Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Chelsea v Portsmouth

Chelsea will start with Nicolas Anelka on his own up front with Didier Drogba and Andriy Shevchenko still injured and Salomon Kalou at the Olympics.

Portugal internationals Jose Bosingwa and Deco are set to make their debuts.

Portsmouth include new signings Peter Crouch, Younes Kaboul and Jerome Thomas but Pedro Mendes has joined Rangers.

Sean Davis (hip), Glen Little, Noe Pamarot (both thigh), David Nugent and Linvoy Primus (both groin) are all out, but Kanu may be fit to be on the bench.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Bosingwa, Belletti, Terry, Carvalho, Alex, A Cole, J Cole, Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Deco, Mikel, Anelka, Wright-Phillips, Malouda, Pizarro, di Santo.

Portsmouth (from): James, Johnson, Campbell, Distin, Hreidarsson, Utaka, Diop, Diarra, Kranjcar, Defoe, Crouch, Lauren, Cranie, Kaboul, Thomas, Traore, Kanu, Mvuemba, Wilson, Ashdown.

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari on mercurial striker Nicolas Anelka:

"Anelka has looked good in training and will play as centre forward.

"He played well in the friendly matches but he is quiet. If you say 'good morning' to him he will say 'good morning' back but if you don't he won't say anything.

"We need to put fire in Anelka - tell him 'look Anelka, you are very good'. Maybe this will be the season for him."

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp on his squad:

"We are short of three players.

"We may have to sell another one [to raise the money to buy], but if another one goes that's another loan I need.

"There is no money left to spend. The owner has backed me and I can't fault him. There are still great players here. But we still are short of cover."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Chelsea take to the field for the first time for competitive action since the Champions League final defeat to Manchester United, and begin yet another new era - this time under Luiz Felipe Scolari.

The Londoners defend a 21-match unbeaten Premier League record.

Harry Redknapp's Portsmouth, who ended their season by winning the FA Cup, are aiming to end Chelsea's phenomenal undefeated home sequence, which now stands at 82 matches.

Pompey are battling to avoid a fifth successive league loss.

Portsmouth have dropped more points (29) lost more games (nine) and conceded more goals (20) to Chelsea than to any other club since gaining promotion to the Premier League in 2003.

It's now 53 years since Pompey last left Stamford Bridge with maximum points, courtesy of a 1-5 top flight triumph on 3 September 1955.

Distance between clubs: 70.2 miles (113 kilometres)

CLUB FORM

CHELSEA

2007-08 Premier League performance

Last season's finishing position: 2nd, two points behind champions Manchester United

1. One of 10 founder members of the Premier League competing this season.

2. One of seven ever-presents competing in their 17th Premier League campaign. The others are Arsenal, Aston Villa, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham.

3. Not finished outside the top five for six seasons.

4. Average Premier League finish: 6th (5.56)

5. Last season's total of 85 points was the highest ever runners-up tally in a 20-club Premier League.

6. Kept 63 clean sheets in 114 Premier League matches over the last three seasons (55%). Need one more to total 250 in Premier League history.

7. Looking to win their opening league fixture for the seventh year running. Not lost on the opening day since the 2-1 reverse, away to Coventry in 1998. Also, scored three goals in their first league matches in each of the last two seasons.

8. Won 15 and drawn six of their last 21 Premier League outings, since a 1-0 defeat away to Arsenal on 16 December 2007; their only loss in 31 league matches.

9. Own the best Premier League record in 2008 with 13 wins and five draws from 18 matches. Their 44 points is two more than Manchester United's return over the same period, and they remain the only top flight club yet to lose a league game in this calendar year.

10. Won 50 and drawn 18 of 68 at home in all competitions since the 1-2 defeat to Barcelona in the Champions League on 22 February 2006. Not lost a league game at the Bridge since the 1-2 reverse to Arsenal on 21 February 2004 (won 60, drawn 22). Not lost in 103 domestic matches in front of the home faithful if penalty shoot-outs are excluded.

PORTSMOUTH

2007-08 Premier League performance

Last season's finishing position: 8th

1. Embarking on their sixth successive Premier League campaign.

2. Last season was their best yet in this league. Their highest finish was accompanied by their best points total of 57.

3. Average Premier League finish: 13th (12.6)

4. Hoping to start on a winning note for the third time at their sixth attempt in this league.

5. Last season opened with a 2-2 draw, away to Derby. It was the only time in that campaign they dropped points from a winning position.

