Will a US cell phone convert to a Thai phone?

Old Fool

If I give a Thai person a US purchased android phone, can that person then use it the same way they would use one that they bought at the mall in Thailand? I know that I can change language on the US model, but I am not sure if it will convert over to be used like a Thai phone would. Anybody do this?

Only if it's GSM (not CDMA like some US phones) and supports the 850Mhz band if you want to be able to use 3G anywhere from any operator.

I'll leave it to people more knowledgeable than I am for the 4G part.

why bother, phones in Thailand are dirt cheep and come with minutes

Maybe your crappy phone, but the OP probably has something that doesn't suck.

Most decent phones these days are quad band LTE and work on both CDMA and GSM networks. If it's unlocked then it will work - otherwise it will have to be rooted, then it will work. So yes.

Both CDMA and GSM? link please? I have yet to see a phone that does both. These are completely different standards, nothing to do with whatever bands they support. GSM phones use SIMs, CDMA phones don't.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/gsm-vs-cdma-difference-better/

Desimlocking a phone is completely unrelated to rooting it. Rooting a phone doesn't desimlock it and rooting is not always required to desimlock a phone.

For using a U.S. mobile in Thailand, you'll want several things:

--as a starter, the phone should be unlocked GSM, as CDMA is gone in Thailand.

--for accessing 3G data, it should have the 850 and/or 2100 Mhz 3G bands.

--for accessing LTE if it's LTE capable and the user has an LTE service plan, it should have the 1800 and 2100 Mhz LTE bands.

The band uses vary some among the different main Thai mobile carriers.

--AIS is mainly on 2100 Mhz for 3G and 1800 Mhz for LTE.

--DTAC and True, I believe, are using 850 and 2100 Mhz for their 3G. Not sure on their LTE use bands.

Right now, depending on the location/city where the phone would be used, I'd say 3G is still the primary mobile data band with the broadest coverage, while the various mobile carriers work to build out their relatively new LTE networks.

Both CDMA and GSM? link please? I have yet to see a phone that does both. These are completely different standards, nothing to do with whatever bands they support. GSM phones use SIMs, CDMA phones don't.

Desimlocking a phone is completely unrelated to rooting it. Rooting a phone doesn't desimlock it and rooting is not always required to desimlock a phone.

Some flagship phones sold by the big CDMA carriers in the U.S. (Verizon or Sprint) are both CDMA and GSM in the sense that the phone has a GSM SIM slot. During normal use in the U.S. on Verizon or Sprint, the phone is in CDMA mode; when requested by the user for use overseas, Verizon will "unlock" and "activate" the GSM SIM slot so that the phone can work on a GSM network.

Keep in mind, this needs to be done by Verizon before going overseas.

Clarification: when the term "quad band" is used, it's generally used with GSM phones to mean that the phone can work on all four world-wide GSM VOICE frequencies, ie: GSM voice frequencies are the same world-wide, which means one can use a GSM phone for VOICE and TEXT worldwide.

4G or LTE frequencies vary worldwide by country and carrier, so a phone that is sold, for example, in the U.S. by T-Mobile will not necessarily have the correct 4G frequencies for, example, AT&T in the U.S. or a provider in Thailand.

When looking for a GSM phone to use FOR DATA (4G / LTE) in different countries throughout the world, phones made for sale in multiple countries by companies such as OnePlus, Huawei, or Asus are good one at which to look.

Also remember, if one has a GSM phone that was sold in the U.S. by a GSM provider (AT&T or T-Mobile), that phone must be "unlocked" (able to use a GSM SIM from another company) by the carrier prior to leaving the U.S.

In the U.S., if one purchased their phone as part of one's contract, the carrier does not have to unlock the phone until the contract is completed. Obviously, if one bought the phone outright from the carrier, the carrier will unlock the phone within a day or two of the request being made, but the request typically needs to be made to customer support. In my experience, carrier stores are unable to unlock phones.

If one buys an unlocked GSM phone through, for example, Amazon.com in the U.S., the phone will arrive at one's door unlocked and ready to go.

I would recommend buying through Amazon.com because, in addition to selling unlocked GSm phones from major manufacturers, it's easy to find dual-SIM phones which allows one to have both a "permanent" SIM for family and co-workers and a "disposable" SIM for those people one would not necessarily want to hear from once one leaves Thailand.

Re the above, there are SOME varieties of mobiles used on the Sprint and Verizon networks in the U.S. that can be unlocked by the carrier to support GSM use when traveling outside the U.S. Not all their phone will support that, but some have hardware that does. Depends on the individual model involved.

That said, the mainly CDMA phones in the U.S. that also have a kind of backup GSM capability often tend to have quite limited GSM/3G frequency bands available on the GSM side of things. And the main 3G bands in the U.S. aren't necessarily the same as those in Thailand.

So, anyone thinking to repurpose a Sprint or Verizon phone for Thailand mobile network use really needs to look carefully at what GSM bands, if any, such a phone might support, and how those relate to what's used and available in Thailand.

