Should I change teaching jobs? Time for a change...

My situation is that I'm in the early stages of my teaching career and currently undertaking an MA in Education.

I work at a Thai government university on the standard 28k a month. I'm ok with the low salary as I have income from back home. This job has been good for me because doing 'Action Research' at work is a requirement of my contract and it enables me to complete my Masters.

I've been in the job for 2 yrs now and they want to renew my contract again. i'm in the comfort zone and find the job easy with only 15 hours teaching time per week plus extra tuition with the 4th year research students that have been assigned to me. The daily classes that I teach are tedious but I assume this compares with any teaching job in the LOS.

My team members are ok in general but I do feel isolated from them at times. I did have one team member give me a hard time when first starting working in the job. After 3 months I raised the problem with the person and our boss and it mostly resolved the issue forcing the person to completely modify his behaviour. There is still a bit of tension between me and this person sometimes which is annoying but bearable.

I've never taught at a Thai school before and was thinking maybe its a time for change. There are several big high schools in town running EP programs. One of them has 15 farang teachers and pays 35k a month. I envisage this will be a lot more stress and I'm unsure what it will be like to work with so many farang personalities. Also, I reflect on whether or not I have the skills to match the existing teachers in these higher paying competitive jobs.

Next year the wife and I want to move to an area where there are mid level International schools. Once I have finished my Masters I might want to try and work at one of them. Thus, it would be good to get some experience now teaching Thai teenagers in an EP role.

If I can't find a job in an EP class I assume I would have to resort to a job at a government school where there is no air con and the salary range is the normal 28k to 30k a month. I wonder if this would be the better option for me whilst I'm still 'evolving' as a teacher.

I can't decide what to do. Should I leave my comfort zone job? I speculate that if I did resign a lot of people from my team would be happy. I think that they respect me as a teacher but maybe they don't like me as a farang in general.

If you are currently in a teaching job with Thai teenagers whats it like? How many hours a week do you teach? Air con or fan?

cheers

Just a thought:

There is a possibility that Thai students have never been exposed to a teacher who cannot directly translate into Thai for them. I believe most English lessons are given in Thai, so I don't think it's disliking this or that farang, it's just so much harder for the students.

Private English schools around Asia often insist that L1 (local language) is not used at all in the classroom, and 98% are Native English Speakers anyway.

BTW: 4th year research students that have been assigned to me.

​people are normally referred to as "Who", but possibly it depends on which English you are using.

Just a thought:

There is a possibility that Thai students have never been exposed to a teacher who cannot directly translate into Thai for them. I believe most English lessons are given in Thai, so I don't think it's disliking this or that farang, it's just so much harder for the students.

Private English schools around Asia often insist that L1 (local language) is not used at all in the classroom, and 98% are Native English Speakers anyway.

​people are normally referred to as "Who", but possibly it depends on which English you are using.

It must be your English which, can't be very good since you completely missed the point and the question he was wanting an answer to....

My advice would be to stick with the school you are in. Another year will go quickly and then you will have completed your MA. With your MA you should be able to find a decent paying job at an international school or even at a school like Assumption, Bangkok U, or Baptist in Bkk. Why move now when you still have work to do on your degree? If you do change jobs, think about all of the extra work you will need to focus on that comes as second nature to you now. You don't need that kind of stress yet.

A new school with new problems isn't going to make your life better. As for the gf! She can wait for you and if not, find another. Every school you work for will have small problems such as you described. It's up to you to sort it out and find your comfort zone there. You have that already where you are.

Unless your MA in education allows you to work in a school in the US/UK, work at an international school here will be difficult to get, especially top tier schools. However, work in an EP will be easier to get. Salaries can be good (generally 40-60K, maybe a bit more), especially in BKK.

The danger in staying in your comfort zone too long is that you can fall into a rut and stagnate. You career will not progress. I'd give the EP a go and you can always go back to university teaching later. Depending on the EP, the workload can be very demanding. While class sizes are OK, you may have anything from 15-25 periods a week. Daily lesson plans may also be required. Then there are the teaching requirements. Your MA MAY qualify you for the Thai teaching licence, but I'm not sure of that. If not, you get a provisional licence. Those teaching licences are just for schools and not for working in a university.

<snip> My team members are ok in general but I do feel isolated from them at times. I did have one team member give me a hard time when first starting working in the job. After 3 months I raised the problem with the person and our boss and it mostly resolved the issue forcing the person to completely modify his behaviour. There is still a bit of tension between me and this person sometimes which is annoying but bearable. <snip end)

With other words you didn't even try to solve a problem with one of your colleagues and ran to your boss? How did you "raise" the problem with this person?

