PM Prayut: No renewal of gold mining concession

webfact

PM: No renewal of gold mining concession

626_PM-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet did not consider renewing the gold mining concession concession of Akara Resources PLc which is due to expire on May 13, said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha on Tuesday.

However, he said that he had instructed the cabinet at its meeting today to make sure that all gold mining operations must stop at the end of this year and, from now until yearend, authorities concerned must find jobs for about 1,000 workers who will be made redundant as a direct result of the suspension of gold mining operations.

Also, areas contaminated by toxic wastes released into the environment by the gold mines will be rehabilitated whereas people affected by toxic substances will receive treatment provided by the Ministry of Public Health.

The prime minister said that he could not immediately stop the mining operations because the operations were approved by previous governments and had been going on for decades.

But he assured after December all gold mining activities are non-existent “until everything is cleared up.”

A panel comprising five governmental units from four ministries has been investigating the gold mining operations to determine whether they are safe or whether pose a threat to the environment and to the people.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/162763

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-11

Another absurd decision.... Australia has a known record for the cleanest mining in the world...

YES! Before you knockers jump-in, I am speaking from experience.... I've worked in gold, copper, manganese, magnesium mines for 40 years all over Australia...Never a problem at any of these mines due to concerns for the environment and safety of its workers from the mining companies.

I feel very sorry for the workers that are put out of work on a whim of others surrounding Akara Resources mine, and on such a sudden dead-drop decision...A lot of these people would be benefiting from this operation with family working in Arkara on high wages which flows through the local towns and villages... Yes, do not forget the Thai Government will also be losing its cut from the mine.....in royalties and taxes...

They have advised authorities to help these workers find other employment.....To go from gold mining employment to baht 300 a day work will not go down well...

How on this Earth, will they find a thousand jobs in our current situation..Will they be pushing food carts along the street?

Edited by tagalong

Tagalong is correct. My understanding (admittedly third hand) is that the villagers are the victim of a scare campaign initiated by a well connected local figure who had bought up large tracts of land surrounding the mine in anticipation of it expanding. They became angry and started causing trouble when the mine refused to buy the land at "Klong Dan" level mark-ups. I suspect that when the dust settles, we will see the mine re-opened by a Thai company owned by people connected with whatever government is in power at the time.

Whatever caused this decision to close mining in Thailand, it will very likely have a profound effect on the future foreign investment here.

If a simple stroke of a pen can close an industry that has been operating for years....employing hundreds locals and adding significantly to national and local coffers, then the same can happen to almost any industry.

The thought of this being a decision favouring Thai business people, certainly comes to mind as mentioned by Bangkokfrog above.

The UK is hosting a summit on "corruption throughout the world" Nigeria and Afganistan are attending.I have not heard from the PM or the Thai Gov't that they will be attending when a key focus of the Junta is to stop corruption. Thought if they are serious they would attend and maybe learn how corruption has been brought under control in other countries.

Another very large nail in the foreign investment coffin. How can any business justify their position in Thailand if a whole industry can be wiped out with the stroke of a pen at a moments notice?

Another absurd decision.... Australia has a known record for the cleanest mining in the world...

YES! Before you knockers jump-in, I am speaking from experience.... I've worked in gold, copper, manganese, magnesium mines for 40 years all over Australia...Never a problem at any of these mines due to concerns for the environment and safety of its workers from the mining companies.

I feel very sorry for the workers that are put out of work on a whim of others surrounding Akara Resources mine, and on such a sudden dead-drop decision...A lot of these people would be benefiting from this operation with family working in Arkara on high wages which flows through the local towns and villages... Yes, do not forget the Thai Government will also be losing its cut from the mine.....in royalties and taxes...

They have advised authorities to help these workers find other employment.....To go from gold mining employment to baht 300 a day work will not go down well...

How on this Earth, will they find a thousand jobs in our current situation..Will they be pushing food carts along the street?

Good, so you can enlighten us a bit about all the shit happening in Loei.

Do you seriously think the pay and conditions here in Thailand are anything like that in Australia? If you do your delusional!

And all the people who have become sick from toxins being released into the water supply, that's just a figment of their imagination.

Instead of telling us about the know clean record of Australian mining why don't you explain the known unclean record of Thai mining?

The Australians have no problems with safety issues when operating in Thailand it seems. They even call the Thai protestors stupid although it is proven that it is creating serious health issues for them.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-28/chatree-mine-causes-protests-in-thailand-after-poisoning-claims/7364976

Edited by Nickymaster

"But he assured after December all gold mining activities are non-existent “until everything is cleared up.”"

A brave and necessary decision. If gold mining is not safe for the workers, they should not be working there.

There will be gold mining again, as soon as everything have been cleaned up, but then safe for the workers and hopefully this time free of corruption.

Edited by Xonax

The prime minister said that he could not immediately stop the mining operations because the operations were approved by previous governments and had been going on for decades.

Interesting.

Article 44 can't be used?

And it is OK to "honor" certain obligations made by the previous governments?

It is not really the closing down of the mine but the manner that the mine is being closed that is disturbing.This kind of abrupt arbitrary decision from a single source of power without proper assessment of the environment issues, no court orders and consideration of the thousands that will suddenly find themselves with no job are serious concerns for investors as well as infringing on human rights.

The UK is hosting a summit on "corruption throughout the world" Nigeria and Afganistan are attending.I have not heard from the PM or the Thai Gov't that they will be attending when a key focus of the Junta is to stop corruption. Thought if they are serious they would attend and maybe learn how corruption has been brought under control in other countries.

Just a link to the corruption report summit in the UK.

http://www.transparency.org/cpi2015/#results-table

Out of 167 countries Thailand is #76. Not too good but certainly in the better half of it.

It is not really the closing down of the mine but the manner that the mine is being closed that is disturbing.This kind of abrupt arbitrary decision from a single source of power without proper assessment of the environment issues, no court orders and consideration of the thousands that will suddenly find themselves with no job are serious concerns for investors as well as infringing on human rights.

Whilst I appreciate your concern for the thousands of workers affected I don't have any sympathy for the companies or the investors at all. They are after all in business to make make but would they get away with unsafe working practices in for example in Australia?

I suspect that they would be shut down overnight and not allowed to re-open until after the site was totally cleared up and made safe.

Investors are simply gamblers and businesses are there to make money for the investors and shareholders. They would still make money if they worked to international standards and regulations but not as much.

What about the human rights of the local people who are affected by the poisonous toxins in the water supply.

What about the companies who use unsafe business practices and skimp on safety measures just to make even more profits?

Shouldn't they be punished and made to clear up the mess that THEY made?

Edited by billd766

Junta Orders All Gold Mines Shut Down
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14629427021462942729l.jpg
Representatives from 12 provinces across the country protest Sept. 22 at Government House in Bangkok, where they filed a complaint urging the junta chief to shut down all of Thailand’s gold mines.

BANGKOK — The military government yesterday ordered every gold mine in the country to shut down by the end of this year.

Communities in northern Thailand were celebrating victory Tuesday after they appeared to prevail in a long-running struggle with mine operators after the interim cabinet said it will revoke approval for gold mining and gold prospecting in the kingdom by the end of 2016.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1462942702

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-05-11

Whatever caused this decision to close mining in Thailand, it will very likely have a profound effect on the future foreign investment here.

If a simple stroke of a pen can close an industry that has been operating for years....employing hundreds locals and adding significantly to national and local coffers, then the same can happen to almost any industry.

The thought of this being a decision favouring Thai business people, certainly comes to mind as mentioned by Bangkokfrog above.

Don't worry TAT will release a statement "closure of the mine will have no effect on tourism"

Wasn't that an Australian mining company on the island of Bougainville that polluted the sh*t out of the island with their copper mine, and which eventually caused the islanders to shut down the mine and kick out the mining company? And wasn't that the same Australian mining company that then hired a small army of mercenaries to take back the mine? The mercenaries, however, got their asses kicked by the locals.

Now mr. Prayut next step for what really destroyes this once beautiful country, Stop the unlimited, uncontrolled burning of the forested areas. Beautiful nature disappears in no time. If you realize how many people get ill from that pollution. What we can see in Nan province is that you cannot plant back new young trees.

The Western mining companies generally play it by the rules, however if the rules are poorly laid out then this is where the problems start.

Few companies will do more than is required by the local laws.

Any links to further credible info on this mine, enviro problems, carelessness or corruption from management?

