Thai Spirit Houses. What do the various figurines represent?

BookMan

I am interested in the Thai spirit house and their various figurines of animals and people along with certain offerings, such as red Fanta

There is one near me that seemingly has close to 100 zebras, big and small, so many that they spill out onto the footpath

Interested in hearing from people who know what the various animal figurines represent in Thai culture and why offerings, such as red fanta is popular

I am interested in the Thai spirit house and their various figurines of animals and people along with certain offerings, such as red Fanta

There is one near me that seemingly has close to 100 zebras, big and small, so many that they spill out onto the footpath

Interested in hearing from people who know what the various animal figurines represent in Thai culture and why offerings, such as red fanta is popular

I don't know about specific figures, but I asked my wife about one filled with hundreds of zebras in Chiang Mai and she said that when someone prays or wishes for something..... If the wish comes true..... They leave a zebra as a type of thanks. I am guessing this is the case for all the animal figures. But honestly, I have a very hard time keeping up with all the superstitious craziness here....... Just thinking about it makes my head spin.....

Why do some houses have ladders for the spirits? Dont all spirits fly, or do some get drunk and have to climb the stair or ladder back up. Honest question.

The ones with a ladder are if you have a "bad spirit" residing on your property.

I think post #8 is closest to the truth.

When the candles are lit, the incense sticks come out, and the boiled chicken and cordial offerings are displayed, this old atheist just stays clear and quiet and lets the missus get on with it.

What's silly to many of us, means a lot to many locals, and it's best to let them worship without comment.

Just don't let her feed you the boiled chook after it's been sitting in the sun all day. (Best to stay away from boiled chook at any time!)

Thats right. In the Village its a Shaman that does the blessings.....

Wife's cousin is a Brahman priest. He makes good money from house blessings

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

I'm no expert but I think the locals just adopt whatever they confident with.

With relation to the plaster of Paris figures - certain temples in Ayuttaya have the zebra or chickens, when I questioned it - it was because a certain king loved chicken fighting and it was his temple.

Down here in the south, there is a temple in NST with a magical log that you rub and see the lottery numbers - if you win - tradition dictates returning to the temple with some chicken figures.

I know it's not directly related to spirit houses but kind of relevant.

I have questioned different people on the red Fanta mystery and all came with the same answer -

"well it's a known fact spirits like red Fanta"

"what about a bottle of coke or Sprite ?"

"Don't be so stupid!"

Edited by recom273

I said in my OP that i thought there were about 100 Zebras

I was wrong

I did a rough count and there is approx 350 Zebras in this average size spirit house! There are so many zebras that they are piled high at the side and underneath the house is also jammed with more zebras.

Why is the zebra so popular for this one?

There are some elephants and chickens in this one too.

A big pile of toy scale model cars also

I don't know about specific figures, but I asked my wife about one filled with hundreds of zebras in Chiang Mai and she said that when someone prays or wishes for something..... If the wish comes true..... They leave a zebra as a type of thanks. I am guessing this is the case for all the animal figures. But honestly, I have a very hard time keeping up with all the superstitious craziness here....... Just thinking about it makes my head spin.....

If that large it could be Phra Phrom rather than ordinary spirit house.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phra_Phrom

This seems to be one of those 'depends who you speak to' queries - but I was told that the black and white pattern brings good luck, so the Zebra offering is thought to help if you need some luck.

An elephant is used if you are launching a new business.

But as said above - there's the 'normal' spirit house that is a domestic shrine for the spirits of the previous occupiers of the land to use, and it's also used for the family to gives thanks/offerings ..... and then there's the public shrines (that sometimes start as spirit houses for local houses or public buildings) but they get 'upgraded' to shrines once people find that their offerings resulted in exceptional good luck. These then tend to attract the chickens, zebras and elephants depending on the local history of the shrine and whatever was thought to bring the good luck. It's a 'word of mouth' thing, which is why we hear so many different versions.

So in Bangkok the Erawan Shrine is thought to be good for new business ventures (and there's some amazing gold elephants just appeared there last week), whereas the Central World Shrine is good for finding a husband (hence all the red roses).

Like all religions - the beliefs are a collation of other religions and it's always evolving.

This would be considered in Christianity as idol worship.

All Christians should take note.

Many Christians wear and worship Criusifix, is this not an idol. We should not, in this case confuse worshipping "Idols", with worshipped "Faulse I dolls". This enters a new dimension of theological and philosophical debate. Irrespective of the religions you take into account. What you refer to is is in the Ten Commandments.. Given to Moses..and part of the JEWISH religion.

I have no qualms in combining Christianity and Buddhism. Or any other that encouraged harmony.

With relation to the plaster of Paris figures - certain temples in Ayuttaya have the zebra or chickens, when I questioned it - it was because a certain king loved chicken fighting and it was his temple.

