Importing A Kangaroo

saraburioz

No use them as cray bait. They have been tenderised by the school leavers playing quokka soccer about this time of year, and the cray season is about to open. You will get more eating off the crays than the quokka. The good meat comes from the larger roos (tastes better too :o ), not the things the Dutch confused for rats a couple of centuries ago.

ahh ... ok, thanks for the additional tips...

:D

now, since we're on the subject of Australian meat products, how about wombat? Any good pointers or recipes for them?

Wombats are tough buggers, the truck drivers avoid the adults if they see one on the road. The driver that has made the mistake of running one over has some major repairs to do to the front-end and steering only to see the wombat disappear into the bush. Lots of explaining to the insurance company and the boss. :D

Recipes: Wombats are nocturnal vegetarian animals that live in holes in the ground they dig very efficiently. If you get near one do not try to pat them they bite and have very sharp, strong claws. If you manage to end up with a dead wombat try this.

Cut with chain saw, put into big pot, add veges, some spices and a boot or 2.

Boil for a day or three to tenderise.

Take out wombat and eat the boot, it will be easier to digest.

No use them as cray bait. They have been tenderised by the school leavers playing quokka soccer about this time of year, and the cray season is about to open. You will get more eating off the crays than the quokka. The good meat comes from the larger roos (tastes better too :o ), not the things the Dutch confused for rats a couple of centuries ago.

ahh ... ok, thanks for the additional tips...

:D

now, since we're on the subject of Australian meat products, how about wombat? Any good pointers or recipes for them?

Wombats are tough buggers, the truck drivers avoid the adults if they see one on the road. The driver that has made the mistake of running one over has some major repairs to do to the front-end and steering only to see the wombat disappear into the bush. Lots of explaining to the insurance company and the boss. :D

Recipes: Wombats are nocturnal vegetarian animals that live in holes in the ground they dig very efficiently. If you get near one do not try to pat them they bite and have very sharp, strong claws. If you manage to end up with a dead wombat try this.

Cut with chain saw, put into big pot, add veges, some spices and a boot or 2.

Boil for a day or three to tenderise.

Take out wombat and eat the boot, it will be easier to digest.

unappetizingwombat.jpg

post-2707-1163012354_thumb.jpg

Kangaroo Scrotum Bottle Opener

An Australian family favourite - the perfect bar accessory for anyone who likes to impress their mates with their toys.

This, is a genuine kangaroo scrotum folks, if you click on the picture to enlarge it you'll notice an abundance of hair... yes, the kangaroo has hairy balls too!

Only $25

:o

post-2707-1163013106_thumb.jpg

Kangaroo Paw Bottle Opener

I had one of these 40 years ago.

If you are old enough to remember Skippy, 2 of these were used when Skippy was supposed to pick something up. The camera shot was always tight, if you recall.

You never saw a long shot of Skippy picking something up. Sorry to kill the illusion. :D:D

Again, only $25 + P&P

Edited by udon

How did a penguin ever make money ?

Well, a lot of them seem to end up working in London, as bankers. They must be making some coin, you see them at the opera as well. :o

Actually, many animals like this which are lame, people pay money to go and look at them.

zoo = giraffe

Kelly Tarlton underwater world = penguin

etc.

Mind you, Aussie doesn't have that problem, you lot just play soccer with some of your beasties (quokkas); either that or sleep with them (the rest). :D:D

I always wondered why my mates would head out for the night chasing a bit of tail and later on complained about spending the night chasing the missus around the bedroom.

steveromagnino you’ve solved the riddle. :o:D:D

It is one thing to bring some roos in, even a quokka or two, but just make sure you all do your best to keep those bloody drop bears out of Thailand, they're the last thing we need.

This thread has been fascinatingly educational. Much appreciative to the Aussies on the board and I agree, I wouldn't want these in the neighborhood here:

Dropbear.jpg

Drop Bear

Description.

