259 die and 2,378 injured in four days of Songkran festival celebration

webfact

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not any one will care only a Thai I am. One of those so called low lifes so most 99% of you say. I have spent a week reading not all forums but enough to know I belive this forum should and will be reported. I knowing you won't care I'm hope when I tell my leader about this and will look them self so they know I speak true they will report it on again. So I leave with sadness wish I had never looked changed my opinion of Farang due to this. Lucky my farang husband not on here he at least tries to intigrate

I pity your husband sleep.png

I should add that ''Farang'' isn't a culture. There are over a billion ''farang'' in the world, speaking 100's of different languages and living in many many countries. If you base your opinion of a ''race'' of people on a few posts on a forum you're as stupid as people that start questions with, ''Why do farang...'', ''Do farang (insert normal human function/action)'' and ''Can you eat spicy food?(asked in the tone of amazement that displays no knowledge that chillis exist in the rest of the world)'' rolleyes.gif

Maybe, surely jeab1980 doesn't know that chili was imported in Thailand by portuguese navigators in 1505 , so 511 years ago;

before that date thai people never ate something with chili but only with " prik-thai" which is pepper .

Not any one will care only a Thai I am. One of those so called low lifes so most 99% of you say. I have spent a week reading not all forums but enough to know I belive this forum should and will be reported. I knowing you won't care I'm hope when I tell my leader about this and will look them self so they know I speak true they will report it on again. So I leave with sadness wish I had never looked changed my opinion of Farang due to this. Lucky my farang husband not on here he at least tries to intigrate

I pity your husband sleep.png

I should add that ''Farang'' isn't a culture. There are over a billion ''farang'' in the world, speaking 100's of different languages and living in many many countries. If you base your opinion of a ''race'' of people on a few posts on a forum you're as stupid as people that start questions with, ''Why do farang...'', ''Do farang (insert normal human function/action)'' and ''Can you eat spicy food?(asked in the tone of amazement that displays no knowledge that chillis exist in the rest of the world)'' rolleyes.gif

Maybe, surely jeab1980 doesn't know that chili was imported in Thailand by portuguese navigators in 1505 , so 511 years ago;

before that date thai people never ate something with chili but only with " prik-thai" which is pepper .

Not pity my husband. So now chilli which is available all over the world . But not every person like hot chilli so we ask out of concern. Can you eat, but never mind what is it you say no matter what you will always feel you are right.

Please read headlines this is Thailand not your land. You visit here or live here on extensions you can not vote you can not make laws or change laws. Thai authority let's you stay some are married some are bar/girl hopers all of you are guests. Stop worrying about what Thai's do and do what you came here to do enjoy yourself for goodness sake I have never seen or read so much anti Thai comments as this forum gives maybe should be called Thai haters forum or We want to change everything in Thailand forum.

I live here because my wife lives here. She also complains more about Thai driving standards than I do. I don't want my wife or family to be killed because someone is drink and/or can't drive properly. Mostly this will be Thais for obvious reasons of probability but I suspect there are quite a few foreigners here who like the fact they can speed and drive while drunk as well.

One other point. This is a "forum" (look it up) so posters are just sharing their views, as are you.

Getting back on topic... What frustrates me is the fact that the government/authorities know. They know the death toll, they know that 70-90 percent of those dying do so on motorbikes, they know head injuries are estimated to account for up to 88% of such fatalities - yet they appear unable and unwilling to enforce helmet wearing. Those statistics mean that roughly 17,000 of the 24,000 killed each year are non-helmet-wearing motorcycle riders or passengers.

In May 2004, the 4th meeting of the UN Road Safety Collaboration was hosted by UNESCAP in Bangkok, more than forty delegates discussed, amongst other things, the implementation of seven road safety "how to" manuals - which assist governments in implementing some of the recommendations of the World report on road traffic injury prevention. The Helmets How To manual can be found here: http://www.who.int/roadsafety/projects/manuals/helmet_manual/en/ (It is also available in Thai)

In August 2006, the Global Road Safety Partnership held a three-day workshop in Kanchanaburi, Thailand, to develop an action plan to increase helmet use. Thailand was chosen due to its abnormally high numbers of motorcycle fatalities. (See below)

post-140809-0-99598800-1460784884_thumb.