6. Ended last season's league programme with defeats against Manchester City (a), Blackburn (h), Middlesbrough (a) and Fulham (h); failing to score in the last three.

7. In danger of tumbling to five successive Premier League defeats for the first time since 12 December 2006. That sequence included a 0-2 home defeat by Chelsea.

8. Already lost a penalty shoot-out to Manchester United in the FA Community Shield at Wembley, after a goalless 90 minutes.

KEY PLAYER NOTES

CHELSEA

Frank LAMPARD was Chelsea's top scorer last season, with 20 goals - 10 in the Premier League.

Joe COLE was Chelsea's most used player last term, making 55 league and cup appearances for them.

PORTSMOUTH

BENJANI Mwaruwari, now a Manchester City player, was Portsmouth's top scorer last season with 12 Premier League goals.

David JAMES made the most league appearances for the club. He kept goal for all but the last three of Pompey's league games last term.

Jermain DEFOE needs a double to total 100 career league goals (West Ham, Bournemouth, Tottenham and Portsmouth).

If he plays:-

Peter CROUCH, who's returning to the south coast club, will reach the milestone of 150 career top-flight appearances (Aston Villa, Southampton and Liverpool).

Lassana DIARRA will be facing a former club. The 23 year old French midfielder made 31 appearances (13 in the league) for Chelsea between July 2005 and August 2007.

Glen JOHNSON will also be facing former team mates. The 23 year old England international made 40 league appearances and scored three goals in four seasons for the Londoners from July 2003.

HEAD TO HEAD

The only points Chelsea have dropped in their 10 Premier League matches with Portsmouth were in their most recent meeting in February, when they drew 1-1 at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea hold a 100% home Premier League record against Portsmouth.

Pompey have not taken a point away from the Bridge since the 3-3 draw in the old Second Division on 10 December 1988.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Chelsea 29 wins, Portsmouth 19, Draws 22

Prem: Chelsea 9 wins, Portsmouth 0, Draws 1

at Chelsea only

League (inc PL): Chelsea 17 wins, Portsmouth 6, Draws 12

Prem: Chelsea 5 wins, Portsmouth 0, Draws 0

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Chelsea 1-0 Portsmouth

25 August 2007 - Ref: Alan Wiley

Chelsea scorer: Lampard 31

REFEREE

Mike Dean (Wirral)

Just like watching Brazil :o

Chelsea 4-0 Portsmouth

Luiz Felipe Scolari's reign as Chelsea boss started in style with an impressive win against Portsmouth.

Joe Cole slid home Michael Ballack's pass after 12 minutes and Nicolas Anelka headed in Deco's cross from close range in the 26th minute.

Frank Lampard added the third from the spot on the stroke of half-time after Sylvain Distin handled.

And Deco crowned a superb Chelsea debut with a swerving shot from 25 yards a minute from the end.

Scolari hopes to bring a more attractive brand of football to Stamford Bridge - and his new charges certainly delivered in their first Premier League game.

But the display should also be placed in the context of a truly wretched performance from Harry Redknapp's side, who looked a shadow of the unit that had an impressive campaign last season.

Chelsea took only 12 minutes to score the first goal of the Scolari era, and it was perfectly fashioned as Ballack's pass with the outside of his foot found Joe Cole, who slid a finish beyond James.

Anelka almost added a second when he was denied by James after racing clear - but it was only a temporary reprieve for Portsmouth as the striker was on target after 26 minutes.

Jose Bosingwa's cross was retrieved by Deco, who was having an outstanding first half, and Anelka headed home with James stranded out of position.

Anelka's pace was proving too much for Portsmouth, and he shot narrowly wide after racing clear.

Chelsea lost Ballack to injury after 37 minutes, but his replacement Florent Malouda almost had an instant impact with a driven cross that flashed across the face of goal.

Portsmouth had a half-chance when Petr Cech was forced into a block from Niko Kranjcar, the Chelsea keeper recovering to block another effort from Peter Crouch.

Portsmouth were being totally outclassed, and the scoreline was given a more realistic appearance when Chelsea took a three-goal lead in the dying seconds of the opening period.

