Phuket orangutan in critical condition

rooster59

Phuket orangutan in critical condition

Kongleaphy Keam

post-247607-0-45742600-1461395978_thumb.
Phuket's beloved orangutan, Milo, is in critical condition. Photo: Vicki Kiely

PHUKET: An orangutan recently confiscated from Phuket Zoo is in critical condition.

The beloved 13-year-old orangutan Milo was moved from the Phang Nga Wildlife Nursery Station to the intensive care unit of the Pasupalun Livestock & Wildlife Hospital in Kanchana Buri on Thursday.

“Initial tests have shown that her red blood cell count is very low. She also has vitamin and mineral deficiencies. She is very weak and suffering from serious stress, which is most likely due to her recent traumatic experiences,” Sirinthip Kemthong, a veterinarian at the hospital, told the Phuket Gazette today

Milo disappeared from the Phuket Zoo ahead of a raid on the facility in February (story here). Khao Phra Thaeo Non Hunting Zone officers discovered her trapped in a locked cage, after she was allegedly released into the jungle (story here).

Milo was immediately transferred to the Phang Nga Wildlife Nursery Station, where she was being taken care of while awaiting approval from the DNP director to be moved to the Khao Prathap Chang Wildlife Sanctuary in Ratcha Buri, which already houses a number of orangutans.

However, concerns for her failing health impelled the nursery station staff to move the hospital in Kanchana Buri.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-orangutan-critical-condition/63750?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-04-23

"Milo disappeared from the Phuket Zoo ahead of a raid on the facility in February (story here). Khao Phra Thaeo Non Hunting Zone officers discovered her trapped in a locked cage, after she was allegedly released into the jungle (story here).

She did not "disappear".

She was spirited away by zoo staff after they were informed by unknown persons of the imminent raid.

The zoo later lied she was "released into the wild". Where? In Phuket?

Because that's where she was discovered abandoned and locked in a cage (so much for "releasing"), thirsty, hungry, disoriented, stressed.

When will the staff finally be held responsible for their deceptiveness and cruel animal treatment? When will the zoo be finally be held punished for illegally holding a protected species (because so far it could not prove to have acquired the primate legally)?

Shut down that disgrace of a zoo!

They have just opened a Zoo in Hua HIn up the Pala U Rd, turn right past the market when you see the sign saying Car Wash and Bar.

Along the end of that RD.

Anyhow, they have spent millions re-siting huge trees and replicating stone henge and building nice walls.

It is in the early stage and not complete but is open now.

I could not believe what I saw --- apes in small cages hovering from side to side and looking totally stressed out like they are insane .

Tigers going mental in small sages.

Lots of Deer but many look amancipated.

From the cages that they are building at present it does not look like it is going to get better, however the Stone Henge replica and the giant trees look great.

I thought it was a hell hole for animals and needs to be visited by animal rights groups and given a kicking and some lessons on how to house animals.

They have plenty of land and potential but seems they are only intersted in building monuments.

A very sad situation.I saw the same sort of thing at The tiger zoo years ago.It just proves to me that Thai people have no compassion or real love for animals.They are only a money making item, thrust out for show and returned again when its over.

Cruelty is common in most,if not all Asian countries,you only have to read the history of some of the war crimes committed upon other Asian people.Let alone animals.

I also see it in domestic cases.If these people really loved their animals,there would never be so many Soi dogs on the streets.

I have a Red Poodle,a beautiful little female,she is 8 months old now.I called her lucky,because she is 'lucky' to have me for a dad.

To allow such a majestic animal to have deteriorated to this condition is a crime.

Shame on you Thailandsad.png