Weather in Chiang Rai region

kal147

No fog down here, warm and clear.

Thanks for the all clear. You got me out of the house at least 30 mins earlier than on my own. I was that long into my ride before patches of blue started showing up. On the way back it looked like I would ride into a wall of water if I continued down the 1020 toward Chiang Khong so cut my ride short at 59 km. No rain at home though and temps ranged from 27 to 34 during the ride.

I have only been here for 4 years. The last 2 days are the coldest temperatures I have experienced in October. How often does October experience these low temperatures? Where I came from if the thermometer fell below 20C during the day it was considered equivalent to be 0 C, ie bloody freezing

Edited by ripstanley

I have only been here for 4 years. The last 2 days are the coldest temperatures I have experienced in October. How often does October experience these low temperatures? Where I came from if the thermometer fell below 20C during the day it was considered equivalent to be 0 C, ie bloody freezing

It may have happened before, maybe 5 or 6 years ago, but I can’t remember for sure. It may have been November. The way I look at it, we don’t have a traditional winter based on latitude. What we get is cold fronts which dip down from China from time to time. Whether it is the jet stream or some other weather anomaly causing the cold to move south at any given time I don’t know.

We rest at roughly the same latitude as the Hawaiian Islands 19+ degrees, so the angle of the sun is almost identical in both places throughout the year. The ocean stabilizes things in Hawaii but being inland temperatures vary more in Chiang Rai and sometimes China blesses us with some chilly days.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading about people dancing in the rain in Burma after the election and thought "well it's not raining here" looked out the back door and there it was on the way.

Went into town and there was about an hour's quite heavy rain just before lunch.

• 3 weeks later...

Down here in Phayao we had the rain all night with clouded conditions until lunch time. This afternoon we had sunshine but as soon as the sun disappeared behind the mountain range at 1715 the cold air returned.The temperature inside as I post is 23 and outside below 20.