IP address reservation: 3BB GPON-ONU FTTx router

SooKee

Just switched to 3BB FTTx and just been hunting around in the router configuration settings to see if I can find an IP address reservation table or place to set it but can't see it anywhere? Mostly I just reserve the same IP address for my media server. Any ideas where it might be? Will call them on Monday if I can't find it.

Hmmm. Cheers. Sadly don't have anything anywhere that's similar. Easy to find on my previous two ADSL routers. Not on this 'thing'. Seems to be some 'noddy no-name' Chinese junk that's unheard of outside LOS so there's no widely published info about it. I'll call 3BB tomorrow see if they know (not expecting a great deal to come from that though), if not I'll try bringing my Airport Extreme here and just switch this thing to paperweight / Bridge mode and have the wifi and DHCP handled by something decent!!

You'd think even junk ware would have something as basic as IP address reservation :(

For now I've got round it by changing the Mac Mini server settings under 'System Preferences' > 'Network' > 'Configure IPv4' from 'Using DHCP' to 'Manually' and assigned it an IP address outside the range supplied by the modem. All seems to work for now. Generally though I prefer to control such settings via the modem, not the device. Easier to keep track of what you've done. Also, any devices will then continue to show in the modem's list of client devices attached by either wifi or ethernet because IT will have issued the DHCP address. At the moment my server is no longer listed as being on the network, despite the fact that it is.

Trouble is I need the server with a static address so that other devices looking for it will know the IP address to look for in the event of a power loss full system reboot. Can't have the server popping with randomly assigned IP addresses.

Yah. Might have known changing to something supposedly better would bring its own problems. Shouldn't be this hard to set something so basic though. Chinese junk-ware I guess sad.png

In this case I agree although almost all electronics stuff is made in China (Apple, Samsung name it).

But it makes a difference whether a reputable western brand name, marketing, quality assurance and support is behind.

This seems to be business to business product.

Am I correct in saying that your ISP has access to the router?

In which case you want an extra layer of protection, because I wouldn't trust those bastards as far as I can throw them.

I turn off the Wifi on my ISP's router and use a NAT'ed internal router to manage my network.

Yah. Might have known changing to something supposedly better would bring its own problems. Shouldn't be this hard to set something so basic though. Chinese junk-ware I guess sad.png

In this case I agree although almost all electronics stuff is made in China (Apple, Samsung name it).

But it makes a difference whether a reputable western brand name, marketing, quality assurance and support is behind.

This seems to be business to business product.

Agreed, hence the term junk-ware. The Airport Extremes are OK and work well with Apple functionality like AirDrop, mostly without problem. But they are v expensive for what they are and hardly offer outstanding performance. Linksys, Asus and Netgear also offer good AC alternatives. Known brands, generally with fairly good user support and documentation. Even TP-Link and D-LINK are better known, but I've had no end of problems with their ADSL stuff, overheating, drop-outs and need for constant re-starts. This GPON thing though is just OK, just, but poorly laid out basic GUI and zero documentation.

Not sure what you mean?

Can your ISP access the router?

Or let me put it this way:

Can you access the router?

And have you changed the default password.

Yes it's changed. I'm just not sure what this has got to do with the problem I have? Router access is not the problem. Finding a setting once within router settings to reserve a specific IP address for one device is.

Yes it's changed. I'm just not sure what this has got to do with the problem I have? Router access is not the problem. Finding a setting once within router settings to reserve a specific IP address for one device is.

What I mean is I wouldn't use a perimeter router as my DHCP server.

Do everything through an internal router and use port forwarding and a decent firewall.

Ah. Well, at the moment it's all I have until I bring a Airport Extreme here in a week or so. But I want to test one first to make sure the devices work ok together. In Malaysia the Airport HAS to be in bridge mode simply because of the way the ISP handles PPPoE handshake, e.g. not in an Apple compatible way.

• 10 months later...
On 24/04/2016 at 1:39 PM, Chicog said:

In which case you want an extra layer of protection, because I wouldn't trust those bastards as far as I can throw them.

I turn off the Wifi on my ISP's router and use a NAT'ed internal router to manage my network.

Have a related question that may help other users.

do you reccomend buying a second decent router and just using the first one as decortion?

27 minutes ago, manchega said:

Have a related question that may help other users.

do you reccomend buying a second decent router and just using the first one as decortion?

Well not in those words.

But yes, I recommend buying a decent router for internal use and just using the ISP supplied one as a modem.

3 hours ago, manchega said:

just one more is needed for internal.  Was not meant to be as beligerant as it may appear.  From an earlier comment I'm trying to work out if you suggest getting 2 routers, 1 being  a modem router to replace the isp one?

No, the ISP router is normally OK with ethernet, as that's usually far more than adequate for whatever bandwidth you're getting off them.

Just an internal router to manage and secure your internal network, so that everything is hidden from your ISP.

Most of these ISP modem routers are old, cheap and mostly insecure (and insecurable).

I'm stuck with a Huawei 8245 which is frankly a load of rubbish.

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/02/2017 at 10:28 PM, Chicog said:

No, the ISP router is normally OK with ethernet, as that's usually far more than adequate for whatever bandwidth you're getting off them.

Just an internal router to manage and secure your internal network, so that everything is hidden from your ISP.

Most of these ISP modem routers are old, cheap and mostly insecure (and insecurable).

I'm stuck with a Huawei 8245 which is frankly a load of rubbish.

Have you found anything that works well?  I got burned falling for the hype with buying an Airport Extreme a few years back. Barely any better than the cheapo ISP router it replaced - crap VFM.  Won't be falling for that one again!!!!

Archived