Beyond a joke, worse than useless

Snackbar

It doesn't take an "engineer" to unblock a sink but most of the repairmen or odd job men like to think of themselves as "engineers" or "technicians"

I call mine a Cambodian, because that is where he's from.

when my up country builder filled the water supply pipe with sand by dragging it about before install,causing slow water flow at the taps,he thought about it and explained "the water is thicker here."..i blew it back with a pump for 10 seconds and the water got thinner..you got to love it

I think he meant "the farang are thicker here" and they will believe any BS you tell them. :)

Funny, as I was reading this thread, the pool fixer guys comes in and shows me the pool light - shakes it and it's clearly broken.

But I said 10 minutes ago when you were fiddling with the wiring the was coming on...so it wasn't the light. It was the wiring.

His fidling shorted something out, so now its the wiring AND the bulb....awesome.

Funny, as I was reading this thread, the pool fixer guys comes in and shows me the pool light - shakes it and it's clearly broken.

But I said 10 minutes ago when you were fiddling with the wiring the was coming on...so it wasn't the light. It was the wiring.

His fidling shorted something out, so now its the wiring AND the bulb....awesome.

At least he didn't "short out" otherwise you would have a "ghost" in your house and then have to move. biggrin.png

People need to remember one thing:

Just because Somchai has a sign outside his place for a plumbing business, doesn't that he has any qualifications or experience as a plumber.

It only means one thing:

At some point in the past, Somchai had enough money to have a sign made.

coffee1.gif

Hehe, very true! But unfortunately it runs deeper as I just found out!

I have / had a Franke hob and dishwasher, they were both on, the main fuse tripped, so I flicked it back on, hob heated back up and tripped again, dishwasher would no longer turn on, f*** I said, these things are blooming expensive, I won't go to Somchai, I will call HQ in Phuket. Somchai turned up in HQs clothing haha - he diagnosed both machines faults in 20 seconds without a single tool, he never even put a hand on the hob.... He said, Hob has water in it (sealed ceramic unit!) and dishwasher needs new control board, can fix for just under 18k! remember he never tested a thing! So I cut my losses and bought a new one of each...

Unfortunately I have gotten used to it over time, I'll never forget the guy who told me I need new spokes on my wobbly front wheel on the scooter, I said no the spokes are fine, No no I Mechanic! He yelled, so I agreed and went off with a new wheel, nearly crashed, went back, he looked properly this time, a bolt was missing from one of the forks, OH You are Lucky you not have accident! .... of course no acknowledgement that he replaced a perfectly fine wheel!

Thailand simply does not have a concept of quality.

The only thing thais think about is quick money for a short term solution.

Maybe i suggest you either return to europe where quality of abundence or stay in thailand and moan and groan about low quality products.

When i suggested to a painter that i wanted dropsheet on the floor he said mai pen rai can clean.

These people just dont get it so i sacrificed a bedsheet.

Don't know how many times I have heard "painters" say that.

In Kanchanaburi, and after doing the tourist bit, enquire at the central train station information office.

'I'd like to travel to Chumpon.'

Young male clerk, pristine and profession looking, sucks his teeth in an annoying uncouth manner and says 'No.'

So, I try again.

'Can I travel to Chumpon from here?'

Clerk's teeth sucking's now more exaggerated. 'No.'

'Thanks soo much. You've been very informative.'

When i suggested to a painter that i wanted dropsheet on the floor he said mai pen rai can clean.

These people just dont get it so i sacrificed a bedsheet.

At least you can clean up spilt paint. Don't know how many times I have had floor tiles marked with welding splatters. I always coach the welder to laying down some cardboard or plywood. Minute I walk away they move on to another area of work and don't move the floor protection.

In Kanchanaburi, and after doing the tourist bit, enquire at the central train station information office.

'I'd like to travel to Chumpon.'

Young male clerk, pristine and profession looking, sucks his teeth in an annoying uncouth manner and says 'No.'

So, I try again.

'Can I travel to Chumpon from here?'

Clerk's teeth sucking's now more exaggerated. 'No.'

'Thanks soo much. You've been very informative.'

You asked a question and got an answer. What more did you want the clerk to do ?

My pet hate is if you buy wooden furniture that the underneath of the items is never painted. I have looked at chairs, tables and side boards etc. Yesterday we bought 2 towel racks with paper around the bottoms. Got them home and began to put them together and found the bottoms of the legs were not stained.

So I read all this I agree with most what the op posted, not really about the blocked sink

which you should be able to do by your self but beside that do you really have proper

trades people in Thailand I am not talking about handymen s I mean bricklayers, electricians

plumbers and so on who went to school for a number of years like they have to in the west?

I had my house build in 2007 in Thailand it is a ruin now, the walls cracked (a gap of about 5 cm )

the roof leaking from the day we moved in(when it rains you don't have to use the shower)

every electrical equipment you could not touch (in fear of being electrocuted) I don't care

about Thai apologists you can't do me any harm I am glad to be back in what you call

Nanny state and don't tell me you should have known all about it why do we have so many

posters on TV complaining about Thailand but they still stay?

Rant over

Yes nuclear power, that's a good one.....unlike the Japanese with Fukushima, somehow I do not think that a major tsunami would be required to avoid a meltdown.

Somebody will just push the wrong button someday, maybe while winning at candy crush on his mobile.....anything can happen

Edited by namatjira

Visiting Kanchanaburi, Nakon Pathom for the first time. Found an attractive restaurant. Asked for Chicken curry with rice.

What?

Krung geng gai, I say.

What?

Krung geng gai, Kap.

What?

Mai pan rai, Nam plow, Kap.

What?

Breakfast at the hotel. Omelete please.

Well. What turned up looked like something a heavy smoker coughed up after a large night on the drink. Think of a sodden nappy of a kid with dysentery.

Beggars belief.

Ask for directions and look in awe at the bewilderment.

May as well ask the cat.

Visiting Kanchanaburi, Nakon Pathom for the first time. Found an attractive restaurant. Asked for Chicken curry with rice.

What?

Krung geng gai, I say.

What?

Krung geng gai, Kap.

What?

Mai pan rai, Nam plow, Kap.

What?

Breakfast at the hotel. Omelete please.

Well. What turned up looked like something a heavy smoker coughed up after a large night on the drink. Think of a sodden nappy of a kid with dysentery.

Beggars belief.

Ask for directions and look in awe at the bewilderment.

May as well ask the cat. Beyond a joke.

• 1 month later...

A friend had a blocked toilet, so he asked a handyman he knew already to quote to fix it.

He was quoted for a brand new toilet, which my friend sensibly declined and just unblocked it in the normal way.

The same bloke quoted me 4,000 baht to hang 7 drops of a feature wallpaper which I was supplying. Straight drops, no corners, the easiest job imaginable.

I decided to do it myself with my then GF after spending about 500 baht on the paste, brushes etc. Took 2 hours.

Presumably, some people fall for this blokes nonsense, otherwise he wouldn't try it on.