Riding Newly Purchased Motorcyle with no License Plate in Bangkok

Kurush

I am a foreigner living in Bangkok. I have just purchased a 300cc scooter directly from an official dealer with a bank loan. I had to show them four items: "my passport, visa, work permit, and my motorcycle driving license". The bike does not have a license plate and the only paper that I have right now is the dealer's buying receipt. I asked the staff working in dealer shop that what happens if I ride and police stop me? She replied that I only need to show the dealer receipt and I am good to go, but when I came back home, and asking people around, they say no I can not ride my bike until I get my license plate. It might take up to 2 months for them to deliver me the license (about this 2 months period also I am not sure).

Does it mean I can't use my newly purchased bike for 2 months ?!

Thank you for sharing your information regarding this in advance.

OK I will contact them as soon as they get opened to see if I can get a red plate. It is Songkran festival, Thursday 14th of April, and they are closed till next Monday 18th of April. So unlucky; have to wait all the holidays, four more days!

Took two weeks to get my plates in Bangkok. In theory if you go out of Bangkok then you need a log book to show where and when you travelled out of the area (I think), but I've also heard that you cannot go out of Bangkok till you get your plates, but I just rode with no plates for a couple of weeks. If you get stopped, just show the papers you have to show it's a new bike. You will also have your licence and your insurance. This should be enough. Of course it depends why you get stopped! Just don't drink and ride and stay off the Expressways and you should be OK.

Ok thanks all of you for the replies. I am riding and so far I have not been stopped. I will try to talk to a Thai policeman later on to get authentic information regarding this issue. My Thai is terrible though. I will post their official response here for future people to use.

I hope it is only two weeks as "Familyonthemove" says, to get the license plate, and not two months.

You should have an isurance as well. I was now stopped once, and when Police asked where's the license plate, I just told him " goverment works slow" and was on my way. They know it, didn't even bother to check any papers. In fact I bought the bike in late January and still don't have the plate. Saying that, the DLT issued the paper for the immigration wrong twice (2 times wrong amphoe) until I drove down myself to got it sorted. Well good I did, there were mispellings in the my name and the name of the country, so that was sorted out as well, otherwise it would have probably taken 4 attempts. (Glad there were only 10 English words in).

I can't really blame the DLT for the amphoe thing, as the dealer calls the dealer next to DLT to get the paperwork done, so they probablly speak about 20 s about my paper and the next 20 min about lunch dinner and where to party, so after all the years I do not wonder anymore.

Yep no red plate on my bike since purchased 3rd March. Stopped by the BIB on tuesday, decided to act dumb no speaky thai at all. He moaned about no plate no good and musttered nung roi song roi saam roi whilst pointing at the empty space where a plate should be. Showed him the docs and basic insurance slip and also license ... he kept on and on so I gave him my phone to phone the dealer ....to and fro for about 10 mins coming back to the same story and eventually he gave up and told me to go.

Must admit Im not 100% sure how the law stands on this one and I think he may have just been edging for a backhander. One would think you need some kinda plate on a bike but not sure. Still waiting for the proper white plate to come ...it really is a poor system they have in place here.

• 2 weeks later...

You are allowed to ride without a plate for 30 days, when stopped, just show the invoice and you are good to go.

It took Honda Big Wing 7 weeks to get me my plate.

Always said "maybe tomorrow", until I told them I would have them pay the fine if I got one for riding without a plate, got my plate the next day smile.png

You are allowed to ride without a plate for 30 days, when stopped, just show the invoice and you are good to go.

Always said "maybe tomorrow", until I told them I would have them pay the fine if I got one for riding without a plate, got my plate the next day smile.png

Uuups, 30 days. I got the bike on 19 January, and still no plates bah.gif

They had a hard time @ DLT to find my stamps in the passport, as they were not next to each other, so that was last week Monday. I'll give them another week to sort it after that I'll show up every day, that's something they don't like at all. But, I take the bike to Lao on the 9th or 10th, so it get's time they do their @#%$#* job.

Edited by jethro69

They don't use red plates in Bangkok! I got my plates from the dealer in just over a week. No need for you to worry.

Via Tapatalk

I bought my Forza in Bangkok, and rode it all over the place with no plate for a few weeks, even through police checks and no one bothered me.

. I will try to talk to a Thai policeman later on to get authentic information regarding this issue.

Sorry but that just made me laugh, you must be new around here, 5555 ask a cop for authentic info 5555

Please accept my apologies, i can't satop 555.

I was at a Tesco yesterday and took this photo. (TX tag)

My MC arrived from the US last week and still has Kentucky plates on it. They said it would take 3 months for my plates to arrive. I"m riding with KY plates and will see how far it will get me.

n9hLFk.jpg

My MC arrived from the US last week and still has Kentucky plates on it. They said it would take 3 months for my plates to arrive. I"m riding with KY plates and will see how far it will get me.

n9hLFk.jpg

Where bouts in Kentucky?

