When will I ever adjust to the climate?

slow down

lose weight

drink less/no alcohol

drink water to stay hydrated

wear loose fitting natural fiber clothes

as for feeling comfortable in the climate my thai friends who have lived with the climate all their lives complain about it more and are obsessed with ac far more than i am

And never shower using hot water.

Push yourself to ignore the chill of cold water, slide your self under the cold water, start with your hand then full arm them more etc., it's not difficult.

And make sure you remove all soap / bodywash residue.

Or adjust the water heater to the absolute lowest possible heat setting, get under the shower and instantly turn the heat off.

Never hot water

This does help lots of folks with sweating.

Edited by scorecard

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are outside temperatures, not in anyway controlled. These small devices show absolute humidity, total moisture in the air. The one at the office (second picture) is calibrated annually.

I believe what you are thinking of is relative humidity (where your percentages would make sense) which is the difference between saturation and dewpoint at a given temperature.

I use an instrument at work which calculates all the above values but they don;t come cheap, hence the cheaper devices showing only humidity (absolute) instead of relative.

Plays a big part in welding and painting, more so on the coating front.......................wink.png

The pictures you posted seem to show relative humidity as the are showing a percentage.

I'm not trying to prove you wrong just trying to understand how you have "accurate" readings of what seem to be relative humidity that are so much lower than anything I've ever seen in Thailand.

FWIW the averages for Bangkok do not drop under 50% according to the records I've seen

I do have both relative humidity meters, as most dual temperature humidity metres are, and an absolute humidity meter that I use in wood work.

I've never seen a mass market absolute humidity meter and would not see it as of much general use.

slow down

lose weight

drink less/no alcohol

drink water to stay hydrated

wear loose fitting natural fiber clothes

as for feeling comfortable in the climate my thai friends who have lived with the climate all their lives complain about it more and are obsessed with ac far more than i am

And never shower using hot water.

Push yourself to ignore the chill of cold water, slide your self under the cold water, start with your hand then full arm them more etc., it's not difficult.

And make sure you remove all soap / bodywash residue.

Or adjust the water heater to the absolute lowest possible heat setting, get under the shower and instantly turn the heat off.

Never hot water

This does help lots of folks with sweating.

Where are you finding cold water now!!!??? LOL. I have taken many "baths out of the barrel" on nippy Issan mornings. Very invigorating!!! 555

There's only so much 'adjustment' that we can make when moving to a new climate zone. To really adapt we need to evolve over many generations - so the best way is to have lots of sex to ensure that your genes are passed on.

Hybrids may adapt better - so having lots of sex with lots of locals is the best strategy.

This may explain the social behaviors of some of the forum members?

I am American as well, and I am really struggling even inside with the AC on full blast. How do you keep, when in a computer chair, your lower back from becoming a dutch oven? I could literally cook eggs if I held them in place. I am unable to get comfortable while sleeping even if AC is on 18 as well, it just escapes before it cools the room down.

your house/condo is badly insulated.

I sit in the shade for hours on end, no matter how hot it is, only sunblock is on my face, and ears and under my arms...........after a couple weeks, you don;t sweat as much, but you still sweat.............I also don't drown myself with water, I drink a glasses three times a day and thats it. Took me three years to train my body not to sweat like a pig - three glasses of water a day at the same time everyday. Sleep at the same time everynight, wake up same time every morning..................take naps anytime (haha)wai2.gif

These are outside temperatures, not in anyway controlled. These small devices show absolute humidity, total moisture in the air. The one at the office (second picture) is calibrated annually.

I believe what you are thinking of is relative humidity (where your percentages would make sense) which is the difference between saturation and dewpoint at a given temperature.

I use an instrument at work which calculates all the above values but they don;t come cheap, hence the cheaper devices showing only humidity (absolute) instead of relative.

Plays a big part in welding and painting, more so on the coating front.......................wink.png

The pictures you posted seem to show relative humidity as the are showing a percentage.

I'm not trying to prove you wrong just trying to understand how you have "accurate" readings of what seem to be relative humidity that are so much lower than anything I've ever seen in Thailand.

FWIW the averages for Bangkok do not drop under 50% according to the records I've seen

I do have both relative humidity meters, as most dual temperature humidity metres are, and an absolute humidity meter that I use in wood work.

I've never seen a mass market absolute humidity meter and would not see it as of much general use.

