Activist to Sue Over Tiger Temple Zoo Permit

webfact

Activist to Sue Over Tiger Temple Zoo Permit
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14615697061461569749l.jpg
Monks and volunteers block government vehicles in April 2015 from leaving a commercial wildlife center operating as a temple in Kanchanaburi province.

KANCHANABURI — An animal rights NGO said today it would take the authorities to the court for granting a zoo permit to a temple notorious for operating an illegal, commercial wildlife business.

Activist Edwin Wiek said Monday the lawsuit would be a “last resort” in his efforts to stop Wat Pha Luang Ta Bua Yanasampanno, aka the Tiger Temple, from getting the long-sought permit that would legalize its operations.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1461569706

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-04-25

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they already have a zoo permit and in 2 years they will open as a zoo.... Enterprising monks is not Buddhist. How the Buddhist community allows this speaks a lot for Thai Buddhism. Their claims of keeping a zoo separate from the temples business is a joke and they are complicent by appointing one of their aides to run it.

Basically this article tells me money paved the way for this temple to keep abusing and using tigers as a means for profit by tourists. Sickening thought but then, I am not Thai so I wouldn't understand.

Getting this place properly regulated and managed is entirely the right thing to do. As long as the animals are properly treated, are not taken from the wild or sold to the Chinese (again) what's the problem?

Showing compassion for animals is one of the Five Precepts of Buddhism, for those who didn't know.

Getting this place properly regulated and managed is entirely the right thing to do. As long as the animals are properly treated, are not taken from the wild or sold to the Chinese (again) what's the problem?

Showing compassion for animals is one of the Five Precepts of Buddhism, for those who didn't know.

If you do some research on this place, you'll find it's been widely reported the animals are obtained illegally, bred inappropriately, possibly drugged, and parts sold in the middle of the night.

Also research how much money they are making. It's huge!!!! Must be a lot of brown envelopes passing around to keep this place open. Definitely not a Buddhist precept.

These are the problems:

Getting anything properly regulated and managed is more like wishful thinking.

Compassion for animals maybe a Buddhist Precept, but you may find that the taking of tigers from the wild and selling to China is mostly done by Buddhists.

I thought the Authorities were going to close this Temple down,or

at least rescue the Tigers,NOW they are going to give them a permit !

regards Worgeordie

U know Thailand worgeordie they just swing from one crisis to another , and nothing ever makes sense

That they got a zoo permit and no one was prosicuted is disgusting and an embarrasment to Thai Buddhism.

As usual money talks here...

Giving the place a zoo licence will do nothing to help the conditions of the animals.. in fact it will gve the temple more confidence to openly display illegal animals and carry on with the illegal animal trade.

How can Buddhist communities allow any temple to keep any animals in cages.. its completely opposite to Buddhist teachings... wich is about setting animals free.

That they got a zoo permit and no one was prosicuted is disgusting and an embarrasment to Thai Buddhism.

As usual money talks here...

Giving the place a zoo licence will do nothing to help the conditions of the animals.. in fact it will gve the temple more confidence to openly display illegal animals and carry on with the illegal animal trade.

How can Buddhist communities allow any temple to keep any animals in cages.. its completely opposite to Buddhist teachings... wich is about setting animals free.

Unfortunately it's human nature to keep captive animals, whether it's pets or zoos, for the sense of delight and wonder. I don't think you'll be conditioning that out of the human species for a few million years.

My understanding - someone correct me if there's solid evidence that I'm wrong - is that these tigers are not taken from the wild, but are essentially domesticated, hence they are so tame.

These are the problems:

Compassion for animals maybe a Buddhist Precept, but you may find that the taking of tigers from the wild and selling to China is mostly done by Buddhists.

All the more reason to try harder and for some Buddhists to set the right example.

These animals are destined for a life in captivity no matter where. Close this place down and the tigers are only shifted somewhere else, where in all likelihood the conditions may be worse and they certainly won't get so much fond attention. I've done some reading on this temple and all the accusations of drugging or bad conditions don't hold up. Selling some of them off was out of order but that is easily regulated. I don't think they'll dare try that again. Personally I'd rather see animals in the wild than in zoos, but a lot of people like the temple and it's something unique in the world - give it another chance.