OP: I am still waiting for plates and have been stopped at two checkpoints since buying the new bike. Both times showed them the dealership receipt and had no problems.

n9hLFk.jpg

Where bouts in Kentucky?

OP: I am still waiting for plates and have been stopped at two checkpoints since buying the new bike. Both times showed them the dealership receipt and had no problems.

We were in a little town call London, south central KY on I75.

n9hLFk.jpg

Where bouts in Kentucky?

We were in a little town call London, south central KY on I75.

Very familiar with it. Born and raised in KY myself.

I've just got my plate today. Bought the bike on 14/04/2016 and got the plate on 05/05/2016.

So it took precisely 19 days or about 3 weeks to have my plate.

During this three weeks I rode almost everywhere. From Downtwon, the famous Sukhumvit road, Silom, and NANA, to all the way to non touristic suburbs, and police never stopped me.

Maybe one reason was that I always drove wearing full gear, respected the driving rules, and never went out after 10pm. I think most of the check points usually set up after the heat of day is gone (6pm onward). It is so hot in day time that no policeman is willing to stand in midst of smoke and heat and check why your license plate is missing. It might be a different story in the evening or at night.

Edited by Kurush

Maybe one reason was that I always drove wearing full gear, respected the driving rules, and never went out after 10pm. I think most of the check points usually set up after the heat of day is gone (6pm onward). It is so hot in day time that no policeman is willing to stand in midst of smoke and heat and check why your license plate is missing. It might be a different story in the evening or at night.

Not where I live, almost daily checkpoints from noon to 4:30 PM.

I know it is very safe to ride around here after 5 PM smile.png

Went to the DLT on wednesday, and asked (politely) if they had my green book ready by any chance. Well in fact they had, but the license plate itself was still missing and might only arriving next month. I was asking if they could give me the green book, as I'll take the bike into Lao in a few days. They were not to happy, as they said usually they'll only hand it together, but after a bit of discussion, they gave me the book, with the tax sticker in. I got even a receipt (for the tax) with a phone number if there would be problems with the customs. So this afternoon I just printed the license plate myself, and I'm good to go.

As far customs are concerned, they never had a look at the bike at all.

I wished i could conversate like that with Big Wing ratchaprueck. They can't speak english so i left the showroom.

My plates took 3 weeks or so and i got stopped by police in the meantime but they even didn't see my bike had no plates.

If they stop you then ONLY speak english to them and answer in long polite sentences. Okay you go sir, byebye,tongue.png

• 2 weeks later...

Im not sure either.

When i bought my Kawasaki Z800 back in November i didnt get my plate till late december almost new years time.

but i was riding my bike around like a regular person would but my dealer did say that i needed to keep my papers with me, it included the receipt for the purchase and my green book had to be with me at all times as well as ur drivers licence.

but yeah you should be fine if you just keep ur documents with you at all times. biggrin.png

I have the dealers slip and the insurance certificate, I was told that that was enough, I have ridden my bike without plates all over Samut Prakarn, Klong Dan, Chasongsao, chonburi, down to Pattaya and have never been stopped at all.

• 1 year later...
You should be able to get red temporary plates from the dealer.

Red plates are not issued for motorbikes all you need is the bill of sale from the dealer where you bought the motorbike but bear in mind that you are not allowed to leave the province where the bike was purchased until you receive your number plates

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Celer et Audax said:

Red plates are not issued for motorbikes all you need is the bill of sale from the dealer where you bought the motorbike but bear in mind that you are not allowed to leave the province where the bike was purchased until you receive your number plates

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Wrong red plates are issued for motorcycles, you only have to ask and pay deposit

Wrong red plates are issued for motorcycles, you only have to ask and pay deposit

Officially red plates for motorcycles don't exist in Thailand. Some provinces issue them one way or another. I know you can get them in Pattaya but not Bangkok. In Bangkok you can just ride around with a copy of the invoice and proof of insurance.

13 hours ago, Nickymaster said:

Officially red plates for motorcycles don't exist in Thailand. Some provinces issue them one way or another. I know you can get them in Pattaya but not Bangkok. In Bangkok you can just ride around with a copy of the invoice and proof of insurance.

Wrong!!! I have had them in Bangkok, Udon thani, and Loei and have seen many in Pattaya and phuket, open your eyes and you will see many all over thailand

My first new bike I had for a month until I got plates. I was stopped one time and showed them some papers, they let me go, no problem.

Now I have a new bike again and the dealer said it will take 2 months to get the plates.....Oh well, 2 weeks in, no one has stopped me. I do keep all the paper work with me, but of course I'm avoiding the usual checkout traps (Rama 4), prefer not to have to deal with them even if I had my plates etc.

Last time I drove down to Pattaya I was stopped 4 times on the way, so might not be making that trip until I get my plates and greenbook.

/S