The Drop Bear is described as an arboreal, (tree dwelling) carnivorous marsupial of Australia, Phascolarctus Hodgsonii, growing to around 4 feet in height. Believed to have evolved from a similar line to koalas, Drop Bears vary from 3 to 5 feet in height, but are extremely strong. They are covered in a dense fur, which can range from almost black to the Alpine Drop Bear's snowy white coat. They have broad shoulders and razor sharp claws on all four limbs. They are able to walk for short distances on two legs, but are much faster on all four, being capable of bursts of speed approaching 60 km/h at full gallop. Their heads are similar to those of koalas, but with enlarged canine teeth, not unlike those of bears or other carnivorous animals.

One of my mates had some fun with a tourist yesterday. :o

Croc attack sparks cull call

A crocodile attack on a "silly" Belgian tourist has prompted new calls for a cull of the reptiles in Queensland.

The 24-year-old tourist ignored crocodile warnings signs, wading into a creek at Cape Tribulation and slapping the water to try to entice a crocodile closer for a better photograph.

But before the man could take a snap, the two-metre estuarine crocodile snapped first, quickly launching itself out of the water and biting him on the left knee.

"It lunged out and grabbed his knee and the worst part is he didn't get the photo," local doctor Kelly Lash told Fairfax, adding that the tourist should be a candidate for an award "for doing stupid things".

The Belgian was lucky, suffering more from shock than injury as the croc bite was treated at Mossman Hospital, north of Cairns. He was later released.

The crocodile in question will now be removed for safety reasons.

Townsville-based Liberal Senator Ian Macdonald (Macdonald) said while the tourist had been "silly", the latest incident demonstrated the need for a crocodile cull in populated areas.

"If you have crocodiles where there are tourists you really are inviting danger," Senator Macdonald said.

The Liberal Party last week passed a motion proposed by Senator Macdonald at its annual state convention in Brisbane for crocodile numbers to be reduced in populated areas.

The call came after crocodiles were spotted at The Strand in Townsville, forcing authorities to close the beach.

Senator Macdonald said croc numbers had returned to "sustainable levels" since hunting was banned in Queensland in 1972.

"I think there is value to be obtained from the cull of wild crocodiles in the form of meat (and) skins - much the same as we do for kangaroos," he said.

But Queensland Environment Minister Lindy Nelson-Carr said destroying a "prehistoric animal" which lived in Queensland was "nothing short of ridiculous".

She said most crocodile attacks occurred as a result of people behaving irresponsibly.

"This particular tourist behaved in a very foolish manner," she told AAP.

"We have good signage, we educate the public to be croc wise and most people who have faced a crocodile under serious circumstances, where they've lost their lives, have been irresponsible because they've been drinking (or) they've gone into the water of known crocodile habitats after 5pm."

Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service crocodile expert Dr Mark Read said there were two croc warning signs near the attack site.

He said the croc probably attacked because his territory had been invaded, or had viewed the tourist's tapping on the water as a "prey signal".

Dr Read said rangers would attempt to catch the croc, which would then be sold to a farm or licensed wildlife park.

There are an estimated 30,000 crocodiles in Queensland.

©AAP 2006

How embarassing to be a complete and utter stupid European tourist.

Please don't put us all in the same basket (case?), my nephew is emigrating to the land of Oz next year so a visit may be on the books via Thailand of course.... I also have an open invite from an old friend to visit Kangaroo Island... Could maybe pick up a couple of cheap ones... Supposedly they are running amok...

Skipinder gets funnier the more you watch it..

"It lunged out and grabbed his knee and the worst part is he didn't get the photo," local doctor Kelly Lash told Fairfax, adding that the tourist should be a candidate for an award "for doing stupid things".

Would be a strong candidate for a Darwin award but the croc wasn't big/fast/hungry enough so he survived. Still he now has a lifetime of bar brags to ponce drinks out of people with. "How I fought off a vicious man eating croc in the Australian outback. Corcodile Dundee? Pffffft, bluddy pooftah".

post-2707-1163012354_thumb.jpg

Kangaroo Scrotum Bottle Opener

An Australian family favourite - the perfect bar accessory for anyone who likes to impress their mates with their toys.

