Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

A tricky away game for us, looks like Middlesbrough will have a game with Everton then, eh Singh? :o

FA Cup quarter-final draw

Blackburn Rovers or Coventry City v Chelsea

Swansea City or Fulham v Manchester United

Cardiff City Arsenal v Sheffield United or Hull City

Everton v West Ham United or Middlesbrough

A tricky away game for us, looks like Middlesbrough will have a game with Everton then, eh Singh? :o

FA Cup quarter-final draw

Blackburn Rovers or Coventry City v Chelsea

Swansea City or Fulham v Manchester United

Cardiff City Arsenal v Sheffield United or Hull City

Everton v West Ham United or Middlesbrough

I was close enough, saying we'd get a Team in Blue in a Poverty stricken part of the Country...

Not a very good draw for us really but who knows, go to be in it to win it... :D

This sounds good, we really do need a bit of a shake up!

Hiddink could turn to youth

New Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink has hinted that he could be prepared to promote young faces to reinvigorate the first-team squad at Stamford Bridge.

Hiddink has taken over at the Premier League outfit on a temporary basis until the end of the season following the sacking of Luiz Felipe Scolari.

Rumour has suggested that the Dutchman - who is also manager of Russia - faces a battle to mould a divided dressing room in West London, while critics have also implied that the Blues possess an ageing squad.

And Hiddink has indicated that he does not see age as a barrier as he prepares to solve Chelsea's problems.

Speaking to Chelsea TV while watching the club's reserve team play Portsmouth on Monday, Hiddink said: "It is good to see if there are some young players who might be very interesting for the near future.

"Even if you are a big club and if the first team is settled, you must always create space for youngsters.

"There are always promising youngsters and that is why you have to keep an eye on them.

"(First-team assistant) Ray Wilkins and I are always talking about this. If they (young players) are well, they are always committed.

"If they have the quality to come in, we do not hesitate to do so."

CHELSEA 6 PORTSMOUTH 0 (Reserves)

Chelsea reserves produced a fantastic performance at Griffin Park this evening, thrashing Portsmouth in a six-goal thriller.

Goals from Franco Di Santo, Ricardo Quaresma, Jacob Mellis and Frank Nouble all added to the emphatic victory which took place in front of a watchful Guus Hiddink and Roman Abramovich.

Paul Clement, who was on first team duty against Watford, included four first squad players in his line-up as Quaresma started alongside Mineiro, Stoch and Di Santo.

The last time these two teams met, the Blues completed a 2-0 victory courtesy of a Fabio Borini double; he started tonight's game in the attacking midfield position.

Chelsea were in control from the off, and Portsmouth never looked to threaten Rhys Taylor's goal while Borini and Stoch both had chances inside the first 15 minutes.

With 25 minutes gone, the Blues were in the lead. Di Santo broke down the centre and, after collecting a through-ball from Quaresma, pulled the ball back for the Portuguese winger to tap in from close range.

Minutes later it was nearly two, as the three-man Chelsea attack overpowered the Portsmouth defence, but an ill-placed shot from Stoch bounced across the face of goal before heading wide.

With the half-hour mark past, Chelsea had consistently flooded the Portsmouth box. Stoch, Di Santo and Borini had all produced chances, while Taylor watched untested from the Chelsea goals.

Five minutes from the break, Jacob Mellis, fresh on the field after Michael Woods was forced off with an injury, latched onto a Stoch through-ball before forcing an acrobatic save from the Pompey keeper to keep the Chelsea lead at 1-0.

The first half had seen nothing but Chelsea chances, with the three-man attack smothering Portsmouth's defence, had the side gone in at the break only 1-0 up, it would have been an injustice, fortunately this wasn't the case.

Seconds before the break, Tom Taiwo broke down the right before releasing an inch-perfect cross into the path of a sliding Di Santo, who tapped in from close range to double the lead.

The second half saw a different tempo from Chelsea as Portsmouth began to create chances, but despite Taylor finally seeing some action between the posts, the Blues were still in control.

Stoch, Di Santo and Borini all saw chances denied by Asmir Begovic between the Portsmouth posts, as Chelsea used counter-attack football to our advantage.

