Exit Strategy from Thailand

laolover88

Lots of guys saying goes back to your country for a better education, however if you want to send your kids 2 a normal state school then I agree having said that there are many good schools in Thailand not just International

St Joseph's silom assumption to name a couple there are also state schools which far exceed some international schools of which the wealthy Thai people send their kids to.

Many are knocking the Thai education system but I have to disagree because many of my friends who were educated in state schools and went on to university and now are in good jobs or own their own companies.

As an example I know one guy who finished university in Thailand done his Master's in London and now he's working in Bangkok as an architect and earning six figures Plus

If we take the UK my city London as an example the education is good however disco children in London have little or no respect for anyone especially the parents most carry knives at the age of 13 plus they are in gangs dealing drugs not saying this does not happen in Thailand for anyone from the UK will agree the police are so soft the judicial system will not prosecute the whole system in the UK has gone to rack and ruin so not an easy decision to make whether to take your children to the UK or to stay in Thailand

"disco children"??

"most carry knives by the age of 13"???

What the hell are you talking about? What do you mean "most"? Stop talking crap

Oh and by the way, please let me know where you went to school.

If you learned grammar there, I want to make sure my kids don't go anywhere near it

proves that UK schools aren't a garantee for smart kids

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of guys saying goes back to your country for a better education, however if you want to send your kids 2 a normal state school then I agree having said that there are many good schools in Thailand not just International

St Joseph's silom assumption to name a couple there are also state schools which far exceed some international schools of which the wealthy Thai people send their kids to.

Many are knocking the Thai education system but I have to disagree because many of my friends who were educated in state schools and went on to university and now are in good jobs or own their own companies.

As an example I know one guy who finished university in Thailand done his Master's in London and now he's working in Bangkok as an architect and earning six figures Plus

If we take the UK my city London as an example the education is good however disco children in London have little or no respect for anyone especially the parents most carry knives at the age of 13 plus they are in gangs dealing drugs not saying this does not happen in Thailand for anyone from the UK will agree the police are so soft the judicial system will not prosecute the whole system in the UK has gone to rack and ruin so not an easy decision to make whether to take your children to the UK or to stay in Thailand

"disco children"??

"most carry knives by the age of 13"???

What the hell are you talking about? What do you mean "most"? Stop talking crap

Oh and by the way, please let me know where you went to school.

If you learned grammar there, I want to make sure my kids don't go anywhere near it

proves that UK schools aren't a garantee for smart kids

Garantee... the irony

It was posted using Google speech to text and I didn't read it before posting.

My fault

Lots of guys saying go back to your own country for a better education,

however if you want to send your kids 2 a normal state school in Thailand then I agree.

Having said that there are many good schools in Thailand not just International

St Joseph's silom, any of the assumption schools to name a couple, there are also state schools which far exceed some international schools of which the wealthy Thai people fight to send their kids to.

Loads of guys are knocking the Thai education system but I have to disagree because many of my friends who were educated in state schools and went on to university and now are in good jobs or own their own companies.

If we take the UK in my city London as an example the education system is good,

however lots of children in London and the UK have little or no respect for anyone especially their parents,

Loads carry knives at the age of 13 plus they are also in gangs dealing drugs

Only this week it was announced that knife crime amongst kids is at an all time high.

Not saying this does not happen in Thailand for anyone from the UK will agree the police are soft

the judicial system mostly don't prosecute, the whole system in the UK has gone to rack and ruin

so not an easy decision to make whether to take your children to the UK or to stay in Thailand

EDITED

I know a French guy whose children go to the French international school in Bangkok for free courtesy of the French government.

Maybe, but we can't all work in the French embassy... Or can we????

He most definitely does not work at the French embassy! Since his kids are French they are entitled to state educational benefits to pay the school fees at the French government funded school in Bangkok.

Well that sounds like nonsense. I know people who actually do work at the embassy, and pay for their kids to go to an international school. So either they're stupid or you're talking rubbish.

Could it be that they're sending their kids to an international school that is not covered by le gouvernement?

Perhaps their little cabbages are already French enough and don't need any extra Frenching. Perhaps they are using the opportunity of being in Bangkok to send the kids to an British / US / IB curriculum school so as to broaden them out a bit.

Makes sense to me.

Edited by Trembly

The problem with Spain is the taxes, if you buy a house or condo and stay over 6 month a year, you are considered a resident. The taxes are higher than in the UK.

I agree with the guys liking of Spain, but would not go there currently for tax reasons. I looked at Cyprus, which is quite favourable, but was put off when they confiscated money from people's bank accounts ... but if i have enough cash stashed away then Spain it will be.

Its not just about the tax. Farang who feel "unwanted" in Thailand are in for a rude shock in Spain !!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/921441-tourists-go-home-say-spanish-locals-in-backlash-to-holiday-boom/

International schools in Thailand are pretty good. Actually I would argue the quality of western education is declining more and more and personally I wouldn't put my children through the insanely anti-western curriculum they now have.

While this is an example of what happens on western university campuses these days, I'm pretty sure the same overall insanity has invaded all schools. It's a bit long but well worth watching:

As long as education emphasizes science, business, engineering etc. where students gain actual skills, not political indoctrination and other communist style subversion tactics, then I would call it a good education.

The problem with Spain is the taxes, if you buy a house or condo and stay over 6 month a year, you are considered a resident. The taxes are higher than in the UK.

