Bangkok Bikes vs Plod in the Battle of Wits!

Inspire

Bangkok Bikes vs Plod in the Battle of Wits!

Thailand-bikes.jpg

The daily battle of wits between the constabulary and motorcycle riders was stepped up this week in the capital Bangkok when it was announced that laws regarding the use of bridges, flyovers and tunnels were to be strictly enforced. Most, but not all, have signs forbidding bikes, writes Inspire guest writer Gerry Carter.

While this may be a temporary measure as police crackdown on errant motorists of all kinds in the lead up to the Songkran festival it has lead to some interesting sights already.

Last week bikers seeing a checkpoint at the foot of the Rama VII bridge across the Chao Praya and fearing a hefty fine turned back into oncoming traffic to escape creating an almighty dangerous mess above the River of Kings.

At the weekend traffic police were everywhere extracting money from motorcyclists. The cat and mouse battle usually has its own quaint “rules”. Checkpoints are rarely to be seen in the morning or evening rush hours but are particularly prevalent in the daytime and during weekends. Locals get to know just when and where a block is likely and then follow traffic rules.

Police are usually quite reasonable only stopping bikes when they have them banged to rights illegally using overpasses or just not wearing helmets.

Last weekend was one to exercise the utmost care on my journey from Ratchayothin to Rama 3. Not daring to use the flyover at the Rachada-Lat Prao intersection meant a gruelling six minute wait for a green light below…..not fair! Is there really any danger using the bridges as police claim or is it just a way to fleece us downtrodden bikers?

Then came the first tunnel near the Suthisan nick. Ha ha – the inevitable checkpoint! I almost felt like waving in appreciation of the game as they allowed me through and stopped people who hadn’t read the news! So would they be at the second tunnel, they have never ever been at both in more than two decades of using the road. Better play it safe. No checkpoint. Ok, a small point victory to the fuzz, even in their predictability.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/bikes-vs-plod-battle-wits/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-04-09

Motorbike riders are a menace in Bangkok. My point being, they can go places where cars can't like: pavements, the wrong way up one way streets, cutting around cars etc. I do lots of walking around Bangkok, have done for many years, so I speak from experience.

Bangkok has far too many cars? Punish the motorbike riders.

• 2 weeks later...

Thai who go to work on motocy's always wear long black pants, socks and shoe's, jacket and helmet.

Imagine being at the red light in full sun, behind/between smoking buses who produce a lot of extra heat as well and waiting there 6 minutes in the sun.

And you have to do that because you drive a small vehicle which is considered dangerous in the big city.......ting tong krab!