Fluctuating power

Hello,

For many months the power in my house is very fluctating to high volts with max until 270V

For my computer I use a UPS (from APC) and everytime I hear the UPS switch off and on because the high voltage.

So my computer and everything connected at the UPS is more or less safe.

But I'm worry about my audio equipment and other house apliances.

What kind of choice do I have, is the electricity company responsable or is it "my phen rai, or up to you"

I seaching on the internet to find a solution, but hard to find.

Are there other people with the same problems, I don't live on the islands, I live in the surrounding of Phetchaburi.

Any designation or solution is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

In a way you are lucky, 99.9% of the issues in this forum are chronic low voltage.

Many of us would like some of your spare volts.

In reality it suggests an overloaded transformer, PEA have upped the output tap to handle daytime (factory?) loads leading to excessive voltage when the load goes off in the evening.

It is worth talking to PEA, 270V is well outside the 10% they're supposed to maintain.

Voltage drops 'brown outs' cause damage to many electrical items.surge protector plugs only protect from high spikes and not sags or low voltage which can happen when the power supply is lost.i know this as I've had 2 TVs needing replacement power supply boards fitted even though I used surge protectors.its best if expensive electrical items are switched off and unplugged during times when you are likely to have outages.

Voltage drops 'brown outs' cause damage to many electrical items.surge protector plugs only protect from high spikes and not sags or low voltage which can happen when the power supply is lost.i know this as I've had 2 TVs needing replacement power supply boards fitted even though I used surge protectors.its best if expensive electrical items are switched off and unplugged during times when you are likely to have outages.

Indeed.

But how does this relate to AVRs??

In a way you are lucky, 99.9% of the issues in this forum are chronic low voltage.

Many of us would like some of your spare volts.

In reality it suggests an overloaded transformer, PEA have upped the output tap to handle daytime (factory?) loads leading to excessive voltage when the load goes off in the evening.

It is worth talking to PEA, 270V is well outside the 10% they're supposed to maintain.

Unfortenatly, I don't feel me realy lucky, at the moment I have problems with my poweramps, capacitors inside are working nearly at the rated power, you understand with more than 10% nominal voltage, the capacitors will blow up.

Also I wonder about more than 10 months age I suffered from the opposite and considered someone in the vicinity was using a heavy welding machine. That time the power drops with a regular interval.

yes I know about the tiny surge protectors, and even I have them hear in a box, but as you say it helps only against high spikes.

For sensitive kit you can get small AVRs for a few k Baht. Ask at your local electrical emporium for a "stabiliser".

Whilst 270V is alarming in a 220v country don't forget that some countries still have 240V (or even 250V) mains, 270V is only 12% over-voltage there. Your kit will (should) have been designed with this in mind, are the filter capacitors really approaching their rated voltages?

Actually, the mains transformer of your amp may have higher voltage settings by simply moving a link, worth a look.

For sensitive kit you can get small AVRs for a few k Baht. Ask at your local electrical emporium for a "stabiliser".

Whilst 270V is alarming in a 220v country don't forget that some countries still have 240V (or even 250V) mains, 270V is only 12% over-voltage there. Your kit will (should) have been designed with this in mind, are the filter capacitors really approaching their rated voltages?

Actually, the mains transformer of your amp may have higher voltage settings by simply moving a link, worth a look.

Thanks for the tip, yes I have to search for a local electrical shop to get more info about a stabalizer, maybe I can find in Hua-hin.

About the amps, I build it by myself, the power transformers don't have an extra tap and are designed for 220V, however in Europe, where I live before I got the same problems at the time the net changed from 220 to 230 volt.

As solution I used an extra power transformer and use a tap at the secundary winding in serie with the main transformer and bring the input to around 215, but there the 230V is very stable, and here I don't have an extra transformer to do the same.

Surge protector will automatically

Turn off power to an appliance if

Volts exceed safe level as set so

No damage is done to appliance.

You can purchase at electrical

Dept at Home Pro.

Got a link, if they are readily available here that is a bonus, I've never seen them in HomePro. I got mine from China.

Although I wouldn't call it a "surge protector" which is reserved for the device (a MOV) that kills fast, lightning induced surges. Should be an over / under voltage switch.

This sort of thing? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/40A-220V-Din-rail-automatic-reconnect-over-voltage-and-under-voltage-protection-protective-device-relay-adjustable/32488126807.html

HTB1J25xIFXXXXaYaXXXq6xXFXXXI.jpg

Dept at Home Pro.

Got a link, if they are readily available here that is a bonus, I've never seen them in HomePro.

Although I wouldn't call it a "surge protector" which is reserved for the device (a MOV) that kills fast, lightning induced surges. Should be an over / under voltage switch.

Funny, I wrote the same with different worths.

Dept at Home Pro.

Got a link, if they are readily available here that is a bonus, I've never seen them in HomePro. I got mine from China.

This sort of thing? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/40A-220V-Din-rail-automatic-reconnect-over-voltage-and-under-voltage-protection-protective-device-relay-adjustable/32488126807.html

HTB1J25xIFXXXXaYaXXXq6xXFXXXI.jpg

That's a nice one, exactly what I could use, if Home Pro don't have maybe Watsadu or it must be possible to find.

Thanks, Little Mary Sunshine, and Crossy.

I've used that AliExpress seller so I can vouch that they will send what you order.

China Post can be a bit slow mind sad.png

Yes, I ordered before at Aliexpress to, but it is only possible to pay by cc, I have Paypal, and try to find another shop, maybe Banggod or ebay.

However, thank you very much, I did not know this device exist.

Most modern quality equipment use switch mode power supplies which will usually work between 90 and 270 volt, these can handle power variations in general.

Indeed, I wouldn't normally worry about the occasional foray into the >260V region, but if it's there all the time ...

Those of us with legacy HiFi kit with nice quiet transformers don't have the luxury of 'universal' power supplies and need to turn to the alternatives.

I've used that AliExpress seller so I can vouch that they will send what you order.

Yes, I ordered before at Aliexpress to, but it is only possible to pay by cc, I have Paypal, and try to find another shop, maybe Banggod or ebay.

The same seller is on Ebay accepts PayPal smile.png

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40A-reconnect-over-and-under-voltage-protective-relay-with-adjustable-button-/252114004555?hash=item3ab32a6a4b

Excessive voltage causes Brown Out's not low voltage

The same seller is on Ebay accepts PayPal smile.png

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40A-reconnect-over-and-under-voltage-protective-relay-with-adjustable-button-/252114004555?hash=item3ab32a6a4b

Yeh, nice clap2.gif

Cost me 8,500 to repair an air on last week.

My maid saw the PEA bloke inspecting something near the house last Friday.

She said they said we can get a refund from the PEA.

I will try but I don't believe it.

Edited by Roomuck