best method of internet on my tablet when travelling?

Clive

Hello everyone.
Could anyone please advise the best way of getting the interned (medium usage) when travelling around Thailand.
....and what are the costs of a package allowing tethering to my tablet...Thank you

Just use your mobile telephone as a hotspot and use any existing package you have or upgrade it to the required amount of data to allow for the additional usage,very cheap for 3/4G in Thailand.

Very simple.

Edited by stoneyboy

Our OP appears to be a visitor from the UK.

The above posts are correct, get a SIM at the airport with a pre-pay data package and you're good to go. Where are you planning to go, coverage by the various providers is different, a clue would help us suggest the best package?

Of course many (if not most) hotels have WiFi anyway, speed variable.

Our OP appears to be a visitor from the UK.

The above posts are correct, get a SIM at the airport with a pre-pay data package and you're good to go. Where are you planning to go, coverage by the various providers is different, a clue would help us suggest the best package?

Of course many (if not most) hotels have WiFi anyway, speed variable.

And if the OP is staying in the "tourist" areas, it seems that most little bars, restaurants even some massage places have free WiFi. Of course if you're spending time on buses / trains or in more remote areas, that doesn't always apply!

Crossy, i think the SIMs and packages available at the airport are rather more expensive than if you go to AIS/True/DTAC retail outlets, are they not?

OP - if you want to buy a SIM, take your passport - Thai law requires numbers to be registered to owners.

Edited by VBF

I checked some prices for simcard 4G for a tablet and the most expensive card was 800 a month for a few Gb data. It started at 300 or so.

Not sure if Thailand has 4G nationwide though. Also no idea if it's a mini-sim or not.

Edited by Thian

For how long will you be here? If long enough get a sim for either phone or tablet and get a B399 package from AIS, I found that they have the best signal in the country. For that amount you get unlimited internet as well as free wifi in malls and public spots.

For how long will you be here? If long enough get a sim for either phone or tablet and get a B399 package from AIS, I found that they have the best signal in the country. For that amount you get unlimited internet as well as free wifi in malls and public spots.

Unlimited..but afer 1.5 gb they cut you down to 64kbs which is ok for email only. Read the fine print

I'm with DTAC 399 a month gives fast internet but capped and squeezed after I think 1.5G.

However for 69 baht a month you can get WIFI in most shopping centres and on the sky train.

I don't need internet all the time so I use this.

I'm with DTAC 399 a month gives fast internet but capped and squeezed after I think 1.5G.

However for 69 baht a month you can get WIFI in most shopping centres and on the sky train.

DTAC 399 Baht plan is full speed up to 4.5 GB then metered down. Much more reliable than AIS in BKK anyway.

Unlimited..but afer 1.5 gb they cut you down to 64kbs which is ok for email only. Read the fine print
399 = 3gb

DTAC 399 Baht plan is full speed up to 4.5 GB then metered down. Much more reliable than AIS in BKK anyway.
never had a problem with AIS in bangkok

In some parts of bkk ais 3g was faster than true 4g, both tested on Samsung note 5's at various locations last year...

In some parts of bkk ais 3g was faster than true 4g, both tested on Samsung note 5's at various locations last year...

I don't think DTAC is all that fast.

It does me for what I want .

When I'm in the UK I have 3 network and that's OK.

Still not sold on all this 4g 3g nonsense.

Mates in Korea tell me their internet is super fast, pages load before you blink

Still haven't got that in Thailand or UK

Don't get me wrong you can watch videos on the go but you'd think when you click on a search the page would load in a nanosecond.

As a benchmark I use sanook.com

It's home page is full of graphics if it loads quick you've got fast net.

399 = 3gb

4.5 GB according to my DTAC app.

In the UK I use a dongle....

In Thailand you could use Wi-Fi hotspot or USB tethering (presuming you are on 4G it would be fast, but 3G is usable).

I used to connect my mobile to laptop years ago even when travelling on buses.

My current mobile package is a bit mean on the monthly data allowance so I might look at a data bolt-on before I was expecting to use more.

Thai phones don't get blocked wrt using Wi-Fi or tethering like they do in the USA where say say Verizon might even prevent it's use on their phones.

Edited by jacko45k

399 = 3gb
4.5 GB according to my DTAC app.
he is talking about AIS, not DTAC

Does you have a sim slot in your tablet ? I always (last 3 Years )Buy a 12 gb Card from ais At the AirPort , around 1000 bht , you also have them for phones. So you can call.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk