Are the Thais Falling Back in Love with Pattaya? by The Pattaya Sleuth

Inspire

I have yet to see a Thai person react with disgust about Pattaya .When i lived in Jomtien (now live in Chiang mai ) ,every weekend the beach was filled with Thai families .Thais are open about sex ,and know what goes on but dont have our Christian guilt about it .

well 2 girls i told i live in Pattaya and asked if they have been here. The answer was same from both , I DONT GO PATTAYA!

Not yet. :) Bet you could change their minds. A million Thais visiting this past weekend can't be wrong. Follow the herd! ;)

Eargely awaiting your arguments to back up your incoherent rant.

Are the Thais Falling Back in Love with Pattaya?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif and one more cheesy.gif

out of curiosity, do these journalists people from inspire & whatsonsukhumvit are actually living in thailand? and do they get paid for for they nonsense?

Back in 1979, I was knobbing my first ever Thai girlfriend in Bangkok who just happened to be Thai classical dance teacher with an appointment to some ML, hi-so somethings as a royally endorsed tutor. Very pretty in the traditional sense, very quiet and super conservative in public but went off like a bottle rocket in the sack. Her younger sister was also a qualified teacher but chose to teach at a public school in Naklua. The Bangkok family fondly considered the younger sibling to be a bit of a wild child.

Some people can handle the social stigma, some can't while the rest, me included, mercifully don't give a toss.

>> The longer I live in Thailand the less interested I have become in Thai language and culture. (Yes, I'm working on leaving.)<<..I have long given up on learning the Thai language .Learning the culture still interests me .I was brought up Catholic ,but a mere moments critical analysis of their teachings makes be believe that's its even more unbelievable than father christmas .I am more and more leaning towards Buddhist beliefs .I still love Thailand after 10 years full time here .I have a love hate relationship with my own Country ,Southern Ireland .) I may never go back there .

Thank's for the honesty.

Edited by ozyjon

Maybe the Thais are coming back to snap up all those empty condos,,,

as for the beaches,, I actually forgot how filthy the water at jomtiem beach really was until I brought the family there last month,, although in saying that as previously mentioned some other beaches around the area are ok

Are Thais finding new love for Pattaya? Are they coming in bigger numbers as purchasers of property as the non Thais exit from the airport or a rooftop? Or are they coming in a time of global financial downturn to extract the ever illusive promise of gold?

To me the original question contains a subtle propagandist promotional suggestion based on all factors I have contemplated.wink.png

Condo anyone?

Edited by Rimmer
Off topic removed

Never met a Thai who showed disgust at Pattaya. I have met many Farangs who have though.

Came here 30 years ago and still loving it.

The frog in boiling water syndrome

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it?

...or, "Come on mate, jump in! The water's lovely."

@Midas doesn't have a clue, doesn't know me and probably never will.

Came here 30 years ago and still loving it.

I too came to Pattaya 30 years ago. Started in Jomtien, where there was nothing...just the beach and all for me. (but that lasted less than 2 years)

Once Pattaya connected with Jomtien; the mafia from all over the world arrived; the traffic became like Bangkok; and the prices just went up and up and up. Had to put up with the Royal Jomtien fire which killed 100+, damaged my property, but no compensation. Then they built their airconditioning plant next to my house...90/100decibels day and night (F...you. we're OK!). it was time to call it a day and move to isaan.

Best move I ever made.

I remember the Royal Jomtien Hotel fire. Absolutely horrible.

The in-laws live in Na Jomtien which is further South and is not as built up and still nice. I'm not sure how long it will stay that way because developers are moving in.

The traffic congestion on Sukhumvit is hell though on any long weekend.

@prakhonchai nick Your experience sounds bad. Mine totally different. Bought house 30 years ago at end of quiet cul de sac 15 minutes walk from CAT building. Was considered out of town then as all you could hear was birds twittering in the trees. And that is all I still hear everyday. You gotta choose your residence carefully.

Edited by Keesters

Its called demographic engineering and by design to increase the Thai population in Pattaya. Look at all the Thai for Thai events like the music festivals, business conventions, the development of condos marketed to Thais, malls like Harbor. And its being done by a coalition of city and provincial authorities, developers and satisfies multi purposes: economical as well as diluting the "entertainment" scene in Pattaya that those above would like to eliminate. Soi 6 days are numbered.

Of course walking street will be kept as a token tourist attraction. So what you see here is what it has brought: congestion , motorbikes everywhere, more garbage and the bad news clippings. And PR type magazine articles ^

Edited by morrobay

Its called demographic engineering and by design to increase the Thai population in Pattaya. Look at all the Thai for Thai events like the music festivals, business conventions, the development of condos marketed to Thais, malls like Harbor. And its being done by a coalition of city and provincial authorities, developers and satisfies multi purposes: economical as well as diluting the "entertainment" scene in Pattaya that those above would like to eliminate. Soi 6 days are numbered.

Of course walking street will be kept as a token tourist attraction. So what you see here is what it has brought: congestion , motorbikes everywhere, more garbage and the bad news clippings. And PR type magazine articles ^

Good grief! You make it sound as if Pattaya was once a bastion of foreign majority in a nation that "doesn't like us much." Where the white man ruled in his little enclave of whorehouses masquerading as bars. The empire is lost!

Or was that before 1974?

They (City Hall, I think) were blatantly clear they wanted to turn Pattaya into a "family destination", a lot of talk about that a few years back. I'm surprised they followed through, or maybe it's just a coincidence.

EDIT: Right TAT has their snout in there too: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/780778-thailand-to-develop-five-sites-as-quality-tourist-destinations/

Edited by DrTuner

Good grief! You make it sound as if Pattaya was once a bastion of foreign majority in a nation that "doesn't like us much." Where the white man ruled in his little enclave of whorehouses masquerading as bars. The empire is lost!

Or was that before 1974?

More like 2004 , could even go up to 2006.