It took until the 72nd minute for Chelsea to increase the lead, when a Di Santo one-two with Mellis mirrored the opening goal, only this time it was Mellis who found the net instead of Quaresma to make it three.

Chelsea's third spurred the Blues back into action and the game was once again all ours, another flurry of possession meant a tough test for the Pompey defence, but Begovic consistently denied the Blues another goal.

However, his saves were eventually futile, as Chelsea's fourth came with 10 minutes to go.

Stoch sprinted down the flank before launching a shot toward the far post from just inside the box. Begovic blocked the attempt but instead knocked the ball into Di Santo's path, who smashed home from an acute angle.

That would be the Argentinean's last kick of the game as Clement decided to give Frank Nouble a run-out and the substitute was in on the action within five minutes to play.

Fabio Ferreira, who had only been on the field for two minutes himself, chipped a cross onto Nouble's foot only 10 yards from goal. Nouble then subsequently lobbed Begovic with an expert touch for our fifth.

Pompey were truly defeated, and on the stroke of full time, Quaresma made it six after dancing along the top of the box before launching a low shot into the bottom right to finish off a truly emphatic Chelsea win.

Chelsea FC (4-3-3): Rhys Taylor; Tom Taiwo, Nana Ofori Twumasi, Liam Bridcutt ©, Patrick van Aanholt; Michael Woods (Jacob Mellis 21), Mineiro, Fabio Borini (Fabio Ferreira 85); Miroslav Stoch, Franco Di Santo (Frank Nouble 82), Ricardo Quaresma.

Chelsea reserves produced a fantastic performance at Griffin Park this evening, thrashing Portsmouth in a six-goal thriller.

Goals from Franco Di Santo, Ricardo Quaresma, Jacob Mellis and Frank Nouble all added to the emphatic victory which took place in front of a watchful Guus Hiddink and Roman Abramovich.

Paul Clement, who was on first team duty against Watford, included four first squad players in his line-up as Quaresma started alongside Mineiro, Stoch and Di Santo.

The last time these two teams met, the Blues completed a 2-0 victory courtesy of a Fabio Borini double; he started tonight's game in the attacking midfield position.

Chelsea were in control from the off, and Portsmouth never looked to threaten Rhys Taylor's goal while Borini and Stoch both had chances inside the first 15 minutes.

With 25 minutes gone, the Blues were in the lead. Di Santo broke down the centre and, after collecting a through-ball from Quaresma, pulled the ball back for the Portuguese winger to tap in from close range.

Minutes later it was nearly two, as the three-man Chelsea attack overpowered the Portsmouth defence, but an ill-placed shot from Stoch bounced across the face of goal before heading wide.

With the half-hour mark past, Chelsea had consistently flooded the Portsmouth box. Stoch, Di Santo and Borini had all produced chances, while Taylor watched untested from the Chelsea goals.

Five minutes from the break, Jacob Mellis, fresh on the field after Michael Woods was forced off with an injury, latched onto a Stoch through-ball before forcing an acrobatic save from the Pompey keeper to keep the Chelsea lead at 1-0.

The first half had seen nothing but Chelsea chances, with the three-man attack smothering Portsmouth's defence, had the side gone in at the break only 1-0 up, it would have been an injustice, fortunately this wasn't the case.

Seconds before the break, Tom Taiwo broke down the right before releasing an inch-perfect cross into the path of a sliding Di Santo, who tapped in from close range to double the lead.

The second half saw a different tempo from Chelsea as Portsmouth began to create chances, but despite Taylor finally seeing some action between the posts, the Blues were still in control.

Stoch, Di Santo and Borini all saw chances denied by Asmir Begovic between the Portsmouth posts, as Chelsea used counter-attack football to our advantage.

It took until the 72nd minute for Chelsea to increase the lead, when a Di Santo one-two with Mellis mirrored the opening goal, only this time it was Mellis who found the net instead of Quaresma to make it three.

Chelsea's third spurred the Blues back into action and the game was once again all ours, another flurry of possession meant a tough test for the Pompey defence, but Begovic consistently denied the Blues another goal.