Distin handled Joe Cole's cross and Lampard beat James with ease form the spot.

Chelsea continued to press after the break, with both Anelka and Joe Cole only inches away from adding to Portsmouth's misery.

Little had been seen of Portsmouth's new strike force of Crouch and Jermain Defoe, but it finally showed glimpses of promise with 13 minutes left.

Crouch headed a long ball into Defoe's path, but he was stretching and steered his finish wide.

Chelsea deserved a fourth goal, and it was fitting that Deco got it with two minutes to go, firing in from 25 yards via the hands of James, who should have done better.

Owner Roman Abramovich was all smiles at the final whistle as he revelled in the first impressions created by his new manager.

Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari:

"I think the owner is happy, like the other fans.

"Portsmouth didn't think we would play like we did and we were more aggressive than last season. I think they were surprised by our team.

"I only give the players the freedom to play and allow them to express their style."

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp:

"You're not going to break into the top four. No-one is this year.

"Spurs have got a squad and can't even win at Middlesbrough, so you start forgetting about them.

"The top four are on another level. We've improved our standard in the last three or four years but, today, you step up into a different level."

Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa (Ferreira 83), Carvalho, Terry, Ashley Cole, Ballack (Malouda 38), Lampard, Obi, Deco, Joe Cole (Wright-Phillips 78), Anelka.

Subs Not Used: Hilario, Di Santo, Bridge, Alex.

Goals: Joe Cole 12, Anelka 26, Lampard 45 pen, Deco 89.

Portsmouth: James, Kaboul, Campbell, Distin, Hreidarsson, Johnson, Diarra (Mvuemba 68), Diop, Kranjcar (Thomas 73), Defoe, Crouch.

Subs Not Used: Ashdown, Lauren, Utaka, Cranie, Traore.

Booked: James.

Att: 41,468

Ref: Mike Dean (Wirral).

Aug 19th 2008

Transfer deadline extended - more time For Berbatov, Barry and the rest

The Premier League has confirmed the first transfer deadline of the season has been extended until 1 September.

The window is scheduled to close 24 hours earlier but, following normal league guidelines, it has been put back because August 31 falls on a Sunday.

The move has been agreed between the Premier League, Football League and Football Association.

Once the deadline passes, teams will then have to wait until January 2009 to sign players from other clubs.

Next Soccer Star

redrus

Terry appointed England captain :o

England coach Fabio Capello has named Chelsea's John Terry as his captain.

Defender Terry, 27, who succeeded David Beckham as skipper after the 2006 World Cup, was given the nod ahead of Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand.

The Chelsea skipper, who has won 44 England caps, begins his second stint as captain in Wednesday's friendly against the Czech Republic at Wembley.

"I think everybody realises it means the world to me to retain the armband," said Terry.

"To get the armband back is a huge achievement for me.

"I heard about an hour before the news conference, just after training. The manager called the whole squad together and told us as a whole.

"For me to get it above the likes of Rio Ferdinand and the other players in the squad is a great honour."

Terry admitted he was a little surprised when Capello selected him ahead of Ferdinand.

"I'd never given up on the armband and never will do," he stated.

"I'd heard the whispers that Rio had got the armband so I was a little bit shocked but I've got to make the most of it."

Terry added: "My target now is to qualify for the World Cup and that's the aim going forward."

Capello revealed Terry's "big personality" was the deciding factor.

"Rio, when he was captain, played very well - the same level as John," said the Italian.

"It was not easy for me to choose because they are very good players.

"The big personality of John was the reason I chose John but Rio is very important to the team."

Ferdinand has been named as vice-captain of the national team.

The centre-half was an inspirational figure for Chelsea during the 2007-08 campaign, although the season ended in disappointment.

Chelsea finished as runners-up in the battle for the Premier League title and Terry agonisingly missed a penalty in May's Champions League final shoot-out that would have given the Blues the trophy at

the expense of eventual winners Manchester United.

Capello has taken his time to choose who will wear the armband on a permanent basis, the decision coming eight months after he was appointed as McClaren's replacement.

Liverpool's Steven Gerrard captained the side in Capello's first friendly against Switzerland, Ferdinand for the defeat in France, Terry for the 2-0 win over the United States and David Beckham for the game against Trinidad and Tobago in June.

