Music world in shock as Prince dies suddenly aged 57

webfact

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a poseur, a phony, vacuous 80's schlock ..... Isn't that almost the definition of a "pop star"?! thumbsup.gif

He sure must have pissed people off by how he dressed. However a person who composes his own music, writes the lyrics, then plays it solo, as in plays every instrument in the recording studio for the cd has to be somewhat talented. You wonder how many in the good old days, or present day, could have done that?

I think Freddie Mercury could have done that. Before his demise, Bowie did it, Paul Simon etc. Lots of those people do it.

Let's not forget Paul McCartney. He was the best all around musician in the Beatles and also wrote loads of magical tunes.

The corpse formally known as Prince

What's that supposed to mean...?

Funny….but inappropriate.

But funny.

@Transam: LOL.

Very funny

it is a reference to when Prince changed his name to a symbol, and insisted to be called as " The artist formerly known as Prince"

and hence forth would be known as

"The artist formerly known as alive"

What ? too soon?tongue.png

Dude wasn't just a Pop star. He could absolutely shred the guitar as well.

Amazing talent.

one of the best versions of `While my guitar gently weeps .... i have heard ... yes he rips into guitar solo ... never realised he was so good... even the other musicians were entertained in that show....

When i was young, in my twenties . i loved his music.

Listening back on his music, today, in my fifties. i still like his music.

There is something just sort of funky and sexy about it. And i think that his music shall live on. Lots of memories for lots of people.

Even if his dress sense was a bit odd. But wasn't everyones at that time.

I'm sick of writing RIP this year. There have been too many.

But that wee guy, sort of getcha. He was only five foot two. A wee musical ledgend.

And one sad thing that i read today, is that he had had a child. Who died after a week. How sad is that.

Yes i agree... thats why i didnt write .. RIP in my last post .... maybe we can just say .. thanks for the memories ..... and the Music you gave to the People of the world. Same for all the others who left in the past...........

I was in High School when he hit the charts, and I have to say I hated him then. But it was not his fault. All we saw was this weird personality that really distracted from the music. It was the MTV era and artists were judged by these short films rather than the music.

We were cheated. We missed the music/ the genius, we had no idea.

It wasn't until later that I began to reassess my opinion of him. He really was brilliant and for the most part overlooked.

Sad to see him go. Purple Rain was playing on the radio during a very sad moment in my life. After that Prince was my friend forever.

People like asfkap are true genius.

They can write a song that lasts for 3 to 4 minutes and only 5% of the lyrics are not continually repeated again and again. The sound track only takes 6 weeks to engineer and get absolutely right and when played 'live' on stage sounds completely different.

People listen to it on the radio and go on and on about the fantastic music 'written' by the star when in fact the sound has been electronically managed to the extent it can't be played live and sound the same.

'Pop' stars stand on stage and declare they haven't touched drugs 'for 8 weeks now' and get a standing ovation. If a normal person stood up and said I've never touched drugs in my life and have a really happy home life with two lovely balanced non drug using children the result would be getting called a BOF.

A lot of people out there need to start looking closely at who or what they claim to be great.

Anyway, always sad when someone goes, even someone who liked to wear nylon stockings and a suspender belt/garter belt on stage.

He must have liked the 'Kinks', dedicated follower of fashion.

I don't think he was genius. In fact, I thought he was mostly mediocre and way too pretentious. Remember when he changed his name to some weird, unpronounceable symbol?

IMO, he did one GREAT album (Purple Rain) and a bunch of other OK stuff. He died too young and does deserve to be celebrated for his one major contribution to modern music.

RIP

As my grandmother used to say, "Think before you speak, then shut up."

FYI, Prince tried to get out of his contract with Warner Bros, because they wanted him to release fewer CDs and not flood 'their' market. He couldn't get out of his contract, but he could change his name. he basically just messed with them. Once the Warners contract expired, he went back to the Prince moniker.

I don't think he was genius. In fact, I thought he was mostly mediocre and way too pretentious. Remember when he changed his name to some weird, unpronounceable symbol?

IMO, he did one GREAT album (Purple Rain) and a bunch of other OK stuff. He died too young and does deserve to be celebrated for his one major contribution to modern music.

RIP

FYI, Prince tried to get out of his contract with Warner Bros, because they wanted him to release fewer CDs and not flood 'their' market. He couldn't get out of his contract, but he could change his name. he basically just messed with them. Once the Warners contract expired, he went back to the Prince moniker.

I don't care why he did it. He still came off as a pretentious twit. IMO, he was never in the A leagues after Purple Rain, but obviously - from reading this thread - a lot of people appreciated him anyway. Overall, I would put him in the good, but not great category. That is still pretty good though.

Edited by Ulysses G.

