Miracle escape for family of four in Phuket car-flip horror

webfact

Miracle escape for family of four in Phuket car-flip horror
Phuket Gazette

f.jpeg
The driver Somchai Kennadam, 44, lost control of the car as he took a bend on the slippery road. Photo: Winai Sarot

PHUKET: -- A family of four escaped serious injury when their car skidded off the road, smashed into trees and flipped over early this morning.

The accident occurred at 3:40am on Thepkrasattri Road during a rainstorm. The driver, Somchai Kennadam, 44, said he lost control of the car as he took a bend on the slippery road heading towards Mai Khao.

Police arrived on the scene to find the upturned Nissan Tida on the median strip next to two freshly-felled trees, as the occupants got out of the car, dazed but unharmed.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Miracle-escape-family-four-Phuket-carflip-horror/63818?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-05-04

Going too fast for the conditions, but I can almost be certain that won't be his excuse. At least he had the sense to have his family wear seat belts.

Exactly ... driving too fast for the road condition. Lack of driving experience.

I'm glad they are all Ok.

The roads are extremely greasy with oil, rubber , grit and allsorts at the moment even when dry. Its gonna take a few good downpours to clean the crud off the roads. The days of the first proper rains will make for interesting driving.

The philosophy some in Thailand have of 'well its raining, the roads are quieter so I can go faster' baffles me. I have seen people go past me at what must be 150kph in the midst of heavy rain on the way up to Bangkok.

The inability of some people to negotiate simple bends doesn't help- its not as if the bends on the road towards Mai Khao are not heavily marked with warning signs.

'During a rainstorm' - means its raining. When its raining, road is wet. When road is wet, tire have less grip. When have less grip is dangerous to turn.

Go slowly.

I go very slowly and ignore people who honk.

It's how you stay alive :)

Thai drivers don't do bends in the road. You see it all the time. Drive fast on a straight road and then .. 'ooh er a bend in the road, what do I do now?'

Hence the local name of '1,000 dead people corner' for that minor bend in the road coffee1.gif

Edited by simon43