Soi Bukahao.Water throwing violence

loppylugs1

Official holiday in Pattaya is the 19th!! Why is that, money?

Wouldn't it be better if every town and city choose 1 of the 3 public holiday days to celebrate?

Just my 2 cents.

It allows the morons who can't get enough sadism to tour around Thailand.

The official holidays are the days the banks and government offices are closed.

Different localities have festivals on different days, as you say to allow the morons to travel around and boost the numbers. Around here it was Bang Saen on the 16th/17th, Chonburi, Sri Ratcha and Naklua on the 18th, then Pattaya today.

Bang Saen is the biggest in this province, 2 full days, we went over there yesterday afternoon and they were still dismantling the cover that had been over beach road.

The woman that runs the area where we normally sit said it was standing room only but she hardly made any money, nobody was buying any food with all the water being thrown about.

Edited by sandyf

Today, the 19th, I'll be staying in too. If my gf wants to go out, that's fine. But not me. I don't want to be in a situation where I feel I have to physically defend myself. It's not about the water, it's about the stupidity of people who don't care about the safety of others.

So, I kill time reading more TV than I normally do. LOL

This is a point which seldom comes up. My wife went out to play with some friends a few Songkrans ago (2012), on Beach Road near Walking Street. The MAIN reason she doesn't do it anymore is because she doesn't enjoy being groped by Thai men in the name of fun. Songkan is a licence for all the Thai perverts to come out and "feel up" females without recourse.

• Like 1

Guy on bike clearly told water throwing farang he did not want water throwing over him, Stupid farang did just that,bike rider got off bike and landed a jab that floored the water thrower,outside R Con this afternoon. Really good result

GREAT!

Seeing that, I would have happily given the bike rider a big tip.

Soi Buakao is one of the craziest Songkran areas, but this corner is already dangerous in normal times.

The foreigner are always the craziest, changing "play water" to "water combat".

And on Soi Buakhao it doesn't stop at sunset... could merely stop the GF to jump from the bahtbus and give the drunken idiots a good kicking, who spoiled her dress around midnight...

Throwing water into the viewing area of ANY moving vehicle should be outlawed! Even in a car, when a large volume of water hits the driver's window, attention IS diverted. Often, instinct forces a person to close his eyes, and/ turn his head; as well as perhaps swerve a bit. As noted earlier, any off track movement in the traffic here is a serious danger!

This entire water madness during what was originally intended as a serious and serene religious "blessing" is outrageous. It has become the same thing as riot mentality. While there is no looting, and limited physical assault, the dangers it creates are nonetheless serious.

It's OK to have fun and games with water among pedestrians; but I strongly believe that it should be outlawed to throw anything, including water, at a moving vehicle. Then that law should be strictly enforced! "FUN" stops where danger begins!

The dimwit foreigners who think they're participating in a "cultural event" by doing this should probably get at least a few hours in the slammer, or at least a visit to the ER for a nice, enjoyable 12-hr shift. (If staff wants to use them to mop up blood in the O-Rs or change bedpans, that would be OK, too.)

Songkran simply isn't songkran anymore. It's an embarrassment that foreigners involve themselves in the mayhem, and do so on the simple-minded pretext of religious/holiday observance. They can be found parroting their vacuous insistence on this right here on TVF. One will be along any minute.

I don't think anyone really thinks it's a cultural event. It's like Carnivale, or the running of the bulls. I'm not a fan mind you, but I think people involved know what it is, it's a big waterfight. No need to get expatus santimonious.

Guy on bike clearly told water throwing farang he did not want water throwing over him, Stupid farang did just that,bike rider got off bike and landed a jab that floored the water thrower,outside R Con this afternoon. Really good result

GREAT!

Seeing that, I would have happily given the bike rider a big tip.

Soi Buakao is one of the craziest Songkran areas, but this corner is already dangerous in normal times.

The foreigner are always the craziest, changing "play water" to "water combat".

And on Soi Buakhao it doesn't stop at sunset... could merely stop the GF to jump from the bahtbus and give the drunken idiots a good kicking, who spoiled her dress around midnight...

"The foreigner are always the craziest, changing "play water" to "water combat".

I most certainly don't agree with that.

Thais only "play water"? The worst incidents I've endured were always at the hands of Thais. Songkran gives many Thais a chance (excuse) to show us what they really feel.

"No" means "no", even during Songkran. On the odd occasion I did attempt to "play Songkran" (years ago now) I always respected people's requests not to have water thrown on them.

Edited by tropo

Throwing water into the viewing area of ANY moving vehicle should be outlawed! Even in a car, when a large volume of water hits the driver's window, attention IS diverted. Often, instinct forces a person to close his eyes, and/ turn his head; as well as perhaps swerve a bit. As noted earlier, any off track movement in the traffic here is a serious danger!

This entire water madness during what was originally intended as a serious and serene religious "blessing" is outrageous. It has become the same thing as riot mentality. While there is no looting, and limited physical assault, the dangers it creates are nonetheless serious.

