What's in a Name?

ChrisKC

Are we Visitors or Guests? Well, to Immigration we are neither - we are aliens!

When we first came to Thailand we were Visiting the Country and we were Guests with a very nice family who Hosted us and took care of us. When we go anywhere we are Visiting and often a Guest at an hotel and then we go home or visit somewhere else and are guests in another hotel or a friends place.

This is not an accurate way to describe many people who actually live in Thailand and have no intention of going anywhere else. This is my situation and many others and the word I use for myself is: RESIDENT. I don't pretend I am Thai but having lived here for so long, the words Visitor or Guest do not differentiate me from a Tourist. I live in a house that I call home and I don't have a home anywhere else. All of my activities of daily living are similar to that in my home country and there I would be considered a resident. Now, I am NOT resident there; I think I am entitled to say I am (a) resident here in Thailand. Can I say that?

Apart from the obvious Immigration limitations, I cannot justify claiming as others, that there is a law for indigenous Thais and another for "aliens". I CAN sympathise that in some cases there is evidence for interpretation of the law being discriminatory but I myself have never come across it - apart from dual pricing at National Parks and Museums.

On a train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok my wife and I were exchanging pleasantries with a Thai policemen. On leaving us he said, "Thank you for using my Country!

The first time I saw the immigration line for "ALIENS" was in Japan during the seventies. Japanese one line, aliens the other.

I was shocked.

These days nothing surprises me.

I'm an alien in Thailand. But I live here, so I consider myself a RESIDENT when describing my situation to anybody other than the Immigration Department.

At the same time I'm a citizen of Great Britain, and a permanent resident of New Zealand. But guess what, even though I've lived for 50 years in NZ, I'm still an alien.

I could be a non-alien if I went to live in the UK, but that would be way down my list of preferred places of abode (just after Somalia).

Anyway, home is where you hang your hat irrespective of a technical/legal description used to describe one's status.

I mean, surely holding a Thai non-immigrant visa trumps holding a tourist visa doesn't it? whistling.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz

Where I live among my girlfriend’s family and neighbours for years, now speak fluent Thai, I know everyone, they know me, have used the same local shops since being here and know most of the business owners. And even through they all know me and have succeeded in blending in with everyone around here where no one seems to give me a second glance anymore, on occasions some still say to me; I have been here for a long time and when will I be returning to England? Not meaning they’re hinting at they don`t want me here, they just think that Farlangs can’t stay in Thailand for too long and eventually have to go back. I answer, no, I’m here forever hopefully and they always have a surprised look on their faces when I say that.

What’s in a name? I really don’t know. I see myself as part of the area where I live, same, same but different. How about we invent our own terminology for Farlangs that have made Thailand their home but are not actual citizens of this country? I think a good term for us is residenzs or resizens.

"inferior" .................well in their minds anyway

Whose the Thais? Or just about every other country in the world that uses the term "alien" to describe a non citizen resident living in their country. Alien means you are a resident so get over it. If you want a different title go through the process of getting PR or Thai citizenship (not that difficult) then you won't have to live with the overbearing burden of living your life being known as an alien. Fycks sake. Some of you people really need to get a life you really are a precious fragile little bunch aren't you.

Are we Visitors or Guests? Well, to Immigration we are neither - we are aliens!

When we first came to Thailand we were Visiting the Country and we were Guests with a very nice family who Hosted us and took care of us. When we go anywhere we are Visiting and often a Guest at an hotel and then we go home or visit somewhere else and are guests in another hotel or a friends place.

This is not an accurate way to describe many people who actually live in Thailand and have no intention of going anywhere else. This is my situation and many others and the word I use for myself is: RESIDENT. I don't pretend I am Thai but having lived here for so long, the words Visitor or Guest do not differentiate me from a Tourist. I live in a house that I call home and I don't have a home anywhere else. All of my activities of daily living are similar to that in my home country and there I would be considered a resident. Now, I am NOT resident there; I think I am entitled to say I am (a) resident here in Thailand. Can I say that?

Apart from the obvious Immigration limitations, I cannot justify claiming as others, that there is a law for indigenous Thais and another for "aliens". I CAN sympathise that in some cases there is evidence for interpretation of the law being discriminatory but I myself have never come across it - apart from dual pricing at National Parks and Museums.

On a train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok my wife and I were exchanging pleasantries with a Thai policemen. On leaving us he said, "Thank you for using my Country!

Jesus mate open a dictionary and check out the legal definition of alien. It means resident. Ok. Get over it

The Thai verb ใช้ means to use, spend, expend.

The Thai policeman was just trying to express the sentiment, 'Thank you for spending time in our country.'

No subtle message were being sent; his English skills just let him down.