The Italian said all along he was trying out the players in the role and would make a permanent choice in time for the World Cup qualifiers.

I wish him all the best, he did try but it just didn't come off.

Shevchenko heads back to AC Milan

Chelsea striker Andriy Shevchenko is to re-join Italian side AC Milan after completing a medical on Monday.

The 31-year-old Ukrainian cost the Blues £30m in 2006 but has failed to make an impact in the Premier League.

Shevchenko is AC Milan's second-most prolific goalscorer of all-time with 127 goals from 208 games.

"Chelsea have agreed terms for Andriy Shevchenko to return to AC Milan," said Chelsea's website. "Details of the agreement will remain confidential."

Shevchenko failed to earn a regular spot in the first team at Chelsea following his move to Stamford Bridge, scoring just nine goals in 47 appearances.

His first season ended prematurely when he had hernia surgery, forcing the striker to miss the Champions League semi-final against Liverpool and the FA Cup final.

New Chelsea coach Luiz Felipe Scolari did not pick him for their first Premier League match of the campaign last weekend, prompting Milan to launch the latest in a string of attempts to bring the Ukraine international back to Italy.

AS Roma and Sampdoria also expressed an interest but returning to Milan was always his preferred choice.

"For me it's like winning the Champions League," Shevchenko told Italy's ANSA news agency. "There were complications but now everything is resolved I'm really happy."

Milan chief executive Adriano Galliani was overjoyed to re-sign Shevchenko.

"After a series of frenetic phone calls during the whole day, we reached an agreement with Chelsea," said Galliani.

"Tomorrow he will be in Milan, Monday he will undergo a medical and then sign a contract.

"We have managed to bring home a player who has scored the most goals in our shirt in the last 50 years."

Galliani had said earlier this week that talks over Shevchenko had stalled with Milan wanting a loan deal but Chelsea only interested in a permanent transfer.

The details of their eventual agreement remain confidential.

After buying Ronaldinho from Barcelona at the start of the close season, Milan had said they would not bring in any more players.

However, an injury to Marco Borriello, Alexandre Pato's stuttering form for Brazil at the Olympics and Filippo Inzaghi turning 35 have made the signing of another striker necessary.

"I have heard from Andriy about 48 times in the last three hours. Andriy made a mistake in leaving and I think after two years he has understood that this is his home," Galliani added.

"Now he has made economic sacrifices but at this point what counts is that he has come back to us."

Shevchenko began his career at Dynamo Kiev, winning five league titles and two national cups with the team between 1994-99.

He spent seven successful years at Milan, helping the Rossoneri clinch the 2002/03 Champions League 2003/04 Serie A title.

He was also named European Footballer of the Year in 2004.

However, he missed the penalty that gave Liverpool victory in the 2004/05 Champions League final.

The Serie A season kicks of 31 August with Milan due to host Bologna in their opening game.

A good start to the season so far. A shame it will all come crashing down around you when the mighty lillywhites come and get a result on the weekend. COYS!

Haha thanks for that, I'm not feeling great today but your comment has put a smile on my face! :o

Departing Shevchenko thanks fans

Andriy Shevchenko has thanked the Chelsea fans as he prepares to complete a return to AC Milan.

The 31-year-old Blues striker is in Italy having a medical after the two clubs agreed terms on a deal to take the Ukrainian back to the San Siro.

"I'm so very happy to be here," he told the Italian club's official website.

"At this special moment, I want to send a message to the Chelsea fans who have always made me feel their support. A heartfelt thank you for that."

Shevchenko, AC Milan's second-most prolific goalscorer of all-time, with 127 goals from 208 games, cost the Blues about £30m in 2006 but has failed to make an impact in the Premier League.

He was unable to hold down a regular spot in the first team at Chelsea, scoring only nine goals in 47 appearances, but is held in high regard by Milan's fans and staff.

Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani has expressed his joy at seeing the striker back at the San Siro and insists his return was not solely down to the club's owner Silvio Berlusconi.

"This is a family and we're all happy," he said.

"It's not true that only Silvio Berlusconi insisted that Andriy return. I've put my weight behind the cause too and I'm happy that in the end we've succeeded in bringing him home."

He added: "After a series of frenetic phone calls during the whole day, we reached an agreement with Chelsea.