It's OK to have fun and games with water among pedestrians; but I strongly believe that it should be outlawed to throw anything, including water, at a moving vehicle. Then that law should be strictly enforced! "FUN" stops where danger begins!

The dimwit foreigners who think they're participating in a "cultural event" by doing this should probably get at least a few hours in the slammer, or at least a visit to the ER for a nice, enjoyable 12-hr shift. (If staff wants to use them to mop up blood in the O-Rs or change bedpans, that would be OK, too.)

Songkran simply isn't songkran anymore. It's an embarrassment that foreigners involve themselves in the mayhem, and do so on the simple-minded pretext of religious/holiday observance. They can be found parroting their vacuous insistence on this right here on TVF. One will be along any minute.

I don't think anyone really thinks it's a cultural event. It's like Carnivale, or the running of the bulls. I'm not a fan mind you, but I think people involved know what it is, it's a big waterfight. No need to get expatus santimonious.

Actually, no need to keep your head stuck ... uh, in the sand. If not a fan, obviously a sympathizer. Yeah, Songkran. Cultural. And FYI, the running of the bulls takes place in just one place, Pamplona, just in the old quarter, and the entire population of Spain doesn't have to scurry around to avoid being gored. What a terminally silly comparison. And a "waterfight" is two kids in the back yard with squirt guns or a garden hose, not motorists and motorbike riders swerving to dodge water cannon & buckets of cold water endangering themselves and anybody on foot who happens to be in the way. Anyway, the contemporary few days of anarchy called 'Songkran', while entirely inconsistent with the former holiday practice, certainly isn't something they learned from us! So local culture, yes. Foreigners endangering passing vehicle traffic with their over-the-top shenanigans on the pretext of a local holiday need to be reigned in, and certainly held responsible for the risks they ignorantly pose in the name of "good fun".

May be it was wrong for the person to throw water on him but all these days one must know that no matter what is your wish people will throw water on you. So best is either not to come out or walk to avoid fall from motorbike.

So "best"? Actually, it would be even better if empty-headed foreigners would find a less threatening way to celebrate Songkran, if indeed celebrating it is their intention rather than just using it as an excuse for unwelcome, risky, aggressive behavior and causing problems that's actually not in the true spirit of the occasion and would get them quickly locked up most anywhere else.

• Like 1

One thing I learned early on that helps me to this day in Thailand is that the cognitive ability here is that of a puppy or Teletubby. Almost no critical thinking is done. A kid sees a ball roll into the street, like a puppy the kid dashes out without regard of the consequences. The kid sees a bright color....it is drawn to it.

Throwing water into the face of an ongoing motorbike rider? Sure, it makes the water bearer feel good. No thought put into the fact that it could temporarily cause them to lose control the bike on the slippery road and veer into oncoming traffic, hit something or someone nearby, or just dump the bike. There is zero thought about that.

And thus, you have hundreds of deaths and 1000s of accidents. The stat I saw was 80% of them were motorbikes.

Stupid? Many think so, including myself.

I also think attacking cars and motorbikes should be outlawed, but I don't have a vote on that. I think the holiday has been perverted and farangs are contributing to that but locals have as well.

I've had all sorts of attacks like mentioned here. I had a young guy swing a metal bucket at my head when I was riding by on a motorbike. If I swerved away, I would have been struck by an oncoming truck. So, I ducked, and as the metal bucket was about to strike my head, I did a front kick to his chest and down he went. I wasn't going to get smashed in the head just because I'm a foreigner and it's "their" holiday.

Today, the 19th, I'll be staying in too. If my gf wants to go out, that's fine. But not me. I don't want to be in a situation where I feel I have to physically defend myself. It's not about the water, it's about the stupidity of people who don't care about the safety of others.

So, I kill time reading more TV than I normally do. LOL

So, I ducked, and as the metal bucket was about to strike my head, I did a front kick to his chest and down he went.

I had no idea Chuck Norris was a member of this forum!

• Like 2

I saw the Soi Buakao farang filth and bullies a few years ago just using Songkran as an excuse to be mean spirited and violent. I particularly remember a bar on the corner of Soi Honey where the English Guys were flinging ice cold water with rocks of ice in the face of people on motor bikes including one mother and child who was knocked over by the force of the water and one nurse on her motorbike who fell off due to the activities of these mindless Brits. I know their types - football lads, gangs tattooed and 'up for it'. I came to Thailand 25 years ago to get away from mindless thugs AKA football fans and that whole culture of war disguised as sport but now I leave Thailand every Songkran to get away from them! Its not just Brits I have seen Europeans, Arabs and Israelis behaving in the same despicable way. Mindless, tedious drunks just given an excuse to practice their yobbo-ism.

There's nasty, sadistic sociopaths all over the world. In most normal circumstances they are kept in check. Unfortunately there's no rule of law during Songkran.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...