Obama out: President closes out his run as comedian-in-chief

webfact

Obama out: President closes out his run as comedian-in-chief
By DOUGLASS K. DANIEL

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama performed his brand of sharp-tongued comedy at the White House Correspondents' Dinner for the last time — wrapping up with "Obama out" and dropping the mic while the crowd cheered.

Obama's performance Saturday night proved he hasn't lost a step.

"If this material works well, I'm going to use it at Goldman Sachs next year," Obama quipped. "Earn me some serious Tubmans."

Obama drew plenty of laughs with his barbed remarks to a ballroom filled with journalists, politicians, and movie and television stars. It was his eighth appearance at the event and his last as president and he kidded about the pains of being a lame duck.

"Last week Prince George showed up to our meeting in his bathrobe," Obama cracked. "That was a slap in the face."

The president waxed nostalgic at times. "Eight years ago I said it was time to change the tone of our politics. In hindsight, I clearly should have been more specific."

And he acknowledged that the years had taken their toll. "I'm gray, grizzled ... counting down the days to my death panel."

On the other hand, he pointed out that his approval ratings are up. "The last time I was this high," he said, "I was trying to decide on my major." When he said he couldn't explain the rise in his popularity, two photographs of scowling presidential candidates appeared on ballroom screens: Donald Trump and Ted Cruz.

Obama took a few more swipes at the presidential race, noting that "next year at this time someone else will be standing here in this very spot, and it's anyone's guess who she will be."

After calling presidential candidate Bernie Sanders the bright new face of the Democratic Party, Obama contrasted the slogan "Feel the Bern" with one he said was rival Hillary Clinton's: "Trudge Up the Hill."

Republicans took most of Obama's humorous broadsides. "Guests were asked to check whether they wanted steak or fish," he told the diners, "and instead a whole bunch of you wrote in Paul Ryan."

Obama said of the billionaire businessman and real estate mogul leading the GOP race: "He has spent years meeting with leaders from around the world — Miss Sweden, Miss Argentina, Miss Azerbaijan."

He added: "And there's one area where Donald's experience could be invaluable, and that's closing Guantanamo — because Trump knows a thing or two about running waterfront properties into the ground."

Turning serious, the president thanked the White House press corps and praised a free press.

Obama took a few hits, too. Preceding his remarks was a tongue-in-cheek video tribute to his seven-plus years in office that contained highlights of his verbal gaffes — his reference to "57 states" and misspelling 'rspect" among them — as well as light-hearted moments.

Comedian Larry Wilmore, the evening's professional entertainment, began by saying, "It's not easy to follow the president." Then he proved his point, offering a series of jokes about the president, different media organizations and various presidential candidates that often were racially tinged and drew a mixture of laughter and groans.

"Welcome to Negro night," Wilmore said, and added that Fox News had reported that "two thugs" disrupted an elegant dinner, also mixing in critiques of CNN's viewership and MSNBC's firing of black anchors.

Wilmore said the president is showing signs that his time in office has been hard on him. "You came in here looking like Denzel, now you're going out looking like Grady from 'Sanford and Son.'"

As usual the Washington Hilton ballroom was a celebrity-spotters dream. Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders joined Vice President Joe Biden, Secretary of State John Kerry and other government officials taking a seat. Also on hand were Republican Party Chairman Reince Priebus, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Trump, a regular in recent years, was absent this time, but a son and daughter-in-law, Donald Jr. and Vanessa Trump, were spotted on the red carpet.

Among the film and television performers at the event were Oscar winners Helen Mirren and Jared Leto, "Breaking Bad" actor Bryan Cranston, "Independence Day" stars Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum, actress Rachel McAdams, and "Night Manager" miniseries star Tom Hiddleston.

Proceeds from the dinner go toward journalism scholarships and reporting awards. This year's winners:

— Carol Lee of the Wall Street Journal, winner of the Aldo Beckman Memorial Award for excellence in White House coverage.

— Matt Viser of the Boston Globe, winner of the Merriman Smith Award for outstanding White House coverage under deadline pressure.

— Norah O'Donnell of CBS News, winner of the Merriman Smith Award for broadcast journalism.

— Terrence McCoy of The Washington Post and Neela Banerjee, John Cushman Jr., David Hasemyer and Lisa Song of InsideClimate, winners of the Edgar A. Poe award, which recognizes excellence in coverage of events or investigative topics of regional or national interest.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-05-02

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read that Obama hated this annual ritual. I love that Larry Wilmore was the MC. He can talk straight about race where even Colbert can't (if you don't know what I'm talking about you probably don't watch American TV, which is definitely a good thing). This is another example of an observation by the columnist Charles P. Pierce (must read), "The President's big box of fcks to give is completely empty."

hey Obama, the most powerful man in the world as they say, you still have half a year to clean up the mess in Syria.

If you don't you are a total failure and a total disappointment to the world.

Forget TTIP, that would be another disappointment.

