Out of tune

At this time of the year especially, with so many holding outdoor parties and concerts, I am baffled by the way Thais have no shame in hollering away into the nearest microphone even though they are obviously completely tone-deaf. I am baffled for two reasons: one, if tone is such an essential part of the language, why is it so often totally absent when they sing? And two, when face is such a critical part of everyday life, why are so many so readily prepared to lose it by demonstrating, at volume, how poor they are at singing?

Before the usual 'if you don't like then f... off home' and other such comments begin, I am not whinging. I just find it amusing. And baffling.

They're enjoying themselves. You should try it some time.

GREAT! Only took eight minutes to get a sarcastic comment. Probably a bit slow though by TV member standards.

Why start a thread on such a topic and not even tolerate a completely appropriate comment?

What is sarcastic about it?

If you want to hear yea sayers only then stay to yourself.

Yea: I don't find their karaoke skills awesome.

But if I can flee and/or my walls and windows don't tremble from the noise level I ignore it.

I was hoping for some kind of insight as to why when tone is so important in the language it is often totally absent when they sing. Of course there are very good singers too, but the bad ones even get to perform on so-called talent shows on tv. In the real world they'd be laughed out of the audition.

Traditional Thai music has a different tonality than Western music. Although modern Thai music is very western sounding, just go back 40 years or so and they sound quite 'off-key' to our ears.

Also, Thai's tend to be completely unself-conscious about how well or how badly they sing when they are enjoying themselves.

If someone is enjoying themselves, its hardly the end of the world if they cant sing, live n let live.smile.pngthumbsup.gif

Trans has got away with it for years in LOS.........laugh.png

Exactly my point......giggle.gif

Hope you enjoyed "Trans Song Collection vol.2" you ordered....wub.png

laugh.png

Never mind Trans, Charlie hasn't even heard you singing yet, although I did have a narrow escape about three Christmas's ago.cheesy.gif

Traditional Thai music has a different tonality than Western music. Although modern Thai music is very western sounding, just go back 40 years or so and they sound quite 'off-key' to our ears.

Also, Thai's tend to be completely unself-conscious about how well or how badly they sing when they are enjoying themselves.

Thanks. See. Someone has something sensible and constructive to say, alone among many who didn't.

If someone is enjoying themselves, its hardly the end of the world if they cant sing, live n let live.smile.pngthumbsup.gif

laugh.png

Is the backing music pan pipes or exhaust pipes?

I've often wondered the same thing, but never got an answer that would stick.

I wish a couple of them knew how to balance base with the rest of the track though, whatever the singing. There are some good ones, but still it's the same handful of songs, a bit like us hearing Hotel California, Country road or My Way for the gazillionth time. There's so much more talent out there, but I can only guess that it's the promoters that decide which bands/singers get to be 'superstar'.

I had the same issue in UK. I'd go to a local where there was a live band, and they never played any of their own songs that would be fresh, always cover versions - no matter how well they do it.

Also, if you go behind the speakers where the DJ is, it's actually a nice level and no ear bleeds that the punters get.

when face is such a critical part of everyday life,

It's no more nor less a critical part of everyday life for Thais than for everyone else. A large percentage of the rants on TV are from Khun Farangs who have suffered, or think they've suffered, a loss of face. For the average person, Thai or anyone, s/he fully understands that singing is not something for which they're famous. They're just having fun.

A lot people are pretty bad at playing football or shooting pool or cooking or posting messages on TV or whatever. Yet they still go about doing these things in full view because they're not going to worry about it and they, Thai or farang, are not worried about losing face even if the farang myth about loss of face motivating everything in Thailand is perpetuated on Thai Visa.

Many members of the farang chorus are tone deaf when it comes to being aware of how pompous, petty and petulant they sound when whining incessantly and yet they keep doing it. Whether you or I like it is our problem, not theirs.

I understand your question. And my answer is that it is one of those aspects of Thai society that does not have a restriction. Many sing to themselves at times. Especially the women and girls. In tune or not. It is universal release I think. Kareoke is less about competition than self expression. Nobody stops a bad singer. Instead there seems to be more face in the attempt than in declining it. And alcohol certainly disinhibits many.

And most Thai songs/music are rated on the lyrical content rather than the musical. Traditionally at least. The more modern efforts come and go as quickly as western pop.

At this time of the year especially, with so many holding outdoor parties and concerts, I am baffled by the way Thais have no shame in hollering away into the nearest microphone even though they are obviously completely tone-deaf. I am baffled for two reasons: one, if tone is such an essential part of the language, why is it so often totally absent when they sing? And two, when face is such a critical part of everyday life, why are so many so readily prepared to lose it by demonstrating, at volume, how poor they are at singing?

Before the usual 'if you don't like then f... off home' and other such comments begin, I am not whinging. I just find it amusing. And baffling.

I agree mate, they can't sing but are broody brilliant at making a noise.

I knew you were gonna get crucified by the sunshiners by the way.

laugh.png

At least he gives out earplugs at the start!

seems like people are always banging on about how they' love the culture' here, then spend their time moaning about it, actually most are almost totally ignorant of it anyway when it comes to music and singing.