Blackberry growing tips required

I am running some experiments growing various varieties of raspberry, blackberry and blueberry. I have never grown any of them before so I'm on a big learning curve.

I'm sure many of you guys have grown them back in your home countries, so please have a look at the following two photos:

post-86157-0-84062100-1463361604_thumb.j

post-86157-0-81584000-1463361626_thumb.j

The first blackberry seeme to be doing well on the main stem but I'm not sure what to do with the two lower stems with older leaves that are a bit dry. Should I leave them alone so they absorb some sun, or should I chop them off so the plant focuses on the main stem?

The second plant has a little bit of new growth low down on the main stem. Should I remove the branches/leaves higher up the plant?

Sorry, I can't help, but I love your idea of growing blackberries. I LOVE blackberries! May I ask: where did you get the seedlings?

I currently have a couple of Loch Ness and a couple of Karaka Black, both from the UK. If these varieties don't work then I will start looking to get a variety that grows well in Florida or Hawaii.

Sorry can't help specifically, thought the below pdf file may be useful although a little out of date.

http://www.bookstore.ksre.ksu.edu/pubs/mf720.pdf

I am wondering if the pots are too small.

Are the plants same age and from the same stock plant ?

Thanks for the link - that's a great document.

I bought the plants from a commercial plant supplier in the UK so I'm guessing they are the same age. I put them in those small pots so they could recover but now they doing well I guess I should give the a permanent home in the ground. Thanks for the reminder ;-)