Here's your good Thai Buddhists taking care of the tigers. Disgusting.

Put away your faux outrage. They're just playing. You never played with a cat?

They are drugged. Cats belong in the wild, not teased while drugged. And have you read about how many have been bitten there? Quite a few....so no, I don't "play" with big cats like that.

Saw quite a few on my various safaris in Africa. That was great. All from the safety of our vehicle.

They are drugged. Cats belong in the wild, not teased while drugged. And have you read about how many have been bitten there? Quite a few....so no, I don't "play" with big cats like that.

Saw quite a few on my various safaris in Africa. That was great. All from the safety of our vehicle.

If they were sedated they'd be asleep, not jumping about.

And the thing is, these tigers (correct if I'm wrong) are bred in captivity, not taken from the wild.

Edited by ddavidovsky

If they were sedated they'd be asleep, not jumping about.

And the thing is, these tigers (correct if I'm wrong) are bred in captivity, not taken from the wild.

Have you ever taken sedatives? Not all put you to sleep. As for tigers, I did say "cats". Not tigers.

It's widely reported about the drugging. A quick google search will give you some good info...

Same with how they obtained these cats. There were not all bred there. Origins are unknown, but likely taken from the wilds. And for sure were trading in animal parts.

Again, disgusting.

These are the problems:

All the more reason to try harder and for some Buddhists to set the right example.

These animals are destined for a life in captivity no matter where. Close this place down and the tigers are only shifted somewhere else, where in all likelihood the conditions may be worse and they certainly won't get so much fond attention. I've done some reading on this temple and all the accusations of drugging or bad conditions don't hold up. Selling some of them off was out of order but that is easily regulated. I don't think they'll dare try that again. Personally I'd rather see animals in the wild than in zoos, but a lot of people like the temple and it's something unique in the world - give it another chance.

I think you have a nice personality and after reading some of your other posts on this subject I believe you are seeing only the good in others. Being an optimist is rare and a good thing...I therefore retreat and concede, the "Tiger Temple" is a pure and altruistic institution, where animals are treated the way they should be and are better off there than anywhere else. I have seen the light and the light is rose-colored. Thank you

Edited by klauskunkel

Please tell me what people think happens to the cute little tiger cubs when they grow into adults?

Have you been to this place or a tiger kingdom place where you can hold and have your photo taken with lots of tiger cubs?

Did you notice that they always have lots of tiger cubs.. all year round, every year, every month.. lots of very young ones.

Now how can they keep them all?

Could it be they are killed or exported live to China for their demand for tiger body parts?

These places are in reality nothing more that farms. The farm the tigers, not for tourists to play with, but for their meat and bones.

Its well hidden.. and its rich and influential people who run these things.

‘Tiger Temple’ gets the go-ahead to build zoo
By Coconuts Bangkok

2016-02-26t151701z_1_lynxnpec1p172_rtrop
Tigers chained to trees at the Tiger Temple. Photo: Reuters

KANCHANABURI: -- The controversial “Tiger Temple” has been given the go-ahead to construct a zoo on 25 rai of land after obtaining the required license.

The popular tourist temple, which brings in US$3 million a year from tourists wanting to play with and take selfies with its 147 tigers, has long been accused of abusing and exploiting its animals.

The temple, formerly known as Wat Pa Luangta Bua Yannasampanno, is in a remote part of Kanchanaburi province and claims that wild tigers have sought sanctuary in its compound and reproduced at the site.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/04/26/tiger-temple-gets-go-ahead-build-zoo

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-04-27

I thought the Authorities were going to close this Temple down,or

at least rescue the Tigers,NOW they are going to give them a permit !

regards Worgeordie

Should we be surprised.Some one of powerful persuasion has obviously bought into the deal

to ensure smooth sailing. More Tiger's, more cubs being born. They coouldnt possibly keep them all

which means they, or parts of, will have to be sold.Its going to be a breeeding farm not a zoo.

Sickening, but when there's baht to be made some can't help themselves.

I hope this obscene move gets international coverage but doubt the decision will be reversed.