RIP

I don't care why he did it. He still came off as a pretentious twit. IMO, he was never in the A leagues after Purple Rain, but obviously - from reading this thread - a lot of people appreciated him anyway. Overall, I would put him in the good, but not great category. That is still pretty good though.

People in the know, particularly his peers say completely the opposite. I tend to believe them over a pretentious, know it all TV poster.

People in the know, particularly his peers say completely the opposite.

Not all of them. You probably should check out the great Kevin Smith video above. He worked with him and knows a lot more about him than YOU do. It seems like I was right on the money. laugh.png

pre·ten·tious

[prəˈten(t)SHəs]

ADJECTIVE

1] attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed:

Edited by Ulysses G.

Yes pretentious is the right word for him I think. Did not think i's watch all of this but found it very interesting from a man who made a documentary for him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LhcParuzpc

I watched the whole thing. Kevin Smith has great mind, is funny and insightful and shares lots of inside info on The Purple One. Thanks for posting that!

I think Freddie Mercury could have done that. Before his demise, Bowie did it, Paul Simon etc. Lots of those people do it.

"Freddie Mercury played the piano in Queen and is rumored to be able to play the guitar."

I would have thought David Bowie, as he did play a lot of instruments but bass and drums he either played badly or not at all so no. Paul Simon, an acoustic guitar popstar? did he play bass, drums(?) before getting into keyboards, horn section, synthesizer, wind instruments ….

Paul McCartney did play drums, bass and guitar besides many others but I think there is a reason he hired muscians to play. So did Prince, but in the 90's when he was at odds with his record company, he put together a couple cd's worth where he layed down all the tracks and sounded good on those 'other instruments', just did it himself. And did a lot of the mixing.

Too bad he never got to see the Vikings win a Superbowl though

Thais have a more down to earth attitude to their music stars, although there are one or two a bit up themselves, anybody carrying on like Prince, Jackson and a few of the other prima donas would soon be laughed off the stage. After all they are only singers songwriters and entertainers, not the gods some of them seem to think they are. Thai artists behavior to their fans is also far better and closer than most western performers.

You people should be music critics. All that knowledge and experience in a single package going upstream pushing a rope. You have no clue about Prince and what he gave to the music world. But please continue to live in your own SMALL worlds here on TV spouting your ASSumptions while the music professionals and fans around the world mourn the passing a a true musical genius. Wonder if any of you people will be missed by anybody when you pass? Did you make a difference to society or the world or just, your small pathetic 3-foot bubble you think is the world? TV should be renamed as the loser capital of Thailand.

You people should be music critics. All that knowledge and experience in a single package going upstream pushing a rope. You have no clue about Prince and what he gave to the music world. But please continue to live in your own SMALL worlds here on TV spouting your ASSumptions while the music professionals and fans around the world mourn the passing a a true musical genius. Wonder if any of you people will be missed by anybody when you pass? Did you make a difference to society or the world or just, your small pathetic 3-foot bubble you think is the world? TV should be renamed as the loser capital of Thailand.

someone tweak your ponytail ?

A different genre of course but in two hundred years people will still listen to Beethoven,Tchaikovsky,Motzart etc but nobody will know who Prinz was in twenty

How do you know...........?

Perhaps folks with your view thought the same about Elvis, Beatles, even Sinatra. The world remembers their stuff today..

Couple of weeks back I sang Elvis version of My Way, all the Thai folk knew the song and loved it...giggle.gif

Assumptions on music OR the vocalist is in the hands of us humans, not just your view on stuff..smile.png

Hardly historical yet, anyone remember a popular singer from 1910 or a popular song for that matter. I loved the Beatles in my youth now listening to them is like reading an old newspaper, there is no substance in even the best pop song that could keep it alive more than 20 years.

My world is no smaller or bigger than anyone elses world. Writing a few songs and then believing that all the world should hang on to every word that I say is a condition that seems to infect a lot of people out there.

A lot of people who love to talk about how wonderful and clever pop stars are are suffering from a hang on from school days when knowing a lot about a pop star could help you impress the girl you fancied in the school playground.

You should watch the the video that was posted before in this thread.

A different genre of course but in two hundred years people will still listen to Beethoven,Tchaikovsky,Motzart etc but nobody will know who Prinz was in twenty

Perhaps folks with your view thought the same about Elvis, Beatles, even Sinatra. The world remembers their stuff today..

Couple of weeks back I sang Elvis version of My Way, all the Thai folk knew the song and loved it...giggle.gif

Assumptions on music OR the vocalist is in the hands of us humans, not just your view on stuff..smile.png

Hardly historical yet, anyone remember a popular singer from 1910 or a popular song for that matter. I loved the Beatles in my youth now listening to them is like reading an old newspaper, there is no substance in even the best pop song that could keep it alive more than 20 years.