Hi sometimewoodworker,
You were absolutely correct that the readings shown on the small devices is indeed RH and not as I stated, absolute. I appear to have been using my red indian callsign 'Big Chief Talking Boll**ks' throughout this thread.
After reading your above reply, I thought I had better look this issue up. (It was a quick lookup and I lowered myself to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygrometer ) What I found was the readings shown on these small stations (under Modern Hygrometers) is probably from the Capacitive method which reads:
Capacitive
For applications where cost, space, or fragility are relevant, other types of electronic sensors are used, at the price of a lower accuracy. In capacitive hygrometers, the effect of humidity on the dielectric constant of a polymer or metal oxide material is measured. With calibration, these sensors have an accuracy of ±2% RH in the range 5-95% RH. Without calibration, the accuracy is 2 to 3 times worse. Capacitive sensors are robust against effects such as condensation and temporary high temperatures. Capacitive sensors are subject to contamination, drift and aging effects, but are suitable for many applications.
So, my apologies to yourself and anyone else reading my script for the misinformation presented by me..........................wink.png

Hi sometimewoodworker,
You were absolutely correct that the readings shown on the small devices is indeed RH and not as I stated, absolute. I appear to have been using my red indian callsign 'Big Chief Talking Boll**ks' throughout this thread.
After reading your above reply, I thought I had better look this issue up. (It was a quick lookup and I lowered myself to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygrometer ) What I found was the readings shown on these small stations (under Modern Hygrometers) is probably from the Capacitive method which reads:
Capacitive
For applications where cost, space, or fragility are relevant, other types of electronic sensors are used, at the price of a lower accuracy. In capacitive hygrometers, the effect of humidity on the dielectric constant of a polymer or metal oxide material is measured. With calibration, these sensors have an accuracy of ±2% RH in the range 5-95% RH. Without calibration, the accuracy is 2 to 3 times worse. Capacitive sensors are robust against effects such as condensation and temporary high temperatures. Capacitive sensors are subject to contamination, drift and aging effects, but are suitable for many applications.
So, my apologies to yourself and anyone else reading my script for the misinformation presented by me..........................wink.png

As an addition to the above, and to show the difference we get up here, the picture below was taken (from the same device you thought was faulty) yesterday afternoon when i returned to Phits. The thunderstorm hit about 10 minutes after this was taken.

post-76988-0-94097200-1462426359_thumb.j

The below picture is an example of the instruments we now use; this was taken in Rayong on the 3rd May. These things are great as they do away with sling psychrometer for the wet & dry, dewpoint and calculation tables for RH as it does it all for you. (Obviously calibration needs to be in date).

post-76988-0-50417400-1462426374_thumb.j

Air conditioning makes it harder. Dont use it and you will adjust faster

"Bottom Line!"

That's a bit too simplistic.

When I first came here I stayed with a relative. Aircon at night and during the day if we were going to be at home for a couple of hours.

Moved into my own place shortly thereafter that only had aircon in the bedroom - so aircon was only only used at night.

A couple of years later I had financial problems, so used a fan in the bedroom rather than aircon. A couple of years after that (biggrin.png ) money was no longer a problem, but continued to use a bedroom fan thinking that it must harden me to the heat. Then one day (a few years later) I wasn't well, so went to bed that night and used the aircon. It was the first 'good night's sleep' I'd had in a long time!

We only 'sort of' get used to the heat, but the past couple of months have been consistently hot - rather than the normal odd few days that are unbearably hot. We're all suffering, the Thais as well as us Westerners.

I sit in the shade for hours on end, no matter how hot it is, only sunblock is on my face, and ears and under my arms...........after a couple weeks, you don;t sweat as much, but you still sweat.............I also don't drown myself with water, I drink a glasses three times a day and thats it. Took me three years to train my body not to sweat like a pig - three glasses of water a day at the same time everyday. Sleep at the same time everynight, wake up same time every morning..................take naps anytime (haha)wai2.gif

3 glasses?? Im drinking about 4-4.5 litres a day working outside

I have to agree with another person who posted here.... He said air-conditioning makes it harder. Very true. I read about something called Acclimatization before going to Thailand.

With time, the body can adjust to things like hot climate like in tropical countries such as Thailand, higher altitudes like in the mountains of Nepal and Tibet.... but you need to do it gradually......

And going in and out of air-conditioning every day, simply is not giving your body the chance to adjust.

I made it a point of avoiding air-conditioning when I came to Thailand, and made do with just a fan in my residence..

For about the first three weeks... I sweat like a stuck pig... almost as wet as having a shower with my clothes on..... I drank bottled water almost constantly and had just a touch of salt now and then...

Wear loose, light colored clothing... some of the modern sythentics made for the tropics are very good...thin lite linen and cotton are also good. You want loose and thin clothing to allow maximum air to flow through and heat and moisture to escape...