However, his saves were eventually futile, as Chelsea's fourth came with 10 minutes to go.

Stoch sprinted down the flank before launching a shot toward the far post from just inside the box. Begovic blocked the attempt but instead knocked the ball into Di Santo's path, who smashed home from an acute angle.

That would be the Argentinean's last kick of the game as Clement decided to give Frank Nouble a run-out and the substitute was in on the action within five minutes to play.

Fabio Ferreira, who had only been on the field for two minutes himself, chipped a cross onto Nouble's foot only 10 yards from goal. Nouble then subsequently lobbed Begovic with an expert touch for our fifth.

Pompey were truly defeated, and on the stroke of full time, Quaresma made it six after dancing along the top of the box before launching a low shot into the bottom right to finish off a truly emphatic Chelsea win.

Chelsea FC (4-3-3): Rhys Taylor; Tom Taiwo, Nana Ofori Twumasi, Liam Bridcutt ©, Patrick van Aanholt; Michael Woods (Jacob Mellis 21), Mineiro, Fabio Borini (Fabio Ferreira 85); Miroslav Stoch, Franco Di Santo (Frank Nouble 82), Ricardo Quaresma.

Quite a jump from the reserves to the Premier League but at least it shows that these lads mean business, including Quaresma.

Well done chaps..

The future's bright, the future's......................incredibly Foreign by the looks of it... :o

& we wonder why our England Team doens't win Trophies ???

Look no further at one of the reasons... :D

Well done chaps..

The future's bright, the future's......................incredibly Foreign by the looks of it... :o

& we wonder why our England Team doens't win Trophies ???

Look no further at one of the reasons... :D

........Or it could be that the English youngsters are not good enough and the ones that are would rather be pissing it up the wall.I knew plenty of blokes like that.

Lets see what result we get on Saturday before we get carried away shall we John! :o

Terry hails Hiddink's impact

Chelsea skipper John Terry insists Guus Hiddink has already made an immediate impact at Stamford Bridge.

Hiddink took charge of training for the first time this week following his appointment on a short-term deal until the end of the season.

Terry has been impressed by Hiddink's coaching methods and believes the Dutchman's arrival has every Blues player 'fighting for their place' in the side.

Hiddink, who will take charge of the side for the first time against Aston Villa this weekend, has wasted no time in stamping his own ideas on the squad.

"There are new styles, new methods. Training has looked really sharp," said Terry.

"Everyone is fighting for their places again. He's implemented a few things, he wants us to press more and play higher up the pitch."

........Or it could be that the English youngsters are not good enough and the ones that are would rather be pissing it up the wall.I knew plenty of blokes like that.

the simple fact is that english youngsters are not good enough, otherwise clubs wouldn't be out signing up twelve year old foreign talent.

and it isn't a club problem, it's an FA grass roots issue. the coaching is wrong from day one.

the simple fact is that english youngsters are not good enough, otherwise clubs wouldn't be out signing up twelve year old foreign talent.

and it isn't a club problem, it's an FA grass roots issue. the coaching is wrong from day one.

Agreed Stevie & it is a major problem..

I actually said to a few Pals whilst watching this Years European Championships that we may have to start to get used to Summers without England because of this problem..

However, at that age you mention ( 12 ) English Kids, if at Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Ure or even my beloved West Ham COULD become good enough Stevie if given a chance, surely you can see that Mate ??

IF they've got it in them, those Years between 12 & say, for arguments sake, 18 when they're capable of breaking the First Team, it WILL be found !!

Should Clubs have a reasponsibility to at least attempt to nurture x amount of Local/English talent otherwise we really might aswell give up on England in my opinion ??

& as if by magic............. :o

This one's 6, yes 6 !!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/featu...icle2247992.ece

The ball greedy little git.

If I was playing against him I would take the little <deleted>'s legs out! haha he does look good though but let him enjoy his childhood until he becomes 15/16 then take things seriously, otherwise he will be burnt out by the age of 23.

This one's 6, yes 6 !!

If I was playing against him I would take the little <deleted>'s legs out! haha he does look good though but let him enjoy his childhood until he becomes 15/16 then take things seriously, otherwise he will be burnt out by the age of 23.

