Tickets for traffic violations in Thailand to be printed in English

webfact

Tickets for traffic violations in Thailand to be printed in English

dual.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK:-- Tickets for traffic violations are being printed in English to welcome in the Asean Economic Community.

As more foreign vehicles flood into Thailand everyone will at last know why they are being relieved of their cash. The new tickets are expected to be used throughout the kingdom from August, reports Thairath.

In announcing the new measures traffic police chief Ekarak Limsangkart said that the translated forms will make life easier for both traffic cops and visitors alike.

"We are experiencing more and more foreign vehicles coming into the country with the AEC and if we use the old forms foreigners will not understand so English will be written underneath the Thai," said Ekarak.

"In the new forms there will be a place to write the name and surname, the reason for the fine, the amount payable and other details " he added.

The new translated forms will comprise those used roadside by officers, an electronic version and a larger A4 one that is sent through the post.

But the new forms have yet to be printed and would not come into force until about August. Police said that should be enough time to use up the 28,300 books of the Thai only forms that are still left.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-25

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why are people here so skeptical? I have been here for over 30 years and never once had a fine and yes I drive a car and used to ride a motorbike. It isnt really difficult to remain fine free, just stop thinking you can do as you wish and you wont get fined.

Foreign vehicles "flood" into Thailand?? Probably better to print the forms in Chinese as I don't see many people driving from Worthing or San Francisco to Thailand.

New forms will, naturally, have a list of offences and appropriate fines. Amongst which will be:

1, Killing a Police Officer. Must buy a ticket to Malaysia

2 .Not wearing seat belt. Vehicle has no seat belts. Fine 100B

3. Killing several people. Voluntary Community Service if surname contains Na

4. Overtaking on inside lane. Fine 100B

5. Failing to stop at red traffic light. Fine 200B

6. Driving pickup with 20 passengers in rear. If Thai 10 B per person. If not Thai: Deportation.

7. Driving with No Licence. Fine 200B

8. Stopped on suspicion of offence on or after 26th of the month. Fine 500B to defray officer's expenses until pay day

Edited by laolover88

How many tickets does each book have? Assuming they have 50 per book, that would amount to 1,415,000 tickets to be issued by August 1. I.e 14 weeks! That is 101,071 tickets per week, or 14,438 per day!!! The police will be busy over the next 3 months :-)

"But the new forms have yet to be printed and would not come into force until about August. Police said that should be enough time to use up the 28,300 books of the Thai only forms that are still left."

Wonder if that include the "missing" books too?

with 28,300 books to finish by August they surely would be busy

coffee1.gif

I am looking forward to this one. From previous experience of been told my offences. So the following will be on a ticket.

Not enough air in your tires.

Not signaling even though I had stayed in the same lane for 15 minutes.

I was stopped because my car looked like someone else's car.

My documents although all correct I should pay more as I am a foreigner.

I can't wait to have them printed out in English to keep as a souvenir.

I wonder will they write one for. I am pulling you over "just because I want too and you are a foreigner so you should pay"

coffee1.gif

Noticed the gold ring on the photo, nicely sums up the nature of this lucrative business... coffee1.gif

IMHO the real question is why there is so little spent on quality driver's education and assurance as well as proper law enforcement including daily patrols instead of checkpoints and I think as it previously posted the fines are really don't have any deterrent force... wai2.gif

Noticed the gold ring on the photo, nicely sums up the nature of this lucrative business... coffee1.gif

Your post nicely sums up your knowledge of the price of a half-baht gold wedding ring.

I wonder why you didn't take the opportunity to slag-off the same person for flashing a watch?

Edited by Scouse Twoccer

"But the new forms have yet to be printed and would not come into force until about August. Police said that should be enough time to use up the 28,300 books of the Thai only forms that are still left."

Wonder if that include the "missing" books too?

with 28,300 books to finish by August they surely would be busy

coffee1.gif

If they were doing their jobs properly, they could issue that many tickets before lunchtime. And that's just for foreigners. :)

Tickets for traffic violations are being printed in English to welcome in the Asean Economic Community

That's some welcome. biggrin.png

Agree, there are many other documents and signs (additional to driving / traffic) that should have had English (and Thai of course) decades ago, and now Chinese.

Follow Singapores' lead - by law everything must be in 4 official languages.

Malaysia has something similar. The Malaysian government also has an official translation office. Government offices must use this office before they print documents and signs etc., to ensure the words, spelling, capitalization etc., is perfect. From previous experiences in my old office in KL the translation office has very quickly delivery of the finished translations.This office is open to business enterprises also but obviously with limits. Ultimately getting the translation correct is required by law.

Edited by scorecard

Why write them in English? What a load of croc. I have seen more Thais recently given tickets and naughty farrangs who disrespect all laws so too bad.

The vehicles I see do not have Plates from UK, USA or Australia on them but I do see a lot from CHINA.

Now why not print the tickets in Chinese so when they return home the Chinese have a nice souvenir as they wont pay

Why are people here so skeptical? I have been here for over 30 years and never once had a fine and yes I drive a car and used to ride a motorbike. It isnt really difficult to remain fine free, just stop thinking you can do as you wish and you wont get fined.

Same here. Fined once for not wearing proper helmet (bicycle helmet, which I had been wearing for last 5 years). Friendly copper. Showed me the official fine-rates on a plastified sheet. Pointed out that I could also be fined for not having ID nor DL on me (substantially more expensive than the helmet thingy which was only 200thb) but he let that go. I got the fine and went to police station to pay, where a female copper asked if i needed English assistance (not needed). So, no complaints here. Honestly it was a professional job and no positive discrimination for the farang (plenty of Thais were also fined at the same spot that moment)...

Your post nicely sums up your knowledge of the price of a half-baht gold wedding ring.

I wonder why you didn't take the opportunity to slag-off the same person for flashing a watch?

Hehe. The KAEKES next door sell these rings for 500-2500THB ...

I wonder if you have something to say or only took the opportunity to slag-off someone?

Let me guess, you also have never over paid for anything, never saw a cheating Thai, and your home was perfectly built using Western standards. ;-)

Tickets for traffic violations are being printed in English to welcome in the Asean Economic Community

let's welcome Asean by printing traffic tickets in English, yay! wai.gif

everyone will at last know why they are being relieved of their cash

we all know why we are relieved of our cash, but I am looking forward to having the reasons printed in English... cheesy.gif

Edited by klauskunkel

BiB must all learn English then...

Some need to learn bloody Thai too!

I had to get a police report from our local Plod when someone nicked the bike number plate. I took my Thai son with me to help explain the circumstances.

When we got the report I asked my son if it said the plate was lost or stolen, he told me he wasn't sure as the report was so badly written it looked like the work of a 3 year old!

The lady at the registration office said the same thing but eventually accepted it.