US cruise ship docks in Havana over 40 years since the last sailed the Florida Straits

webfact

US cruise ship docks in Havana over 40 years since the last sailed the Florida Straits

606x341_331622.jpg

HAVANA: -- An American cruise ship has docked in Havana for the first time in more than 40 years.

Since Presidents Obama and Castro announced in December 2014 that they had agreed to mend relations, tourism in Cuba has reached record numbers.

“I’m here because I have some family members coming on the cruise ship and because I want for Cuba and the US to stay the way they are right now – in peace and united; whatever it takes for things to continue improving,” said one excited Cuban waiting at port.
Before the 1959 Cuban Revolution ferries and cruise were the prefered way for Cubans and Americans to cross the Florida Straits.

The Adonia will sail every other week between Miami and Havana.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-05-03

What a shame!

Although it would bring lots of $$ in, good for some, yes it is a shame.

Cuba will become another Patthaya and will be lost to the allmighty $.

Vultures will block the Cuban sun.

Edited by wabothai

While the US travel ban for Americans had limited travel of Americans to Cuba (there were numerous exceptions), Cuba saw the highest number of tourists in the Caribbean, second to the Dominican Republic. In 2014 Cuba saw about 900,000 Canadians; 530,000 Europeans; and 800,000 from Middle East/South America/Mediterranean.

Restoration of unlimited American tourism will certainly impact Cuba, both socially and economically. But the Cuban regime has had foreign tourism well under control for decades. The government may have to increase its immigration and law enforcement forces, but I doubt it will need to change its management of roeign tourists.

Viva La Cuba.

While the US travel ban for Americans had limited travel of Americans to Cuba (there were numerous exceptions), Cuba saw the highest number of tourists in the Caribbean, second to the Dominican Republic. In 2014 Cuba saw about 900,000 Canadians; 530,000 Europeans; and 800,000 from Middle East/South America/Mediterranean.

Restoration of unlimited American tourism will certainly impact Cuba, both socially and economically. But the Cuban regime has had foreign tourism well under control for decades. The government may have to increase its immigration and law enforcement forces, but I doubt it will need to change its management of roeign tourists.

Viva La Cuba.

the numbers of canadians and europeans will drop significantly as the americans move in.