After Wisconsin stumble, Trump moves to reshape his campaign

rooster59

After Wisconsin stumble, Trump moves to reshape his campaign

JONATHAN LEMIRE, Associated Press
JILL COLVIN, Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — When Donald Trump walked onstage for his final rally before Wisconsin's presidential primary, he found an unfamiliar sight: hundreds of empty seats.

The election eve rally Monday at the grand Milwaukee Theatre, which featured the heavily promoted campaign return of the Republican front-runner's wife, was intended as a capstone of Trump's three-day blitz through the state. A big-enough victory could have put Trump on a path to clinch the number of delegates needed to win the nomination before the party's convention in July.

Instead, the half-filled room was an ominous harbinger: He ended up losing to rival Texas Sen. Ted Cruz by 13 percentage points on Tuesday.

Trump still holds a solid lead in the race, but the stinging defeat was evidence that the billionaire real estate mogul's unorthodox campaign — run by largely inexperienced operatives and fueled by the candidate's sheer force of personality — had hit a wall.

The ever-confident Trump canceled his plans for the rest of the week, hunkered down and confronted fears that he was being outmaneuvered.

For nearly a year, the celebrity businessman had kept away from the trappings of a more conventional campaign operation. But days after the Wisconsin loss, he relented on that front as he tries to recapture his momentum and gear up for a potential general election race against likely Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.

Trump is bringing in new staff, including a seasoned Washington operative to run his efforts at the convention, where the nomination appears more likely than ever to be decided. He also plans to place a new focus on policy.

His team is making more strategic decisions as to how to make best use of Trump's time — the campaign's most valuable asset — starting with a refocused effort to run up the score in the April 19 primary in his home state of New York.

"In many ways, I think it's a recognition that the successful primary campaign that Mr. Trump has run has to shift gears," said adviser Ed Brookover, brought on board to help lead the delegate strategy.

With minimal spending on advertising and a small staff in comparison with Clinton's, the Trump campaign has upended the political orthodoxy by riding large rallies and a knack for earning free media, and risen to the top of the Republican race.

But Wisconsin showed the limitations of that strategy.

The state's Republican establishment coalesced around Cruz. Leading the way was Gov. Scott Walker, who had dropped out of the White House race last year and warned against Trump's ascendance. The state's influential conservative talk radio circuit proved an unfriendly venue to a candidate who has glided effortlessly through so many interviews.

Trump also found himself on the defensive after he retweeted an unflattering photo of Cruz's wife, and committed what may have been the first costly gaffe of his bid when he bungled a question about abortion.

His insular campaign leadership, featuring a tiny inner circle led by campaign manager Corey Lewandowski, who's facing charges of battery after an incident with a female reporter, seemed ill-equipped to compete in the bruising and complex fight to line up the support of delegates who will attend the national convention.

In Colorado, for instance, Cruz-supporting delegates swept local contests while Trump's team made repeated flubs. The campaign fired its Colorado state director last Saturday, just after he had arrived. The new director, Patrick Davis, started running Trump's fledgling operation on Wednesday, after Cruz had snapped up nearly one-sixth of the state's delegates.

Davis insisted the Trump operation wasn't worried.

"There's not a concern. Colorado was just next for the campaign to focus on," Davis said, adding that the addition of campaign veteran Paul Manafort to lead the delegate effort shows that Trump understands its importance. "This is the next phase of the campaign, and they understand that. This is when the hand-to-hand combat starts."

Trump and his team had largely assumed he would have the race all but locked up after winning Florida in mid-March, and had largely failed to prepare for a potential fight at the convention. It was then, even before the resounding defeat in Wisconsin, when Roger Stone, a former Trump campaign aide and longtime adviser, put Trump in touch with Manafort, a veteran of numerous conventions.

As part of the campaign shuffle, Manafort will be "responsible for all activities that pertain to Mr. Trump's delegate process and the Cleveland convention," according to a campaign statement.

It is not clear precisely how Lewandowski now fits into the campaign operation. He is expected to continue to have a prominent role that will including traveling with the candidate — highly unusual for a campaign manager.

Manafort's duties areexpected to be broad. He will start with a focus on the delegate efforts, as well as outreach to Washington lawmakers.