Ok, so it appears that there is no difference in phones between US and Thai. I have already used my own android unlocked, ATT, lollipop phone with true move and it appeared to get 4G ok, so I'm not really worried if the phone will or won't work. I am just trying to wonder if the girl I give it to will be able to use it like the one she has. In other words, will checking the box for Thai language make the phone a "Thai" user phone? (will they be able to navigate everything and use apps the same) I think she has an older android. I'm looking at <$300 USD for one on sale like maybe an LG G4.

And for the guy wondering why I don't get a cheaper phone, I am trying to upgrade the video quality/ pic quality when we chat and get her something nice in the process. She has a cheap service that's probably 3G. I hear that phones are everything to Thai girls. I figure it would be a lot cheaper to get her a new phone and service then try to get her home internet service and a tablet/ camera/ computer.

Ok, so it appears that there is no difference in phones between US and Thai. I have already used my own android unlocked, ATT, lollipop phone with true move and it appeared to get 4G ok, so I'm not really worried if the phone will or won't work. I am just trying to wonder if the girl I give it to will be able to use it like the one she has. In other words, will checking the box for Thai language make the phone a "Thai" user phone? (will they be able to navigate everything and use apps the same) I think she has an older android. I'm looking at <$300 USD for one on sale like maybe an LG G4.

And for the guy wondering why I don't get a cheaper phone, I am trying to upgrade the video quality/ pic quality when we chat and get her something nice in the process. She has a cheap service that's probably 3G. I hear that phones are everything to Thai girls. I figure it would be a lot cheaper to get her a new phone and service then try to get her home internet service and a tablet/ camera/ computer.

A phone bought in the US is unlikely to have a Thai language option. Phones usually are regional, my Samsung has lots of Asian language options but besides that only English, i.e. no French, German, Spanish, etc.

Any quad band GSM phone that is not LOCKED to a specific carrier - ATT, Sprint, T-mobile, etc - will work in Thailand. As long as the operating system (iOS or Android OS) of the phone has an option to switch to a different language it will function. There is no physical/internal difference in the phone from the USA and Thailand.

MJ

To the OP:

manufacturer and exact model nr. (either from carton or from label inside the phone, remove back cover)?

What network provider was it used with (or does work with)?

Model nr. from the label is important, marketing names ("S5", "S7" etc.) sometimes don't help.

Thai language: unlikely without reprogramming or some dirty tricks with rooting etc. Hands off.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thai language: it really depends on what the OP expects.

Indeed, few of the phones sold in Europe or US will have the Thai language available in the settings for all phone menus to be in this language. Interestingly, the cheapest Chinese rebrands often have it more than brand phones.

However, all phones can display web pages and messages in Thai, and composing Thai text is easy too, just install a dedicated Thai keyboard. The (free) "Keyboard ManMan" found on the Play Store is very popular among Thai people.

$300 is 12000+ baht. You can but A LOT of different phones (3G/4G) here for under 12000 baht. Unless you are looking for an uber phone, which would run well over 12000 baht here, I would just take her shopping and let her buy what she wants.

Just browse through the smartphones on Lazada to get an idea of what is available and the pricing. Asus zenphones are good value IMO.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 on eBay while in California about two months ago. Went to Tucom in Pattaya upon arrival in Pattaya, inserted a new Sim card and got my old phone number back. Working like a champ ever since.

Most of the newer Verizon phones have dual radios and will work on CDMA and GSM... The phone must be SIM unlocked to use another carrier...

Any unlocked AT&T or TMobile phone will work as well..

If it uses a SIM card.... just put a Thai SIM card in it. When I landed in Thailand, I just swapped out my Canadian SIM card and went to a TRUE booth and they set me up with a True Move SIM card... and I was off to the races.. smile.png Re-fill at any of the many 7-11's there.... simple... cheap... easy... (I didn't need data.... I had Samsung Rugby II..... I didn't use it as a smart phone....just used it to call and receive calls..like a regular phone. So cheap to use )

Edited by Catoni

There are a couple of pitfalls with the iPhones.

I put a Thai SIM in mine.

Desperate to go to the market.

Asked Siri where the nearest BTS was...answer...No have.

Asked Siri where I can get a taxi.....Cannot.

Edited by Mudcrab

why bother, phones in Thailand are dirt cheep and come with minutes

Maybe your crappy phone, but the OP probably has something that doesn't suck.

Most decent phones these days are quad band LTE and work on both CDMA and GSM networks. If it's unlocked then it will work - otherwise it will have to be rooted, then it will work. So yes.

you have seen and used a low cost phone? no problems with the ones we get

Again, not always. Not all quad band world phones seem to work here on AIS or DTAC. No problem with True yet though.

Never had the slightest problem with either DTAC or AIS when using phone or 3G sticks coming from Europe.

Well, actually I did sometimes with DTAC, because they still use 850 Mhz in rural and semi-rural areas, which some of my equipment didn't support. Note that True does, too.

On the other hand AIS only uses 900 and 2100 Mhz.

I'm only speaking of 3G here. I don't use 4G yet. Maybe that's what you were referring to?

Edited by Lannig