German dead after head on smash with Pattaya tour bus

webfact

Very strange. I live almost opposite this accident, I heard it last night as I was working late, big crashing sound. First aiders on motorbikes arrived very quickly as did a policeman on motorbike, who then kept the traffic moving and kept the "phone cameras" at bay, the ambulance took about 15 minutes.

The strange bit is that although I could not see the full picture of the crash it was very obvious that someone was moaning very loudly in pain. Someone was also put into the back of the ambulance on stretcher with one leg bent at the knee upright and the person was not covered with a sheet?

I asked the security guys who were on duty what had happened, they told me motorbike accident but nobody had died?

So, unless there were 2 accidents with in a small window timeframe in the same part of the Theprassit Road it did not look like someone died instantly.

Bike clearly going too fast but I wonder why the witness saw him swerve? Could it be he pulled out in front of the bike without looking which seems to be pretty standard practice around here.

Doesn't really matter, its the bike rider who should be wary of such things. if you dont ride defensively and assume nobody can see you then you are asking for trouble in a country where traffic is far safer yet alone here in Thailand.

Despite what people generally believe it is possible to keep yourself relatively safe if you control your speed, go with the flow, ride defensively and for me the most crucial, always give yourself time, space and an exit.

I am never in too much of a rush to die.

Just1voice

Well done!

I rode my bike from Pattaya to Nong Khai then South through Malaysia to the Singapore border and back to North Thailand all in flip flops and shorts until i got cold.

I know the signals too!

I am not riding dressed like that, and although i respect your right too, wearing that does not prevent accidents, not ever!

crissables, you're right. My body armor doesn't prevent accidents. But what it does do is protect the hell out of me if I happen to have one. In my much younger days, I did a couple of years of racing - non professionally - and had more than a few spills. And you know what? The body armor you wear for racing kept me from broken bones and major patches of skin being ripped off. As for all the traveling you did in flip flops and shorts? I'll be polite and withhold my comments on that one.

The body armor is designed for track style accidents, sliding along with no sudden stop. Not impact with a car, truck or bus.

Be polite or not, i am just pointing out what i did with no problem at all. If a bus or truck is going to take me out, body armor won't stop it happening or in my opinion save my life. Prevent gravel rash, yes of course.

Some people can't leave home without doing a full risk assessment of potential problems, believing the insurance companies and government spiel. I am not one of those people.

Would it not be better you spent your time cataloging all the horrendous accidents that happen due to total inability of too many of the Thai road users who CAUSE problems, than wrapping yourself up in all your body armor to protect yourself.

Why they don't show a photo from the Everest? A good chance that the damage is on the left site of the Everest.

Maybe the german drive at normal speed on the left line, saw that the parking tourbus bl​ock the left line and want to move to the right line. But there the Everest come at highspeed, don't worry about flash light and hit the german.

It's easy to give the fault to a dead man.

RIP

Imagination at work here? good detail. perhaps you should call in as a witness.

just seen the CCTV and although dark and grainy ... doesn't look like the German did much wrong!!

Hard to make out but a cleaned up vid may prove troublesome for the Ford driver! Looks like he came up behind and ploughed into the German driving on the left admittedly the German may have swerved unseen and blocked from camera by the Everest's body.

Amazing how many times a video proves reporters or witnesses saw/heard things incorrectly

Just1voice

Well done!

I rode my bike from Pattaya to Nong Khai then South through Malaysia to the Singapore border and back to North Thailand all in flip flops and shorts until i got cold.

I know the signals too!

I am not riding dressed like that, and although i respect your right too, wearing that does not prevent accidents, not ever!

Flip Flops , shorts, Polo shirt, Ray-bans, crash helmut, rules thumbsup.gif

also a smile at the cars in the traffic. wai2.gif

Seems I missed something?

CCTV, where to watch?

My guess is Youlike on Facebook , where all the nasty CCTV videos from accidents and murders are posted .

My guess is Youlike on Facebook , where all the nasty CCTV videos from accidents and murders are posted .

Yep correct, currently on Youlike.

From the video it looks like it was a head on with the Everest and nothing to do with a bus/coach that seems stationary in the CCTV footage.

Just1voice

Well done!

I know the signals too!

crissables, you're right. My body armor doesn't prevent accidents. But what it does do is protect the hell out of me if I happen to have one. In my much younger days, I did a couple of years of racing - non professionally - and had more than a few spills. And you know what? The body armor you wear for racing kept me from broken bones and major patches of skin being ripped off. As for all the traveling you did in flip flops and shorts? I'll be polite and withhold my comments on that one.

The body armor is designed for track style accidents, sliding along with no sudden stop. Not impact with a car, truck or bus.

Be polite or not, i am just pointing out what i did with no problem at all. If a bus or truck is going to take me out, body armor won't stop it happening or in my opinion save my life. Prevent gravel rash, yes of course.

Some people can't leave home without doing a full risk assessment of potential problems, believing the insurance companies and government spiel. I am not one of those people.

Would it not be better you spent your time cataloging all the horrendous accidents that happen due to total inability of too many of the Thai road users who CAUSE problems, than wrapping yourself up in all your body armor to protect yourself.

Not true at all. impact armour is not just for track racing. Yes, if you get crushed between a car (or truck) and a wall no armour will help, but most motorcycle crashes result in the rider being thrown from the bike and hitting something, like a car windscreen, pavement etc. The impact armour greatly reduces the risk of breaking your bones from impact. Like your pelvis, collar bone, arms, legs or heaven forbid neck or back.

And of course it protects against road rash,, but dont underestimate this. If you fall over when walking the impact on your hands can be nasty, if you are sliding across a pavement for a period of time at high speed the road will carve you up no problem. 3rd degree road rash is no laughing matter and can be completely debilitating. Imagine you come off your bike without armour and you walk away with no road rash or you spend weeks in hospital and potentially have months of recovery and life long scaring,,,,

Suggest you do some reading before you form an opinion in future, there are thousands of examples of research out there so you can be properly informed.

Motorcycle and jetski repairman? That's some combo. Wonder what cctv will show

Anyone involved with jetski has to be honest and stellar reputation

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif You believe in Santa Clause too whistling.gif
That implies there isn't one! :) so sad now. I see a balcony in my future

Very strange. I live almost opposite this accident, I heard it last night as I was working late, big crashing sound. First aiders on motorbikes arrived very quickly as did a policeman on motorbike, who then kept the traffic moving and kept the "phone cameras" at bay, the ambulance took about 15 minutes.

The strange bit is that although I could not see the full picture of the crash it was very obvious that someone was moaning very loudly in pain. Someone was also put into the back of the ambulance on stretcher with one leg bent at the knee upright and the person was not covered with a sheet?

I asked the security guys who were on duty what had happened, they told me motorbike accident but nobody had died?

So, unless there were 2 accidents with in a small window timeframe in the same part of the Theprassit Road it did not look like someone died instantly.

If you were there, did you see the Everest or the bus? Pretty hard to miss those... unless your idea of a 'full picture' isn't the same as mine. Later posts indicate cctv that possibly shows the Everest rear-ending the bike while others reckon it was a head-on.

Theprassit's long enough so very possible you 'witnessed' another prang.

Edited by NanLaew