who would be the worst drivers in los

Worst drivers in LOS are the ones in the Ban Nok - regardless which rural Changwat we're talking about, they don't pay attention.

Bangkok licenses (drivers) are fine - just fast with a propensity to drive up your ass! laugh.png

Get rid of the ass and buy a car. Asses should be left in the paddock eating grass.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha there seems to be an old rift between Bangkok and Up-country even in driving skills.

We Bangkokians try to avoid the "baan nok" drivers, who consistently and stubbornly occupy the right most lane at all times, especially Toyota Vios and all pick-up trucks with 25 people in the back.

And if you see a car with a license plate from outside Bangkok approaching the "Easy Pass" booth, change lane, because chances are he cannot read and has no EasyPass.

A Bangkok car sometimes lets you change lanes, whereas a baan-nok driver accelerates as soon as you put the indicators, passes you with a horn and then merges to your lane in front of you.

Bangkok people will never understand up-country people and vice-versa.

To answer OP.

Here in Bangkok

1) Taxis

Busses

BMTA vans

2) generally the more expensive the car

3) pimped up medium priced vehicles

4) old heap of junk cars

Motorbikes are excluded on purpose. They are a different league altogether.

Sad to admit in 15 years in Bangkok I have adopted some bad habbits myself.

From 2-4, I would narrow these down to anybody who wants to prove himself to others. For 2 this includes people who spend half their income paying off a c class on finance, 3 is obvious and 4 are particularly those with brand name old cars (e.g. old Mercs etc).

I'll also add trucks with speed to the list, once they've got momentum, they just don't want to lose it. There's a hill in between Saraburi and Khorat which best illustrates this. As they approach with speed, they lose it up the hill and they start overtaking each other just to maintain that extra 15km/h up the hill which they lose about 5 seconds later anyway. Because of this the entire road comes to a virtual halt.

Edited by wprime

Haha there seems to be an old rift between Bangkok and Up-country even in driving skills.

We Bangkokians try to avoid the "baan nok" drivers, who consistently and stubbornly occupy the right most lane at all times, especially Toyota Vios and all pick-up trucks with 25 people in the back.

And if you see a car with a license plate from outside Bangkok approaching the "Easy Pass" booth, change lane, because chances are he cannot read and has no EasyPass.

A Bangkok car sometimes lets you change lanes, whereas a baan-nok driver accelerates as soon as you put the indicators, passes you with a horn and then merges to your lane in front of you.

. Just like San Francisco drivers never use turn signals, I don't use them here except passing, no one with let u in, unless they re on phone , there's always a gap as they yak on their telephones

To answer OP.

Here in Bangkok

1) Taxis

Busses

BMTA vans

2) generally the more expensive the car

3) pimped up medium priced vehicles

4) old heap of junk cars

Motorbikes are excluded on purpose. They are a different league altogether.

Sad to admit in 15 years in Bangkok I have adopted some bad habbits myself.

From 2-4, I would narrow these down to anybody who wants to prove himself to others. For 2 this includes people who spend half their income paying off a c class on finance, 3 is obvious and 4 are particularly those with brand name old cars (e.g. old Mercs etc).

I'll also add trucks with speed to the list, once they've got momentum, they just don't want to lose it. There's a hill in between Saraburi and Khorat which best illustrates this. As they approach with speed, they lose it up the hill and they start overtaking each other just to maintain that extra 15km/h up the hill which they lose about 5 seconds later anyway. Because of this the entire road comes to a virtual halt.

I know the hill well. Have seen lots of accidents there too.

Forgot to elaborate on Bangkok Taxis. Empty the crawl along streets and block all traffic by slowing down.

Occupied they do anything to get to the destination as quickly as possible. Cutting into lanes is one of the things I most dislike. We all wait for the same light to turn green. By cutting in at the front of the line, they make all others waiting longer.

Missing is in general some compassion for others.

Up country is 'Sleepy Town' Mrs Jas always reminds me to be extra careful whilst there.

no, sorry, i would rather be dead than bored.

as i wrote before, life - for me - is about living. at top speed, all the time. as if there is no tomorrow.

if i can not burn the candle at all three ends...

i love living here.

your reply and anger towards me is based on a mis - interpretation on your behalf:

living at top speed does not mean driving at top speed. you are assuming, extrapolating. if you have the brain you claim to have - learn to read before you try to tear others down. i don't even have a car good enough here in thailand to facilitate this.

my reply was to someone who posted that he would rather be bored than dead - i do not agree with that.

i like to live my life 'at top speed' because time stops for no one. i like to live every minute of it because the next one could be my last one.

do you really disagree with that?

i am a safe driver because i adjust my driving habits to the needs of the occasion. read my other posts.

the one who steadfastly observes the (his / her) rules can become a danger him / her - self.

i.e.: in the early days here i have stopped at zebra - crossings, thereby encouraging hesitant pedestrians to cross the road, only to observe them almost getting wiped out by others. so, who did the unsafe thing here?

i have been driving cars, motorcycles and trucks of all sizes since 1976 in 15 different countries, having 'clocked' up in the vicinity of 3 million kilometers with not one accident.

and you?

cheers

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

no question. many thai drivers lack basic driving skills. no proper education results in no proper skills.

but living with that is part of living here, part of the freedom we enjoy. it goes both ways.

i just love driving up here in issan, no red light cameras, no speed traps, no booze bus.

if i wanted to live and drive by 'western rules' - why would i have left?

have you ever driven a car in germany? try and get back to me after.