This, is a genuine kangaroo scrotum folks, if you click on the picture to enlarge it you'll notice an abundance of hair... yes, the kangaroo has hairy balls too!

Only $25

Oh my god that is so funny. Reminds me of the time my mum bought my ex boyfriend a genuine kangaroo scrotum money pouch for christmas as a joke. Now really, that isn't a joke, she did it. Being canadian, he didn't get it.

post-2707-1163013106_thumb.jpg

Kangaroo Paw Bottle Opener

I had one of these 40 years ago.

If you are old enough to remember Skippy, 2 of these were used when Skippy was supposed to pick something up. The camera shot was always tight, if you recall.

You never saw a long shot of Skippy picking something up. Sorry to kill the illusion. :D:D

Again, only $25 + P&P

I'm still laughing about the person who posted the comment about smuggling roo eggs in your bra.

HUH??????

What do the schools teach people these days? Did someone say 'roo egg omelette on another posting?? Sorry but that's too funny, are you guys from the same family, please tell me your not aussie. Still laughing...

scubaaussie have you heard of kangaroo feathers? The ones from their pouch. :o

We would sell them to yank tourists when I was a kid. They’re very rare and hard to collect you know. :D

hmm yes, just like the rare roo scales, you know the ones the baby roos shed shortly after hatching from the egg. If you can find a full specimen it fetchs in excess of 4000USD.

Hard to find, you need to go deep into roo territory armed only with a large magnifying glass and lot's of patience....

scubaaussie have you heard of kangaroo feathers? The ones from their pouch. :D

We would sell them to yank tourists when I was a kid. They’re very rare and hard to collect you know. :D

hmm yes, just like the rare roo scales, you know the ones the baby roos shed shortly after hatching from the egg. If you can find a full specimen it fetchs in excess of 4000USD.

Hard to find, you need to go deep into roo territory armed only with a large magnifying glass and lot's of patience....

Much like our Haggis stories of yesteryear...............did you know that Thai people like Haggis?.

It's true you know. (so that's two nationalities will eat it - progress after 700 years) :o

Cheers,

Couthy.

I want, or rather my wife wants, to import a kangaroo or two. Has anyone any experience in doing this, or can offer any advice?

We own nearly 5,000 rai of land in various parts of the country and she is thinking of setting up a zoo on one of the estates.

cant they swim here?

Thanks for the comments guys.

Had a good laugh :o

It was a serious post.

QUOTE(saraburioz @ 2006-11-07 10:22:09)

We own nearly 5,000 rai of land /.../

How did you managed that? We get nagged for owning more then 150 rai, according to some land-laws...

All in her name. Some people get hassled for having more than 1 rai, it all about who you are or know.

Had a good laugh :D

It was a serious post.

How did you managed that? We get nagged for owning more then 150 rai, according to some land-laws...

All in her name. Some people get hassled for having more than 1 rai, it all about who you are or know.

Where do these internet dreamers come from ?

Not so long ago you were complaining that you could not afford to send your kids to an international school, now you are one of the biggest landowners in Thailand..........

Then again, a man with your connections amongst the Thai Elite........... :o

Had a good laugh :D

It was a serious post.

Where do these internet dreamers come from ?

Not so long ago you were complaining that you could not afford to send your kids to an international school, now you are one of the biggest landowners in Thailand..........

Then again, a man with your connections amongst the Thai Elite........... :o

Just out of interest What has this got to do with the thread ???

• 10 months later...

What :o ? ?

Kangaroos don't belong in private zoos in Thailand. Are you aware of the well deserved reputation of such places throughout Asia ?

The poor roos will suffer badly during the trip as well as afterwards.

Get yourself a couple of Hello Kitty dolls until the whim passes.

What :o ? ?

Kangaroos don't belong in private zoos in Thailand. Are you aware of the well deserved reputation of such places throughout Asia ?

The poor roos will suffer badly during the trip as well as afterwards.

Get yourself a couple of Hello Kitty dolls until the whim passes.

by a kangaroo steak from the butchers ,cause thats where yhey'll end up if you bring them here :D