Let your feet breath and be exposed .. don't cover them up in shoes and socks... I switched to a good pair of sandals and no socks. My feet felt much better for it. And easier to quickly remove when entering a Thai home or visiting Temple.

After about three weeks.... my sweating slowed down to normal... and I could back off of drinking so much water.. I still felt the heat... but now it seemed okay.. and did not bother me like the first three weeks.. and my clothes now stayed much drier... I noticed the heat.. but now could ignore it and consider it normal... even during the hottest part of the Thai year..

So much nicer when you are acclimatized to the local conditions... . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acclimatization

What is it with Thai people that they don't sweat are they more adjusted to the climate then us farang's are?

Whilst I agree the locals don't stink up the place like some farang do (apparently it's the diet, they don't do dairy, who knows?), they're most certainly flopping about complaining about the heat everywhere I go. My electrician showed up this morning and told me he's been staying in his house as much as possible as it's too hot to go outside unnecessarily. So the perception the locals stay cooler than those of us from colder climes is just that, a perception, and an erroneous one.

Edited by dageurreotype

I have to agree with another person who posted here.... He said air-conditioning makes it harder. Very true. I read about something called Acclimatization before going to Thailand.

With time, the body can adjust to things like hot climate like in tropical countries such as Thailand, higher altitudes like in the mountains of Nepal and Tibet.... but you need to do it gradually......

And going in and out of air-conditioning every day, simply is not giving your body the chance to adjust.

I made it a point of avoiding air-conditioning when I came to Thailand, and made do with just a fan in my residence..

For about the first three weeks... I sweat like a stuck pig... almost as wet as having a shower with my clothes on..... I drank bottled water almost constantly and had just a touch of salt now and then...

Wear loose, light colored clothing... some of the modern sythentics made for the tropics are very good...thin lite linen and cotton are also good. You want loose and thin clothing to allow maximum air to flow through and heat and moisture to escape...

Let your feet breath and be exposed .. don't cover them up in shoes and socks... I switched to a good pair of sandals and no socks. My feet felt much better for it. And easier to quickly remove when entering a Thai home or visiting Temple.

After about three weeks.... my sweating slowed down to normal... and I could back off of drinking so much water.. I still felt the heat... but now it seemed okay.. and did not bother me like the first three weeks.. and my clothes now stayed much drier... I noticed the heat.. but now could ignore it and consider it normal... even during the hottest part of the Thai year..

So much nicer when you are acclimatized to the local conditions... . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acclimatization

Rubbish re. the emboldened part!

It depends on just how hot it is - and the locals are also suffering nowadays. Its way too hot for all of us and aircon is a godsend when temps are so high.

Some may be happy sweltering in the heat, and believe it is acclimatising them - but in my experience this is not the case.

It depends on just how hot it is - and the locals are also suffering nowadays. Its way too hot for all of us and aircon is a godsend when temps are so high.

Some may be happy sweltering in the heat, and believe it is acclimatising them - but in my experience this is not the case.

So anyone's experience that differs from your is rubbish.

Sit in the aircon all day if it suits you...but do not discount the experiences of others.

What I find strange is that Thais like to put on more clothes even when the temperature gets higher , watch the locals on their scooters , They wear big jackets , shirts with long sleeves and jeans. They don't seem to mind , compare it with all the foreigners on bikes . some of them are even shirtless.

They do this to avoid sunburns and more generally to avoid being sun tanned. At least that's what they reply when I ask. As you certainly know, having a dark skin is not something liked here.

Sit in the aircon all day if it suits you...but do not discount the experiences of others.

You're right, and I apologise - I never intended to imply that my experience makes everybody elses' viewpoint rubbish. I only intended to say that living with nothing but fans (when its unbearably hot) will not toughen foreigners up to deal with the heat.

And I only rarely use aircon during the day - its way too expensive biggrin.png .

You're right, and I apologise - I never intended to imply that my experience makes everybody elses' viewpoint rubbish. I only intended to say that living with nothing but fans (when its unbearably hot) will not toughen foreigners up to deal with the heat.

And I only rarely use aircon during the day - its way too expensive biggrin.png .

I hear you there...I cannot imagine paying aircon bills here. I did in USA, and that was a well-insulated home.