"We have managed to bring home a player who has scored the most goals in our shirt in the last 50 years."

Shevchenko's first season at Stamford Bridge ended prematurely when he had hernia surgery, forcing the striker to miss the Champions League semi-final against Liverpool and the FA Cup final.

New Chelsea coach Luiz Felipe Scolari did not pick him for their first Premier League match of the campaign last weekend, prompting Milan to launch the latest in a string of attempts to re-sign the player.

AS Roma and Sampdoria also expressed an interest but returning to Milan was always Shevchenko's preferred choice.

"For me, it's like winning the Champions League," Shevchenko told Italy's ANSA news agency. "There were complications but now everything is resolved I'm really happy."

Galliani had said earlier this week that talks over Shevchenko had stalled, with Milan wanting a loan deal but Chelsea only interested in a permanent transfer.

The details of their eventual agreement remain confidential.

After buying Brazil playmaker Ronaldinho from Barcelona at the start of the close season, Milan had said they would not bring in any more players.

However, an injury to Marco Borriello, Alexandre Pato's stuttering form for Brazil at the Olympics and Filippo Inzaghi turning 35 have made the signing of another striker necessary.

"I have heard from Andriy about 48 times in the last three hours. Andriy made a mistake in leaving and I think after two years he has understood that this is his home," added Galliani.

"Now he has made economic sacrifices but at this point what counts is that he has come back to us."

Wigan 0-1 Chelsea

A disappointing Chelsea held off a determined Wigan to grind out a win courtesy of Deco's 25-yard free-kick.

The midfielder scored after just three minutes when he found the top corner after Lee Cattermole had handled.

But Wigan hit back and Blues keeper Petr Cech had to pull off smart saves to keep out shots from Wilson Palacios and Amr Zaki.

Chelsea struggled for form but held on for a win as Cech again rescued them by keeping out a late Olivier Kapo strike.

The Blues had steamrollered Portsmouth 4-0 in their season-opener last week and Wigan seemed in danger of a similar fate after conceding an early lead.

Wigan keeper Mike Pollitt, who was a late promotion to the starting line-up following an injury to Chris Kirkland in the pre-match warm-up, may have been disappointed not to have kept Deco's effort out.

But Chelsea were uninspiring overall and the goal proved to be a rare moment of quality from the visitors. In contrast, Wigan were galvanised by going behind and responded by taking the game to Chelsea.

Latics left winger Palacios gave Chelsea a taste of things to come when he wriggled his way past Jose Bosingwa and angled in a drive, which Cech blocked away.

Jason Koumas then showed his eye for a pass when he played Zaki through on goal but the Welshman's well-struck shot was parried by Cech.

The loose ball just evaded the on-rushing Emile Heskey, who would have had the simple task of sidefooting in if Cech's save had rolled into his path.

Cech pushed Emmerson Boyce at a corner and escaped conceding a penalty and, although Ricardo Carvalho headed over at the other end, Chelsea struggled to match the tempo of the JJB Stadium side.

Wigan's quick passing and a clever Palacios backheel gave Zaki another sight of goal and Cech had to save well to keep out his shot.

The Latics' failed to carry their early enthusiasm into the second half as Chelsea nullified their threat..

Wigan grabbed a late equaliser to damage Chelsea's title push towards the end of last season but a goal proved elusive this time around.

The home side did manage to work an 88th-minute chance when Kapo unleashed a long-range strike, but Cech again saved his side by steering the ball wide.

Wigan boss Steve Bruce:

"The top teams only lose two or three games a season and we have missed an outstanding chance.

"Chelsea have had a bad day in my opinion, but one piece of brilliance by Deco has won it for them.

"Our keeper has hardly had a save to make. My players gave me everything they had apart from a goal."

Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari:

"Deco is an intelligent boy. Why is he one of the best in the world? Because he is very clever. It was a very good goal.

"We didn't play well because we didn't pressure Wigan.

"This is my first test away from Stamford Bridge. What I expected I saw out on the field. In England you never say first versus last is easy."

Wigan: Pollitt, Melchiot (Camara 85), Boyce, Bramble, Figueroa, Valencia, Cattermole, Palacios (Kapo 80), Koumas (De Ridder 46), Heskey, Zaki.