There is a few a these superstar youtube kids there was on from Brazil a few years ago be interesting to see what becomes of them ........ Scott Parker was the ball juggling trickster from the Mcdonalds advert 15 odd years age - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrqiFBJ7Np4

This one's 6, yes 6 !!

There is a few a these superstar youtube kids there was on from Brazil a few years ago be interesting to see what becomes of them ........ Scott Parker was the ball juggling trickster from the Mcdonalds advert 15 odd years age - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrqiFBJ7Np4

Who, Jimmy Parker ?? :D

kerlon. known as 'the seal'. gets exactly what he deserves in this clip:

This one's 6, yes 6 !!

Yeah,but he's not English.I can just imagine the comment from an English youth 'coach'(I use the term loosely) if someone like him turned up at a coaching session."Now,now melad,can't have any of that 'fancy dan'stuff here,we'll show you what real football is."

The coaching system in England is a total mess from grass roots upwards.From an early age,the emphasis is on the art of winning rather than teaching the art of skilful football.When an English kid does come along with a bit of talent,the media and press go overboard with adjectives like "fantastic,marvelous,wonderful."If he was foreign,he wouldnt get a mention.

This one's 6, yes 6 !!

Yeah,but he's not English.I can just imagine the comment from an English youth 'coach'(I use the term loosely) if someone like him turned up at a coaching session."Now,now melad,can't have any of that 'fancy dan'stuff here,we'll show you what real football is."

The coaching system in England is a total mess from grass roots upwards.From an early age,the emphasis is on the art of winning rather than teaching the art of skilful football.When an English kid does come along with a bit of talent,the media and press go overboard with adjectives like "fantastic,marvelous,wonderful."If he was foreign,he wouldnt get a mention.

Yes i couldnt agree more, i remember our teacher with his hoof the ball as far as you can up the field tactics instead of trying to beat a man when we were about 10, fortunately i knew better.

I took my mates boy to football recently he's 9 and the were playing 8 a side on a full size pitch with full size goals, i'd hoped theyd moved on from that.

Also the schools of excellence take on the big tall kids who can kick the ball harder and the shorter kids who have better technique rarely get a shout, there doesnt seem to be a bit of foresight to realise the shorter ones with better technique will get taller.

Edited by sanmiguel

I know he's not a bad player, but wont every Chelsea fan be chuffed to bits to see the end of this jumped up, deluded, whining tw4t.

I like the quote about being a family, <deleted> he's been asking to leave this family since the day he joined it.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,1...4949519,00.html

Ivory Coast international striker Drogba was never at his best under former boss Scolari, who was sacked earlier this month.

The Brazilian coach even singled out Drogba for blame following the Blues' Premier League defeat at Manchester United in January, and the 30-year-old feels this was the beginning of the end for Scolari.

"When you manage a team like Chelsea, you need to unite the team when things are rough - not divide them," Drogba told The Sun.

"Chelsea is a family - and a family needs to be together. When Scolari started blaming individuals, then that was bad.

"To name one player as to blame for what happened in a squad of 24 is wrong."

Drogba was singled out by Scolari as one of the players that went behind his back to meet with owner Roman Abramovich, but the Ivorian denies this.

"I was shocked he said that," he continued.

"How can one player be responsible for not winning for so many weeks and losing points?

"This is not an individual sport. When you win games, everyone is happy and enjoys it together. But when we lose, we have to lose together too.

"And if I had as much power with the owner as has been said, then Jose Mourinho would still be here, no? If I had that power!

"I have respect for Scolari as a man and a coach, but I was not involved in any discussions with the owner."

Drogba admits he is delighted with the appointment of Hiddink.

"Hiddink is just what Chelsea need right now," he opined.

"I think with this coach, there are a lot of good things to come.

"If you ask the players if the intensity has increased, then they will tell you how tired they are when they go home.

"There is no great need for him to come and speak to the players individually.

"We know that we are not in a good position in the league.

"We have to get better - and we will."

Chelsea face a crucial league game away to Aston Villa at lunchtime on Saturday. The Blues, in fourth spot, trail third-placed Villa by two points going into the clash at Villa Park.

