Family (40ish w 5 yo) moving to Thailand. Your thoughts?

Tawan77

I've been reading a number of threads on Thai living, most recently, the Under-50-you're-wasting-your-time thread.

I spent a year in Thailand when I was 26, teaching in a rural Rajabhat college. I'm 39 now, and thinking of moving there in the coming years. I've built up a great life in Canada, have a wife and daughter, own a home, and have worked in my chosen profession in the arts, earning a decent and steady income. Thing is, I hate winter here and I've grown restless with our comfortable life. I'm ready for new challenges, and have always longed to live in the tropics, Thailand in particular.

We were in SE Asia, mostly Thailand, for 10 weeks, Jan-Mar, this year, and it just served to reaffirm that Thailand is where I want to be. When I came the first time, I came to stay and immersed myself in the language and culture... but love led me away. It was the right choice; married her. But I never really wanted to leave in the first place.

Here's what I'm thinking: I'd happily take a 14 class hours/week teaching job for 40k B/mo for a few years until my wife turns 50 and can get the retirement visa. I don't dream of being an English teacher again, but it'd be ok for a few years. After 3 years of working, we can also apply for residency. We could make a great deal of money renting our property in Canada--probably 3000 USD/mo. I'd also buy a condo in Thailand and rent it out for 35k B/mo while we rent a rural home for ourselves for 4000 B/mo. At some point, when we felt financially stable enough or wanted more space and comfort, we'd likely move into the condo.

My daughter's upbringing is at the forefront of my thinking. I want her to have great opportunity to do whatever she wants in life, wherever she wants. I imagine some of you will say to stay in Canada and that her education and university here would be hard to beat. What I would want for her in Thailand would be integration into Thai society. Still young, I think she could go to Thai public school and get caught up with the language becoming fluent in a few years. At that point I'd look to putting her in an EP school, which would keep both her English and Thai progressing. In high school if we felt it necessary, we could look to an International School if we felt her opportunities would be stunted by completing HS in an EP school. My thoughts are that on this track, she'd be fluent Thai and English and with good grades, could apply to universities in Thailand or anywhere else in the world.

Some more info:

- neither my wife or I are Thai

- we're both educators

- I speak Thai really well for someone who only spent a year there and would work towards my own fluency and would speak it with my daughter (until her English learning became of greater concern). How well? I could verbally communicate this post to someone, clumsily and with a lot of grammatical errors, but could make all of the points understood

- While we would have farang friends, we're not interested in siloing ourselves from Thai society and living in the expat bubble--never-learn-Thai-why-would-I lifestyle. (Lots of those in the education threads!) We love Thai culture, Thai people and have great Thai friends

- we like simple Thai living. Whitewashed cinderblock apt with a gas-burner tripod "stove" and some floor cushions is fine for us. I like having my 50B phatkhrapao from a local shop and boozing on whiskey-soda with tons of ice. We don't need a fancy condo in HuaHin, though we'd invest in one! (partly for when the grandparents visit).

I'm really interested in hearing your range--and from what I've learned of this place, there'll be a range!--of thoughts on this. Are there serious holes I've overlooked? What problems can you foresee. Thanks for your ideas everyone.

Edited by Tawan77

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring your kids to Thailand, its the greatest country on earth with the best system of government and finest education Ive ever seen, all Thais are friendly and will do anything to help you................is that better?

Edited by kannot

if u care about your daughter I would never let her set foot in Thailand until shes 18+, I personally find the Thai culture abhorrent, selfish un-caring , engrossed in their religious fantasy indoctrinated with bs throughout

Heh, that's one opinion! Abhorrent, that's harsh. That broad brush is pretty harsh too. Do you still live there? There are people engrossed in religious fantasy everywhere... as well as the selfish and uncaring. I didn't find my Thai friend who lent me her motorbike for a year to be selfish, nor the ones who loaded their pickup truck to help us move from Rat'buri to Koh Phangan. The Thai strangers that drove my wife and daughter to their departing bus were pretty caring too...