I agree with the guys liking of Spain, but would not go there currently for tax reasons. I looked at Cyprus, which is quite favourable, but was put off when they confiscated money from people's bank accounts ... but if i have enough cash stashed away then Spain it will be.

Its not just about the tax. Farang who feel "unwanted" in Thailand are in for a rude shock in Spain !!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/921441-tourists-go-home-say-spanish-locals-in-backlash-to-holiday-boom/

Farang are not unwanted in Thailand. Not really wanted here either per se, but as long as they keep to themselves and respect the locals, there's usually no problems. Don't expect them to accommodate your values and belief systems though. Thais are a proud nation and they come first. Once you understand that and try to integrate, you'll be respected.

I'm not surprised that white westerners are increasingly unwanted in Spain or the rest of western Europe for that matter. Still, that graffiti is just the tip of insanity. Do they really think so-called refugees will be better for them than tourists? Whoever wrote that crap is delusional.

We keep assets in both countries, although we sent the kids back to Oz to finish school, expect they will entrench there.

No such thing as safe. Thailand could get ugly, there again what if the EU finally gets the war with Russia the US seems to want? Or Oz sucked into a US war with China? That would hardly make them safe places.

Impossible to predict the future, even the experts are usually wrong. So we have a foot in two countries, that way at least have some options.

Like the survivalist I saw on TV, he'd been at it for 40 years pouring all his money into a shelter & waiting for nuclear war! Most would see him wasting his life, he was still waiting (hoping?) for the bomb to drop though.

Maybe, but we can't all work in the French embassy... Or can we????
He most definitely does not work at the French embassy! Since his kids are French they are entitled to state educational benefits to pay the school fees at the French government funded school in Bangkok.
Well that sounds like nonsense. I know people who actually do work at the embassy, and pay for their kids to go to an international school. So either they're stupid or you're talking rubbish.
No, French government is really paying for French international school education. I know a few people also getting their kids education for almost free.

It was not my intention to be taken literally and start this side discussion. On a more literal level, I'd bet I could count on one hand the percentage of foreigners living in Thailand whose kids qualify for a free international school education. For the math impaired, that means I'm thinking less than 5%.

The other 95% would have to come out of pocket with a ridiculous tuition, have their kids educated back home, or resign themselves to having kids that are educated to a very poor standard. (On an aside, I know people who did all 3- paid outrageous tuition back home, only to have their kids end up to be dunces anyway).

Edited by impulse

A positive yet gently spoken luk khrueng child with manners and respect for authority and their elders is what the west can not offer.

If your an imbecile without the necessary brains to give your kids a rosy future here when they leave school/uni then yes they will be earning 15k a month. Whereas business minded people here who for example own land and commercial property will pass all or part of that on to their kids and teach them how to make money with it.

A good standard of schooling with a mixture of good business sense and the kid(s) will have a very happy and rosy future here indeed.

A positive yet gently spoken luk khrueng child with manners and respect for authority and their elders is what the west can not offer.

If your an imbecile without the necessary brains to give your kids a rosy future here when they leave school/uni then yes they will be earning 15k a month. Whereas business minded people here who for example own land and commercial property will pass all or part of that on to their kids and teach them how to make money with it.

A good standard of schooling with a mixture of good business sense and the kid(s) will have a very happy and rosy future here indeed.

Yeah because Thai society produces so many well-mannered kids with respect for authority and their elders, doesn't it?

I can't begin to imagine where all the feral youths screaming around on scooters at silly o'clock high on ice come from.

The West most certainly can offer those things as well as an upbringing in an environment where the rule of law calls the shots, rather than the local thug and his bent cop pals.

The West can also give you an opportunity to get by on your merits rather than waiting for an inheritance of a rai of swampland and a few pigs

Yeah because Thai society produces so many well-mannered kids with respect for authority and their elders, doesn't it?

I can't begin to imagine where all the feral youths screaming around on scooters at silly o'clock high on ice come from.

The West most certainly can offer those things as well as an upbringing in an environment where the rule of law calls the shots, rather than the local thug and his bent cop pals.

The West can also give you an opportunity to get by on your merits rather than waiting for an inheritance of a rai of swampland and a few pigs

why are there so many low lifes in your country then?

There are low lifes in every country, Sherlock

exactly, so why are you slagging off the Thais?

Perhaps it's the lax immigration rules.

Perhaps it's the lax immigration rules.

sure, all the locals are superior

I wasn't, Sherlock

I was slagging off MrTellyoustraight's foolish notion that a half white kid raised in Thailand has a better chance of coming out softly-spoken with respect for authority and his/her elders than he/she would in the West

I wasn't, Sherlock

I was slagging off MrTellyoustraight's foolish notion that a half white kid raised in Thailand has a better chance of coming out softly-spoken with respect for authority and his/her elders than he/she would in the West

Don't sweat it. This guy Frits is not particularly bright.

I wasn't, Sherlock

look who is talking, mr. racist Edited by FritsSikkink

I wasn't, Sherlock

That has slowly dawned on me over the course of a few threads thumbsup.gif

If ones life has amounted to just 1 rai of marshland and some pigs one can see why the west would seem like a better option when one has failed miserably here. A hearty sitting of Jeremy Kyle week mornings whilst the kids are at the local school of excellence in chav culture and general juvenile delinquency, one could sit back on a DFS sofa and wonder "where it all went wrong".