Subs Not Used: Nash, Sibierski, Kilbane, Brown.

Booked: Cattermole.

Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa, Carvalho, Terry, Ashley Cole (Bridge 83), Ballack, Essien, Lampard, Deco, Anelka (Malouda 89), Joe Cole (Kalou 58).

Subs Not Used: Hilario, Ivanovic, Alex, Belletti.

Booked: Terry, Carvalho.

Goals: Deco 4.

Att: 18,139

Ref: Alan Wiley (Staffordshire).

A good start to the season so far. A shame it will all come crashing down around you when the mighty lillywhites come and get a result on the weekend. COYS!

Keep living that dream fella! I'm sure you don't need to be reminded when Spuds last won @ the Bridge :o

We beat you last season albeit at WHL so now the next step is to come to your place and beat you there...it would be a typical Spurs season...lose to 2 teams we expected to beat and then beat a team that everyone expects us to lose against.

Typical Spuds is more like, have another great pre-season, fool your fans that finally you have a group of players that have gelled & can achieve a great Prem season, then opening day comes & the results don't follow... must be disapointing for you to watch the likes of Keane & Berbs ask for transfers to leave to a big club!

We beat you last season albeit at WHL so now the next step is to come to your place and beat you there...it would be a typical Spurs season...lose to 2 teams we expected to beat and then beat a team that everyone expects us to lose against.

Your not gona beat us at home mate, we will beat you 3-1 and that goal will be a late conciliation. Even my season ticket Spurs mates

won't be watching the game on Sunday, afraid they will be shown a lesson in football. :o

This just goes to show what a complete <deleted> Kenyon is! :o

Kenyon - Sheva was a success

Peter Kenyon believes Andriy Shevchenko provided value for money during his time at Chelsea.

The Blues chief executive was defending accusations that the recently departed Ukrainian striker had proved to be an expensive flop at Stamford Bridge.

The 31-year-old arrived in England for £30million back in 2006, bringing with him a reputation as Europe's most feared hit-man.

Nine goals in almost 50 appearances would not appear to represent a sound return on the considerable investment paid out by the Londoners, and he has returned to former club AC Milan with a point to prove.

However, Kenyon insists Shevchenko should not be labelled as a failure as he fulfilled his duties at the club.

"I get fed up because it's not right," he said.

"I'm not giving a lesson on accountancy, but you do write money off over the term of a contract.

"What we pay is in an investment. During that period you have a player who is doing a job and in this industry you buy and sell players."

Kenyon accepts that some deals turn out better than others, citing the summer signing of Portuguese playmaker Deco as an example of how to bring in quality acquisitions at a sensible price.

"You have to look at these things pragmatically, sometimes these things don't work as well as you want them to," he added.

"Remember, we got Deco for £8million and that looks to be the buy of the season.

"You have got to counter theses things and we are happy with where we are."

Man City re-sign Wright-Phillips

Manchester City have completed the signing of their former winger Shaun Wright-Phillips from Chelsea.

England's Wright-Phillips, 26, has signed a four-year contract at the City of Manchester Stadium having rejoined for an undisclosed fee.

He told the club's website: "Obviously I'm delighted to come back to City and I can't wait to get started again."

Manager Mark Hughes added: "I've always admired Shaun and he's been a target of mine since I came to the club."

Wright-Phillips left City to join Chelsea for £21m in July 2005, but struggled to hold down a regular place in his three years in London.

He made only 43 Premier League starts, scoring four times, as he fell out of England reckoning too.

"To actually secure the deal and bring Shaun back home is a fantastic coup for us," said Hughes.

"I'm sure the supporters will be just as excited as we are to have him back at Manchester City."

In his previous spell at City, Wright-Phillips made 181 appearances and scored 31 times.

He is expected to be presented to the media at a press conference at the City of Manchester Stadium tomorrow.

This just goes to show what a complete <deleted> Kenyon is! :o

Kenyon - Sheva was a success

Peter Kenyon believes Andriy Shevchenko provided value for money during his time at Chelsea.

The Blues chief executive was defending accusations that the recently departed Ukrainian striker had proved to be an expensive flop at Stamford Bridge.

The 31-year-old arrived in England for £30million back in 2006, bringing with him a reputation as Europe's most feared hit-man.

