Village venting

Dakling

you could have lifetime of water drilling experience in the rest of the world, backed with degrees in engineneering and earth sciences.

but old somchai and his four simple relatives will always know better than a farang.

welcome to issan.

Exactly, I couldn't have put it better myself, to even suggest that you know better than the villagers is a complete no no as having made their pronouncement for them to be wrong is an impossible loss of face, as is a farang knowing more about anything than a Thai...

Face, the curse of Thailand, If you cannot admit to making mistakes it is impossible to learn anything....

• Like 2

the new farang toilet had been installed, time to fit the seat, said to wife tell dad to screw in slowly, so not to over tighten, would not let me do it.

wife says nothing, tighten tighten, farang saying saa saa, desired result cracking thread

moral of the story, you can not stop them.

• Like 2

UPDATE: Her indoors has suggested the drilling team might want to still anywhere other than where I want it, my job is to convince them that I want the shortest pipe run possible, and not at the other end of the property.

Hopefully it won't be too difficult, I've been fairly successful with most contractors so far, but that's based on me having the money and then wanting a share of it. I'm pretty sure the need to feed a family overrides loss of face in most circumstances.

As an aside; We had about 2500 litres of water delivered this morning, hopefully that will last until our borehole supply is up and running. The town supply also made an appearance overnight, but not enough pressure to reach the float valves on the tanks, maybe tonight! :-)

I wouldn't worry too much about the pipe run provided it is a pressure line rather than a suction line. Just make sure you can put the pump close to the borehole and that you have a power source available.

The drillers will most likely need some of the 2500 liters for drilling mud, they will also likely make a hole few meters around and a few feet deep to use as a mud pit.

If your ground water is more than 6m deep think about investing in a down hole pump, having some kind of hole casing that goes down most of the way is a good idea too, most of the drillers only want to put it down for the first 4m to collar the hole.

If I were to do my tank and automatic pump over again I would want it farther from the house, as it is now I can hear the pump cycle when the bedroom window is open.

having a wall built a few pre songkrans ago, good job was being done.

songkran arrives, waiting for workers to return.

no workers, i eventually found out, 2 were in police lock up and the others were still pissed.

they did finish the job albeit about 5 days longer than expected.

• Like 1

When my house was built they installed threaded (amazing) water taps but for 5/8 inch hose. Well, everything I have needs 1/2 inch hose. (not Thai 1/2 inch which is 3/8 inch in the rest of the world). I went to the local hardware store and found valves that I could take apart and make 1/2 inch taps so I didn't have to start cutting PVC.

I borrowed tools from them, got the valves, split them and converted the taps to 1/2 inch. All the while they are telling me it can't be done. When I finished, They said, "Good idea".

Funny buggars.

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry too much about the pipe run provided it is a pressure line rather than a suction line. Just make sure you can put the pump close to the borehole and that you have a power source available.

The drillers will most likely need some of the 2500 liters for drilling mud, they will also likely make a hole few meters around and a few feet deep to use as a mud pit.

If your ground water is more than 6m deep think about investing in a down hole pump, having some kind of hole casing that goes down most of the way is a good idea too, most of the drillers only want to put it down for the first 4m to collar the hole.

If I were to do my tank and automatic pump over again I would want it farther from the house, as it is now I can hear the pump cycle when the bedroom window is open.

I wouldn't have anything other than a borehole pump, it will be configured to fill the tanks upon demand, and supply the network while inhibiting the booster pump via relay logic.

As part of the property is undeveloped I already have an area set aside for the mess they're going to create.

I'm quite happy to have a collar going down as far as is needed to stabilise the soil, too far and the groundwater won't reach the borehole, or it will cause erosion around the pipe.

I've already established that we're getting a 6" pipe for the collar, room for the pump and a bit more!

Well update:

The well was drilled exactly where I wanted it. The drilling guy had a walk around the garden with his divining rods, but her indoors was talking to him and they set up the rig where I wanted the well. All through the drilling she was a little tense, although she didn't say I think she was worried that they wouldn't find water.

Anyway, we got the new pump today and it's going underground tomorrow.

EDIT: I sodding hate the autocorrect on this phone!

Edited by ThaiKneeTim
  • Like 1

Not water related, but reminds me of when I wanted to make a hedge. The Thais said that people don't make hedges. I would have to get some barbed wire and make a fence using that and some posts.

I said I didn't want that. They said ferrang ba.

Anyway, I bought about 300 small stems at about 2 baht each. They were three or so inches high. It's the same stuff they make the ornamental shapes from in the central reservation in any thai town.

Fast forward quite a few years, and I have a two metre high, one metre thick hedge that no one is coming through without a ladder. Doesn't take much looking after, and it looks nice.

Also, on a drive around on my last visit, I noticed that quite a few other people in the village now have their own hedges. I saw one old guy taking great pride in the pruning he was doing.

No one calls me crazy anymore for my hedge.

I love the hedge idea we have one as well. The one thing I regret not doing is laying barbed wire and threading it through the hedge as it was growing. I will do so on the section of hedge we have yet to extend. The reason why I regret not doing it is I have a heck of a time keeping dogs, chickens, neighbors, etc. from trying to force paths through the hedge. The neighbours all seem to think it is supposed to be decorative and not for privacy. They figure if we don't want people to cut a path through it we should have built a wall........

Rule of thumb centrifugal pump max pump can suck is 26feet this can change a bit depending on atmospheric press

Rule of thumb for submersible pumps static head press is 10mts per bar (14.5psi)

So if you are down 10mts you need a pump that has a discharge press of greater than 1 bar

A brave man with a lot of patience - interesting story - may I wish you good luck.

Doesn't any one go dowsing any more ??? Seriously, or is this too extreme for the locals ........?

I dug, by hand using a spade, my own well to a depth of about 8 metres, where I found sweet water whilst farming in South America - many years ago.

The top section of the well was brick lined to help prevent collapse.

Every summer I would be lowered by hand, dig out a few more centimetres and enjoyed sweet water ( potable ) every year, every season. Enough for my small number of livestock and market garden vegetables.

Used a floating pump and, was careful not to 'dry pump' the well by mistake. I wonder if your gung-ho locals dry pumped the well they put in your garden, or is there just no water ?

Here, on the outskirts of the small town I live in the local pond ( small underground spring which has now dried up ), which had fish and the water could at least be used for bathing, flooded late last year with effluent from a local pig farm following a cloud burst. The flooding could have been prevented. Local building materials from demolished houses and other waste has / is now being dumped around and being blown in to the pond. The pond is of course now 100% dead, as is its neighbouring pond.

Bring back the dowserdowsera.jpeg

Like many very stupid people, the Thai are mainly experts at everything. They know everything, and are the best at everything.

Still, my hat's off to a 4th grade graduate living in a house and driving a car funded collectively by 4 or 5 of the most educated men in the world.

Who, of course, know nothing about each other- or her brother who lives in the house with her.

Cunning != intelligence.

minor vent

found out our switched on young welder/small projects man, has fallen in love with a lao waitress at the new laab shop.

so no more welding etc, he is now a laab cook so he can be with her all day.

as for welders small project men, the choice is back to somchai and his simple sons, or other various village drunks.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

IN the moutains of India,amongst the wilderness, where leopards and vultures roam, they do have water services just by dialing a telephone number. Also in the poorest state of Bihar, when there is a power outage, the homes and business have a backup generator good enough to power all the ac of the hotel rooms. But in this land of fake smile.... NOOOOOO!

• Confused 1