But thanks. I DO care about my daughter's well-being more than anything.

Sounds like you should leave if you're still there...

if u care about your daughter I would never let her set foot in Thailand until shes 18+, I personally find the Thai culture abhorrent, selfish un-caring , engrossed in their religious fantasy indoctrinated with bs throughout

Heh, that's one opinion! Abhorrent, that's harsh. That broad brush is pretty harsh too. Do you still live there? There are people engrossed in religious fantasy everywhere... as well as the selfish and uncaring. I didn't find my Thai friend who lent me her motorbike for a year to be selfish, nor the ones who loaded their pickup truck to help us move from Rat'buri to Koh Phangan. The Thai strangers that drove my wife and daughter to their departing bus were pretty caring too...

But thanks. I DO care about my daughter's well-being more than anything.

Sounds like you should leave if you're still there...

you asked for differing opinions but now dont want them

Sounds like you will have enough money to get by and, as you are both educators, you can supplement your daughters Thai education with home-schooling.

Not sure where the 14 hr/week - 40k/month teaching jobs are though.

Why not plan a 1 or 2-year stay initially - leave your options open to return home if it doesn't work out.

Sounds like you will have enough money to get by and, as you are both educators, you can supplement your daughters Thai education with home-schooling.

Not sure where the 14 hr/week - 40k/month teaching jobs are though.

Why not plan a 1 or 2-year stay initially - leave your options open to return home if it doesn't work out.

Absolutely, we'd be open to leaving if it weren't working out. I don't like the idea of saying "we'll go for a year" though. That's when people don't commit to living in their new place, and never really settle. It will never become home if you don't invest in making it so. So we'd plan to stay, while at the same time, be open to leaving. I'd have to rebuild my career if we came back to Canada, but it'd be possible.

Bring your kids to Thailand, its the greatest country on earth with the best system of government and finest education Ive ever seen, all Thais are friendly and will do anything to help you................is that better?

kannot, I thanked you for your post. I'm not closed to your opinion, it's just that such broad abhorrence of everything Thai just doesn't help me much. I welcome critiques of the education system and pointing out frustrating pieces of the culture or government, and stumbling blocks to settling, but some specifics would be better than your broad distaste for everything Thai.

If you are interested in ensuring your daughter has a good education then that will not be found within the Thai public school system especially in a rural area.

Unless you can afford to enroll the child with one of the better International Schools which provide an education based on a UK/US syllabus then IMHO you are condemning your daughter to guaranteed academic underachievement. The facts are easily found.

Think carefully before acting out a dream.

Then just go for it and take it from there.

Not much to add really.

You didn't ask how my wife feels! [emoji14]

(She's open to it, enjoyed living there, but not as excited as I am to make it permanent)

LOL.

True that. Not my business really and somehow I assumed you both agreed already.

If you are interested in ensuring your daughter has a good education then that will not be found within the Thai public school system especially in a rural area.

Unless you can afford to enroll the child with one of the better International Schools which provide an education based on a UK/US syllabus then IMHO you are condemning your daughter to guaranteed academic underachievement. The facts are easily found.

Thanks John. I appreciate this post. Did you have kids attend schools in Thailand?

Do you not think that 3 years of HS in a quality International School would be enough to reopen those post-secondary opportunities?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks John. I appreciate this post. Did you have kids attend schools in Thailand?

Do you not think that 3 years of HS in a quality International School would be enough to reopen those post-secondary opportunities?

You claim to be an "educator/teacher" in which case you do not need me to point out that a child's academic future is largely based on the foundation years.

The better International schools are extremely selective and it is doubtful that they would offer a place to a child who's basic education had been provided in the Thai public arena. ( These schools survive on academic success not failure)

I have not personally had experience of putting a child through the Thai education system but my Thai neighbours educate their children privately and complain about the cost but they would never consider sending the children to the local public school.

