When will you retire?

stander

So very clearly when reading up on the posting history of most boasting about retirement at age 40 to 50 al is a puf of hot air concerning financial securety.

A lot of the time, those

boasting about retiring at

39 or 45 or whatever are

talking guff. A lot of them

just have their finances

planned to the last cent.

They stretch something

like GBP50,000 (which is

about THB2.5 million and

just rent a house in the

middle of nowehere for

3k a month, eat street

food, drink cheap beer

and shag cheap women

and hope to hell they

don't get sick. Without

incident, that can sustain

you for 10 years if you're

spending 20k a month,

all-in but it isn't retirement,

it's a wing & a prayer

So they did not listen to the wise and arrogant words of that German klingon Naam......

where did that come from? ah, yes, i remember, he stepped on your shirt sleeves in some earlier post.

jealous? or you just dislike krauts? some people just do better than others, pal.

i know nothing about naam other than what he posted but he seems to have made a lot more out of nothing than many others out of a lot.

you do yourself no favor by displaying your inferiority in such blatant way - just another arrogant kraut's opinion...

But Manfred you choose to retire and live togheter and breed with people in Thailand so who are you to call people inferior or untermenschen as you people in Germania like to call others ,you crack me up reed up on your own posting history .......as clearly others can .

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So very clearly when reading up on the posting history of most boasting about retirement at age 40 to 50 al is a puf of hot air concerning financial securety.

A lot of the time, those

39 or 45 or whatever are

just have their finances

They stretch something

like GBP50,000 (which is

about THB2.5 million and

just rent a house in the

middle of nowehere for

3k a month, eat street

food, drink cheap beer

and shag cheap women

and hope to hell they

don't get sick. Without

spending 20k a month,

it's a wing & a prayer

how many of the tens of thousands retirees did you interview that you arrived at the conclusion "talking guff" and your assumption below? coffee1.gif

They stretch something

like GBP50,000 (which is

about THB2.5 million and

just rent a house in the

middle of nowehere for

3k a month, eat street

food, drink cheap beer

and shag cheap women

and hope to hell they

don't get sick.

@ sickwaterbuffalo2

"But Manfred you choose to retire and live togheter and breed with people in Thailand so who are you to call people inferior or untermenschen as you people in Germania like to call others ,you crack me up reed up on your own posting history .......as clearly others can ."

i was running out of quote allocations:

but i really wanted to reply to your post. did you or your parent generation have had some bad experiences with germans? mine did, too. and i did, as well.

as for the rest of your post, it makes just as little sense as many of your previous ones. read up on your own posting history - because others can.

i was running out of quote allocations:

but i really wanted to reply to your post. did you or your parent generation have had some bad experiences with germans? mine did, too. and i did, as well.

as for the rest of your post, it makes just as little sense as many of your previous ones. read up on your own posting history - because others can.

look at the name Manfred and think of the latin phrase "nomen est omen" gigglem.gif

Well I've been happy enough with my level of living for many years now but I'm now expecting that there will a harsh price for retiring early later. Maybe very harsh. At least have had a pleasant time when younger. I think whether you love your work or not makes a difference too. I hated it.

I felt same way. Retiring takes a good realistic plan and of course discipline. I have no regrets even though I have gone back and worked on and off. Work bores me. Just so much I would rather be off doing. But you know Jingthing, I'd rather have retired early versus the alternative of retiring later when your old and can't do things or become a grumpy old man with money whinging on a Forum everyday. LOL

A lot of the time, those

39 or 45 or whatever are

just have their finances

They stretch something

like GBP50,000 (which is

about THB2.5 million and

just rent a house in the

middle of nowehere for

3k a month, eat street

food, drink cheap beer

and shag cheap women

and hope to hell they

don't get sick. Without

spending 20k a month,

it's a wing & a prayer

how many of the tens of thousands retirees did you interview that you arrived at the conclusion "talking guff" and your assumption below? coffee1.gif

They stretch something

like GBP50,000 (which is

about THB2.5 million and

just rent a house in the

middle of nowehere for

3k a month, eat street

food, drink cheap beer

and shag cheap women

and hope to hell they

don't get sick.

I've spoken to plenty.

I've also read hundreds

of threads on TVF in

which these oh-so-smug

early 'retirees' who've

purported to be rolling in

it in one thread are

moaning about the rising

cost of living in a country

as dirt bloody cheap as

Thailand in another.

I don't care what you say,

most people don't retire

early in Thailand because

they're minted. They

'retire' early in Thailand

because they're hard up.

There's no shame in that

but don't strut around the

forum all smug like you've

achieved something that

some other mope couldn't

with a piffling GBP50k

I have a question for all in this thread, what is the age we are considering "retiring early" for point of discussion? 30, 40, 50 or before available to draw on a pension or SS?. Most consider "retiring early" as any age before pension or SS. In that case if you are a US citizen that would be 62.5 so if you retired at 62 you can still state you retired early...LOL

As for "retiring", some have planned it well and clearly invested so they can comfortably live in Thailand(or elsewhere for that matter). My wife and I planned this very carefully. I have only gone back to work on and off since mid 40's because it was my choice ( Plus some extra play money). There will always be the judgmental types that think the way others chose to live is unacceptable. I say more power to the individual that can get off the hamster wheel early and make a go at it. Its a heck of a lot better than being strapped to having to work.

As has been said over and over, Life is short. I have known many same age as me and a bit older that bought the farm before ever enjoying one day on their own terms. Along with that I have found the longer people work into their lives the worse they become at adapting to retirement later. They grew so accustomed to being controlled and managed that when they finally retire (by choice or force) they usually implode. Some even die shortly after as they no longer feel they have a purpose or value. Sad really.

