Swiss man dead as family outing ends in pick-up tragedy in Udon Thani

webfact

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These incidents deeply sadden me. As I write these words, my wife and her family have gone to the beach, after an all night drinking session, and I know damn well, there was more drinking at the beach. I refuse to go along, and contribute to these events, much to my wife's dissatisfaction. The worse of it, they take young children along. I really hate Song Kran.

So why not go and be the designated driver ??

Sad, but why did the Swiss man allow him to drive?

It is hard to believe, but I have actually heard that non-Thais have been known to drink and drive also. Maybe this thai driver had drank less than the recently departed Swiss gentleman?

Young drunk driver,no seat belts,totally over loaded,dark and speeding = death waiting to happen.pick ups handle like a shopping trolley at the best of times and I bet the tyres were underi-inflated with all that weight.i hate it when I have to take the family out and would never do this sort of thing.total stupidity and a waste of life.

"and I bet the tyres were underi-inflated with all that weight"

What all that wheight? 12 Thai people included 3 children?...no more 600kg

But misunderstanding understandable if you'r American, in the US, right, it would have been 1500kg/2tonsgigglem.gif

Another needless waste of life. These vehicles are the scariest weapons on the road and why it is legal to carry passengers in the back of the truck is beyond me.

You would have to be very drunk or crazy to get in the back of one of these vehicles after a boozy night out. RIP to the dead, speedy recovery to the injured. Long time behind bars for the driver.

As for pick-ups, well, I was in a VIP bus crash some years ago that ran off the road and rolled over several times down the embankment into the jungle. There were people on the scene pretty quickly but no ambulances, so we were bundled into the back of pick-up trucks and taken to hospital.

So they do come in handy.

cool.png

When I drive the pickup which belongs to my wife ( with my money ), it's forbiden - I'm the driver - to go in the back and also forbidden to be more than 7 people inside it;

On the paper of the full Insurance of the pickup it's written 7 in big like that 7 people ; I cannot understand how we can be 7 in a pickup; there are only 2 seats in the front and there is not enough place for 5 people behind but they wrote 7 ..another strange particularity of Thailand ....

And as I never drink alcool and I don't smoke I think I put all the chances in my side to stay on the road .

RIP to those who lost their life .

You forget your "Thainess". They are counting all the kids being held on laps, without proper restraints of course.

Just like I was in 1964 when I went thru the windscreen of my parents car in an accident almost losing an eye except cause of accident was faulty brand new car ( suspension broke).....then seat belts became compulsory.......still see many babies on laps here totally unnecessary and look at the scar I still have under me eye.

Young drunk driver,no seat belts,totally over loaded,dark and speeding = death waiting to happen.pick ups handle like a shopping trolley at the best of times and I bet the tyres were underi-inflated with all that weight.i hate it when I have to take the family out and would never do this sort of thing.total stupidity and a waste of life.

"and I bet the tyres were underi-inflated with all that weight"

What all that wheight? 12 Thai people included 3 children?...no more 600kg

But misunderstanding understandable if you'r American, in the US, right, it would have been 1500kg/2tonsgigglem.gif

actually I though they were usually over inflated.......picked up the motorbike once after some work and found 70psi in the tyres......handbook said 32

When I drive the pickup which belongs to my wife ( with my money ), it's forbiden - I'm the driver - to go in the back and also forbidden to be more than 7 people inside it;

On the paper of the full Insurance of the pickup it's written 7 in big like that 7 people ; I cannot understand how we can be 7 in a pickup; there are only 2 seats in the front and there is not enough place for 5 people behind but they wrote 7 ..another strange particularity of Thailand ....

And as I never drink alcool and I don't smoke I think I put all the chances in my side to stay on the road .

RIP to those who lost their life .

Are you aware that not only inside the cabin the passengers are carried. They are also carried in the bed (the back part of the pickup). It is common in Thailand. It is possible to fit up to 20 standing people on it.

Refusing to get into the truck with the wife's family would have been a massive loss of face for her,

In his place I would have got into the truck too, praying to god we made it,

As one day I will die, I just don't know the where when or how,

RIP

Refusing to get into the truck with the wife's family would have been a massive loss of face for her,

RIP

pathetic lack of morals and pandering to 'Thainess' grow some BALLS and do the right thing - he didn't and he's dead - stupid lack of judgement trying to "fit in" RiP

RIP

So you would risk you life just to make sure no loss of face would happen to your wife even if you knew the driver was drunk? It's foreigners like you that will end up in trouble here.

Edited by balo

RIP

Better lost of face, than lost of life!

Good luck to you.

Another needless waste of life. These vehicles are the scariest weapons on the road and why it is legal to carry passengers in the back of the truck is beyond me.

do you want to know the "scariest" vehicles on the road? it is the drunk human being! the idiot driver who does not know how to drive! NOT the truck, CAR or MOTORCYCLE! sounds like you are the type who blames guns, knives, for killing people. news flash! people kill people!

Whats amazing to me is that people from other countries that have been here for awhile are shocked...........This is nothing new. Nothing will be done about it. ......sad but true......

where is pattaya 3 and would you take children there in the night?

if it anywhere near the ordinary pattaya, its a hell of a long way to sit in the back of a truck with so many people

Pattaya 3 is at about 2 kilometers of Ban_Nong_Luang

it's on road 2021 which begins on road 22 , 10 km before arriving at Sawang Daen Din, coming from Udon Thani .

road 2021 direction Song Dao ;

You can go there with children without problems ..Don't be afraid by the name tongue.png ;

it's along a big lake which doesn't exist on Google map clap2.gif

Nice 1 ! You are spot on, it is there indeed and not that far from Udon at all.

still cant pinpoint it, so whats there? (besides places that sell alcohol) why would people drive long distances to go there.

so sad when farangs, who would not normally get into a truck driven by a drunk, let their judgement disappear RiP bad choice

Bit of a stretch Lannaguy.

Maybe HE was too drunk to drive and let the other man drive. Not that uncommon with the pissheads who come to Thailand