Current wait time for a UK visit visa appointment?

dont forget your visa starts on the day passport is presented .

Not sure what you mean by that, but as it reads it's not correct.

The visa is valid from the date of issue, which will be printed on the vignette.

You can ask for a visa to be post dated.

• Like 2

My girlfriend's visa started from the date of our flight that we'd booked to the UK.

Visas normally start from the date the decision is made, unless the applicant asks for it to be post dated.

I did think it interesting that the visa started on 13 April, the date of our flight, but was issued 3 weeks before this. I didn't request this although the application made clear when we were flying and I had already booked the tickets.

My girlfriend's visa started from the date of our flight that we'd booked to the UK.

Visas normally start from the date the decision is made, unless the applicant asks for it to be post dated.
I did think it interesting that the visa started on 13 April, the date of our flight, but was issued 3 weeks before this. I didn't request this although the application made clear when we were flying and I had already booked the tickets.
Got to go through this process soon for the 1st time for the wife, is it not a risk to book flights before you get the visa? would it be acceptable to just advise them of your anticipated earliest departure date and duration subject to booking flights?, thanks. Edited by Linesy

Got to go through this process soon for the 1st time for the wife, is it not a risk to book flights before you get the visa? would it be acceptable to just advise them of your anticipated earliest departure date and duration subject to booking flights?, thanks.

Yes, it is a risk, in fact the UKVI specifically advise against booking a non-refundable ticket until the visa has been issued.

People do take a chance, my girlfriend has done so a number of times, but, yes they are taking a chance - I suppose it all depends how confident you are with the strength of the application.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, I guess I would be more confident following a previous successful application but as it's my Wife's first and irrespective of a strong application I think I will wait. Also I would be risking 2 return flights as I will be traveling as well, unless I fly without her!

Back on topic, seems like no problem making appointments.

Edited by Linesy

It's definitely a risk to book the tickets, however, the flights for our fixed dates were heavily booked as it coincided with Songkran. A colleague's girlfriend's visit visa was just refused and he too had booked the flights. She is re-applying and, in any case, the BA tickets are changeable and refundable for an admin fee.

before songkran next day was available. dont forget your visa starts on the day passport is presented .

No, the Visa starts from the day of the flight to UK. Have just obtained one for TGF starting 24 June and expiring 24 December.

Edited by GordonP

Sorry, where do you specify you want the visa postdated? Didn't see it on the form. Do they just do it from your specified travel date?

Sorry, where do you specify you want the visa postdated? Didn't see it on the form. Do they just do it from your specified travel date?

Last time my wife was at the visa centre the girl herself pointed out the fact that she, my wife would lose 3 months of the visa because of the flight dates and when the visa was issued it had a start date about a week before the flight. We've had the holiday and still have time think about another short break before it expires.

Thanks for the above information. I'll be going through the process in the near future.

A slightly off topic, but related question. I understand that my wife will have to attend an interview at the Trendy building in Bangkok. As her English language skills are limited, will the interview be conducted in Thai or English?

Thanks,

Alan

A slightly off topic, but related question. I understand that my wife will have to attend an interview at the Trendy building in Bangkok. As her English language skills are limited, will the interview be conducted in Thai or English?

Your wife will indeed need to attend the Visa Application Centre in Trendy, but it's not an interview, it's just to hand in a hard copy of her application, her supporting documents and to have her biometric details captured.

The staff there are all Thai, and play no part of the decision making process.

Thanks for the above information. I'll be going through the process in the near future.

Thanks,

Alan

Question 44 on the application form asks, if interviewed, which language the applicant would like to use.

The latest guide to supporting docs asks that flight and hotel bookings are not submitted with the application so its up to you. Bear in mind that one of the questions on the form is how much are the flights so you need some idea. I would suggest that you register at the site and complete an application, you can then delete it and do another nearer the time.

Personally I have always booked and paid for the flights about a year before the trip and then just put in the sponsor letter that all flights and accommodation are already booked and paid for.

Question 44 on the application form asks, if interviewed, which language the applicant would like to use.

Those applying for entry clearance to study may be interviewed by UKVI staff to ascertain that they have sufficient English language skills to complete their studies, as the OP's girlfriend is applying for a visit visa she will not be interviewed at the Visa Application Centre - which was the question.

Those applying for entry clearance to study may be interviewed by UKVI staff to ascertain that they have sufficient English language skills to complete their studies, as the OP's girlfriend is applying for a visit visa she will not be interviewed at the Visa Application Centre - which was the question.

The poster was quite right to assume there could be an interview, just not at Trendy, and question 44 deals with his concern.

The poster was quite right to assume there could be an interview, just not at Trendy, and question 44 deals with his concern.

But we were able to allay those concerns. Let's not confuse things, for the avoidance of doubt the posters wife will not be interviewed when she attends the Visa Application Centre, and it's unlikely she would be interview during the decision making process.