Edited by wabothai

hey Obama, the most powerful man in the world as they say, you still have half a year to clean up the mess in Syria.

What a sourpuss! He showed great humour here. Is that a crime?

This isn't getting a lot of play in the main stream media.

It's around the 1.00 mark.

He also called him "Barry", as in Barry Soetoro. But who cares if the POTUS changed his name when he wasn't the POTUS? Means absolutely nothing, doesn't it. dry.png

After the "Comedian-in-chief" leaves the office...the US will begin to rebuild it's foreign alliances damaged thru a comic foreign policy...it will rebuild it's military...decimated by a comic worldview...it will begin to restore the checks and balances which have historically sustained democracy in the US...as opposed to laughing at Congress while using executive orders...signing into law provisions which would never pass the people's Congress...after the comedian leaves office...the rule of law will be restored and people who use their political positions to rape the treasury will be going to jail instead of encourage to take more...

Yes Mr. President...the people of the US will have the last laugh...your historic comic Presidency is secure...

He also called him "Barry", as in Barry Soetoro. But who cares if the POTUS changed his name when he wasn't the POTUS? Means absolutely nothing, doesn't it. dry.png

For those of you who might not get the Barry Soetoro reference, here's a link to snopes.com http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/birthers/studentid.asp

In a few years time you're all going to realise you'll miss him. He was the best president the US has had in quite a few decades, and the present crop looks only half his quality.

"President closes out his run as comedian-in-chief"

This is the most apropos news byline I have read in ages. Few jesters, clowns, dunces, or troubadours have been as entertaining or ridiculously suited as Obama.

His comedic run would have garnered far more applause were it not for the many dead, droned, impoverished, alienated, isolated, and balkanized among us.

May you never take to any stage again, Barry.

Americans can be very proud of President Obama. He has been a strong and charismatic leader throughout the World and has led the way on many crucial and complex issues. Greatly respected around the World and has been a valuable ambassador for the true American spirit. As the video shows a keen sense of humour with the skills to deliver a funny line. As his appointment comes to an end I hope he has more time to spend and enjoy his beautiful family. Well deserved and no doubt will go down in history as a very respected US President.

Why on Earth does Obama have to clean up the mess in Syria? He didn't create the mess. Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

The keyboard warriors the world over momentary breathed a sigh of relief that everything they stood against - an intelligent popular person of colour - was stepping down in a few short months as their President..only then to realise that he is being replaced by an intelligent female who is running with his legacy.

So don't worry fellas, you can replace your latent racism with your misogyny next January and you'll barely have to miss a beat. The vitriol can still flow.

She'll be delivering the address at next years dinner, mainly at your expense.

And for the record, Barry killed it the other night. An absolute slam dunk.

Edited by samran

Newsflash, old dude doesn't understand that taking the language of your former oppressors can be a form of empowerment...

And in news at 10, old dude finds out president gives exactly zero farks for his yearning for how things used to be...

Edited by samran

This is the most apropos news byline I have read in ages. Few jesters, clowns, dunces, or troubadours have been as entertaining or ridiculously suited as Obama.

His comedic run would have garnered far more applause were it not for the many dead, droned, impoverished, alienated, isolated, and balkanized among us.

What, a balkanised US doesn't suit you now the shoe is on the other foot?

Crocodile tears.

Americans can be very proud of President Obama. He has been a strong and charismatic leader throughout the World and has led the way on many crucial and complex issues. Greatly respected around the World and has been a valuable ambassador for the true American spirit. As the video shows a keen sense of humour with the skills to deliver a funny line. As his appointment comes to an end I hope he has more time to spend and enjoy his beautiful family. Well deserved and no doubt will go down in history as a very respected US President.

What hallucinogenic drugs are you on ?

What, a balkanised US doesn't suit you now the shoe is on the other foot?

Crocodile tears.

Benefit of the doubt:

"...the other foot" is a shoe I never wore. What does this mean? You took the time to write it; please explain as you would to a child. I really did not get this.

He has good comedic timing and very good writers.

Agreed! If I put all other things aside, he was funny as hell.

"other things"? What, like a messed up world and lots of dead people?

He has good comedic timing and very good writers.

Agreed! If I put all other things aside, he was funny as hell.
"other things"? What, like a messed up world and lots of dead people?

Yes. Its hard to accommodate his humor when there is really no good news... anywhere. I watched his speech and left my baggage behind. I laughed. He has a very personable, disarming manner about him. No doubt. On more than one occasion I mused how fun it would be to shoot the breeze with a guy like this, and just have fun.

But this quality is what makes his record all the more troubling. It is this quality that enabled the cult of personality that insulated him from his policies for x years. Obama's 'punch lines' will be percolating for many years to come. His humor has insinuated into every aspect of the American polity and social space.

Obama is the quintessential Menaechmi: a comedian and hero to many, and a tragedy and Comedy of Errors to others history.

What hallucinogenic drugs are you on ?

One might ask the same question of you.

Edited by kamahele