Advice on car window tinting

mamboze

If you have a GPS unit, make sure that you get a GPS-compatible film.

In my case the dealer included tint as a freebie, and the Mrs specified Lamina film in the level of tint that we decided on. After receiving the car, we noticed that the GPS would frequently cut out, or place us 10km or so away from our actual location (many times on the top of a mountain, or out in the sea!)

After complaining to the dealer about the GPS not working, they told is it was due to the tint film, which normally contains small metallic particles that interfere with GPS satellite reception. They advised to replace the windshield film with one that's GPS-compatible. We had a 3M film installed and the GPS now works much better, but still occasionally gets confused, probably due to the fact we didn't change out the film on the side windows.

BTW - this was with a factory installed GPS, for which the antenna is buried somewhere in the dashboard. My old, portable GPS worked fine, even with the metallic film.

With Lumina only their top quality film ... Special Series ... states that it is OK with GPS and Easy Pass.

All ceramic films should be okay. In fact I can't understand anyone buying anything but at the present time.

Edited by JAS21

Moved to the Motoring forum. Several topics in there you can look at also regarding tinting.

60% is much too dark unless you don't drive at night. smile.png I have 30% sides and 20% windscreen and it is a happy medium for me.

agreed!

There are Thai standards I believe, but as usual, totally ignored.

If the sides are too dark, it's impossible to see the twits riding bikes or motorbikes at night with little or no lighting.

And different drivers eyes looking through that stuff are not equal, especially those who wear specs..

There is nothing like try before you buy ... I have offered several people the opportunity to sit in mine at night. I have SolarFX ...it's a ceramic ...best I've ever had.

When I bought my vehicles, the dealer recommended what to use. The car has a light tint on the wind shield and darker on the windows. The tint on the wind shield bothers me and I decided to have the dealer remove it but always forgot to tell them. It's still on there. When I bought the truck, again, I let the dealer select the tint, EXCEPT for the windshield. As others have suggested, a dark strip, maybe 6 inches, across the top is the answer.

One wonders why the UK bans tinting ! I have clear screens and can see other traffic with tinting.........idiot drivers who may be on the phone or texting safe from the eyes of the BIB !. The car behind me can see the traffic in front of me because I don't have umpteen stickers on my windscreen and a massive bunch of ecclesiastical nick- knacks hanging from my rear view mirror. Acknowledgement of my courtesy to other road users goes unseen.... not that any was forthcoming in the first place. ..... but one chap did wind his window down once to do so and he was wearing sunglasses !! And the Thai Government are 'concerned' about the number of accidents in the Country which is second only to Eritrea in having the worst accident record in the World.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the wealth of information and opinion, and the pics. I'm nearly overwhelmed ! smile.png

I'm going to have to check out in detail the various brands to see what's on offer. But maximum night-time visibility is a major requirement with cost a much less concern.

One wonders why the UK bans tinting ! I have clear screens and can see other traffic with tinting.........idiot drivers who may be on the phone or texting safe from the eyes of the BIB !. The car behind me can see the traffic in front of me because I don't have umpteen stickers on my windscreen and a massive bunch of ecclesiastical nick- knacks hanging from my rear view mirror. Acknowledgement of my courtesy to other road users goes unseen.... not that any was forthcoming in the first place. ..... but one chap did wind his window down once to do so and he was wearing sunglasses !! And the Thai Government are 'concerned' about the number of accidents in the Country which is second only to Eritrea in having the worst accident record in the World.

My new car inChiang Mai arrived with tinting. I could not see out at night and always worried about the cyclists with no lights and the m/bikes with their shopping blocking the headlight.

I looked up Aus and NZ standards for tinting and replaced the tinting with a safer level. The windscreen worked out well, as the film is not obvious, it has a mirror finish and certainly stops the dashboard and wheel from getting too hot to touch.

Dark tinting in Oz gets you a yellow sticker from the police which prohibits the vehicle from further use. The correct tint gets the phone users caught with a $320 fine for the first offence.

I just bought a new car last week. My wife was handling the negotiations, as she is Thai. She chose 60% on the windscreen and 80% on the windows without asking me first. This is great in the blazing daytime sun, but a nightmare in the dark, particularly when some Thai drivers don't like using their headlights. I find the windscreen ok though, it is just the windows that make night driving difficult.

With Lumina only their top quality film ... Special Series ... states that it is OK with GPS and Easy Pass.

All ceramic films should be okay. In fact I can't understand anyone buying anything but at the present time.

I guess your ceramic is totally awesome. 3M also produces ceramic tint, but their Crystalline seems to be some propriety tech, which in terms of clearness, nobody can compete with.

I just bought a new car last week. My wife was handling the negotiations, as she is Thai. She chose 60% on the windscreen and 80% on the windows without asking me first. This is great in the blazing daytime sun, but a nightmare in the dark, particularly when some Thai drivers don't like using their headlights. I find the windscreen ok though, it is just the windows that make night driving difficult.