Do you really think that anybody on this forum believes your story that the "person was forced to "completely modify" his behavior? You can modify a car, bike, or anything similar but not a person.

"There's still "a bit of tension" between you and the person sometimes which is annoying but bearable? You've done something that's very strange, maybe also unfair, not just at a Thai school.

<snip> I can't decide what to do. Should I leave my comfort zone job? I speculate that if I did resign a lot of people from my team would be happy. I think that they respect me as a teacher but maybe they don't like me as a farang in general. <snip>

Reading between the lines gives a completely different picture of your personality.

How can you even ask such a question on an open forum if you should leave your " comfort zone job"?

It seems that not just a lot of people, I assume that all of them will be more than happy once you're gone and a big party will finalize it.

They don't like you because you've done something that made you look like a very unprofessional and selfish human being.

I wouldn't like to work with a guy who's trying to solve personal issues by running to the boss.

And Thais hate that as well. Good luck finding a suitable position without being too "isolated."- wai2.gif

Harsh but true, lostinisaan.

Strange how clueless the OP is about Thai high school jobs. Seems the real motivation here is the OP's issues dealing with colleagues, growing discomfort in his claimed comfort zone. It's like an English teacher's equivalent of Is She A Bargirl, where really the topic is about denial.

Previous replies give the good practical advice the OP would know already if he were serious. As to what the topic is truly about, he needs to work on his interpersonal skills and possibly also consider working where he can be more independent and not have to rub shoulders too closely with anyone he doesn't want to. Unfortunately Thailand isn't visa-friendly for independent teachers.

<snip> My team members are ok in general but I do feel isolated from them at times. I did have one team member give me a hard time when first starting working in the job. After 3 months I raised the problem with the person and our boss and it mostly resolved the issue forcing the person to completely modify his behaviour. There is still a bit of tension between me and this person sometimes which is annoying but bearable. <snip end)

With other words you didn't even try to solve a problem with one of your colleagues and ran to your boss? How did you "raise" the problem with this person?

Do you really think that anybody on this forum believes your story that the "person was forced to "completely modify" his behavior? You can modify a car, bike, or anything similar but not a person.

"There's still "a bit of tension" between you and the person sometimes which is annoying but bearable? You've done something that's very strange, maybe also unfair, not just at a Thai school.

<snip> I can't decide what to do. Should I leave my comfort zone job? I speculate that if I did resign a lot of people from my team would be happy. I think that they respect me as a teacher but maybe they don't like me as a farang in general. <snip>

Reading between the lines gives a completely different picture of your personality.

How can you even ask such a question on an open forum if you should leave your " comfort zone job"?

It seems that not just a lot of people, I assume that all of them will be more than happy once you're gone and a big party will finalize it.

They don't like you because you've done something that made you look like a very unprofessional and selfish human being.

I wouldn't like to work with a guy who's trying to solve personal issues by running to the boss.

And Thais hate that as well. Good luck finding a suitable position without being too "isolated."- wai2.gif

Please stop posting incorrect stuff - makes you look daft.

http://www.edpsycinteractive.org/topics/behavior/behmod.html

OP

I taught in Thai high schools.

The first hing top remember is that you ae going to be dealing with many studetns that aer EP because daddy has the money. Not because they want to be there.

For the sake of one yer I woudl

stay where I was

finish my degree

go north to a mid level school

OP

I taught in Thai high schools.

The first hing top remember is that you ae going to be dealing with many studetns that aer EP because daddy has the money. Not because they want to be there.

For the sake of one yer I woudl

stay where I was

finish my degree

go north to a mid level school

Can one ask what you taught in those Thai high schools?

When i was teaching at a private school,i was told that the lesson was to be given in English In fact the head preferred it that the English teachers did not speak Thai.The lesson was English,that was what they were there to learn.

It was the same as when i was in school in the UK.Our French master(who was British) insisted that we attempted to converse in French form the minute he entered the room.

However,having said that,we were told that if a student was having difficulty with a certain word or expression,we were allowed to revert to 'mother tongue' to help the student along the way.

The Thai that i spoke was helpful to me because i could understand when the kids were being rude or amusing themselves at my expense.They were quite surprised when i actually told them that i could understand what they were saying.That got a lot of respect.But i never let on how much i knew.

Discuss the topic NOT the poster.

Posts have been removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Just a thought:

Using 'that' in a defining relative clause is fine. To me, it sounds more formal.

Just hope I never annoy you. That's a very comprehensive character reading based on a few scraps of information.