• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, inventorinthailand said:

Wiggy and Pontious, It would be nice to read a owners report :-D

Well, I was getting to it as I only picked it up on Saturday. So far, so good. It is a very nice car, both in appearance (photos below) and functionality. I haven't been on a long run yet, but plan to next weekend. In Bangkok traffic the fuel economy is hovering around 10km/l, which is about what I was expecting. I commute at 6am and 3pm though, so it's not the worst of the traffic that I experience. Although the rear camera is good, I do miss the reverse sensor as I have come to rely upon it after having had one on my cars for the last 11 years. I'm contemplating having one fitted, but I'll get used to the camera.

The acceleration is very smooth and I'm impressed with the CVT transmission, particularly with being able to use the paddles whilst in 'D' without shifting into 'S'  (in 'S' the paddles are in constant use, in 'D' they can be used temporarily to brake or accelerate until the car returns to cruise, when the automatic CVT takes over again). That said, I haven't floored it yet as I like to take it easy for the first 500km or so.

I plugged in my iPod into the center console, and both that and Bluetooth for my phone connected flawlessly. I like the fact it has Apple Car Play and Android, so that text messages can be read out and/or dictated back to send. I feel it could do with a few more cubby holes for storage nearer the driver, but that's just a personal thing. The biggest thing I miss from the Focus is the sunglasses holder in the roof. That was an excellent accessory, but nowhere to keep them tucked away in the Honda :(

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1543.JPG

IMG_1542.JPG

IMG_1541.JPG

10 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I read in the news paper we are not allowed to quote that the 1.5 turbo sale in Thailand is app 20% and 80% 1.8.

Nice looking car the new Civic.

But you just did quote it. Lol. Beside that, why not? That seems strange. I did read that some were suggesting that the turbo would overheat in Thailand. Possibly, but with every pick-up in the country having a turbo charger I don't exactly see many smoking at the roadside with overheated turbos.

5 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

But you just did quote it. Lol. Beside that, why not? That seems strange. I did read that some were suggesting that the turbo would overheat in Thailand. Possibly, but with every pick-up in the country having a turbo charger I don't exactly see many smoking at the roadside with overheated turbos.

Well I didn't mention any names, did I? LOL.

Congt on the civic, excellent color choice.

10 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Well I didn't mention any names, did I? LOL.

Congt on the civic, excellent color choice.

Oh that, I thought you meant you weren't allowed to quote the stats. I was forgetting that bit about not naming the newspaper itself. My bad for misreading (I haven't had my second coffee yet). Thanks for the comment on the colour, I think it looks good.

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 8:42 PM, inventorinthailand said:

Wiggy and Pontious, It would be nice to read a owners report :-D

Don't quite get your post. I bought the 1.8 EL. Nicest car I have owned. Too electronic for my taste but such is life these days. 

On 6/9/2016 at 5:44 AM, alanrchase said:

Is the dealer getting your English manual for you? I ordered a 1.8 last week and asked for a manual in English and was told there wasn't one. I mentioned they would have to ask for one from Honda but don't think they will. May have to contact Honda myself.

Did you get your English manual? I got both within a week, so they do exist.

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 5:00 PM, Ace of Pop said:

Turbo R S is only in Black n White with Black interiors, bloody stupid idea imo.

I got the white paint on the EL for free, black leather interior. All personal taste I suppose. Think it is rather nice nice myself. Would agree that for the extra money the RS costs more choices should be available. If you wish to pay and wait a while for delivery you can probably get your colour of choice.

On 2016-08-11 at 7:27 AM, Wiggy said:

Well, I was getting to it as I only picked it up on Saturday. So far, so good. It is a very nice car, both in appearance (photos below) and functionality. I haven't been on a long run yet, but plan to next weekend. In Bangkok traffic the fuel economy is hovering around 10km/l, which is about what I was expecting. I commute at 6am and 3pm though, so it's not the worst of the traffic that I experience. Although the rear camera is good, I do miss the reverse sensor as I have come to rely upon it after having had one on my cars for the last 11 years. I'm contemplating having one fitted, but I'll get used to the camera.

The acceleration is very smooth and I'm impressed with the CVT transmission, particularly with being able to use the paddles whilst in 'D' without shifting into 'S'  (in 'S' the paddles are in constant use, in 'D' they can be used temporarily to brake or accelerate until the car returns to cruise, when the automatic CVT takes over again). That said, I haven't floored it yet as I like to take it easy for the first 500km or so.

