2 Thai driving questions that have bugged me for ages now

matta330

Why are Thai drivers so lane adverse? If a car is in the left hand lane, and a driver wants to pass in the center lane, they take half of the right lane. Or just drive between lanes for kilometers at a time..

And I still don't get why they insist on backing into parking spaces. Any serious explanations?

Regarding the hogging of multiple lanes/driving on the line between two lanes, it's just poor driving habits....Thais have so many poor drivnig habits to including tailgating, infrequent use of turn signals, etc. These habits exist because of little driver training and probably most importantly little to no traffice law enforcement other than at checkpoints where drivers turn into angels. And watch out of all motorcycles as they are by far the most dangerous thing on Thai roads....motocycles represent approx 80% of the deaths and injuring on Thai roads. When driving Thai courtesy like seen in their homes goes out the window....it's now Mr Hyde behind the wheel, not Dr Jekyll.

Regarding the backing into parking spaces, I really don't see any difference between backing in and driving in. Kinda like how about half the world drives on the left side and half on the right side. Plus how the packing lines are aligned makes a huge difference in whether people back in or drive in....if the parking lines are angled they'll drive in...but if the lines are straight out they almost always back in.

Regarding the hogging of multiple lanes/driving on the line between two lanes, it's just poor driving habits....Thais have so many poor drivnig habits to including tailgating, infrequent use of turn signals, etc. These habits exist because of little driver training and probably most importantly little to no traffice law enforcement other than at checkpoints where drivers turn into angels. And watch out of all motorcycles as they are by far the most dangerous thing on Thai roads....motocycles represent approx 80% of the deaths and injuring on Thai roads. When driving Thai courtesy like seen in their homes goes out the window....it's now Mr Hyde behind the wheel, not Dr Jekyll.

Regarding the backing into parking spaces, I really don't see any difference between backing in and driving in. Kinda like how about half the world drives on the left side and half on the right side. Plus how the packing lines are aligned makes a huge difference in whether people back in or drive in....if the parking lines are angled they'll drive in...but if the lines are straight out they almost always back in.

Never really noticed that about the parking bay lines before....but its true, i do that as well...hahaha. I was waiting for a thai driver to reverse into a space a while back, he must have had 4 or 5 attempts at it, with a smallish car...i parked a few spaces away, straight in first time, in a Pajero.

How about the guy in the middle lane, suddenly wants to turn right...whoosh, not a care in the world...

or the motorbike coming steaming up the road the wrong way, flashing his lights for you to get out of HIS way...don't you just love 'em? 555

Would depend on the setup of the parking lanes. Some are better to backup in, some forward. And in my experience it is generally done the easiest way.

regarding taking more space than necessary for overtaking, I think a lack of spacial awareness.

Reversing into car parks makes perfect sense to me. When you arrive and stop at a carpark, it's you that's now dictating the flow of traffic around it. When you try to get out of a carpark, it's the traffic that's now dictating your movements. Seems logical to do the manoeuvre with the lowest visibility when you're in control of the traffic ;)

I've got two small scratches/dings on my vehicle...both on the rear bumper, both occurred while backing and hitting something unseen. And whenever I backup, I backup no further than I absolutely have to in order to leave.

And most Thais will continue to squeeze by you when they see you backing out (especially durn motorcycles)..they just can't wait a few extra seconds in giving you time and space to complete your backing out--unless they want your parking space.

Reversing into car parks makes perfect sense to me. When you arrive and stop at a carpark, it's you that's now dictating the flow of traffic around it. When you try to get out of a carpark, it's the traffic that's now dictating your movements. Seems logical to do the manoeuvre with the lowest visibility when you're in control of the traffic wink.png

Except that Thais can't drive or park. Parking is wherever they happen to stop.

Reversing into car parks makes perfect sense to me. When you arrive and stop at a carpark, it's you that's now dictating the flow of traffic around it. When you try to get out of a carpark, it's the traffic that's now dictating your movements. Seems logical to do the manoeuvre with the lowest visibility when you're in control of the traffic wink.png

Except that Thais can't drive or park. Parking is wherever they happen to stop.

What a load of rubbish.

Reversing into car parks makes perfect sense to me. When you arrive and stop at a carpark, it's you that's now dictating the flow of traffic around it. When you try to get out of a carpark, it's the traffic that's now dictating your movements. Seems logical to do the manoeuvre with the lowest visibility when you're in control of the traffic ;)

Correct and in my case (probably many others to) I have to reverse or I would damage my front spoiler on the concrete stoppers.

Thailand like most foreign countries is different. While we should always do what the Romans do. The old adage still has merit.

Relax, feel the sun and look at palm tress. Forget all the other stuff.

I always thought it's much easier to drive into a small space (a parking lot) and reverse out into a large space. It seems crazy to reverse into a small space (which takes thais much longer) and also risk clipping your car.

Very true. Thais back into parking spaces at supermarkets then have to unload their trolley & carry the bags to the boot scratching the car parked next to them.

I always thought it's much easier to drive into a small space (a parking lot) and reverse out into a large space. It seems crazy to reverse into a small space (which takes thais much longer) and also risk clipping your car.

Very true. Thais back into parking spaces at supermarkets then have to unload their trolley & carry the bags to the boot scratching the car parked next to them.

Whereas Farangs just snap their fingers and the shopping appears magically inside the car, Iv'e heard that some can do it at the checkout, no trolly needed for those magical Farangs.

Why can't these Thai's be as wonderful as we are ? wink.png

Nothing wrong with backing into a parking space. I do it all the time. As you say, it depends if the lines are straight, which they are most of the time except at Tesco Lotus parking lots, which are angled. Makes it much easier than backing out, once the time comes to leave. I can't imagine anyone driving into a parking space at a mall where you have straight lines, only to have to back out afterwards - last time I did this in Phnom Penh where the parking spaces are so narrow, you can barely get out, I almost wasn't able to make it out after being blocked by a car parked in the row behind me, and 2 cars on either side of me. Took a lot of back and forth before I made it out. Many Thai parking garages (mostly at hotels) are also equally poorly designed whereas the ones at shopping malls usually have sufficient space.

Is reversing into a parking space incorrect, then?

No. It's correct.

It's easier to get into narrow parking bays when reversing and it's safer as you already command the space in front of it so are less likely to be driven into by some idiot paying more attention to their phone or evil spawn jumping around in the front seat than what her car is doing.