Foreigner hit by bus in motorbike crash in Phuket’s popular Muay Thai street

rooster59

Foreigner hit by bus in motorbike crash in Phuket’s popular Muay Thai street

Darawan Naknakhon

post-247607-0-19928800-1462030420_thumb.

The man, believed to be Russian, reportedly struck a car and then fell into the path of an onciming bus. Photo: Ruamjai Rescue Foundation

PHUKET: A foreign man is in hospital after reportedly crashing his motorbike into the back of a car, then falling onto the road into the path of an oncoming bus in Soi Ta-iad, the popular Muay Thai training hub, this morning (Apr 30).

“The man is in critical condition,” said Chalong Police Lt Col Jamroon Phlaiduong.
“We were told he is suffering from a head injury. We have no information on the victim, he was taken to Vachira Hospital by rescue workers before we arrived.”
The bus driver was told to drop off tourists at their destination in the street and present himself at Chalong Police Station.
“We are also questioning the driver of another vehicle involved in the accident,” Col Jamroon said.
tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-04-30

Those huge buses have no place on that tiny suburban soi. Im surprised that more tourists dont get squashed. There is no footpaths, with people jogging up and down the street dodging the huge busses. I reckon you would at least have 50 plus motoring through there daily.

Those huge buses have no place on that tiny suburban soi. Im surprised that more tourists dont get squashed. There is no footpaths, with people jogging up and down the street dodging the huge busses. I reckon you would at least have 50 plus motoring through there daily.

Point taken regarding the size of the vehicle on the road, but the guy crashed into the back of a vehicle which then propelled him into the path of the bus.

Maybe inexperienced rider?

Point taken regarding the size of the vehicle on the road, but the guy crashed into the back of a vehicle which then propelled him into the path of the bus.

Maybe his first time riding a bike. It looks like a 150 cc and the two handbrakes make it difficult for an inexperienced driver...

Let's hope that he'll have a fully recovery. Even if the bike had insurance, they only cover 12 K, the rest has to come from an insurance.

I hope the poor bloke has one. The headline isn't cool at all and gives Thai bus drivers a bad image. "Hit by bus"? The guy hit the bus after hitting another car.

Edited by lostinisaan

The bus driver was told to drop off tourists at their destination in the street and present himself at Chalong Police Station.

Nevermind the dead person. Isnt that leaving the scene of an accident. Statements are best taken on the spot.

wow where does it say he died ????

guess you need more coffee

More TV pure speculation:

Perhaps the car stopped suddenly? It's not like there would have been anywhere for the rider to go other than head on into the bus.

I'm constantly amazed by drivers, even on the highway, who hit the brakes hard even when there is clearly enough room for them. I still get caught on that one as the time for cautionary slowing is well past so the timing looks random.

The effect is that a string of vehicles suddenly have to do an emergency stop just when large vehicle is taking up the other side of the road...

Perhaps the car stopped suddenly? It's not like there would have been anywhere for the rider to go other than head on into the bus.

I'm constantly amazed by drivers, even on the highway, who hit the brakes hard even when there is clearly enough room for them. I still get caught on that one as the time for cautionary slowing is well past so the timing looks random.

The effect is that a string of vehicles suddenly have to do an emergency stop just when large vehicle is taking up the other side of the road...

Perhaps it did, but when you're on a bike your vision and reactions need to be better than in a car.

Anticipation is key, did the rider not see the bus (which was taking a lot of road) coming? How close to the "suddenly stopping" car was he? Why was he not to the left as opposed to ending up on the right?

My only point is that in the headline it says "Foreigner hit by bus", but upon reading the story foreigner hit a car and ended up in front of the bus. Maybe they should have written it as "Foreigner Clips Car and Careens Into Oncoming Bus". Or something like that anyway. thumbsup.gif

We don't know for sure what the circumstances actually were but it appears from the post he was probably driving too close to the vehicle in front to stop and it suggests he wasn't wearing or had not secured a helmet.

Agree, inexperienced rider, they speed all day long thru that soi, many not wearing helmets.. Also many of them warn each other via fb about roadblocks police set up to catch helmet less riders..

Agreed about braking distance and personal protection, though even I'm guilty of not wearing leathers in the village. (I do wear my helmet though much to Thai amusement)

Few riders really leave enough distance given how quickly a car can stop. I think the riders assume that they will see the reason for an emergency stop (usually true in the west) which would take their reaction time out of the equation (they start reacting at the same time as the car). But when it seems to be a random stop...

I'm guessing riders new to scooters have no idea how poor the brakes can be as well, and who really does a test emergency stop before going far on a different bike?

Probably all tourists should be forced to do a Thai riding course before being let loose. But then there should be proper training for Thai's as well and that doesn't happen....

Nevermind the dead person. Isnt that leaving the scene of an accident. Statements are best taken on the spot.

wow where does it say he died ????

guess you need more coffee

Maybe he/she was just "retell"ing the tale.

You say "more TV pure speculation" and then you go to speculate.

Anyway, I am in agreement with you that people use their breaks very aggressively here. There is no such thing as a gradual slow down at all. Also, people tail gate like it's a hobby, terrible driving.

I often see a "mexican wave" of red lights when I have vision far enough ahead where people drive right up to the bumper and then break (even at speed) causing congestion and lots of rear ended vehicles.

The only way to be "relatively" safe is behave like everyone else is an idiot and they will pull out in front of you, they will undertake at high speed when you are indicating left, they will drive right up your backside, they will cut you up, they wont use their indicators when changing lanes, they will try to undertake and squeeze into the gap in front of you if you are "stupid" enough to leave sensible driving distance and overall no one has the faintest idea what driver courtesy means.

I hope this poor gentleman recovers from his injuries. Nobody wants to go out that way.

Be safe,,,

Stupid post. The fact is that buses should NOT be allowed to use that small soi. It's bad enough with regular traffic. Duh.

There are more buses racing around in Phuket town now than eversad.png , and if I recall correctly one of the reasons to move the bus station out on Thepkasatri was to avoid buses in townhuh.png .

Edited by Felt 35

I thought the first to one to bite the dust would be one of the pedestrians treating soi Tai Aed like a walking street. And yes its a bad idea to have buses and cement trucks and the like driving through there, often quite fast as well.

You say "more TV pure speculation" and then you go to speculate.

<snip>

Correct. I was labelling my own post as being worth exactly what you paid for it, not attacking someone else.

Another example of how poor written communication is compared to speaking in person. And don't even get me started about text messages...

The full report stated that the rider was not wearing a helmet nor did he have passenger. The rider paid insufficient attention to the vehicle in front. No matter what you say about vehicles suddenly stopping, big buses in small roads; if you are the back "marker" it is your responsibility to keep clear, giving yourself sufficient room to stop - or avoid contact with the vehicle in front.

Stupid post. The fact is that buses should NOT be allowed to use that small soi. It's bad enough with regular traffic. Duh.

"Stupid post" is the guy who thinks something "should" be regulated and would be enforced. TIT pal. Duh.