"I'm somewhat relieved," Stone said. "This is a complicated process. ... I think that Trump has turned this campaign to Manafort to take it in for a landing."

After canceling a swing that would have included stops in Colorado and California, Trump is now planning to barnstorm across New York ahead of the primary. Winning at least 80 of the state's 95 delegates is the goal.

On Saturday, he spent about a half-hour visiting the National September 11 Memorial & Museum in lower Manhattan along with his wife Melania and several staff members. It was Trump's first visit to the museum, said its spokesman Michael Frazier.

The Trump campaign invited a handful of reporters to join the motorcade, but the candidate scrapped a planned meeting with reporters and returned home without taking questions.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-04-10

There were many times I have disagreed with Trump during his campaign. However, I must admit that he hit it out of the ballpark with his response to Cruz about "New York values" during that debate. Even Cruz had to nod out of respect, genuine or not, with what Trump said.

[The computer failed to show NeverSure's graphic above in my post.]

If only Trump was more like that all of the time.

Edited by helpisgood

Donald Trump Thinks American Workers Aren’t Good Enough for the Trump Organization

"The news that Donald Trump turned down 94 percent of American job applicants to his Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Fla.,

in favor of foreign workers brought in under the H-2B visa program should come as a surprise to absolutely no one."

DELETED

http://www.nationalr...od-enough-trump

Trump and his ilk are the problem. Not the solution.

Edited by seedy
fair use

total BS

that venu was packed, with thousands outside.

I've seen the vid's, from several sources.

Whoa, the lyin' media is in full blitz mode now.

Is it a lie that he lost in Wisconsin as well??

Yes, Donald Trump has been linked to the mob

"Trump and other major developers "had to adapt to that situation" or build elsewhere, said James B. Jacobs, a mafia expert who was part of a state task force on organized crime."

"Trump’s alleged mob dealings were not confined to New York. According to reports from the Huffington Post and Philadelphia Inquirer,"

"Trump made a deal in Atlantic City with Kenneth Shapiro, an associate of mob boss Nicky Scarfo, and mob-connected labor boss Daniel Sullivan."

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/mar/02/ted-cruz/yes-donald-trump-has-been-linked-mob/

Photo 1: Mob Attorney Roy Cohen on the right.

Photo 2: Russian Mafia Boss Felix Satar (who pleaded guilty in 1998 to racketeering in a fraud scheme involving the Genovese and Bonanno crime families) with Donnie.

post-206952-0-65717000-1460314403_thumb.

post-206952-0-63321200-1460314488_thumb.

"Trump and other major developers "had to adapt to that situation" or build elsewhere, said James B. Jacobs, a mafia expert who was part of a state task force on organized crime."

"Trump’s alleged mob dealings were not confined to New York. According to reports from the Huffington Post and Philadelphia Inquirer,"

"Trump made a deal in Atlantic City with Kenneth Shapiro, an associate of mob boss Nicky Scarfo, and mob-connected labor boss Daniel Sullivan."

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/mar/02/ted-cruz/yes-donald-trump-has-been-linked-mob/

Photo 2: Russian Mafia Boss Felix Satar (who pleaded guilty in 1998 to racketeering in a fraud scheme involving the Genovese and Bonanno crime families) with Donnie.

Just FYI, the man in the middle of photo 1 is NYC Mayor Ed Koch.

Maybe Trump can re-shape his campaign by espousing some ideas which will help Americans, instead of putting forth ill-thought-out plans to hobble America.

Some examples of Trumpisms:

35 to 45% added import tariffs: will start a trade war and jack prices up 50% for imported goods.

Keep out most foreign workers which will jack prices up for US businesses, or just tank the businesses altogether.

Keep offending every foreign leader he has any dealings with

Breaking deals. Not just his two former wives, but business deals galore.

Abolish DOE which will ensure increased stratification of US schools. Ghetto schools will lack facilities. Many elitist schools will teach Bible and and other non-scientific topics. US students will continue to lag behind the rest of the developed world.

Criminalize women who seek abortions. No matter whether it's from rape or incest or sonograms which show a deformed fetus.

Encourage hooliganism at rallies

howto, on 10 Apr 2016 - 10:43, said:snapback.png

total BS

MZurf said...

