For you men with Thai wives in Thailand....

JAFO

Is your wife of the mind that she feels the need to "manage" or comment on everything?

Here is the reason I am curious. I find that my wife feels that she needs to handle or have a comment to add on all affairs. I thought maybe my wife was just the tenacious type but then a friend of mine dropped by the other day to pick up some stuff at our house and his wife started telling him how he should load it in his truck and how to best secure it. I started laughing pretty hard inside as my wife does the same type thing. I am at the stage now where when my wife starts to "take over" what I am doing because she feels she has a better way, I stop and look at her and give her a look like "Really?". I usually follow it with a comment like "Gee in all my years I have never secured a box in the bed of a truck before" or "I have never in my life packed a suitcase, paid a bill, cleaned the yard, dug a hole, fixed a car, driven anywhere, etc.... LOL. Fortunately I never took her flying while we were in the US as she was scared to death to do it but I would guess in no time she would tell me how to take off and land and all the things I need to do. LOL!!!

My biggest laugh I get is when she chimes in on something she knows nothing about. I have loads of really funny examples. Years back I was frustrated with it all but now I have fun with it. The one I like the most is when you get to a parking lot and as soon as you turn into the lot they start telling you where to park. I say, "would you like to park the truck? This is usually followed with a smile, a slap on my shoulder and a "fine park where you want" comment laughingly.

Typically speaking I have found this to be just a woman thing. My buddies and I in the US used to laugh about this stuff all the time over drinks. Good stand up comedian material. I am glad she is the way she is as I could never handle the one that never says anything or always says "Up to you". Curious though, I am not sure if Thai women do that with their Thai husbands. I would believe so.

Any of you guys have some funny stories you'd like to share? This is not a Bash thread, I was sitting here laughing about it.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently us farlangs, according to my lovely wife, don't know how to wash the dishes correctly. I always pretend to disagree and then sit back quietly laughing when she takes over.

The most regular arguement we have is on parking. I like to choose a nice easy spot for my ease of getting in and out of while the wife will try to insist I park as close as possible to wherever we're going...I usually ignore and park where I want...cue argument.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

Yes and often I feel it necessary to remind her that I was doing this job (whatever it is) before she was born or that I studied this subject at college.

I might add that we do mostly laugh over it and it never gets really serious.

Edited by piersbeckett

Well I am never right, never

Just for fun!

Weeeell, perhaps when she hears my angels singing voice she doesn't give me any verbal...giggle.gif

I am sure there are many possible answers, but you must be doing something right.

Perhaps she appreciates the emoticons.

I like that in the wife. When i grab the machete and start working she gets frustrated with how i do it. Takes the machete away and goes to work. She does all the hard stuff. I just follow and pick up.When i cook she stands there and criticise's every thing I do because i am doing it wrong as she see's it. If I want her to do some thing for me no need to ask, just let her watch,in 2 minutes she will be doing it for me.Some times i just ask how she wants some thing done and she gets tired of explaining and just does it. The down side is when I really want some thing done my way she makes a poor helper.

I am sure there are many possible answers, but you must be doing something right.

Perhaps she appreciates the emoticons.

I do have my own facial emicons that seem to go down better than my words.....Big learning curve.......laugh.png

I can imagine some of them.

'Oooh' , face winces. 'Ahh', possibly exhaustion or relief.

Does she know 'Yeeessssah'?

I'm not so sure this is so much of a Thai gynocentric issue..., my feelings are it may be more of a world wide gynocentric issue.wai.gif

Indeed. Women think they know everything the world over.

Very true

It doesn't help that we have being blowing smoke up their (you know what) to get what we want, (you know whatwink.png ) Just think of some of the lines you used when you were dating, and try using them with a straight face around your mates.

Their attitude is in a big part our fault. We have created a monster, In my case a very very cute monster and I love it.biggrin.png

I am LMAO, Great responses and I have lived all of them. I know for some it would drive them nuts. You have to have a great sense of humor. I know they mean well. I am glad she is engaged in what I am doing.

Hwere is one, So I brought over an "American style" Heavy duty contractors wheelbarrow. Thais have these weeny deals with skinny solid wheels or that "Trailer" type deal that you over fill and cant lift. My wife and FIL complained about the wheelbarrow, said it was awkward and not very good. Current;y we are building around our house so I told my wife and FIL "OK we have a mound of Sand and a mound Rock to move". I will move one mound and I will let you guys do the other with your tools". Wife and FIL laughed and agreed. I kicked their asses. That US designed wheelbarrow loaded more, moved more and faster with less stress. My wife pouted then made me a cocktail but said she still didn't like it.