I plugged in my iPod into the center console, and both that and Bluetooth for my phone connected flawlessly. I like the fact it has Apple Car Play and Android, so that text messages can be read out and/or dictated back to send. I feel it could do with a few more cubby holes for storage nearer the driver, but that's just a personal thing. The biggest thing I miss from the Focus is the sunglasses holder in the roof. That was an excellent accessory, but nowhere to keep them tucked away in the Honda :(

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Great, Thanks for you review. How about now then, How does it accelerate? Do you have any plans to chip tune it? Are there yet any reliable Civic 1.5T tuners in Thailand?

8 hours ago, inventorinthailand said:

Great, Thanks for you review. How about now then, How does it accelerate? Do you have any plans to chip tune it? Are there yet any reliable Civic 1.5T tuners in Thailand?

The acceleration is rapid. For me, the CVT is excellent. It gives the feeling of a jet engine (without the thrust!) spooling up to full power, and the car never stops pulling. An added benefit is that he engine note is sweet - it has a low kind of growl which I like. There is a small amount of turbo lag at low revs, but less noticeable when travelling faster and flooring it. Personally I won't chip tune it as it's quick enough for me driving mostly in Bangkok. Plus I imagine it would invalidate the warranty? I took it on a longer run on the weekend and it returned 18km/l (50mpg) whilst cruising at around 110km/hr. Adaptive cruise control would be ideal here but, alas, Honda didn't feel it was necessary. 

Overall, I'm very pleased with it.

1 hour ago, Wiggy said:

The acceleration is rapid. For me, the CVT is excellent. It gives the feeling of a jet engine (without the thrust!) spooling up to full power, and the car never stops pulling. An added benefit is that he engine note is sweet - it has a low kind of growl which I like. There is a small amount of turbo lag at low revs, but less noticeable when travelling faster and flooring it. Personally I won't chip tune it as it's quick enough for me driving mostly in Bangkok. Plus I imagine it would invalidate the warranty? I took it on a longer run on the weekend and it returned 18km/l (50mpg) whilst cruising at around 110km/hr. Adaptive cruise control would be ideal here but, alas, Honda didn't feel it was necessary. 

Overall, I'm very pleased with it.

I take it you are using the fuel consumption figures from the dashboard. It may lie. I got 21km/l on a 10km round trip, pretty good. Filled it up and on next refill computer said 15.8 km/l was the average over about 3/4 of a tank and various driving. My calculation from litres added to tank and km driven was 13.5 km/l. Maybe the attendant filling the tank managed to get more in than the previous fill.

35 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

I take it you are using the fuel consumption figures from the dashboard. It may lie. I got 21km/l on a 10km round trip, pretty good. Filled it up and on next refill computer said 15.8 km/l was the average over about 3/4 of a tank and various driving. My calculation from litres added to tank and km driven was 13.5 km/l. Maybe the attendant filling the tank managed to get more in than the previous fill.

Well, if the dashboard figures are false then Honda can expect to find themselves in a similar position to VW pretty soon. It's more likely that the attendant rounded it up more than another, as you say. I think one can get about another litre or so in the neck of the tank. That would make a difference if the fuel nozzle was removed at the first click on the prior fill. 

48 minutes ago, Jitar said:

Fuel consumption indicators are often not 100% accurate.  I doubt an optimistic fuel consumption display would have anything like the legal and publicity ramifications of cheating on emission standard tests.  

True. Sorry, what I meant was if Honda were deliberately producing incorrect or badly calibrated gauges then they could find themselves in hot water in light of the VW fiasco. I'm pretty sure that's not the case here though. Speedos can have up to 10% error margins, so I wouldn't be surprised if fuel consumption indicators are similar in nature. 

4 hours ago, Wiggy said:

True. Sorry, what I meant was if Honda were deliberately producing incorrect or badly calibrated gauges then they could find themselves in hot water in light of the VW fiasco. I'm pretty sure that's not the case here though. Speedos can have up to 10% error margins, so I wouldn't be surprised if fuel consumption indicators are similar in nature. 

I get about a 5 or 6% difference between real consumption and the onboard measurement in my swift, with the actual consumption being  a bit higher than the cars reading. Strangely, the readings got more accurate after I put on wider tires. 

As for chip tuning, there is already a chip out for the honda turbo, by racechip thailand. http://www.racechipthailand.com/

173 HP --> 224 HP and 220NM --> 279 NM  That data is from their facebook page. 25,000 baht for racechip ultimate. 

43 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I get about a 5 or 6% difference between real consumption and the onboard measurement in my swift, with the actual consumption being  a bit higher than the cars reading. Strangely, the readings got more accurate after I put on wider tires. 