What the dealer puts on is usually crap. Go and get it replaced with some proper film. It's a small investment in safety.

30% is a good balance. When we bought our car the sales woman had samples of the tint levels and she recommended which we agreed with a 30% tint. That was all the windows no variance.

30% of what? I just replaced the windshield of one of my cars from 30% to 30%. And what a difference! ;)

I guess your ceramic is totally awesome. 3M also produces ceramic tint, but their Crystalline seems to be some propriety tech, which in terms of clearness, nobody can compete with.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/3ms-window-films-block-heat-uv-rays-dark-tint-77391/

Yes ... but do you want security for your wife when she is out alone ...or any other time ...I see out very well ... they can't see in that well.

Many, me included, like the extra security of being difficult to see.

Yes ... but do you want security for your wife when she is out alone ...or any other time ...I see out very well ... they can't see in that well.

Many, me included, like the extra security of being difficult to see.

LOL. The sense of security... That sounds pretty paranoid to me. What extra security would it actually bring? I guess your doors are locked already.

When I arrive at a police checkpoint, I always open my window right away, so they can see me clearly, and to let them know I cooperate. Usually they wave me through..

You're obviously going to get it removed, unless there's some reason you're trying to get rid of your wife...

I went with a more reflective and less tinted coating to reduce glare and heat buildup and also to make it harder to see in (at my wife's request). Since it is not very dark it is still possible to see out at night reasonably well and spot the 'ghost riders' with no lights. The top striping on the front is a nightmare for me, never considered getting it (tall and sit up very straight in a pick up).

UV absorption is not a matter.

All V-Kool e.g. claim 99% UV protection.

About the numbers: be careful that you don't mix "absorption"/"tinting" percentage with "translucence"/"permeability" percentage.

V-Kool always specifies percentage of translucence.

I have 70% (VK 70), no tradeoff on security for me.

This is in Thai only, but shows what I mean:

http://v-koolcorp.com/%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A2%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%9F%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%8C%E0%B8%A1-solitaire-energy/

This must be Thai truckers favorite biggrin.png

attachicon.gifx15.jpg

Imagine those at night..sad.png

When my truck was reborn it came back with tinted windows, the front windshield was way too dark and i finally decided to get rid off at least 20 centimeters, as I could hardly see at night.

I also roll down the windows before I drive off just because the motorbikes without lights and other crazy things on Thailand's roads.

Whenever I reverse, I turn my whole body around to make sure that there's no child on a bicycle, or an older farang sitting on my rear bumper.

Edited by lostinisaan

Maybe time to buy a new wife now? biggrin.png

NO TINT on the visual part of the windscreen!!!

If it was so good the car makers would have put it there in the first place.

But they don't-----maybe a couple of inches tapering from the top.

What is so hard to understand ??

If you really need the tint on the windscreen wear sunglasses at night or use the white cane outside the drivers side window.

Go ceramic ...dark from outside but fine looking out. SolarFX have a place in CM.

Plenty of advice ...many topics previous on this forum.

As I said go ceramic and you won't regret

I don't agree. Nobody talks about not being able to see other driver's faces or they yours which often solve problems in an instant especially in an urgent predicament. I know it's all about safe guarding stuff inside the vehicle by limiting visibility looking in, but that is minimal in importance IMHO. I love it when I can see everyone in another (older) car. If I was in charge I would ban the money making fashion because that's all it is and an anti social one at that. If you're worried about the glare then wear sunglasses but not the reflective anti social ones that you can only see your own face looking back at you, people love to wear to remain anonymous. Actually you can even take off your sunglasses at night. Simple.

I recently walked away from a car purchase losing my deposit. What amazed me was when I rejected the free tinting it caused more discussion and concern than almost any other aspect of the purchase. I was very interested to know what the first year "free"insurance covered, how the maintenance and warranty programs worked, when the "new"car I was buying was actually manufactured, why the handwritten parts list and invoice (and price) didn't seem to match what I'd ordered. They had or pretended to have no idea. But they thought I was nuts to reject the "free" tinting.

Having rented a couple of cars in Thailand with heavily tinted windscreens and nearly killing a motorcyclist with no rear light at night I decided against it. I did do a bit of research.

Most regulated countries ban tinting the front windscreen and the ones that allow it require at least 70% light transmission for safety . That is not the same as 30% tint because the windows themselves stop some light passing.

There is a quite a lot of discussion on UVA and UVB and skin cancers on the drivers window arm and face. But it would seem that all new cars now come with laminated front and front side windows which as well as being safer minimise the UVA/B.

The government should ban front and front side tinting. Its an easy way to improve road safety without spending a cent on infrastructure.

Tint the back windows if you want to cut down on upholstery fade or limit the already minimal skin cancer risk or you chauffeur celebrities. Wear sunglasses . You can take them off at night.