Oh Yeah.....my wife will never ever admit she is wrong. But I think that goes without saying. We are never right and even when they are are wrong, they are right...LOL.

I really wanted to take her flying. I wanted to get her up there and when she started in I was going to do a barrel role and then say "OK, You fly us now"....LOL

Yep - they love to give 110% & think that they are doing their upmost for you.....

They don't realize the value we inadvertently place on independence.....I get all the free space and time I want around the house - no problem.....And she (& daughters) handle/manage the house so well while all catering/contributing to all that I seldom notice or mind....It's much smoother & symbiotic than with western gals.....

But when away from the domain the "backseat driver" is in full force....Turns, parking spots, lanes are all in play.....

It's part & parcel to the umbrella of their/her commitment & they really are doing/trying their best for us - - in spite of how WE perceive it....

We/they are 180' from one another....That's what draws us (and repells us - within us).....

It's not love/hate thing as it is an appreciated difference thing that we don't completely understand.....And they don't really care if we "don't get it" - they're doing their best for US.. ....

And I semi-appreciate-understand-treasure-welcome it ------ I think.....

I'm happy, so I must......

I like that in the wife. When i grab the machete and start working she gets frustrated with how i do it. Takes the machete away and goes to work. She does all the hard stuff. I just follow and pick up.When i cook she stands there and criticise's every thing I do because i am doing it wrong as she see's it. If I want her to do some thing for me no need to ask, just let her watch,in 2 minutes she will be doing it for me.Some times i just ask how she wants some thing done and she gets tired of explaining and just does it. The down side is when I really want some thing done my way she makes a poor helper.

The word domineering immediately springs to mind and in my opinion very frustrating situation/s

I am the first to welcome a thread with a humorous undertone. But in this case, I fail to see a humorous element.

If a Farang allows it, that a (deleted) starts to run his live, instead of finding the behavior of the (Deleted) funny, he would be better advised to retire to a quiet corner and start asking himself questions like: " How did I ever end up in a situation like this, what happened to my self-esteem"?

A Thai-Male, unless absolutely destitute, would terminate such a relationship within 48 hours, Such behavior would be classified as outlandish an highly inappropriate for a Thai "Lady".

Farangs are far more patient, but sitting in a divorce court, trying to recover at least part of their Thai-Investment, usually wipes off the last smile off the face of any Farang, realizing that they have fallen prey to nothing less than a "hostile-takeover".

Cheers

I am the first to welcome a thread with a humorous undertone. But in this case, I fail to see a humorous element.

If a Farang allows it, that a (deleted) starts to run his live, instead of finding the behavior of the (Deleted) funny, he would be better advised to retire to a quiet corner and start asking himself questions like: " How did I ever end up in a situation like this, what happened to my self-esteem"?

A Thai-Male, unless absolutely destitute, would terminate such a relationship within 48 hours, Such behavior would be classified as outlandish an highly inappropriate for a Thai "Lady".

Farangs are far more patient, but sitting in a divorce court, trying to recover at least part of their Thai-Investment, usually wipes off the last smile off the face of any Farang, realizing that they have fallen prey to nothing less than a "hostile-takeover".

Cheers

Yes.....

You have to pick your battles.....

And......

It has to make sense.....

Draw a line away from that at your own peril.....

I'm not so sure this is so much of a Thai gynocentric issue..., my feelings are it may be more of a world wide gynocentric issue.wai.gif

Very true

It doesn't help that we have being blowing smoke up their (you know what) to get what we want, (you know what;) ) Just think of some of the lines you used when you were dating, and try using them with a straight face around your mates.

Their attitude is in a big part our fault. We have created a monster, In my case a very very cute monster and I love it.biggrin.png

I concur I have noticed this opinionated feature in my g/f as well. When she gives advice on medical issues I usually say "Thank you doctor" I find it one of her funny features and now at my advanced age I rather enjoy it. 50 years ago not so much. I guess its tolerance as we age. This is a good thread as I thought I was the only one with a g/f with this feature.