The above is, unfortunately, very true.

It would not IMO be at all responsible to put your daughter in a Thai public school -- and especially not one in a rural area -- even aside from the likely loss of at least a year due to initial language barrier.

Do not do this unless you can afford to have her in a private school.

Other "holes" : unlikely to make 40K a month teaching and cost of living in Thailand has gone up considerably. So will need to draw down on your savings a lot more than you may plan to. Unlikely to be able to rent out a condo for more than your mortgage payments on it and its upkeep (or are you planning to pay full price outright?).

Don't forget in your budgeting the need for private health insurance for the whole family. And consider quality of health care in your choice of location. Even with health insurance, will have to pay out of pocket for dental, out-patient medical etc so be sure to budget for that as well.

Very helpful, thanks.

Recent inquiries have shown English teacher salaries to be 30-60k B.

Looks like 80k USD can buy a nice 2BR condo in Cha Am. We could pay for that in no time and reap the rental income.

Sorry to hear the consensus on Thai public schools. :( the cost of 12 years of private school education is likely a deal breaker.

John, the viewpoint of your Thai neighbours... I'll heed that too

You also won't be applying for permanent residency after 3 years as you would need to earn and pay taxes on 80k a month minimum. And that is the bare minimum.

Others have said it, but if you put your child in a village school she will end up far behind her peers.

My wife's niece is dual USA/Thai. She recently moved back to the States and she is having big problems with school. To cut a long story short her class mates think she is an idiot because her knowledge and comprehension is so badly retarded. As for her Thai - it's completely useless to her now.

Why would you choose that for your daughter?

why thailand to the exclusion of other countries?

reading behind the lines my guess is it was experiences you had here with women while single. you should really tske an honest look at that before you move your family here.

You also won't be applying for permanent residency after 3 years as you would need to earn and pay taxes on 80k a month minimum. And that is the bare minimum.

Others have said it, but if you put your child in a village school she will end up far behind her peers.

My wife's niece is dual USA/Thai. She recently moved back to the States and she is having big problems with school. To cut a long story short her class mates think she is an idiot because her knowledge and comprehension is so badly retarded. As for her Thai - it's completely useless to her now.

Ahh, did not know those residency requirements. Thanks. So one needs to be earning 80k/mo. Maybe with my rental unit (in Thailand) I could pull that off. Can I claim foreign income (and transfer that income to my Thai bank if necessary?

When I say rural, I'm thinking somewhere small as Phetchaburi, large as Phitsanulok. Still city living, not the boonies. But yeah, sounds like those public schools are still pretty substandard. If there's anyone who feels their kid had a good education at a public English Program school, I'd love to hear about it. There were some in the education thread.

why thailand to the exclusion of other countries?

reading behind the lines my guess is it was experiences you had here with women while single. you should really tske an honest look at that before you move your family here.

Haha, I *did* have a good time. The woman I met (in Thailand, but not Thai) is now my wife. There's probably some nostalgia there, but honestly, I feel a real affinity for Thailand. I enjoyed traveling Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, but returning to Thailand was so satisfying. My ability to speak the language and familiarity with traveling around the country is a huge part of that, but I really do love a lot about the culture in general. Also, I have experience working there, have connections, know I'm easily employable. I don't have that in other places. Interested where you'd suggest though! (Trinidad & Tobago is another place I could live!)

Ahh, did not know those residency requirements. Thanks. So one needs to be earning 80k/mo. Maybe with my rental unit (in Thailand) I could pull that off. Can I claim foreign income (and transfer that income to my Thai bank if necessary?

No. It has to be salary from the job specified on your work permit. You can have 100 million in a Thai bank and that doesn't count either.

PR is not impossible to get, but I believe it's fair to say it's a serious commitment. If getting it forms part of your plan I would suggest reading the various threads in the visa forum to decide if it's practical for your situation.

You should also have a read through the land and real estate forum before committing to buying and renting a property here.