I have a question for all in this thread, what is the age we are considering "retiring early" for point of discussion? 30, 40, 50 or before available to draw on a pension or SS?. Most consider "retiring early" as any age before pension or SS. In that case if you are a US citizen that would be 62.5 so if you retired at 62 you can still state you retired early...LOL

<snip>

As has been said over and over, Life is short. I have known many same age as me and a bit older that bought the farm before ever enjoying one day on their own terms. Along with that I have found the longer people work into their lives the worse they become at adapting to retirement later. They grew so accustomed to being controlled and managed that when they finally retire (by choice or force) they usually implode. Some even die shortly after as they no longer feel they have a purpose or value. Sad really.

All very good points.

I too, had a number of friends and colleagues who bought the farm before they reached 50, and this was one of the factors that came into play when deciding to retire early.

Also as a point of clarification, in the US, a person can begin drawing Social Security benefits at age 62 (not 62.5). The minimum age for distributions has remained unchanged for years, and was not affected by the moving window for full retirement age that was implemented a while back.

<snip>

All very good points.

I too, had a number of friends and colleagues who bought the farm before they reached 50, and this was one of the factors that came into play when deciding to retire early.

@DrDave,

Honestly that was my single biggest driver. I had a colleague who was about 7 years older than me at the time. He was 51. We were both Sr Mgrs at a large company. One day he came to work, was in his office and just collapsed. He was rushed to the hospital. He didn't die and had rushed heart surgery. Here is the really bad part. He was expected to be off 4 to 6 weeks. He didn't get the small picture. He was in debt like most and worried about all the bills and that at his age they would let him go and he would lose everything. So he hurried back to work. Well in the end he did lose everything. 2 weeks later he croaked at home. That was my wake up call and the big picture for me. So I got on a very focused mission to get out.

So when am I going to retire(answering the OP, I guess the day I can collect SS at 62. I am not close to SS age albeit 7.5 years might fly.. But am I able to not work... YES. I can work if I chose...or not. I have enjoyed my ~2 years on and ~2 years off routine since mid 40's. I am currently employed and working in Thailand right now. I am having fun, its a good challenge and I know at any time I can close up camp and be on my way.

Tried restiring (in the UK) at 40 & was climbing the walls after 3 months so did some freelance consulting before finding a role that gave me what I wanted (chance to work in different countries).

That landed me in Singapore for 6.5 years before the company tried to move me back to the UK so I retired (again) at 49 & lasted 1 year (travelling) before being offered a new role in Singapore.

Been back 3 months (50 now), not sure how long (anywhere between 2 more months & 3 years) it will be before "Retiring" again but next time it will be permanently (3rd time's a charm).

One thing my experiences have taught me is that being financially ready is only 1/2 the battle, you also need to be mentally prepared & have something to fill your days besides beer/bars/birds.

The key factor in me continually putting off retirement is the internet. The internet has made a huge difference to my working life, it's definitely help me spend more time doing the things I want to do, sport, hobbies and most importantly being able to spend more time with my family.

Now 45, work in IT in the UK.

My hope is to semi-retire to Thailand or SE Asia in 5 years time. For the first few years I'd plan to work for 3 months or so per year on contract (remotely or back home) to stop me needing to dip much into my savings (I won't take my company pension until 60 and have largely given up on seeing my UK state pension). My apartment is already paid for so would possibly look to rent that out to generate additional income as well.

Over the next few years, I should also be fortunate to be able to spend more time in Asia while I am still working as I can work remotely for my company for a few months per year as well as taking vacation.

I never wanted to work until I was too old to enjoy life (my dad dropped dead at 65 with a heart attack a few years after finishing) but after having a tumour removed last year, that sharpens the perspective even more. As someone else mentioned, you'll never wish you spent more time in the office..!

Can you not work and be happy?

Must you work for money to live?

Are you happier working or not working if you have those options?

Who cares what others have, how they retired, when they retired, etc....

These massively overweight, depressed, insecure sheep save all this money and then go on some tirade about others not working hard enough. blah, blah, blah...nobody has it all.... they save 10 billion and then get sick and can't walk a mile and drink all day......whatever...

I don't care what they have to say. I should be able to retire near 50, and i might. and i might not.

if i'm happy working, i'll work. if i can retire and be happier retired, i'll try that.

I'll hang it up this year at 66 after I finish my present assignment...I've had enough, and whereas before I useta enjoy working now it's an ordeal just to drag my arse outta bed in the morning...the money is nice to have but I'll get a small pension and got enough in savings to manage OK for the next 10 years, etc...

I probably woulda retired earlier but I didn't become 'gainfully employed' until I finshed the engineering program when I was 35...before that I was an itinerant logger and mechanic on the west coast, a history graduate but so what? I even useta chew tobacca...

I planned on staying employed so that I could offer the opportunity to attend college to my thai wife's family kids...but, the kids these days...and I gave up; more than once wanting to shake one of my beautiful nieces and to shout: 'whattsamatta wid ye??? yer beautiful and smart!!! don't ye wanna leave this dump and find a better life???'

but no matta...now there's lotsa nieces and their small children around who are a delight and things coulda been worse...makes sense to stay around here rather than some dump in the Middle East...

I retired as soon as I could afford it - at 38. smile.png

Please do tell how you retired at 38 ?

I could afford to. I had always saved at least half of what I earned, and I had made sound investments in property, which I then rented out. I've lived a comfortable life since then. I'm now 62 and enjoying life in Thailand.