No, Trump did not take 'all' of Wisconsin.

100% Reporting
Delegates Allocated: 42/42
Delegates
T. Cruz 48.2% 531,129 36
D. Trump 35.1% 386,370 6
J. Kasich 14.1% 155,200
M. Rubio 1.0% 10,569
B. Carson 0.5% 5,608
J. Bush 0.3% 3,153
R. Paul 0.2% 2,491
Uninstructed 0.2% 2,288
M. Huckabee 0.1% 1,428
C. Christie 0.1% 1,310
C. Fiorina 0.1% 825
R. Santorum 0.0% 510
J. Gilmore 0.0% 242

Do you have any common sense to tell me why??

While you are not an american, can't vote,

and you do not have a dog in this fight...

I will ignore you.

This not how it is suppose to work.

Don't care if you are liberal or conserative,

Don't care if you are Democrat or Repubician...

THIS IS NOT HOW IT SHOULD WORK.

And you know it. You should be pissed off.

For the Dem's, superdelagates.

For the 'Pubs, stealing the delagates (RNC/GOP).

Condsider Louisana...

Trump won, Crus got more delegates,

Condsider Colorado...

Here is one pissed-off republican in Colorado...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJT_Zbu6LcE

Ohh, there is so much more,

Gotta go, big fire out back, fire dept is here.

Photo 2 is Alex Salmond, leader of the Scots Nationalist Party, and if you mouse over the picture it actually is entitled "Trump-Salmond".

You must be a practical joker.

howto, on 10 Apr 2016 - 10:43, said:snapback.png

total BS

MZurf said...

No, Trump did not take 'all' of Wisconsin.

100% Reporting

Delegates Allocated: 42/42

Delegates

T. Cruz 48.2% 531,129 36

D. Trump 35.1% 386,370 6

J. Kasich 14.1% 155,200

M. Rubio 1.0% 10,569

B. Carson 0.5% 5,608

J. Bush 0.3% 3,153

R. Paul 0.2% 2,491

Uninstructed 0.2% 2,288

M. Huckabee 0.1% 1,428

C. Christie 0.1% 1,310

C. Fiorina 0.1% 825

R. Santorum 0.0% 510

J. Gilmore 0.0% 242

Do you have any common sense to tell me why??

While you are not an american, can't vote,

and you do not have a dog in this fight...

I will ignore you.

This not how it is suppose to work.

Don't care if you are liberal or conserative,

Don't care if you are Democrat or Repubician...

THIS IS NOT HOW IT SHOULD WORK.

And you know it. You should be pissed off.

For the Dem's, superdelagates.

For the 'Pubs, stealing the delagates (RNC/GOP).

Condsider Louisana...

Trump won, Crus got more delegates,

Condsider Colorado...

Here is one pissed-off republican in Colorado...

Ohh, there is so much more,

Gotta go, big fire out back, fire dept is here.

Big Fire?

Why don't you ask Trump to come by, he is full off piss anyway.

"listen, I don't know who's spreading those rumors about me being buddies and hiring mob people. I'll find out who's saying that and sue them for a billion dollars. Or someone might break their legs. I don't know. I don't know Sater. What's that you say? 'Sater is a senior member of my campaign staff.' Well, maybe he is, maybe he isn't, what's important is Americans are angry. Very angry. Obama has been doing a terrible job. I will do a tremendous job. I will make deals. I will make deals so great it will make your head spin. You will be so happy with me. You will love me. I love all my supporters. People who don't vote for me are losers. I'm going to tell Sater about that. Ok, I admitted it, I know Sater. So what's the big deal? You got another gotcha question? I don't have time for this. I've gotta go count my billions and billions of dollars. And no I can't release my tax returns because I'm being audited. Is that a law? What does it matter? You're asking me if I will release my tax returns from the two years prior? What are you trying to deflect from the issues? I'm a very important and rich person. My time is worth a hundred thousand dollars an hour. I don't have time to waste listening to your dumb questions. You're breath is bad. Did anyone every tell you your breath smells awful? You should buy some Trump Breath Freshener. Get out of my way before I sue you."

