Ministry of Foreign Affairs denies reports that Thailand will be given a red card for IUU fishing

webfact

Ministry of Foreign Affairs denies reports that Thailand will be given a red card for IUU fishing

BANGKOK, 22 April 2016 (NNT) - The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has denied rumors that Thailand will receive a red card for IUU fishing, saying that the country is discussing with the EU the next phase in tackling the issue.

Director-General of the Department of Information Sek Wannamethee spoke regarding the remark by the Permanent Representative of Thailand at The United Nations in New York that Thailand might be given a red card due to the country’s lack of communication and effectiveness in addressing Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated fishing (or IUU).

Mr Sek said that such a remark has never been made, and that Thailand is still in talks with the European Union on the next phase of tackling the issue. He indicated that more talks are scheduled for May this year.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-22 footer_n.gif

So he spoke regarding a remark that has never been made?? blink.png

Regarding the talks that Thailand is still in with the EU:

"The dialogue is proving difficult and there remain serious concerns about the steps taken by Thailand to fight IUU fishing activities," EU Fisheries Commissioner Karmenu Vella wrote in a statement, adding that "further action ... cannot be ruled out".

Yep, sounds like things are progressing swimmingly; this must be why the Fisheries Department director-general was just transferred to the Office of the Prime Minister and the department’s deputy director-general was promoted as the new director-general. Yep, things going well indeed. thumbsup.gif

it seems clear that the EU is happy to aid Thailand decimate fish stocks and exploit slave labour. The Thai government are right not to worry.

Would you care to share the reasoning behind such a bold statement?

I look forward to it.

Two decades of slave trading, involving all branches of military, police, and government. Make them pay for there greed.

It will be the 4 million people making 300 baht/day which will Not get paid. If Thailand ever gets a red card.

It will mean recession.

Two decades of slave trading, involving all branches of military, police, and government. Make them pay for there greed.

It will be the 4 million people making 300 baht/day which will Not get paid. If Thailand ever gets a red card.

It will mean recession.

Simple solution.

Reform industry to standards of market you wish to trade in.

Preserve environment so future generations can access it.

Stop denying there is a problem and solve it.

it seems clear that the EU is happy to aid Thailand decimate fish stocks and exploit slave labour. The Thai government are right not to worry.

I look forward to it.

Because the EU has been extending Thai fishing imports for ages and constantly attack Thailand for SALVE deals and so forth also in the news and you can even search THAI Visa as the lovely news people deliver it RIGHT HERE.

If I can remember it with my feeble old mind others will as well. they may be able to even point you in the right direction.

I just cant be bothered.

Or ask GOOGLE. he knows a lot!

It will mean recession.

GOOD because only then will something happen.

We should not always think SO SAD . They should try to care for their OWN people and not us always caring

CHARITY begins at HOME not from me and you and Bob

Has anyone actually been successfully prosecuted and gone to jail for IUU fishing? How about for slavery? Have any captains using slaves on their ships been sent to jail? How many hi sos ships using slaves have been impounded? What happened to the cop leading the investigation of what happened to slaves on the Thai Malaysian border, the one who fled to Australia claiming his life was in danger as a result of the investigation? These and many other such questions will probably never be answered.

I look forward to it.

Read this rapport wai2.gif

EU extends ‘yellow card’ on Thai fishing exports

https://www.euractiv.com/section/global-europe/news/eu-extends-yellow-card-on-thai-fishing-exports/

“It would be naïve to believe that such steps are taken voluntarily,” she added, although she praised Bangkok for at least starting the reform process.

Edited by carstenp

It will mean recession.

2 decades? more like 200 years I would have thought, & nothing will stop they'll just sell it all to Russia & China at a cut rate, & maybe 2 million of the 4 million will be sacked to make the Hi sos profits back up...

I look forward to it.

For how long has the EU been looking at this situation? what happened the last time that they came to asses progress? I saw little and so from this I conclude that the EU is content to continue the trading relationship.