Running LAN line from house to chalet/sala

cheeryble

Hi just built a chalet about 60m outside wall to outside wall from grandma's house where we normally stay.

Wife has a True package including internet TV and phone.....internet router and TV set up in grandma's.

I would like to run internet to the chalet which may be added to become our mini-house after some additions.

I have just dug up an unused N router with 4 ethernet sockets behind.

I read that LAN cables can work well for about 100m. distance and think to run from the True box to the older box placed in the chalet.

Add the indoor cabling to the 60m.....maybe 10-15 m? and some add-ons so we can hang on elec poles to keep it neat...... and I'm hoping can still be just about within 100m though I'm not sure where the cable coming from the street before the router fits in if it adds to signal loss.

I have got this article from a friend and using it as a basis so far:

http://www.labnol.org/software/add-router-to-wireless-network/19716/

I have got into the True router and have details available like subnet mask (which term I had no clue about until five minutes ago)

Can anyone comment on ANYTHING I need to consider.

Do I get the cable made up to length with ethernet plugs set on the ends (seem to remember a tool is needed?) or buy 100m?

Where good to buy.....and cost?

Anyone with experience about distance?

Sun on cable causes deterioration.......grade of cable?

Heard of Cat 5e.......relevant?

Thanks for any and all good advice it will make the chalet usable as a bit of the home a retreat from

Edited by cheeryble

This should be an interesting read for you:

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/cablingcat5/f/cat5outdoors.htm

Good information already!

Am wondering how long deterioration of a regular cheap LAN cable takes or if there is a better grade for running above ground.......burying would make a fair bit of work.

Instance if normal cheap LAN cable will last for two years outside strung across trees or wherever I'd be happy enough it would be a test and in a year or two when we knew it worked fine we could invest more time and effort to do properly.

It's a flat area with a huge tree some hundred yards away don't think lightning's a concern for this run apart from surge which anyone can get.

Edited by cheeryble

What ever you do, don't do this wink.png

we can hang on elec poles to keep it neat.

I found Cat 5E Outdoor Cable for you, but it's a 305 Meter Box:

http://i.nvade.it/1G8

Ps: I don't think cheap Lan cable will last 2 years here in the outdoors with full sun exposure.

Edited by MJCM

We can sell 100 m of heavy-duty outdoor Cat6 cable, can terminate it as well.

What would the price be Gregory?

Also....am thinking to connect the two boxes with a short LAN cable (maybe I already have one buried away) just to make sure I can get the set-up right before going further.

Have yu considered internet over power ? Plug box in at each end and eliminate the cabling ? Just a thought.

That could work only if the 2nd house gets it's power from the 1st house.

And what is the limitation , distance wise ?

Edit2: Found more interesting links regarding distance limitations

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wired-Adapters/Powerline-Adapter-Maximum-Range/td-p/592040

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r17057524-Range-of-Powerline-Ethernet

Edited by MJCM

What ever you do, don't do this wink.png

we can hang on elec poles to keep it neat.

I found Cat 5E Outdoor Cable for you, but it's a 305 Meter Box:

http://i.nvade.it/1G8

Ps: I don't think cheap Lan cable will last 2 years here in the outdoors with full sun exposure.

I've got cheap indoor cat 5E cable coming out of a hole in upstairs bedroom wall, slung over the roof and entering office downstairs through another hole in the wall. It's been there for nearly 2 years with no problems so far. Must be in full sun nearly all day.

@Mark123456

You are lucky, I left some (brand name) training shoes out near the garage (I forgot about them) and after 3-4 months I had to throw them away because the soles had the completely degraded.

Also in a 100 meter run on the ground, what do you think critters will do with the cable ? Leave it alone ? Sincerely doubt it. Conduit or shielded outdoor cable IMO, but of course it's up 2 the OP.

Edited by MJCM

The basic distance for LAN (I am assuming CAT 5 which is common in Thailand) is 90 meter plus two drops of 5 meter i.e. 100 meter. You can go further but in order to get the full performance you would need to condition the signal with a switch or accept a slightly reduced performance. If you could get CAT 7 that can go further but requires a lot more care when installing. CAT 7 is also a lot more expensive to buy.

I would recommend, if you can get it, to go for CAT 6 it is a better quality cable. Ideally get the cable terminated for you else you will need the termination tool and connectors. See if you can get them to check the made up cable as well.

Edited by gandalf12

<snip>

I would recommend, if you can get it, to go for CAT 6 it is a better quality cable. Ideally get the cable terminated for you else you will need the termination tool and connectors. See if you can get them to check the made up cable as well.

See Post #6.

We can sell 100 m of heavy-duty outdoor Cat6 cable, can terminate it as well.

What would the price be Gregory?

Also....am thinking to connect the two boxes with a short LAN cable (maybe I already have one buried away) just to make sure I can get the set-up right before going further.

Please contact me via PM, will check the price. Great idea to test first.

<snip>

See Post #6.

Good to see you can test the made up cable for the poster.

I've got cheap indoor cat 5E cable coming out of a hole in upstairs bedroom wall, slung over the roof and entering office downstairs through another hole in the wall. It's been there for nearly 2 years with no problems so far. Must be in full sun nearly all day.

This is worthwhile knowledge.

The reason is the True internet signal has been a bit unreliable cuts out occasionally for minutes or whatever.......anywya a bit stop start for some time been trying to get missus (it's her internet account she pays it in grandma's house) to call True out to get a reliable signal.

Point is if the True guys come out they may be .....err.....politely asked to run a LAN cable out to the chalet and job done.

Likelihood is they wold have plenty of regular LAN line on board but maybe not the special stuff.

If it lasted a year or two I'd be content and we'd know it would be worth spending more serious money on a permanent connection with all the frills.

One thing I wonder is if there is more loss with regular cheap cable because of the wire quality and if 100m still works well because we do need most of that distance.

@Mark123456

You are lucky, I left some (brand name) training shoes out near the garage (I forgot about them) and after 3-4 months I had to throw them away because the soles had the completely degraded.

Also in a 100 meter run on the ground, what do you think critters will do with the cable ? Leave it alone ? Sincerely doubt it. Conduit or shielded outdoor cable IMO, but of course it's up 2 the OP.

I didn't expect it to last this long either - I was planning to replace it with a higher quality cable designed for outdoor use and fix it to the exterior walls rather than just throw it over the roof but as it's still working I haven't got round to doing so yet. Actually, I thought outdoor cable would be more expensive than it is. I've seen 60m of outdoor Cat 5e cable on amazon for the equivalent of around 2,000 baht.

@Mark123456

I didn't expect it to last this long either - I was planning to replace it with a higher quality cable designed for outdoor use and fix it to the exterior walls rather than just throw it over the roof but as it's still working I haven't got round to doing so yet. Actually, I thought outdoor cable would be more expensive than it is. I've seen 60m of outdoor Cat 5e cable on amazon for the equivalent of around 2,000 baht.

You can get 305m of Outdoor Cat5e cable at InvadeIT at around 4290 THB (Link: http://i.nvade.it/1G8)

I would go for it, but I am a bit crazy whistling.gif as it comes to safety. I have electric cables all around the fence and not only are the electric cables NYY, which in itself already suitable for burying, but the NYY is in HDPE Conduit and buried 5-10cms under the ground along side the fence

%E0%B8%97%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%AD-HDPE-%E0%B8%

Ah just seen I missed a bunch of posts 11 onwards

Point taken about Cat 6 better quality that bears on my last post about signal quality I guess.

Contacting Gregory now he's back

ps MJCM sorry about slippers but I've also had soles fall apart likely a completely different compound.

Edited by cheeryble