On 11 May 2011, the first ever Decade of Action for Road Safety 2011–2020 was launched with great enthusiasm and optimism across the world, mandated by the United Nations General Assembly. The Decade, as it is known, is a collective roadmap indicating critical areas for engagement. These include improving the safety of roads and vehicles; enhancing emergency services; and building up road safety management generally. The Global Plan also calls for increased and improved legislation and enforcement on using helmets, seat-belts and child restraints and avoiding drinking and driving and speeding.

Then PM, Abhisit Vejjajiva, expressed his country's active support to the Decade in a video statement, saying, "Thailand will work on projects and activities that are beneficial to the campaign for road safety, to reduce the losses to the country, the region, and the world at large." The Government set the goal to reduce the number of deaths resulting from road crashes by half by 2020. The effort was to cover road safety management, infrastructure, vehicles, drivers’ behaviour, and emergency medical systems.

And yet, today, halfway through the Decade, it appears that absolutely nothing has changed - as the toll has only increased.

Thailand's road fatality rate is 13 times higher than the UK, which has a similar-sized population. The country is soaked in blood. I am driving less and less until something is done. I want to die in a rocking chair not a road accident.

And the UK has a good deal more roads than Thailand. London at least 40% more tan bkk.

Take the percentage of motorbikes verses cars and the rates in the UK are probably similar.

Not very likely. I'm guessing you don't have any evidence for this?

The greater proportion of motorcycles will certainly have an impact and the deaths in Thailand affect those riding bikes more than in vehicles.

It would be interesting to look at the figures from countries that have a similar high proportion of motorcycles. Since Thailand is rated as the second highest death rate then it's likely that other high motorcycle countries would have a lower death rate. I've just had a quick look and there are places like Burma, India and Afghanistan for example which have a high ratio of bikes to card that are safer. I know there are difficulties getting accurate numbers but this does give a general picture.

You then need to look at countries with low numbers of bikes compared to cars like the UK. The USA has a lower ratio of bikes but has 10.6 deaths per 100,000 population compared to the UK 2.9

You're right in that it's difficult to make an exact comparison between 2 countries with differing ratios of bikes to cars but I can't see anything that would suggest they are anyway near the same.

One interesting point. High numbers of bikes is often related to the fact they are cheaper than cars and as we all know they can carry the, four of even more people. Restricted to two the might not be so popular. Apparently Thailand is the second largest market for pickups after the US which obviously has a far higher population. Could this be due to the fact that extended families can fit in the back. How popular would they be if that went possible. I will admit that they look a better bet than my Honda Jazz over some of the roads here in Isaan.?

2.9 10.6

Are the Thai police really doing there jobs. 9,373 drunk driver but only 573 licenses taken away. The cars and bikes confiscated they said they will hold for 1 month will be given back to them in two days just like last year. If they do not do what they said about the bikes and the cars confiscated the people will do it every year until the understand that the PM,s law will be upheld. Thais do not care about fines because they never pay them and nothing happens to them. Stop feeling sorry for the drunks and finally respect the one who would not be dead if you upheld the law last year. A lot of lip service but no action!

Meanwhile, there are police at checkpoints right across the land staring at their phones wondering how this can happen. Again. crazy.gif

You mean the party under the tents all along the roads? I thought that was some internal military - Police party thing going on?

Driving ban, that would just increase the number of unlicensed drivers - not a cure.

Agreed, that is a possibility. But it would mean that people who drive without a license just didn't care about the law

And the people who speed, drink drive, overload vehicles and carry passengers in the rear of pickups, fail to wear seatbelts or helmets, or drive on footpaths or the wrong direction on roads care about the law?

I'd venture to say they ONLY care a/b themselves... no one else.... but that's far and wide eh?

Thailand's road fatality rate is 13 times higher than the UK, which has a similar-sized population. The country is soaked in blood. I am driving less and less until something is done. I want to die in a rocking chair not a road accident.