So does that mean you go thru red lights,speed and drink ?

And yes I have driven in Germany for a number of years

and just came back from holidays i's safer then anywhere

in Thailand including Issan

safer equates to boring.

the regulated driving in germany creates aggression and frustration. it makes germans run you over with their shopping trolleys in the supermarket instead.

yes, i do go through red lights when i am the only one parked in front of a light globe trying to cancel out my ability to make a proper judgment. the last time i got fined for that was in january 1977 - that either makes me very lucky or a good judge of circumstances.

and i do speed and i do drink - but not at the same time.

life is not about surviving, life is about living.

i am trying to learn how to be carefree and happy from my thai neighbors. unlearning how to drive 'safe' is just part of it.

Sir, you are a danger to the general public. One day your breaking of road safety laws will kill, maim, or injury somebody. My only hope it is yourself and not an innocent member of the public.

no, sir, i am not. the ones who are 'a danger to the public' are the 'rule followers', 'educators', the 'know - it - alls' who think that following the wording of a book replaces awareness, adaption, recognition and reaction.

i have driven all kinds of motor vehicles for more kilometers than you will probably ever do in your entire life.

what mandate do you have to judge me?

safer equates to boring.

the regulated driving in germany creates aggression and frustration. it makes germans run you over with their shopping trolleys in the supermarket instead.

yes, i do go through red lights when i am the only one parked in front of a light globe trying to cancel out my ability to make a proper judgment. the last time i got fined for that was in january 1977 - that either makes me very lucky or a good judge of circumstances.

i am trying to learn how to be carefree and happy from my thai neighbors. unlearning how to drive 'safe' is just part of it.

Sir, you are a danger to the general public. One day your breaking of road safety laws will kill, maim, or injury somebody. My only hope it is yourself and not an innocent member of the public.

no, sir, i am not. the ones who are 'a danger to the public' are the 'rule followers', 'educators', the 'know - it - alls' who think that following the wording of a book replaces awareness, adaption, recognition and reaction.

i have driven all kinds of motor vehicles for more kilometers than you will probably ever do in your entire life.

what mandate do you have to judge me?

The mandate of being a law abiding citizen who along with following the rules does not think they replace awareness, adaption, recognition and reaction which are all part of driving safely. You however think yourself above the law and should be removed from the road. Please inform your whereabouts via this forum at all times so that I can keep well away from you.

"my thai wife drives all the time and over many years have traveled all los

and when see a bkk number plate be aware

they will do anything to show you they own the road

never indicate

stop on road to hold up traffic

travel fast and cut in on you

and worst park behind you while they do there shopping so you have to waitto get out

grrrrr+ "

opalred, what province in thailand do you live in?

no question. many thai drivers lack basic driving skills. no proper education results in no proper skills.

but living with that is part of living here, part of the freedom we enjoy. it goes both ways.

i just love driving up here in issan, no red light cameras, no speed traps, no booze bus.

have you ever driven a car in germany?

Yes I do!!

Its still Top road for driver.

can ride in many place how much your car can

and its still be safety and legal ..

i LOVE German Road!!!

From my own experience its clear that Chiang Mai drivers are worse than those in Udon, who in turn are worse than those in Bangkok (except the taxi drivers of course).

I hear you be in Nigeria..

is it?

so for you not must be it big problem..

gigglem.gif

I'm sorry but statistics mean jack Sh*t. Real life experience means far more

statistic fro real LIFE.

And that is i look every day..

every day new drawings in chalk on the roads.

every trip to the 1500-2000 km. someone in the road ditch the broken car or motorbike and blood

From my own experience its clear that Chiang Mai drivers are worse than those in Udon, who in turn are worse than those in Bangkok (except the taxi drivers of course).

I hear you be in Nigeria..

is it?

so for you not must be it big problem..

gigglem.gif

Not unless Chiang Mai got blown over there in yesterday's storm.

It's gone so far that people are actually saying that thais know how to drive...

My nomination goes to the guy driving the remains of a pick-up, no lights, no brake lights, no number plate and belching black smoke on the 331 last night. I only managed to see him in time because of a cars headlights coming the other way.

Scary.

safer equates to boring.

safer equates to boring.

Not a very intelligent statement. Better bored in front of a red traffic light than dead in a cooling chamber of a hospital..

It's gone so far that people are actually saying that thais know how to drive...

My nomination goes to the guy driving the remains of a pick-up, no lights, no brake lights, no number plate and belching black smoke on the 331 last night. I only managed to see him in time because of a cars headlights coming the other way.

Scary.

When the time comes and an airborne Honda CBR 150 is heading toward your windshield, you'll understand that nothing is impossible.

Happened to me and only hitting the brakes prevented the bike coming through the windshield, killing my wife and/or me.

safer equates to boring.

safer equates to boring.

Not a very intelligent statement. Better bored in front of a red traffic light than dead in a cooling chamber of a hospital..

a matter of choice and judgment, not intelligence. you are a teacher? you should know the difference.

funny - in a somewhat perverted way - that the two people who most object to my statement of 'safe equates boring' on this forum seem to have been brought up in the same country as me.

can we agree to disagree? to end this?

cheers

Scary.

When the time comes and an airborne Honda CBR 150 is heading toward your windshield, you'll understand that nothing is impossible.

Happened to me and only hitting the brakes prevented the bike coming through the windshield, killing my wife and/or me.

Being a member of the Honda Flying Club, compliments of a taxi driver in UK, I can sort of relate to that.