As for chip tuning, there is already a chip out for the honda turbo, by racechip thailand. http://www.racechipthailand.com/

173 HP --> 224 HP and 220NM --> 279 NM  That data is from their facebook page. 25,000 baht for racechip ultimate. 

Dont foreget to tell the Insurance Folks.

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

I don't know much about this stuff, but I assume it would invalidate the warranty, wouldn't it? And, as Ace says, the insurance company would need to be updated on the new specs.  

Edited by Wiggy

2 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

I don't know much about this stuff, but I assume it would invalidate the warranty, wouldn't it? And, as Ace says, the insurance company would need to be updated on the new specs.  

It can be removed before servicing and replaced afterwards. Just takes a few minutes. 

I would think honda would notice something was not right only if they downloaded data from the ecu. Not changes are made to the stock ecu and not wiring changes are made. 

The video I saw of a honda with it ran 14.8 for the quarter mile with no other modifications. I did see another clip from the US where Injen made a cold air intake for it and get a lot of HP also...couldn't recommend that for here though as the air intake is down close to the wheel.

21 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

PS the only gizmo that's potentially useful is a Dash Cam thy are so cheap now, why not.?. Anyone want my Cruze thing,only use it to stop it going wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

That's the first thing I put in, Ace. I got a little Polaroid dashcam from the UK. Got it wired nicely around the screen and dash, so no wires showing. Essential here as so much red light jumping going on now it's getting silly. I showed a clip recently to a traffic policeman in his box after a bus nearly took me out coming through a red light 10 seconds after it was red. Yep, you know the response: a little chuckle and "Mai Bpen Rai, you not dead."

Why do we bother?

Hi Guys,

I went to the motor sale in Bangkok the other day and ended up booking a reservation for the 2016 Honda Civic 1.8EL. I heard a few rumours about lights popping up on the dashboard for no reason and engine over heating but ignored them until the last couple of days as my mrs has read countless forums and reviews about the problems/failures that the new civic is having.

Now i'm in two minds whether or not to bin it and go for the Mazda 3 or just take the chance and hope i'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't get any problems with the Civic.

Has anyone here heard or own a new civic who has had any dramas with it? 

btw, Wiggy your car looks well nice!

Edited by andy182

Friend of mine popped in today with his new black 1.8. Over all found it to be very nice.

Large boot, good rear legroom, nice seats, only things I didn't like was the electric hand brake, no DVD player you have to download everything? And it felt like I was sitting on the ground reminded me of my old Lotus days. But then again I'm used to sitting in a tank now.

Drove well but as it's almost new wasn't able to give it any large right foot.

Hi Guys,

I went to the motor sale in Bangkok the other day and ended up booking a reservation for the 2016 Honda Civic 1.8EL. I heard a few rumours about lights popping up on the dashboard for no reason and engine over heating but ignored them until the last couple of days as my mrs has read countless forums and reviews about the problems/failures that the new civic is having.

Now i'm in two minds whether or not to bin it and go for the Mazda 3 or just take the chance and hope i'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't get any problems with the Civic.

Has anyone here heard or own a new civic who has had any dramas with it? 

btw, Wiggy your car looks well nice!

I have one so just Googled for problems. Just a quick scan but appears the problems are with the 2.0L engine model. No problems with mine since I bought it 10 weeks ago.

10 hours ago, alanrchase said:

I have one so just Googled for problems. Just a quick scan but appears the problems are with the 2.0L engine model. No problems with mine since I bought it 10 weeks ago.

The 2.0 is in the US model, also. The 1.8 has been around a while, so there should be minimal engine issues.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a Honda Civic  RS Turbo. Took delivery on 24. August. One week later aircon not working, display flickering, double images on display, colors and brightness gone. Sensor warning lights coming on from all the sensors. First dealership just rebooted the system which solved the problem for one day.Went to another dealership, they tried to fix the problem for one hour with no results then said will have someone from Honda Thailand to come and check.

Upon calling Honda Thailand it was confirmed that they know about this problem and everything will be replaced, means a new aircon compressor and new display on a 2 weeks old car. If checking youtube you will see that Honda is still not able to fix the software issues.

Beside that, I am getting an average of 6.5km/l (15 liters/100km!!!) and 9.5l/km (11 liters/100km) in "ECO" mode. I do not race the car, and it is not stop and go, just average commuting including highway.

Will have them fix it and if I get any more problems will go with my lawyer and Consumer protection board of thailand and ask for a Refund!

1473508025071_resized.jpg20160905_160713.jpg

20160905_142942_resized.jpg

20160905_160812.jpg