Krungsri first choice platinum

Anyone else have this credit card?

I just received mine but all papers/flyers/booklet etc is in Thai.

Tried looking on their web but again all is in Thai.

Calling their customer service now all in Thai been put on hold for 10 mins already waiting for someone who speaks English!

Also if someone can point out the difference between credit card credit limit and personal loan credit limit would be much appreciated. I have both apparently

Thanks

Surely, the credit card limit is exactly what it says - the limit on the credit card - whilst the personal loan credit limit is the maximum amount you can enter into a loan agreement for - in other words, a pre-approved loan limit.

I understand that but normally at least in my experience a credit card states total credit limit. This card divides the total credit limit in two - credit card limit 50% and personal loan credit limit 50% of the whole credit limit.

I will go in a local branch and see if I have any luck.

Would be good to know if it's a popular card with farangs as no info at all in English on the internet unlike other credit cards

I don't think any Thai credit card is popular with farangs simply because unsecured cards are hard to qualify for and secured cards require a collateral/locked deposit account. To use Krungsri's own words regarding qualifying for a credit card see below partial quote from their website:

https://www.krungsri.com/bank/en/KrungsriGuru/Money-Tips/december-2014/which-credit-card-is-right-for-you.html

Do I Qualify?
As a foreigner, banks are going to be much more hesitant about approving you for a credit card. You might just decide to leave one day and they will be holding bad debt that they are unable to collect on. With this being said, it is still possible to get a credit card if you meet certain requirements. Depending on the issuing bank, this would include a minimum monthly salary, a condominium lease, a work permit, and possibly even a healthy bank account which can be used as collateral. Despite all of this, getting a Thai credit card is definitely worth it. There are a variety of perks and benefits of having one and it will definitely pay off for you. The only way to know if you qualify for sure is to go and apply yourself!

That's a debit card; the OP said he had credit card unless he meant debit card.

But from looking at the things offered by above particular debit card it offers "a cash advance service" (a.k.a., personal loan) which is unique for a debit card so maybe that is the card the OP really has...a debit card instead of a credit card....and of course the debit card can be used for purchases.

Edited by Pib

Nope it definitely is a credit card. I got thru to customer service at last and it is correct the personal loan credit limit is the maximum amount cash advance. The credit limit is to pay for goods etc.

What I find strange is most bank/credit card websites have both English and Thai (Krungsri included) but Krungsri first choice credit is not listed under Krungsri bank.

It has its own website (in Thai) under first choice.

Not very helpful as all promotions/cash back/deals is all in Thai. That's why I concluded it mustn't be that popular with expats.

Nope it definitely is a credit card. I got thru to customer service at last and it is correct the personal loan credit limit is the maximum amount cash advance. The credit limit is to pay for goods etc.

What I find strange is most bank/credit card websites have both English and Thai (Krungsri included) but Krungsri first choice credit is not listed under Krungsri bank.

It has its own website (in Thai) under first choice.

Not very helpful as all promotions/cash back/deals is all in Thai. That's why I concluded it mustn't be that popular with expats.

Please post the Krungsri weblink for your credit card. I don't see any credit card named "Krungsri First Choice Platinum."

Edit: Never mind, a google came up with this webpage separate from the Krungsri Bank website...I expect this is weblink you were talking about?

http://www.firstchoice.co.th/GEMFC/default/benefit-platinum.html

Edited by Pib

I have one and think it works well. Set up online banking (all in English), and that can help with understanding offers etc.

True most of the promotion stuff is in Thai, they have one for the BTS that I'd like to know more about.

Anyway statements etc are in English.

Good to hear. Yes it would be good to understand all promos.

I already have Krungsri app installed on my phone. Is it easy to set up an extra credit card?

How did u set Internet banking if their website is in Thai? Sorry for all the questions but I'm finding it confusing.

I have another credit card with Citibank and both their website and helpline are very easy, friendly and straightforward - to set up everything was a doddle. Even the pin I got to set up over their helpline.

When I asked about my pin to first choice they said they sent it by post but haven't received anything yet

Remember that krungsri credit cards and First Choice credit cards are separate things. While they are both ultimately related to the same parent company, they are not the exactly the same, nor directly interchangeable. Each has its own website as well as promotional programs that may be exclusive to one line (ie first choice or krungsri) or both.

http://www.firstchoice.co.th/GEMFC/default/home.html

Yep that's it exactly. It's affiliated with Krungsri but it has separate website/phone etc

even their automated phone line does not have English options as normal banks.

Oh well you live and learn lol

I was thinking of applying for one of these but if they have no English staff on their call Centre or phone options I don't think I will now....

Pity because it looks like a decent card but my Thai ain't good enough yet to explain complicated financial problems over the phone if anything goes wrong ...

KTB are very racist. Be careful certain things they promise do't apply if you're not Thai. One example is the debit card they sold me with insurance, well the insurance only is valid for Thais.

I've been with them for years and they wouldn't offer me any interest.

However, their online banking is quite good and they did give me a mortgage but that was really only due to my wife being Thai..

Edited by Johnniey

KTB are very racist. Be careful certain things they promise do't apply if you're not Thai. One example is the debit card they sold me with insurance, well the insurance only is valid for Thais.

However, their online banking is quite good and they did give me a mortgage but that was really only due to my wife being Thai..

Regarding the no interest comment, that's because your particular KTB branch has you coded as a non-resident. If you have a long stay visa be sure to show them that; otherwise, get a residence certificate from your servicing Thai immigration office or home country embassy...and you may still have to get the certificate even if having a long stay visa/extension of stay.