Hi sometimewoodworker,

Capacitive

As an addition to the above, and to show the difference we get up here, the picture below was taken (from the same device you thought was faulty) yesterday afternoon when i returned to Phits. The thunderstorm hit about 10 minutes after this was taken.

attachicon.gifPhits_04-May-16.jpg

The below picture is an example of the instruments we now use; this was taken in Rayong on the 3rd May. These things are great as they do away with sling psychrometer for the wet & dry, dewpoint and calculation tables for RH as it does it all for you. (Obviously calibration needs to be in date).

attachicon.gifElcometer_03-May-16.jpg

The first picture seems to show that the metre is quite possibly adjusted/broken as it should probably have been around 80~90% so if you are not seeing those kinds of readings when it is raining you are very likely to be seeing a miss adjustment of 20 ~ 30%

The current reading I've got for Phitsanulok is 37 degrees and 35%

The only inexpensive reliable metres I've seen (I've got a few) are the mechanical one a bit like this

post-44962-0-26298500-1462530385_thumb.j

Most of the ones I've got have a better colour scheme. They do seem to be OK even after years.

What I find strange is that Thais like to put on more clothes even when the temperature gets higher , watch the locals on their scooters , They wear big jackets , shirts with long sleeves and jeans. They don't seem to mind , compare it with all the foreigners on bikes . some of them are even shirtless.

They do this to avoid sunburns and more generally to avoid being sun tanned. At least that's what they reply when I ask. As you certainly know, having a dark skin is not something liked here.

Yes but you only need a light shirt with long sleeves to avoid the sun, not layers of clothes .

My theory is that they somehow keep the heat out wearing thicker clothes , but it sounds like a crazy idea .

Thais get cranky when the weather gets hot.

I asked a bunch of Thai guys recently if the hot weather made Thai people irritable (murmurs of agreement)

Asked them if the heat ever made them want to stab their wives (smattering of laughter)

Asked them if the heat ever made them want to punch a foreign tourist in the face (loud embarassed laughter) smile.png

Rubbish....the emboldened part..

My story is true ! That is my personal experience. You can be a denier and call me a liar if you wish. But my post is fact.

I would advise you to study the subject of Acclimatization. And if you aren't able to acclimatize... you're either doing something wrong, or your on meds that interfere with you adjusting, or you have a screwed up body chemistry or you have some other problem.

As you've seen in this thread... there are quite a few of us who have been able to adjust/acclimatize to the tropical heat. Sorry you're not one of us.

Don't assume that because you have a problem acclimatizing that other people who say they are able to acclimatize are spewing rubbish.

People who jump to assumptions of others with no evidence often end up looking foolish...

If you can't stand the heat... get out of the kitchen and move to a cooler climate. Japan might be nice... or Canada or northern Europe.

fact: those who are over age 60 and claim they have acclimatised (meaning they don't find temperatures of 34ºC and above not very uncomfortable) can either not afford or are not willing to spend money airconditioning their homes.

wai2.gif

whistling.gif Your peception of "hot" is much more phychological than physical.

You have been trained (programed) to feel that a certain temperature is 'normal" over a lifetime of experience.

Some people learn to re-program themselves and djust their expectations.....some never can.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

If the only problem is sweating then a prescription medication is available ie.from a doctor to reduce this.

After surviving 5 years you are obviously aware of hydration and potassium/magnesium importance - drink water before you're thirsty.. Use a sachet a day of a pharmaceutical grade electrolyte mix which covers it.

If you take any other medication check if 'profuse sweating' is a recognized side-effect. If yes there may be an alternative.

Some blood-pressure meds are diuretics...they will definitely make you sweat.

Actually, they make you sweat less !

What ever,this heat is awful,one of the main reasons i am relocating, i have sat here night after night since i came back from the Philippines covered in sweat,i have a/c in the bedroom thank God.It will be getting worse year on year as the global warming increases.

What ever,this heat is awful,one of the main reasons i am relocating, i have sat here night after night since i came back from the Philippines covered in sweat,i have a/c in the bedroom thank God.It will be getting worse year on year as the global warming increases.

If the only problem is sweating then a prescription medication is available ie.from a doctor to reduce this.

After surviving 5 years you are obviously aware of hydration and potassium/magnesium importance - drink water before you're thirsty.. Use a sachet a day of a pharmaceutical grade electrolyte mix which covers it.

If you take any other medication check if 'profuse sweating' is a recognized side-effect. If yes there may be an alternative.

Some blood-pressure meds are diuretics...they will definitely make you sweat.

Actually, they make you sweat less !

My experience was different.

My doctor had me on diazide for hypertension and it made me sweat more.

Results may vary...but you can put away your "actually"

So I am a American in my early 30's in pretty good shape but when I go outside I sweat so much its crazy I am like Shaq at the foul line.

What is it with Thai people that they don't sweat are they more adjusted to the climate then us farang's are?

I have lived here for 5 years so you would think I would have built up some tolerance for the heat but I guess not.

I think your chance of adjusting is nil ...but you will feel better when the hot season finishes