Thailand is also twice the size of the UK.

Remember though that these figures are still only on par with the national daily average throughout the year (65 per day).

the image presented is that of thew media hype.

tip - if you want to die in a rocking chair - have one fitted in your car.

Okay, I think we are all agreed that traffic deaths in Thailand over the holiday period, and in general, is increasing year after year. There might be good reasons for this, like the number of vehicles on the road increases or more drunk drivers and so on. The problem is what to do about it. Well, a good start might be to allow a multinational team (including Thai members) to be allowed the data and conduct a serious study. Statistics might then highlight or point to major causes whereby the team make recommendations to the government and also be allowed to make their findings public. It is then the governments responsibility to do what it considers appropriate. If the government does nothing then all drivers, including foreigners who pay road tax, have a genuine reason to complain and indeed perhaps forums like this one might help in giving the government (whoever that might be at the time) a legal petition (no protests required). This would be a logical step, a proper, legal and constructive method.

Oh well, I suppose I will get replies like 'not going to happen...' and so on. Do I need to put on Armour, Ha!

Okay, I think we are all agreed that traffic deaths in Thailand over the holiday period, and in general, is increasing year after year. There might be good reasons for this, like the number of vehicles on the road increases or more drunk drivers and so on. The problem is what to do about it. Well, a good start might be to allow a multinational team (including Thai members) to be allowed the data and conduct a serious study. Statistics might then highlight or point to major causes whereby the team make recommendations to the government and also be allowed to make their findings public. It is then the governments responsibility to do what it considers appropriate. If the government does nothing then all drivers, including foreigners who pay road tax, have a genuine reason to complain and indeed perhaps forums like this one might help in giving the government (whoever that might be at the time) a legal petition (no protests required). This would be a logical step, a proper, legal and constructive method.

Oh well, I suppose I will get replies like 'not going to happen...' and so on. Do I need to put on Armour, Ha!

That's happened. The studies have been done. The results are clear. The recommendations have been made (and promised to be implemented). I posted this the other day.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/910423-259-die-and-2378-injured-in-four-days-of-songkran-festival-celebration/?p=10644144

I also posted some other stats the other day (which was deleted because I quoted a post that contained off-topic subject matter, even though my post did not refer to the off-topic stuff one bit); these ones are updated:

Thailand: 36.2 deaths per 100,000; 59% of registered vehicles are motorcycles; 73% of road deaths are motorcycle users; helmet wearing rate: 52% Drivers, 20% Passengers;

Vietnam: 24.5 deaths per 100,000; 95% of registered vehicles are motorcycles; 60% of road deaths are motorcycle users; helmet wearing rate: 96% Drivers, 83% Passengers;

Malaysia: 24.0 deaths per 100,000; 46% of registered vehicles are motorcycles; 62% of road deaths are motorcycle users; helmet wearing rate: 97% Drivers, 89% Passengers;

Myanmar: 20.3 deaths per 100,000; 86% of registered vehicles are motorcycles; 23% of road deaths are motorcycle users; helmet wearing rate: 48–51% All riders;

Cambodia: 17.4 deaths per 100,000; 84% of registered vehicles are motorcycles; 71% of road deaths are motorcycle users; helmet wearing rate: 64% Drivers, 6% Passengers;

Laos: 14.3 deaths per 100,000; 77% of registered vehicles are motorcycles; 67% of road deaths are motorcycle users; helmet wearing rate: No data available;

Thailand has the lowest percentage of motorcycles of all its regional neighbours bar Malaysia, yet the highest percentage of deaths of motorcycle users of all its regional neighbours. It also has the second lowest usage of motorcycle helmets of all its regional neighbours. Research has clearly shown that correctly wearing a helmet can cut the risk of death by 40% and reduce the risk of serious head injuries by almost 70%, and since head injuries are estimated to account for up to 88% of motorcycle user fatalities, strictly enforcing the wearing of helmets could cut the road toll by more than 25%.

