Soi Bukahao.Water throwing violence

loppylugs1

Violence is no answer, but it's hard not to sympathize when you're on a moving bike and a mass of water, no matter how small, heads your way. Instantly, your attention is distracted and you might swerve just a few inches to avoid it - which in that area could put you into the path of an oncoming vehicle, trap your front wheel on a slippery culvert, or land you in the lap of a bar katoey. All of which could have nasty outcomes. smile.png

Violence is the answer on this occasion.

Was the perp a farang or Thai.......might want to rethink your answer since you happily claim to distribute violence, or threaten to to all farangs, but strangely, become meek and mild to the Thai folk.

Trust me old son you will pick on the wrong farang one day.....and six will kick the $hit out of you.

You enjoy all that Songkran has to offer, but the guy in this story asked not to be soaked. In the spirit of Songkran, he had a right to be spared. In the spirit of common human decency he had the right to be spared.

There was no other solution for him. He couldn't call the police or appeal to anyone's sense of fair play, so he taught the guy a lesson and floored him. The guy he hit is probably a better human being for the experience, and he'll likely be more decent going forward.

He should be handed a medal.smile.png

• Like 1

I've only ventured out ONCE on my motorbike, taking a route I thought would be safe. I got nailed by some <deleted> in the back of a truck. They're lucky I forgot to bring my mace.

The truth is you're lucky you didn't use mace. I don't go out these days to protect the water throwers from me LOL.

Before I used to go out I'd have a good talk to myself about staying calm, but one big bucket of ice water and I'd be steaming and all my motivation to stay calm vanishes.

• Like 1

Did none of the Farangs have toys when they were kids, grown men using Water Pistols.

My local Bar on Soi Bulkhao, they don't do the water stuff which is frequented by Ex Pats has been empty all week. Saturday night is always busy as the football is on so any one who says it boosts the takings, certainly not.

• Like 1

I came up to Chiang Mai get away from the craziness of Pattaya where fortunately Songkran finished last Friday night.

but I read story that when a foreigner just arrived in Chiang Mai in the middle of Songkran he was carrying a laptop computer

and he told a group of water throwers about this and obviously asked them not to throw water over him whereupon one person said

" bye bye laptop " before going ahead and throwing the water !

That would have deserved a brain-smasher with the laptop.

" Say hi to my laptop!"

The expected horror. To crash a motorbike is the hope. What fun.

I'm still seeing PVC pipes. Apparently not confiscated this year?

I remember during one of my first Songkrans here I was riding along 2nd Road and a Thai guy stuck one of those in my face and pumped water in my eyes. I grabbed the pipe and took off with it. Despite all the water and ice I can never keep my cool. I can also never get used to people massaging my face and body with powder. It just doesn't feel lucky.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

There was no other solution for him.

He could not just keep on going like everybody else does? Sounds like a violent boring nutcase without any sense of humor.

Definitely not as vacuous as the nutcase throwing the water... what's more is he probably got away with the assault and felt rather satisfied with the outcome.

We don't know his name, but he's somewhat of a hero on this forum already. I'd like to shake his hand for a job well done.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Violence is no answer, but it's hard not to sympathize when you're on a moving bike and a mass of water, no matter how small, heads your way. Instantly, your attention is distracted and you might swerve just a few inches to avoid it - which in that area could put you into the path of an oncoming vehicle, trap your front wheel on a slippery culvert, or land you in the lap of a bar katoey. All of which could have nasty outcomes. smile.png

Violence is the answer on this occasion.

Was the perp a farang or Thai.......might want to rethink your answer since you happily claim to distribute violence, or threaten to to all farangs, but strangely, become meek and mild to the Thai folk.

Trust me old son you will pick on the wrong farang one day.....and six will kick the $hit out of you.

What a lot of rubbish you do talk, your post is not even worthy of an answer, so do us a favour and run along.

Thanks for your support lads.

The R-Con attracts a very nasty crew....Violence happens all the time there.Has been for years...

You're absolutely correct, the drinkers in the bars on each side of that dog leg in the road are a crowd of f...wits and deserve a smack now and again. They have a complete disregard for rider safety..good on the puncher.

hpm

• Like 2

There was no other solution for him.

He could not just keep on going like everybody else does? Sounds like a violent boring nutcase without any sense of humor.

Difference is he asked water throwing farang not to farang threw the water obviously not knowing of consequence. Now if this poster is a non-boring humorist water throwing styled nutcase ,a bucket of water is what you will need when decked

Hard to spot older Thais throwing water,especially as more than enough brain deadening farang delivers it,sad lives they must lead to get maximum enjoyment that Thai kids revel in

Edited by loppylugs1

Is it that difficult to toss water below the neckline? Seems like it is still a bit of fun, yet the same 'types' of Thais and foreigners aim for the head.

Fortunately these types mass around certain areas, of certain areas, like maggots on rotten meat.

• Like 2

On the beach where I live Songkran "fun" is 13/14/15th...Usually from about 11am to 6pm, but a few die-hards stay out much later.

Probably 99% Thai and just a few farang (both local residents & visitors), ages from babes in arms to great grandparents. Most were slowly driving up and down in their Pick-ups (as participants with full passenger loads and drums of iced water in the back), or in cars (as spectators), with many on motorbikes & Samlors, simply to get wet!!! The road was lined with mostly Thai families with their kids in paddling pools or with large dustbins of water. The local farang congregated around the few bars which had large drums of water. Ice vendors patrolled regularly selling blocks of (murky looking) ice to those who wanted (nearly everyone, including the pick-up trucks....)

No one was there unless they wanted to participate... The cars & bikes were mostly driven at sensible speeds (apart from the local Thai "Boy-racers"), many slowing down or stopping at every roadside groups, or at against cars coming in the opposite direction. Everyone had fun, smiling (or grimacing from the iced water), with almost no violence - although some of the buckets were thrown with (IMO) totally unnecessary force - the local Thais were usually more aggressive than the farangs... Everyone respected the samlor food vendors, but no-one else was sacrosanct (if you didn't want to get wet you didn't go there..!!!).

The only hint of violence I saw was when a farang threw water on a lottery seller, who proceeded to get very angry... My view is that the lottery sellers are a PITA anyway, so som nam nar - he shouldn't have been there since no one was wasting time buying lottery tickets. I saw no accidents, collisions, or injuries, apart from the occasional Thai who missed jumping back on to his pick-up...

This was similar to other predominantly Thai towns I've been in... Lots of fun, lots of water, and lots of noise, with everyone laughing and participating with little trouble. My recollection is that Pattaya does get a little out of control in places - but really no worse than my local area - just many more farangs, only a few of which give the majority a bad name, either by excessive stupidity (drunkenness?)/aggressiveness, or a total abhorrence of any fun.

I appreciate that some people do need to get to work (that not EVERYONE in the entire country is on holiday - it just seems that way), but it's usually possible to pick times & routes to avoid the madness. Otherwise, if you don't like it stay at home (or indoors) for this period..

...roll on next year... I hope I'm still here.