Nine goals in almost 50 appearances would not appear to represent a sound return on the considerable investment paid out by the Londoners, and he has returned to former club AC Milan with a point to prove.

However, Kenyon insists Shevchenko should not be labelled as a failure as he fulfilled his duties at the club.

"I get fed up because it's not right," he said.

"I'm not giving a lesson on accountancy, but you do write money off over the term of a contract.

"What we pay is in an investment. During that period you have a player who is doing a job and in this industry you buy and sell players."

Kenyon accepts that some deals turn out better than others, citing the summer signing of Portuguese playmaker Deco as an example of how to bring in quality acquisitions at a sensible price.

"You have to look at these things pragmatically, sometimes these things don't work as well as you want them to," he added.

"Remember, we got Deco for £8million and that looks to be the buy of the season.

"You have got to counter theses things and we are happy with where we are."

Why can't Kenyon just say Shev was not one of our better investments, and to say Deco is the buy of the season is a bit pre-mature, albeit he has started well. Let's see how he holds up under the heavy schedule, tougher competition and balmy weather in the UK most of the year.

Let's see how he holds up under the heavy schedule, tougher competition and balmy weather in the UK most of the year.

& when the delicate defenders of Stoke, Hull & the rest of the cloggers have kicked seven shades out of him !!! :o

Should slow him down abit !!

Let's see how he holds up under the heavy schedule, tougher competition and balmy weather in the UK most of the year.

& when the delicate defenders of Stoke, Hull & the rest of the cloggers have kicked seven shades out of him !!! :o

Should slow him down abit !!

Too be fair when watching Deco play for Barca he was going down a bit too easy, so when we signed him I was thinking oh no not another diving cheat like Drogba but Deco has hit the ground running in the premiership, I think he has surprised a lot of people of how quickly he has settled. Watching him during pre-season he wasn't pulling out of any challenges.

I'm sure he will be well aware of how the smaller clubs will try to chop away at him. Its only early days but I'm very impressed, comparing him with the legend Zola is a bit premature but the feeling down the Bridge is this little man could be our new magician. :D

Jose reveals Chelsea regret

Jose Mourinho admits he regrets not leaving Chelsea sooner having been offered the opportunity to quit the club after their FA Cup final victory over Manchester United last year.

His relationship with the club's board soured just a few months later and in September he left his role at Stamford Bridge by mutual consent.

Mourinho makes his return to management this season with Inter Milan but after spending much of last term in the wilderness, the Portuguese concedes he made a wrong decision with regards his Chelsea exit.

Speaking in a video released by Ford's FeelFootball.com, Mourinho said: "If there is a moment in my career where I regret a decision it was clearly the day after the FA Cup final - when my agent told me 'Club X' want you tomorrow and I told him no, I love it here and I don't want to go, I want to stay.

"That's the moment I regret. After that day, after that final, I should (have left) Chelsea and I would have the chance in Wembley to say goodbye to the fans and to say goodbye to English football.

"So that's a moment I regret because the next season lasted only a couple of months."

Mourinho, who led Chelsea to their first league title in 50 years in 2005 and built a strong rapport with the fans during three seasons at the club, insists he has only fond memories of his time in the capital.

"I only have friends in Chelsea and I have problems with nobody - but if I stayed there one, two, three, four more weeks probably in this moment I wouldn't say this.

"I love that club, I'm in the history of that club and I left the club in the right moment to feel like that and to say that honestly.

"So it was the right moment to do it. But clearly if I regret one decision in my career it's that decision of staying in Chelsea not one more season, staying in Chelsea a few more months."

Not a good day at the office

Chelsea 1-1 Tottenham

A resolute Tottenham earned their first point of the season as they held a frustrated Chelsea to a draw.

Michael Essien hit the bar for Chelsea before they went ahead from a disputed corner after Darren Bent's sliced clearance went in off Juliano Belletti.

But Bent atoned when he slotted in the equaliser after inadvertently being played in by Chelsea's Frank Lampard.

The home side dominated possession in search of a winner but Spurs repelled their attacks to hold on for a draw.

Spurs last won at Stamford Bridge in February 1990 and their prospects of changing that appeared slim as they went into the match having lost their first two Premier League games of the season.