24,237 people die

17,693 (73%) of these are motorcycle users

15,570 (88%) of motorcycle users die due to head injuries

6,228 (40%) of these deaths could be reduced by wearing helmets

18,009 (25.7% of original toll) potential road toll if wearing of motorcycle helmets is strictly enforced

This would reduce Thailand's death rate to 26.7 deaths per 100,000 - dropping it to 30th in the list of deadliest countries.

Of course helmets don't cause accidents—speed, drink driving, reckless driving are the highest causes, mainly due to ineffectual driver education and lax enforcement—but the strict enforcement of wearing helmets would clearly cut the road toll.

Enforcement is the key. Without enforcement, the other five pillars of road safety (or four "E's") will not change driver's behaviours.

The RTP, as an enforcement agency, is all but completely ineffectual (as evidenced by the ever growing death toll). This will not change until a complete top-to-bottom restructure of the RTP is undertaken, decentralising its command structure, and transferring its reporting to the Ministry of Justice, recruiting overseas advisors/trainers, imposing strict ethical guidelines, sacking every single one of the tens of thousands (140,000?) of criminals currently sitting in inactive posts, and providing a living wage to officers.

Even though such reform has long been talked about, and would not only change Royal Thai Police for the better, but also significantly reduce the road toll, the agency still lacks commanders willing to sacrifice their personal benefits for the greater good, and the government—as yet—lacks the political will to take action.

Edited by jamesbrock

That's happened. The studies have been done. The results are clear. The recommendations have been made (and promised to be implemented). I posted this the other day.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/910423-259-die-and-2378-injured-in-four-days-of-songkran-festival-celebration/?p=10644144

I also posted some other stats the other day (which was deleted because I quoted a post that contained off-topic subject matter, even though my post did not refer to the off-topic stuff one bit); these ones are updated:

Thailand: 36.2 deaths per 100,000; 59% of registered vehicles are motorcycles; 73% of road deaths are motorcycle users; helmet wearing rate: 52% Drivers, 20% Passengers;

Vietnam: 24.5 deaths per 100,000; 95% of registered vehicles are motorcycles; 60% of road deaths are motorcycle users; helmet wearing rate: 96% Drivers, 83% Passengers;

Malaysia: 24.0 deaths per 100,000; 46% of registered vehicles are motorcycles; 62% of road deaths are motorcycle users; helmet wearing rate: 97% Drivers, 89% Passengers;

Myanmar: 20.3 deaths per 100,000; 86% of registered vehicles are motorcycles; 23% of road deaths are motorcycle users; helmet wearing rate: 48–51% All riders;

Cambodia: 17.4 deaths per 100,000; 84% of registered vehicles are motorcycles; 71% of road deaths are motorcycle users; helmet wearing rate: 64% Drivers, 6% Passengers;

Laos: 14.3 deaths per 100,000; 77% of registered vehicles are motorcycles; 67% of road deaths are motorcycle users; helmet wearing rate: No data available;

Thailand has the lowest percentage of motorcycles of all its regional neighbours, yet the highest percentage of deaths of motorcycle users of all its regional neighbours. It also has the second lowest usage of motorcycle helmets of all its regional neighbours. Research has clearly shown that correctly wearing a helmet can cut the risk of death by 40% and reduce the risk of serious head injuries by almost 70%, and since head injuries are estimated to account for up to 88% of motorcycle user fatalities, strictly enforcing the wearing of helmets could cut the road toll by more than 25%.

24,237 people die

18,009 (25.7% of original toll) potential road toll if wearing of motorcycle helmets is strictly enforced

This would reduce Thailand's death rate to 26.7 deaths per 100,000 - dropping it to 30th in the list of deadliest countries.

Of course helmets don't cause accidents—speed, drink driving, reckless driving are the highest causes, mainly due to ineffectual driver education and lax enforcement—but the strict enforcement of wearing helmets would clearly cut the road toll.

Enforcement is the key. Without enforcement, the other five pillars of road safety (or four "E's") will not change driver's behaviours.