Whilst I appreciate your concern for the thousands of workers affected I don't have any sympathy for the companies or the investors at all. They are after all in business to make make but would they get away with unsafe working practices in for example in Australia?

I suspect that they would be shut down overnight and not allowed to re-open until after the site was totally cleared up and made safe.

Investors are simply gamblers and businesses are there to make money for the investors and shareholders. They would still make money if they worked to international standards and regulations but not as much.

What about the human rights of the local people who are affected by the poisonous toxins in the water supply.

What about the companies who use unsafe business practices and skimp on safety measures just to make even more profits?

Shouldn't they be punished and made to clear up the mess that THEY made?

I fully understand where you coming from and I have no sympathies for unethical behavior of mine operators. What I am commenting which is disturbing is the arbitrary decision making of one man without proper due diligence of the matter at hand.

The environmental problems are still disputed on both sides and even today Khaosod report state that the government have no scientific link of the issues and the company operation. There are 2 sides of the protestors and there seem more supporters than detractors. Most environmental complaints are on magnesium and arsenic which the company retaliated that no such heavy metals are used in the mining operation. There also are no attempts to test the earth around there for natural arsenic and magnesium. I am not speaking for the company but here lies the problem of a lack of a proper standard.

Cyanide is used but is not mentioned and company said it is used within international standard and the operation passed the yearly environmental assessment evaluation.

I am on a neutral stance but only feel that a rush and dictatorial style decision making is never the right decision making and seem to be playing to the people's gallery before the referendum.

Instead of telling us about the know clean record of Australian mining why don't you explain the known unclean record of Thai mining?

The Australians have no problems with safety issues when operating in Thailand it seems. They even call the Thai protestors stupid although it is proven that it is creating serious health issues for them.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-28/chatree-mine-causes-protests-in-thailand-after-poisoning-claims/7364976

I am a doctor. I have seen some of the comments on helath

They do not correlate with Mining Poisoning especially from this. There is no conclusive testing to show what else ins in the land or contamination from EATING the vegetables which can carry these so called TOXINS. Do not jump to the defence of something you and I cannot testify to. Do you know for CERTAIN the mines people are calling Thai stupid? If so they probably are correct!

I see the doctors here and chemists and people and I would not say they are an educated lot. this is clearly a set up.

ALL FARANGS OUT!

Are you not seeing the signs?

I see this in the Australian News

http://www.theage.com.au/business/mining-and-resources/thailand-to-close-all-gold-mine-operations-including-australian-chatree-20160511-gos8wa.html

Now as an aside but in the vein of what is behind this...

I was with my Thai partner in the Bangkok Bank in CHIANG MAI and I will not disclose what branch - but one with a MAJOR hold on foreigner accounts.

the THAI staff whom we are friendly with told US and HIM IN THAI that they have received a DIRECTIVE from the government that all banks must hand over the accounts details, amount of money, where income comes from and any information on ALL FOREIGNERS with Business, investments Joint accounts, joint or individual loans

Now why are they doing this I wonder? Freeze our money? And this story against a mining operation is another part of the jigsaw that is saying GET OUT!

Thailand is not welcome for us any more and I know, being here 4 years and business and its just getting beyond reasonable.

Look at the many posts here even from Old Timers questioning now.

Something is soon going to blow.

Interesting.

Article 44 can't be used?

And it is OK to "honor" certain obligations made by the previous governments?

Go back to the protests and you will find that the protesters claimed that they were threatened by men in uniform (camo). A couple of more brown envelopes to collect before they close these mines.

It seems strange they are going to shut all this down. If the intention is to clean up mining operations, then surely they would improve inspections and tighten up regulations? Instead they just close down operations?

Couple of things: Wheather or not this mining operation is clean or not clean is knowable. If people surrounding the operation are sick and the ground water is contaminated with waste by-products, then it is NOT clean as a matter of fact.

The behavior of companies engaged in mining and other "dirty" enterprises will vary directly with the quality of the environmental safeguards and the oversite and monitoring. It is not a surprise that this company has a good record in Australia as the laws and real-time monitoring and penalties combine to make it in the self-interest of the company to comply. If you think these things exist in Thailand, buy some lottery tickets as you are guaranteed to win.