These are the UK regs - Singapore and US all with much better street lighting, better roads, much stricter driving tests and drink driving laws than Thailand all have something similar. Arguing for tinting is like arguing against seatbelts and crash helmets except you can kill someone else as well as yourself.

Vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or later

The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.

Vehicles first used before 1 April 1985

The front windscreen and front side windows must both let at least 70% of light through.

I recently walked away from a car purchase losing my deposit. What amazed me was when I rejected the free tinting it caused more discussion and concern than almost any other aspect of the purchase. I was very interested to know what the first year "free"insurance covered, how the maintenance and warranty programs worked, when the "new"car I was buying was actually manufactured, why the handwritten parts list and invoice (and price) didn't seem to match what I'd ordered. They had or pretended to have no idea. But they thought I was nuts to reject the "free" tinting.

Having rented a couple of cars in Thailand with heavily tinted windscreens and nearly killing a motorcyclist with no rear light at night I decided against it. I did do a bit of research.

Most regulated countries ban tinting the front windscreen and the ones that allow it require at least 70% light transmission for safety . That is not the same as 30% tint because the windows themselves stop some light passing.

There is a quite a lot of discussion on UVA and UVB and skin cancers on the drivers window arm and face. But it would seem that all new cars now come with laminated front and front side windows which as well as being safer minimise the UVA/B.

The government should ban front and front side tinting. Its an easy way to improve road safety without spending a cent on infrastructure.

Tint the back windows if you want to cut down on upholstery fade or limit the already minimal skin cancer risk or you chauffeur celebrities. Wear sunglasses . You can take them off at night.

These are the UK regs - Singapore and US all with much better street lighting, better roads, much stricter driving tests and drink driving laws than Thailand all have something similar. Arguing for tinting is like arguing against seatbelts and crash helmets except you can kill someone else as well as yourself.

Vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or later

The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.

Vehicles first used before 1 April 1985

The front windscreen and front side windows must both let at least 70% of light through.

Did u order a gray market car?

On our new Hilux we went 40 windshield/60 side windows. The dealer said that's what most everyone opts for. No extra charge for it. I'm having it taken off next service visit. I can't see anything at night. It's like driving with sunglasses on. In fact, even in the brightest sun I don't need my sunglasses. I guess I'm just used to the 100% light transmission on the windshield and 25% light transmission for side windows that is generally the law in the US. We always have a bit of tint at the top of the windshield, but that's a transition from probably something like 40 to zero five inches down. I'm a little confused here though. In the US they quote tint the other way around. Limos are allowed the darkest tint and they call that 5% meaning 5% light transmission. I guess it's the opposite here.

The other piece of this is with all the dark tinted windows there's never any opportunity for driver to driver eye contact. It's nice to know someone sees you when he's sticking his nose out thinking about jumping into traffic.

I once knew a cop at home who thought the laws on their use of deadly force should allow for two bullets through a tinted window before he had to approach the car. I think he was kidding, but I can understand the sense of trepidation that must come along with approaching a car with blacked out windows at night.

On our new Hilux we went 40 windshield/60 side windows. The dealer said that's what most everyone opts for. No extra charge for it. I'm having it taken off next service visit. I can't see anything at night. It's like driving with sunglasses on. In fact, even in the brightest sun I don't need my sunglasses. I guess I'm just used to the 100% light transmission on the windshield and 25% light transmission for side windows that is generally the law in the US. We always have a bit of tint at the top of the windshield, but that's a transition from probably something like 40 to zero five inches down. I'm a little confused here though. In the US they quote tint the other way around. Limos are allowed the darkest tint and they call that 5% meaning 5% light transmission. I guess it's the opposite here.

The other piece of this is with all the dark tinted windows there's never any opportunity for driver to driver eye contact. It's nice to know someone sees you when he's sticking his nose out thinking about jumping into traffic.

I once knew a cop at home who thought the laws on their use of deadly force should allow for two bullets through a tinted window before he had to approach the car. I think he was kidding, but I can understand the sense of trepidation that must come along with approaching a car with blacked out windows at night.

Don't bother with the dealer. Just go and do a proper clear tint, like 3M Crystalline. Go CR70 all around, and you will have no problems.

I think that's the point. They can hide more easily from their complete retardedness.

Hi,

I've decided to have the windows of my Isuzu D-Max tinted. I want to strike a reasonable balance between comfort (UV and heat reduction) on the one hand and road safety (being able to see out clearly, particularly at night) on the other.

The advice I've got from a local supplier (up here in Lampang) is for 40% front screen and 60% on side and rear windows. This seems little dark to me, but I would welcome any comments or advice from members here.

Also, the window tint brand recommended is Lamina. Has anyone had experience with this?

OK ... have you decided ... what did you go for ....

I think that's the point. They can hide more easily from their complete retardedness.

I think you're right. I sure wouldn't want to be recognized doing some of the stuff I see.

• 1 year later...