Safety Traveling

amcab718

So i am planning a trip to Thailand, for a year soon. I will be visiting for three months and sorting out my residence and language visa situation during these months. My question is regarding travel safety. Now i have read a few points that should be clear to anyone traveling. Keep your bags closeby and attend to them, keep documents safe, when arriving at my destination keep away from shady places. (Being drinking out late, dark alleys, whatever you get the point).

But i have come across videos of some idiots and unlucky bastards getting caught with drugs in the airport, and also the Facebook8 that apparently wrote or said something that should not have been said. (Now when traveling abroad it is etiquette and a right thing to respect the host country's customs and rules and never break the law.)

Having noted these, what are some precautions that should be taken when traveling to Thailand. As i am moving for a year, i will be bringing two suitcases, a carry-on and a backpack. I am not a backpacker and don't like wearing the same crap every day.

Any advice, sarcasm, or whatever is welcome....Thanks guys. I ask because some of you may have traveled recently and would have updated advice and tips that sites may not have. Thanks in advance...Great Community!

Yeah figured that, @geronimo, just asking in case someone has heard of unusual stories, which sometimes help to keep a sharper eye on things. I don't do drugs and rarely drink. So i see myself doing fairly alright, and steering away from trouble.

You say your not a backpacker but will carry a backpack, be careful as you may get stereotyped into being a backpacker and get called gutter mouth names if you stay in the tourist/local ghetto areas.

Really, I'm sure you'll be fine, seems you have a good idea of what to do/not do.

No, i plan to stay away from ghettos, i am from New York. there are enough here to live near. While i do respect that people love to travel and follow their dreams. This is something i often see online, V-logs and blogs of backpackers living in these really messed up areas or rooms houses. etc. I just couldn't agree with that. When you experience a country, you should be able to experience it at its fullest without limits on housing and food. That is just horrible to me, why subject yourself to habitual torture in an estranged land. Again i tread carefully as i don't want to offend anyone. But really, i believe some of these gals/guys should save up some more money and then do that they want traveling. They always seem to encourage others to follow them, which i believe is a sign and not a good one. Although,i admit some are helpful, at least in knowing what to avoid and what to expect. so in that sense kudos to them, But lets keep in mind what the locals will believe of other tourists/expats, not good in my opinion. These images/stereotypes are some that should be broken by providing good examples of behavior and good attitude.

I was a backpacker once but never wore the same 'crap' everyday. But tarring everyone with the same brush, you'll do well here.

Safety: same as most places. Look like you know where you're going (no pulling maps out in the street), get a local SIM and enter emerg numbers (tourist police 1155, ambulance 1669), be guarded when anyone approaches you on the street (Thais are normally conservative unless selling/up to something), also lots of dodgy foreigners here, don't argue with Thais.

@daveAustin don't mean to tarnish backpackers, like i said a lot of the information they provide is helpful. What i have criticized I have done as a collective. After all, we are foreigners in a country, shouldn't the image / way a group collective presents themselves matter, specially in such a place where 'face' is something that obviously matters to locals and their culture. I am not saying that they are wrong, or that what they do is trashy/crappy or whatever. Just there are some that don't do well when traveling abroad and representing their countries. Which we all do, wether we intend to or not.

Thais certainly look down on 'backpackuur' and tend to see them as poor, dirty and to be avoided

Now there's an idea. Disguise yourself as a backpacker ... safe way to travel.

The most important thing is to get decent health insurance, which I'm sure you will, being the sort of person you are.

I agree with nausea. Get a decent health insurance that covers everything, including motorcycle/car hire. You will get sick and that is a 100% guarantee, not because you did anything but because of the change of location/foods/accidents. Thailand can be dangerous but so can anywhere else in the world, keep your wits about you, use the common sense your parents gave you and you will be fine.

You sound like a reasonable person.

Just use your head and common sense.

you should be fine.

Enjoy your visit....and don't worry so much.

millions visit every year and have no problems.

Like anywhere in the world, some are unlucky and have problems and some are stupid and have problems.

Be lucky and have fun.

It's an amazing place to experience for the first time!

Be careful with the Lady boi's, they are pickpockets on street , and on bahtbus in Pattaya , be respectful, but a firm no thanks should suffice, No Jetskiis, no gamble, no gold showing, Smile, No driving at night, Have Fun

Watch out for giant rats. I saw 2 on my last trip. They look like the size of a rabbit.

The rats will not bother you, they will just run past you and ignore you. I had one which trotted over my feet as I walked down Beach Road.

Keep copies of important documents: Passport, Driving Licence, Travel insurance etc somewhere safe. Maybe on an encrypted USB key, Dropbox, or something similar.

I keep a copy of all important documents online in an email which I can easily access from any computer and print off as require.

Police once required me to produce a document which I accessed from the police station and they read on the computer screen.

Edited by Bantex

The most important thing is to get decent health insurance, which I'm sure you will, being the sort of person you are.

I agree with nausea. Get a decent health insurance that covers everything, including motorcycle/car hire. You will get sick and that is a 100% guarantee, not because you did anything but because of the change of location/foods/accidents. Thailand can be dangerous but so can anywhere else in the world, keep your wits about you, use the common sense your parents gave you and you will be fine.

"You will get sick and that is a 100% guarantee". Depends on what you mean by getting sick, do you mean getting sick which happens to everyone

in any country, or do you mean something more serious. I have never had any illnesses in the ten years I have been here.