Goverment loan for university recovery non payment

Hi all.

Thai wife of 35 years of age. had student loan when she was 19/20/21 ?? so 15 years ago for university from kasikorn bank secured by parents as guarantor on land with what would of been a wooden hut on at the time i guess (village farming chanotte).

about 5 years ago they took her (and her farther) to court for non payment.. amount was 110,000bt apparently (myself being the last to know) she was told to pay 3000bt per month.

she paid for a few months then stopped as could not afford it.

then about 4 months ago what a i assume is a collection company appeared on the scene demanding the total outstanding which had now jumped to about 180,000 ... she paid with my help about 70,000bt and expected to be able with my help now to pay 3000bt per month ..

apparently though the people on the end of the phone say only the full amount is acceptable and they want the remaining 110,000bt or there will be problems.

she has phoned the bank and they say its not them dealing with it now .. assume as it went to court.

anyone got any experience of this ?

Another example of a Thai person not understanding/complying with the conditions associated with a loan.

The dept will have to be paid or the land forfeited (If it has not already been sold)

I doubt there will be much chance now of agreeing staged (term) payment.

If the debt was incurred by your wife before marriage it is her debt and you cannot be held accountable for it.

Edited by johnatong

Sounds high for tuition at Kasikorn as it is a government University ....... Especially 15 years ago.

Kasikorn was the bank the loan was taken from not the university ..

As a totally paranoid person. One must always consider the loan may not exist, and your wife may be extorting you.

It isn't exactly unknown for this to happen in Thailand.

Looks like Krung Thai runs the Student Loan Fund started in 1996, not Kasikorn

http://press.anu.edu.au/apps/bookworm/view/Financing+Higher+Education+and+Economic+Development+in+East+Asia/7301/Text/ch10.html

Edited by BritManToo

Sounds high for tuition at Kasikorn as it is a government University ....... Especially 15 years ago.

Kasikorn was the bank the loan was taken from not the university ..

As a totally paranoid person. One must always consider the loan may not exist, and your wife may be extorting you.

It isn't exactly unknown for this to happen in Thailand.

Looks like Krung Thai runs the Student Loan Fund started in 1996, not Kasikorn

http://press.anu.edu.au/apps/bookworm/view/Financing+Higher+Education+and+Economic+Development+in+East+Asia/7301/Text/ch10.html

you are correct .. its krung thai... i knew it started with a K. :D

i understand the paranoia lol .. but unfortunately ut does exist ..

The bottom line is that the loan has to be paid. This is how life works. Borrow from the mob (or as Thais say, "out of system" loan) and someone will come break your legs if you default. Borrow from a bank and default, someone is going to come take your car, land, etc. Pretty much the same in every country.