Green moat water safe for Songkran, say Chiang Mai authorities

webfact

Green moat water safe for Songkran, say Chiang Mai authorities

moat.jpg
Image: Daily News

CHIANG MAI:-- Chiang Mai residents worried about the safety of the water in the city moat posted pictures of a menacing looking green sludge near the city gate.

With thousands of revellers expected at the Songkran festival they were concerned about the possibility of skin diseases, reports Daily News.

But local officials alerted by the complaints have said that the water is fine if somewhat green from leaves that fell in high winds on Saturday and weed growing in the water due to high temperatures at this time of the year.

Chatri Cheumnocharn of the Chiang Mai municipal authority said that it was natural phenomena and the water was safe for Songkran.

Workers removed leaves and sucked sludge caused by weed from the moat Sunday so at least it looks cleaner.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-11

And the Chiang Mai Public Analyst has supposedly said that the colour of the water was not a problem However bathers should be aware they might catch Leptospirosis, Schismosotiasis and Labyrinthitis for starters from bacteria in the canal. He is rumoured to have assured the public that Chiang Mai hospitals were, naturally, well qualified to treat these conditions. Musht be shome mishtake shurely?

Edited by laolover88

And I have it on good authority that effluent from one or more local public health laboratories is regularly discharged into the moat. I hate to think what the risks are from that. Still say it's safe? I finished up with double ear infections from being sprayed with moat water two Songkrans ago and will be avoiding the area this week.

Edited by Classic Ray

Anyone who has been here awhile has probably been sprayed a little with this stuff

I know on some days while on the scooter & the fountain sprayers are shooting ...the wind

will carry the spray right into our faces as we ride past

Smelly stuff like old naam plaa & that is just a fine mist 555

I would not want to get a bucket full in the face smile.png

Anyone with a wife or relative working in a local Hospital will tell you that for weeks/months after Songkran people are being treated for ailments caused by the Moat water. Common problems are eye, ear, throat and skin infections.

Anyone who believes a word said by local 'authorities' here needs their head tested !

And I have it on good authority that effluent from one or more local public health laboratories is regularly discharged into the moat. I hate to think what the risks are from that. Still say it's safe? I finished up with double ear infections from being sprayed with moat water two Songkrans ago and will be avoiding the area this week.

not to mention what the Chinese tourists use the moat for.

Still it can't be as bad as the famous San Saeb canal in Bangkok......

Please officials if your going to give bullshit replies to questions get your untrue facts straight, the algae bloom has been there for over 3 weeks noy from leaves on saturday, I walk a part of the southern moat every morning and the vivd green has been there at least that long,

They have put the white plastic buoy lines out, when asked one of the workers said it was a safe area for the children to swim, yep in the vivid green stuff.

I wont be venturing anywhere remotely near the moat, the water pistol sellers had drums full of moat water this morning that was a very brown colour with a tinge of green ready to load their customers purchases.