The RTP, as an enforcement agency, is all but completely ineffectual (as evidenced by the ever growing death toll). This will not change until a complete top-to-bottom restructure of the RTP is undertaken, decentralising its command structure, and transferring its reporting to the Ministry of Justice, recruiting overseas advisors/trainers, imposing strict ethical guidelines, sacking every single one of the tens of thousands (140,000?) of criminals currently sitting in inactive posts, and providing a living wage to officers.

Even though such reform has long been talked about, and would not only change Royal Thai Police for the better, but also significantly reduce the road toll, the agency still lacks commanders willing to sacrifice their personal benefits for the greater good, and the government—as yet—lacks the political will to take action.

Yes I did read your post and found it interesting but my point is to allow multinational team of experts to make an independent study because I'm not sure where the figures came from in your post. Did the figures rely on info given by said country or were they done by an independent body (such WHO or similar.) That is to say the team be allowed to examine the country's (in this case, Thailand) documentation and not just be given the info (for the obvious reasons). Only in this way could certain roads and situations be identified as having more accidents than on ordinary days.

For example there is an exodus from Bangkok which only happens at certain times and not on normal weekdays. Are,say for example, the accidents up to Korat more or less than those from Korat going further N.E. One might expect that be the volume of traffic is greater before Korat than after so one might expect incidents to be less but is that actually the case. Because the volume of traffic is less after Korat people might drive faster and take more risks.

So the statistics would have to weighted correctly and not just given in straight numbers. If as might be the case, more motor cyclist are involved where is it worse and what were the reasons given in the separate reports. Another important factor might be, are the roads in good condition where most accidents occur and needs an answer because in high traffic volumes recently developed dangers might not be clearly visible. All of these questions and more can only be answered by looking at individual reports but if a serious investigation is to be undertaken then this is the only way to do it.

Thailand has the lowest percentage of motorcycles of all its regional neighbours, yet the highest percentage of deaths of motorcycle users of all its regional neighbours. It also has the second lowest usage of motorcycle helmets of all its regional neighbours. Research has clearly shown that correctly wearing a helmet can cut the risk of death by 40% and reduce the risk of serious head injuries by almost 70%, and since head injuries are estimated to account for up to 88% of motorcycle user fatalities, strictly enforcing the wearing of helmets could cut the road toll by more than 25%.

24,237 people die

Yes I did read your post and found it interesting but my point is to allow multinational team of experts to make an independent study because I'm not sure where the figures came from in your post. Did the figures rely on info given by said country or were they done by an independent body (such WHO or similar.) That is to say the team be allowed to examine the country's (in this case, Thailand) documentation and not just be given the info (for the obvious reasons). Only in this way could certain roads and situations be identified as having more accidents than on ordinary days.

For example there is an exodus from Bangkok which only happens at certain times and not on normal weekdays. Are,say for example, the accidents up to Korat more or less than those from Korat going further N.E. One might expect that be the volume of traffic is greater before Korat than after so one might expect incidents to be less but is that actually the case. Because the volume of traffic is less after Korat people might drive faster and take more risks.

So the statistics would have to weighted correctly and not just given in straight numbers. If as might be the case, more motor cyclist are involved where is it worse and what were the reasons given in the separate reports. Another important factor might be, are the roads in good condition where most accidents occur and needs an answer because in high traffic volumes recently developed dangers might not be clearly visible. All of these questions and more can only be answered by looking at individual reports but if a serious investigation is to be undertaken then this is the only way to do it.

Yes, all the stats in my post were taken directly from the WHO: http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/road_safety_status/2015/country_profiles/country_profiles/en/

Horrible place to drive -- anytime.

As has been discussed in some other threads, this number is right on the average through any recent year, assuming 2013 wasn't an exception.

According to WHO, there were 2437 traffic fatalities in Thailand in 2013. Dividing that by 365, we get an average of 66.4 per day, multiplied by 4 (days) it's 265.6.

I guess that's a good reminder to not let our guards down any after the holiday finishes.

2437/365= 66.7?? Mmh... That's interesting...

Sent from my Che2-L12 using Tapatalk