Down here in the south, there is a temple in NST with a magical log that you rub and see the lottery numbers - if you win - tradition dictates returning to the temple with some chicken figures.

I know it's not directly related to spirit houses but kind of relevant.

I have questioned different people on the red Fanta mystery and all came with the same answer -

"well it's a known fact spirits like red Fanta"

"what about a bottle of coke or Sprite ?"

"Don't be so stupid!"

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1461127983.875529.jpg

In the north, where my wife is from, its horses instead of zebras. It seemed strange to me, since horses aren't very common in Thailand, so I asked her about it. Like with the chickens (above), it seems that one of the regional kings from long ago had a fondness for horses, so that's what everyone puts in the spirit houses. OK, then.

I suspect the Coca Cola company is behind the strawberry Fanta thing smile.png. No Sprite, Pepsi or Est cola! Not unlike the Catholic "fish on Friday" thing, which I understand was instituted to bolster an ailing fishing industry.

The red drink is thought to symbolise blood, and so gives energy to the spirits.

There are various theories about the zebras. One is that zebra crossings are a safe place to cross the road. (Try saying that with a straight face!) And so a gift of a zebra helps to ensure a safe journey.

Try this one!!!:

A zebra statue is a popular offering meant for a roadside spirit shrine. People who believe their wishes have been granted by the power of a shrine will repay it with a zebra statue. We assumed this was probably because Thai deities like exotic animals but, according to archaeologist Assoc Prof Srisak Vanliphodom, a zebra represents safety as the animal is linked to pedestrian crossings and is therefore auspicious.

In the north, where my wife is from, its horses instead of zebras. It seemed strange to me, since horses aren't very common in Thailand, so I asked her about it. Like with the chickens (above), it seems that one of the regional kings from long ago had a fondness for horses, so that's what everyone puts in the spirit houses. OK, then.

Have you also thought to yourself - zebra ?

Chickens I can understand, horses - hmmm ..

Zebras ?? Hell, my wife gets confused with the difference between a goat and a sheep .. A llama blew her mind - so how many locals have ever seen a real zebra ??

Prior to English being taught in school and a word needed to represent the letter Z .. How would anyone come in contact with a zebra ?

Edited by recom273

This would be considered in Christianity as idol worship.

All Christians should take note.

Many Christians wear and worship Criusifix, is this not an idol. We should not, in this case confuse worshipping "Idols", with worshipped "Faulse I dolls". This enters a new dimension of theological and philosophical debate. Irrespective of the religions you take into account. What you refer to is is in the Ten Commandments.. Given to Moses..and part of the JEWISH religion.

I have no qualms in combining Christianity and Buddhism. Or any other that encouraged harmony.

Silly. No. It's not an idol, and it's worn simply as an expression of faith, not an object of worship. Christians don't "worship" the cross. It's simply an important religious symbol. And I think you know that.

Edited by hawker9000

Have you also thought to yourself - zebra ?

Chickens I can understand, horses - hmmm ..

Zebras ?? Hell, my wife gets confused with the difference between a goat and a sheep .. A llama blew her mind - so how many locals have ever seen a real zebra ??

Prior to English being taught in school and a word needed to represent the letter Z .. How would anyone come in contact with a zebra ?

One doesn't need contact with a creature to know of it and about it. Plenty of cultured Europeans are familiar with sphinx, cyclops, chimaera, minotaur, cerberus, basilisk, centaur, cockatrice, dragon, griffin, manticore, phoenix, unicorn and eskimo - all creatures mythological which don't even exist.

re

Why do some houses have ladders for the spirits?

ive often wondered why as well but ive no idea why sad.png

dave2

There are two kind of Spirit Houses, often seen next to each other.

One type has one post that is quite high, and the other has four posts and a ladder.

The one is for House Ghosts, and the other (and I think it's the one with the landder) for the Land Ghosts.

It's important (for believers) to clear all "old" spirits from land and house, and as the spirits need a place to stay, they can inhabit the spirit house. You will need a shaman to clean the land and monks to clean the house. To keep the spirits inside their houses, you need to take good care and feed them, for example with red Fanta; which seem to be the preferred ghost-drink...smile.png

So i open small shop in a market. Gf says have to give offerings to small Buddha located at market for luck. I ask if she understands that the 2 first days in a month she is working you spend for offerings. So we open in another market. And god be damned there's 2 Buddha's.

So now since everybody is buying for each 1 she also has to do that. I tell her if she doesn't think Buddha is already satisfied with the 50 bottles already there, And gives me the eye. So around 1500bht per month she spends on Buddha. I ask if Buddha wouldn't be more happy that she gave this money to some poor bastard sleeping on the street. Not same she says. ....

Edited by sead