As theoldgit has explained, there is no interview at the Trendy, although the staff do sometimes give "advice", which in my girlfriend's case, turned out to be inaccurate. The signage at the Trendy is clear, that VFS staff have no input into the visa decision.

My GF did get a phonecall from someone at UKVI/Embassy and was "interviewed", in Thai, for about 10 minutes - very friendly and just questions about our relationship and our plans for the trip. The visa was issued that day.

Thanks for the clarification. This will be my wife's first visit to the UK purely to visit various family members and friends. I'll make sure that I can cancel the flights and hotels at reasonable cost.

It's still some months before she will have to submit her application but i'll register her and complete the application form as far as possible to ensure that there are no surprises nearer the time.

Alan

Thanks for the clarification. This will be my wife's first visit to the UK purely to visit various family members and friends. I'll make sure that I can cancel the flights and hotels at reasonable cost.

It's still some months before she will have to submit her application but i'll register her and complete the application form as far as possible to ensure that there are no surprises nearer the time.

Alan

If I remember right, once you start an application you only get so long to complete it before it becomes inactive. Its not 5 minutes, something like a month.

Best bet is to do one to get the hang of it, detail needn't be accurate, and then delete it. Start a new one when you are ready.

When you do the dummy make a note of the information you will need when you come to do it for real, this will save hunting for something and running into a session expiring message.

Recent applications - bookings for appointments available within a few days, both times I booked for a few weeks ahead (my wife, and I helped someone else with their application).

As for the start date, my wife's application was for travel on the 26th June. I (well, my wife) applied online in early March and booked an appointment within 3 months of the trip - 31st March. Details of flights were included in the application. The visitor visa was issued, with a start date of 13th June, two weeks before we arrive. We did not request this date, it was just issued as that.

Same with my wife, although for the first time I never sent the flight booking. Must have been taken from intended date of travel.

Being a morning flight the visa in fact starts the day we land in the UK.

Recent applications - bookings for appointments available within a few days, both times I booked for a few weeks ahead (my wife, and I helped someone else with their application).

As for the start date, my wife's application was for travel on the 26th June. I (well, my wife) applied online in early March and booked an appointment within 3 months of the trip - 31st March. Details of flights were included in the application. The visitor visa was issued, with a start date of 13th June, two weeks before we arrive. We did not request this date, it was just issued as that.

We have had exactly the same. The visa runs from 2 weeks before we travel. We didn't ask for that date it was just issued like that.

Alan

If I remember right, once you start an application you only get so long to complete it before it becomes inactive. Its not 5 minutes, something like a month.

Best bet is to do one to get the hang of it, detail needn't be accurate, and then delete it. Start a new one when you are ready.

When you do the dummy make a note of the information you will need when you come to do it for real, this will save hunting for something and running into a session expiring message.

Thanks, I'll do that. Can you print out the information as you go along? (I know I can take a print of the screen, if necessary.)

Alan

Alan

Thanks, I'll do that. Can you print out the information as you go along? (I know I can take a print of the screen, if necessary.)

Alan

Not as such, only as you suggest by screen dump.

Printing the application is the very last step, in order to do that the application must be completed, appointment made and application paid for. Once the application has been flagged as completed, no further changes can be made.

There are 2 main benefits from a dummy run, firstly, getting the hang of adding supplementary data. This is done via an 'add' box and quite straightforward once you have grasped the concept.

Secondly there are 2 questions that may require a text answer, better to have the answer ready so they can be copied and pasted in.

They are question 81 - "PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY THEY ARE PAYING TOWARDS

THE COST OF YOUR TRIP?"
and question 87 - "IS THERE ANY OTHER INFORMATION YOU WISH TO BE
CONSIDERED AS PART OF YOUR APPLICATION?"

Alan

Alan

Not as such, only as you suggest by screen dump.

Printing the application is the very last step, in order to do that the application must be completed, appointment made and application paid for. Once the application has been flagged as completed, no further changes can be made.

There are 2 main benefits from a dummy run, firstly, getting the hang of adding supplementary data. This is done via an 'add' box and quite straightforward once you have grasped the concept.

Secondly there are 2 questions that may require a text answer, better to have the answer ready so they can be copied and pasted in.

They are question 81 - "PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY THEY ARE PAYING TOWARDS

THE COST OF YOUR TRIP?"
and question 87 - "IS THERE ANY OTHER INFORMATION YOU WISH TO BE
CONSIDERED AS PART OF YOUR APPLICATION?"

Thanks. I'll probably take a screen print as I go along so I can remember what answers I've put in. My wife is totally computer illiterate, so I would have to type everything in for her.

I can think of a few answers to submit in response to question 81, though some of them may not go down too wellbiggrin.png

Alan