Uk settlement visa - marriage certificate

Hi,

My wife went to Vfs today to submit all the documents for her settlement visa application .

The guy from Vfs that checked all the documents mentioned that the marriage certificate might not get accepted because it's no the original certificate .. We submitted the English and Thai copy's that are posted to me at my address in England? The only other certificate we have was the original one we was given in Thailand but that's in Thai .

What's everyone submitted ?

Could they refuser the visa because of this ? Or will they just ask us to send them the Thai version ?

Thanks

You should have been given two originals (in Thai) - one each.

Not submitting an original could be fatal to the application. I don't know the policy on asking for an original when a copy is submitted as opposed to simply summarily refusing the application.

• Like 1

My wife had an original copy but mine was submitted to the uk embassy along with a certified translation and then they posted me a uk certified marriage certificate in English and a copy of the Thai one so I just put those in

According to the UKVI website with a settlement visa they can ask for extra info to add to the info you have already supplied in "a reasonable amount of time".

I have read a few threads on a couple of other forums in the last few days where the visa has just been refused for simple things that could easily be fixed.

I hope it's ok.

• Like 1

My wife had an original copy but mine was submitted to the uk embassy along with a certified translation and then they posted me a uk certified marriage certificate in English and a copy of the Thai one so I just put those in

Are you sure you have a UK marriage certificate ?

Sorry but that sounds unlikely if you were not married in the UK.

According to the UKVI website with a settlement visa they can ask for extra info to add to the info you have already supplied in "a reasonable amount of time".

I have read a few threads on a couple of other forums in the last few days where the visa has just been refused for simple things that could easily be fixed.

I hope it's ok.

I'm hoping that if the ones I have submitted are not good enough they will ask for the Thai original one .

If it was refused maybe I can appeal against it and submit the Thai one then .

Edited by daniel2183

I could be confused then. When I got married in Bangkok we had to get the certificate translated and certified then submitted to the uk embassy in Bangkok to register the marriage in the uk. They then posted me copies of both certificates to my address in the uk which had a red stamp on and something like "certified marriage certificate " I can't remember the exact wording .

Seems crazy that the certificate that the uk embassy sent to me with there stamp on would be refused .

Edited by daniel2183

I could be confused then. When I got married in Bangkok we had to get the certificate translated and certified then submitted both to the uk embassy in Bangkok to register the marriage in the uk. They then posted me copies of both certificates to my address in the uk which had a red stamp on and something like "certified marriage certificate " I can't remember the exact wording .

Seems crazy that the certificate that the uk embassy sent to me with there stamp on would be refused .

The marriage was not "registered" merely recorded.

There was no need for you to spend money doing this because a legal Thai marriage is recognised as such in the UK .

• Like 1

Arh ok I guess I got it wrong then .... Hopefully it will be ok .

Just looking at the uk gov website . It state that we must meet one of the following

married or civil partners

living together in a relationship for 2 years

engaged to be married or to become civil partners

We have been together for 7 years married 4 and lived together for 3 years over 6 (I travel to Thailand for 6 months for the last 6 years ) s o maybe we will fall in to the second category?