Over the years I've seen quite a few posts of ThaiVisa members who are not getting interest even though they have lived in Thailand for years and have long stay visas because their bank branch has intentionally or by mistake coded their account as non-resident. And this is by no means limited to KTB branches but other Thai bank branches also.

You may be with a branch that is not expat friendly even though they are super polite and all smiles when you visit the branch. Most likely it's the branch manager that has a less than positive attitude regarding farang accounts.

Most likely it's the branch manager that has a less than positive attitude regarding farang accounts.

Ah yes! Much easier to blame casual racism than a simple lack of understanding of the status of people who represent an insignificant minority of accounts.

Most likely it's the branch manager that has a less than positive attitude regarding farang accounts.

Ah yes! Much easier to blame casual racism than a simple lack of understanding of the status of people who represent an insignificant minority of accounts.

When you open an account they take a copy of your passport and visa, so they know your status at that point, so yes it is pure racism.

Why would farangs "representing a minority of the accounts" make a difference in bank branch policies towards the farangs?

Are minorities of people (however you want to determine a minority) treated differently when it comes to whether they receive interest on their account or not?

When you open an account they take a copy of your passport and visa, so they know your status at that point, so yes it is pure racism.

Not so much racism, more like pure greed

They think farang can't read the terms and conditions etc so they don't bother giving them the perks....

Believe me, a Thai will screw another Thai almost as fast.... If he thinks he can get away with it :)

Why would farangs "representing a minority of the accounts" make a difference in bank branch policies towards the farangs?

Are minorities of people (however you want to determine a minority) treated differently when it comes to whether they receive interest on their account or not?

Are you really that obtuse? When dealing with exceptional circumstances administrative understanding may be less than perfect.

Regarding the no interest comment, that's because your particular KTB branch has you coded as a non-resident. If you have a long stay visa be sure to show them that; otherwise, get a residence certificate from your servicing Thai immigration office or home country embassy...and you may still have to get the certificate even if having a long stay visa/extension of stay.

Over the years I've seen quite a few posts of ThaiVisa members who are not getting interest even though they have lived in Thailand for years and have long stay visas because their bank branch has intentionally or by mistake coded their account as non-resident. And this is by no means limited to KTB branches but other Thai bank branches also.

You may be with a branch that is not expat friendly even though they are super polite and all smiles when you visit the branch. Most likely it's the branch manager that has a less than positive attitude regarding farang accounts.

They've seen my work permit, my pay goes there from my work and they've also seen my yellow house registration book!

They've seen my work permit, my pay goes there from my work and they've also seen my yellow house registration book!

Change bank?

Yep that's it exactly. It's affiliated with Krungsri but it has separate website/phone etc

I was thinking of applying for one of these but if they have no English staff on their call Centre or phone options I don't think I will now....

Pity because it looks like a decent card but my Thai ain't good enough yet to explain complicated financial problems over the phone if anything goes wrong ...

Retail branches of krungsri can take applications for either "arm", be that the traditional krungsri cards or First Choice cards as well. If you are physically in Bangkok, both offices are in the same building, albeit different floors.

I went with a co-worker last week to help him apply. We went to the krungsri branch in Paragon and they did both applications (with his permission) krungsri as well as FC, and he only needed one set of original documents for the two applications (but you have to file the applications at the same time/place)

So, if you can find a branch of krungsri that you like, are familiar with, you can make an application for one or both.

On the service side, in those few times when I've had an issue that I either couldn't explain over the phone or wasn't clearly understood by phone staff, I've gone to a larger branch of the bank (under the assumption that there will be someone whose English skills are sufficient) and always had the matter addressed in person. Super easy? Well, I'd prefer not to have to go to the bank if I don't have to, but in the end given how often I have had to do this, I don't count it as a major issue.

Edited by new2here

Retail branches of krungsri can take applications for either "arm", be that the traditional krungsri cards or First Choice cards as well. If you are physically in Bangkok, both offices are in the same building, albeit different floors.

I went with a co-worker last week to help him apply. We went to the krungsri branch in Paragon and they did both applications (with his permission) krungsri as well as FC, and he only needed one set of original documents for the two applications (but you have to file the applications at the same time/place)

So, if you can find a branch of krungsri that you like, are familiar with, you can make an application for one or both.

On the service side, in those few times when I've had an issue that I either couldn't explain over the phone or wasn't clearly understood by phone staff, I've gone to a larger branch of the bank (under the assumption that there will be someone whose English skills are sufficient) and always had the matter addressed in person. Super easy? Well, I'd prefer not to have to go to the bank if I don't have to, but in the end given how often I have had to do this, I don't count it as a major issue.

but when you get a brick in a box instead of a laptop you ordered from a dodgy chinese merchant and they have no english option in their call centre ?

that would be a deal breaker for me because i hate having to ask other people to help me fix these kinda things .....if they want my bisiness ,they need to add at least 1 english speaking thai to the cakll centre

but when you get a brick in a box instead of a laptop you ordered from a dodgy chinese merchant and they have no english option in their call centre ?

that would be a deal breaker for me because i hate having to ask other people to help me fix these kinda things .....if they want my bisiness ,they need to add at least 1 english speaking thai to the cakll centre

That's a fair position... I myself, so far, haven't found the English skills at the banks I use, be lacking to the point where it's materially impacted my service needs.. But as I've often said to them, that I think it's a reasonable expectation to see a slow but gradual improvement in this aspect; to include staff speaking other languages as their clientele demographics expand.