Trump says it exactly like it is for the Republican Party. He is the moral and ethical values of the Right Wing personified. He should be the candidate for President representing the Republican Party. Go Donald. It will be HUUUUUUUGE!!!!!!

Vote 1 Trump Republican Candidate for Presidential election 2016.

Make America Great Again!!!! or Huge or Big or something like that.

I believe that's Roy Cohn, Joe McCarthy's right hand mouthpiece and one of the world's biggest POS. Yeah, and also Donald Trump's lawyer. Died of AIDS which to his dying day insisted was liver cancer. The Donald has a long history of hanging with the scum of the earth.

^^^

Yes.

That's him.

He also represented mafia leaders Carmine “Cigar” Galante and Anthony “Fat Tony” Salerno.

"When McCarthy was finally censured, in 1954, Cohn was thought to be finished, too."

"He moved back to New York City and joined the law firm Saxe, Bacon & Bolan. But instead of fading into obscurity,

Cohn became a socialite with a roster of high-powered, famous, pious, and allegedly murderous clients."

"Cohn’s tactics were thought to be so unethical and dishonest by the legal establishment (he was eventually disbarred) that Esquire dubbed him “a legal executioner.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/07/23/trump-s-mobbed-up-mccarthyite-mentor.html

Edited by iReason

Can you imagine if Hillary had friends like Donald Trump?

Forget Hillary and Bernie, it doesn't matter. I trust either of them to be great leaders.
Trump/Cruz et al...the Republican Party establishment despises these candidates as everyone should. These candidates now pose the enormous threat of potentially causing a giant split within the Party that could lead to the utter destruction of the entire Republican Party itself. clap2.gif
Go Trump. I love what this guy's doing. I wonder how this all going to come out in the end? How will Donald spin this abortion melt down so he is actually the winner? Will his peeps still love him after he screws them over and does what's good for Donald Trump, as he's always done in the past?
It is a remarkable story. thumbsup.gif

Interesting that both HRC and Trump call NY state their home, though both have homes in other states. can voters vote for any candidate, or must they stick with their declared party? They should change the name 'party' to something else, like group, clan or politicos, because it has little to do with a party in the fun sense.

the Tuesday after NY, the 26th, will have six states and nearly twice as many delegates as NY state. Should be interesting. ...and then June 7: California. Huge for Sanders.

Note to Republican delegates going to Cleveland: Try to keep your hotel name and room number secret (also get hotel workers in the lobby sworn to secrecy). You don't want a group of armed people showing up at your door at night, shouting threats.

Yeah, this guy is a real piece of work Pinot. Just one in a long line of despicable characters that Trump has done business with.

The worlds largest arms dealer and Merchant of Death, Adnan Khashoggi being another...

Trump picked stock fraud felon as senior adviser

“Donald Trump knew a man he named as a senior business adviser in 2010 had been convicted in a major Mafia-linked stock fraud scheme,

according to Associated Press interviews and a review of court records.”

“He pleaded guilty in 1998 to one count of racketeering for his role in a $40 million stock fraud scheme involving the prominent Genovese and Bonanno crime families,

according to court records.

Prosecutors called the operation a pump-and-dump scheme, in which insiders manipulate the price of obscure stocks and then sell them to hapless investors at inflated prices.

Five years earlier, a New York State court had sentenced Sater to more than a year in prison for stabbing a man in the face with a broken margarita glass.”

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/29c255c0b69a48258ecae69a61612537/trump-picked-stock-fraud-felon-senior-adviser

post-206952-0-65912100-1460382592_thumb.

Edited by iReason

I think some of the stories showing the sordid underbelly of Trump's friends and his pseudo-criminal wheeling-dealing will surface during the one-on-one general campaign. For now, Dems (and Republican insiders) are wisely holding back. It's not clear whether T will be the Rep's choice. Plus, Trump will likely self-implode before Nov 8. He's his own worst enemy. Like a hyena with a fatal disease which is harassing the community - just let some time go by, and the beast won't be a threat.

A Bigoted racist troll post and one reply has been removed

Thank you.

This is off-topic. but rimmer,

do you really finger-pick bluegrass?

Just curious as my 2 boys have been

learning finger-picking for 1.5 years.

They are becoming quite decent.

OK, back on topic...