The dark cloud of absent striker Dimitar Berbatov continued to hang over the side but facing London neighbours Chelsea appeared to focus their minds.

In the initial sparring, the visitors acquitted themselves in an organised and disciplined manner and limited Chelsea to shots from distance.

Lampard was the home side's main threat early on as he tried his luck from range on several occasions.

He came closest when he ran on to Joe Cole's dummy and produced an exquisite chip which the backtracking keeper Heurelho Gomes fantastically tipped over the bar.

Almost immediately, Spurs went close as Giovanni dos Santos pulled the ball back for Bent, whose shot was deflected wide.

But, slowly and surely, Chelsea upped the pace and put the visitors defence under increasing pressure.

Essien crashed a shot against the visitors' crossbar before Spurs finally buckled.

Spurs argued at the award of a Chelsea corner as they believed Joe Cole was offside when Essien took his shot prior to Jonathan Woodgate heading the ball out.

Their discontent was compounded when Bent's miskicked clearance went in off Belletti.

The goal briefly unsettled Spurs but they were given a lifeline when a Luka Modric pass wide struck Lampard and played Bent through on goal.

He slotted through the legs of keeper Petr Cech for an unlikely equaliser on the stroke of half-time.

Chelsea continued to pen their rivals back after the break and Ashley Cole fizzed an angled shot wide.

But Chelsea rarely looked like turning their dominance into a winner as Spurs defended in numbers and comfortably soaked up the Blues pressure.

Chelsea have been linked with Robinho and, on this evidence, need the creativity the Brazilian offers as they dropped their first points of the season.

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari:

"A draw for me is a normal result because we had more chances but made mistakes in the final shot.

"I think we need to respect Tottenham and the quality they have. They put eight or nine players at the back and it is difficult to create.

"I told the players a draw is ok but we need to work the ball more. If they make a mistake it is not a problem."

Tottenham assistant manager Gus Poyet:

"After two defeats we needed to start making points.

"The lads realise if we concentrate and if we believe in ourselves we can play like we did and get a point which is very important to us.

"Before going to the international break the key was getting this point and getting everybody to believe a little bit more in the team."

Chelsea: Cech, Belletti (Kalou 75), Carvalho, Terry, Ashley Cole, Bosingwa, Essien, Lampard, Joe Cole (Malouda 65), Deco, Anelka (Di Santo 88).

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Bridge, Ferreira, Alex.

Booked: Deco, Joe Cole, Bosingwa.

Goals: Belletti 28.

Tottenham: Gomes, Zokora, Woodgate, King, Gunter (Huddlestone 62), Bentley (O'Hara 72), Jenas, Modric, Bale, Giovani (Lennon 59), Bent.

Subs Not Used: Cesar, Gilberto, Dawson, Assou-Ekotto.

Goals: Bent 45.

Att: 41,790

Ref: Howard Webb (S Yorkshire).

Robhino to Man City as well :D:o

They can have him, we got rid of SWP and he is just the same player, Robinho is unproven in the Premiership, will be interesting to see if he plays next weekend when we play City.

I sense sour grapes there Seapok. The majority of the biggest players in the world are unproven in the Premiership.

They can have him, we got rid of SWP and he is just the same player, Robinho is unproven in the Premiership, will be interesting to see if he plays next weekend when we play City.

I sense sour grapes there Seapok. The majority of the biggest players in the world are unproven in the Premiership.

& some...:D

Seapok, did you buy one of those Chelsea Shirts with Robinho on the back that they were selling last week at the Bridge ?? :D

& i'm not on a wind up here, they really were selling them..

Kenyon to get sacked because of this farce or what ??

In his own TV press conference ,in last week or so, Robinho said his DREAM was to play for Chelsea and join up with his coach Scholari. Can you believe anything these guys say ? Maybe Robinho thought he was going to the other Manchester side . He doesnt come across as being particularly bright and he wears his cap back to front a sure sign of immaturity!!!!!!

In his own TV press conference ,in last week or so, Robinho said his DREAM was to play for Chelsea and join up with his coach Scholari. Can you believe anything these guys say ? Maybe Robinho thought he was going to the other Manchester side . He doesnt come across as being particularly bright and he wears his cap back to front a sure sign of immaturity!!!!!!

You can't believe anything any of them say Mate, they're all Whores in today's World of Modern Football.