And beethoven, tchaikovosky, and mozart has music still relative to the world and alive?

Point being is that Prince was a musical genius of his time. Music does change with times.

I and many other people listen to songs older than 20 years. Prince's first hit is more than 30 years old and still played on radios and at clubs today.

Everything is relative but, to say he wasnt a musical genius is absurd.

Which shows how wrong you are...If Elvis were alive now, the Beatles were together and they had a concert anywhere it would be a sell out....The Rolling Stones after over half a century later are still singing their original stuff at sell out concerts ANYWHERE in the world....smile.png

quite amazing that some OP's are still strutting their stuff for other OP'S to watch, i like looking at dinosaurs in museums as well. Wait until they a dead and gone, rolling who? Yes Elvis is still remembered, a cult has grown up around him mostly in America but nobody ever went broke under estimating the taste of the American public, who could forget the magic of 'dont step on my blue sued shoes' pathetic

My world is no smaller or bigger than anyone elses world. Writing a few songs and then believing that all the world should hang on to every word that I say is a condition that seems to infect a lot of people out there.

A lot of people who love to talk about how wonderful and clever pop stars are are suffering from a hang on from school days when knowing a lot about a pop star could help you impress the girl you fancied in the school playground.

Nah I listen to his peers and the world. Not some single idiot who thinks he knows who Prince was. Wonder how many Oscars or awards that idiot has won?

Which shows how wrong you are...If Elvis were alive now, the Beatles were together and they had a concert anywhere it would be a sell out....The Rolling Stones after over half a century later are still singing their original stuff at sell out concerts ANYWHERE in the world....smile.png

quite amazing that some OP's are still strutting their stuff for other OP'S to watch, i like looking at dinosaurs in museums as well. Wait until they a dead and gone, rolling who? Yes Elvis is still remembered, a cult has grown up around him mostly in America but nobody ever went broke under estimating the taste of the American public, who could forget the magic of 'dont step on my blue sued shoes' pathetic

Talk about dinosaurs....

Go to any country, and start singing an Elvis or Beatle or for that matter any famous old song and people will know the words right away. Go to a Karaoke place and look at the songs.

It aint The US who knows the songs, its the world.

What's really pathetic is the total disrespect if fellow humans here on TV.

We all have opinions and they are all our own. Doesnt make them fact, just opinions.

If you like funk or jazz, listen to 19 year old Prince on these tracks where the byline says he played most of the instruments http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/listen-to-a-19-year-old-prince-crush-every-instrument-on-funk-fusion-jam-sessions/

TMZ reporting that he was on some heavy percocets due to his hip and ankle problems. http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/22/prince-od-percocet-death/

And beethoven, tchaikovosky, and mozart has music still relative to the world and alive?

Point being is that Prince was a musical genius of his time. Music does change with times.

I and many other people listen to songs older than 20 years. Prince's first hit is more than 30 years old and still played on radios and at clubs today.

Beethoven,Tchaikovsky, Motzart wrote music that stirs the soul, then, now, and in 200 years time, pop music is the plastic product that pleases for a short time,it makes money, that's what it's there for, it is part and parcel of the throw away culture and has its place in here and now,but only here and now, hardly the stuff of genius but you need talent to make money, so does a plumber.

Nah I listen to his peers and the world. Not some single idiot who thinks he knows who Prince was. Wonder how many Oscars or awards that idiot has won?

Happy to hear that from you. Please let me in on the world shattering and really important things that he spoke to about, oh sorry, I just realised all you heard about him was from others who wanted to impress you and the others so you would spend money buying his music.

I do agree I could never be a music critic as most of my intros to the music would get me off air pretty quick. ie I would most likely be honest.

Beethoven,Tchaikovsky, Motzart wrote music that stirs the soul, then, now, and in 200 years time, pop music is the plastic product that pleases for a short time,it makes money, that's what it's there for, it is part and parcel of the throw away culture and has its place in here and now,but only here and now, hardly the stuff of genius but you need talent to make money, so does a plumber.

LOL stirs the soul now there's a stretch. LOL

Tell you what old school, ask somebody to hum a few notes to one of your 200 year old musical geniuses and then ask them to hum a Beatle or Elvis song. See if they can do it and tell us what songs they chose.

Its all relative my friend. Quit trolling and realize like the rest of the world, Prince was a musical genius, one of many.

He was a great songwriter, a great singer, played several instruments with virtuosity, had a few great albums, and sold over 100 million records. I saw him in concert, and he was a great showman, who put on a stunning performance. How anyone can refer to him as average, or mediocre is beyond me. If you don't like him, ok? But, the facts are the facts. This guy was a genius. And he did make a difference.

I have one question for his detractors? What have you done to influence the world lately?