Very true

It doesn't help that we have being blowing smoke up their (you know what) to get what we want, (you know what;) ) Just think of some of the lines you used when you were dating, and try using them with a straight face around your mates.

I concur I have noticed this opinionated feature in my g/f as well. When she gives advice on medical issues I usually say "Thank you doctor" I find it one of her funny features and now at my advanced age I rather enjoy it. 50 years ago not so much. I guess its tolerance as we age. This is a good thread as I thought I was the only one with a g/f with this feature.

"Thank you doctor"

HaHaHa , that's funny,

same here, when my wife get's bossy and try to tell me how to do something I say to her in my best southern accent (which is not very good) "Yas MamBoss, please don't hit poor me " and we both burst out laughing, then she gives me a fake slap. Or when in the car I call her Mis GPS cause she is always trying to tel l me how to drivelaugh.png or Misdirections 'cause her directions are always wrong.

But you are right, perhaps it has to do with getting a little older, and perhaps being confident enough in your self not to get bothered by it, and to see the humor in it.

The foreigner's credibility bag has a big hole in it. No matter what you you excel at, no matter how often you prove your competence in a given task. All of it falls out of the bag when someone else shows up with an opinion or the next situation occurs.

However, if it is just you and the missus, workable arrangements can be had. For example, if it is anything technical I get left alone, If it is something she has been doing all her life, then it's her job.

Until someone else comes along of course. Even the crazy guys that stumble in from time to time, get full attention to their opinion and I will have to defend my own. And If my father in law has an opinion, I leave. There is nothing good that follows after that, but no one can talk to that guy. Just undo the damage later on.

Haha. I have to occasionally remind my Thai wife that many farang are not stupid and actually know things, and that I'm one of them!

She don't know you are a farang?tongue.png
Haha... She actually doesn't complain about or put down farangs, but just tries to convince me of things that I know are factually incorrect.

Haha. I have to occasionally remind my Thai wife that many farang are not stupid and actually know things, and that I'm one of them!

She don't know you are a farang?tongue.png
Haha... She actually doesn't complain about or put down farangs, but just tries to convince me of things that I know are factually incorrect.

"but just tries to convince me of things that I know are factually incorrect. "

In other words she is being a normal female.laugh.png

Cheers

Yes.....

You have to pick your battles.....

And......

It has to make sense.....

Draw a line away from that at your own peril.....

@Pgramm, I agree with your point of view. You cannot roll over to everything. In any relationship there has to be boundaries. Some things are not worth the battle. I enjoy that she takes ownership of certain things and back to your other post they feel a need to care. Living with my wife and FIL is very fun and very rewarding. My FIL is a funny old guy. The relationship my wife has with her sister I am jealous of as I could never be that close to my brother ever. On the bright side I have a excellent and very good relationship with my BIL which allows us to go off and talk and laugh about our wives. My BIL's wife is like mine. We both laugh about it. Life is too short not to laugh more.

@ swissie, I hear what you are saying but in any relationship it is about compromise. I also think ones personal demeanor will dictate if they can find humor in it or not. I know for me personally I could never ever be in a total subservient relationship. I have known friends that thought that was the best way after divorcing. Sadly the flip was worse for them and when I was around them it was pretty pathetic. It was like they had a pet. Definitely not for me. I like sparring with my wife. It encourages better decisions. I am not always right nor is she.

Again its all in fun. This post wasn't to start a debate but mostly to share stuff amongst guys as if we were all sitting in a bar talking smack. Its healthy.

Apparently us farlangs, according to my lovely wife, don't know how to wash the dishes correctly. I always pretend to disagree and then sit back quietly laughing when she takes over.

The most regular arguement we have is on parking. I like to choose a nice easy spot for my ease of getting in and out of while the wife will try to insist I park as close as possible to wherever we're going...I usually ignore and park where I want...cue argument.

Yes, my wife tells me I don't know how to turn the washing machine, how to wash dishes, how to clean the floor and vacuum the house.

Because she's so smart she does all the house chores while I sit on my ass posting on forums. Ironically....

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum

Probably so, but it seems to be more prevalent among Thai wives.

I've been dealing with it for 30+ years.

I have to ditto all the above, Mrs CM has an opinion on every thing these days, especially DIY type projects that she's absolutely no experience or history of. My typical response, if it becomes too much, is to hand her the tools and suggest she do the work (which she never does of course. I think it's something to do with having gained confidence, unsure.