This one's 6, yes 6 !!

Yes i couldnt agree more, i remember our teacher with his hoof the ball as far as you can up the field tactics instead of trying to beat a man when we were about 10, fortunately i knew better.

I took my mates boy to football recently he's 9 and the were playing 8 a side on a full size pitch with full size goals, i'd hoped theyd moved on from that.

Also the schools of excellence take on the big tall kids who can kick the ball harder and the shorter kids who have better technique rarely get a shout, there doesnt seem to be a bit of foresight to realise the shorter ones with better technique will get taller.

I remember seeing a youth international between England and Russia a few years ago. The English team were twice the size of their Russian counterparts but had half the ability.Result?They were run over.Whereas the English were slow in movement and even more pedestrian in thought,the Russians were skilful and inventive.

& as if by magic............. :D

This one's 6, yes 6 !!

" When in doubt, kick it out " was the terrible term they used to tell us... :o

Britain invests something like 20 times the amount that Australia does on youth tennis(lottery money and the lawn tennis association is the richest in the world), but because it all gets invested into the old boys network and the same old people with the same failing ideas Britain constantly are crap at tennis, it seems we're doing the same in football.

Now the FA must easily be the richest governing body in the world so youd think theyd sought it out with some structure, and ban all fullsize pitches and goals from schools. Instead of overpaying a succession of managers and that includes Capello whether he wins the world cup or not he's paid 4 million a year more for managing England then he'd get for managing Italy.

Also when i took these kids to football one of the people teaching them was a fat women who knew nothing about football, it was 5 pound subs (it should be free), and at the end of the game they gave about half the kids a medal for scoring a goal or having a good game, <deleted> me when i were a boy you had to win a cup or the league or be player of the season to get such a reward.

Rant over!

Edited by sanmiguel

I know he's not a bad player, but wont every Chelsea fan be chuffed to bits to see the end of this jumped up, deluded, whining tw4t.

I like the quote about being a family, <deleted> he's been asking to leave this family since the day he joined it.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,1...4949519,00.html

Ivory Coast international striker Drogba was never at his best under former boss Scolari, who was sacked earlier this month.

The Brazilian coach even singled out Drogba for blame following the Blues' Premier League defeat at Manchester United in January, and the 30-year-old feels this was the beginning of the end for Scolari.

"When you manage a team like Chelsea, you need to unite the team when things are rough - not divide them," Drogba told The Sun.

"Chelsea is a family - and a family needs to be together. When Scolari started blaming individuals, then that was bad.

"To name one player as to blame for what happened in a squad of 24 is wrong."

Drogba was singled out by Scolari as one of the players that went behind his back to meet with owner Roman Abramovich, but the Ivorian denies this.

"I was shocked he said that," he continued.

"How can one player be responsible for not winning for so many weeks and losing points?

"This is not an individual sport. When you win games, everyone is happy and enjoys it together. But when we lose, we have to lose together too.

"And if I had as much power with the owner as has been said, then Jose Mourinho would still be here, no? If I had that power!

"I have respect for Scolari as a man and a coach, but I was not involved in any discussions with the owner."

Drogba admits he is delighted with the appointment of Hiddink.

"Hiddink is just what Chelsea need right now," he opined.

"I think with this coach, there are a lot of good things to come.

"If you ask the players if the intensity has increased, then they will tell you how tired they are when they go home.

"There is no great need for him to come and speak to the players individually.

"We know that we are not in a good position in the league.

"We have to get better - and we will."

Chelsea face a crucial league game away to Aston Villa at lunchtime on Saturday. The Blues, in fourth spot, trail third-placed Villa by two points going into the clash at Villa Park.

The "family" quote is a bit rich coming from him.Scolari obviously favoured Anelka basically because he scored more goals and looked lively.Drogba,on the other hand,was a disgrace to his profession when he was called upon to add some impetus.There was no interest and,if I had been Abramovich,I would have stopped his wages.It can't be quick enough for me to see him kicked out........even if he does better under Hiddink.

Watched the Aston Villa game last night and there was a very visable improvement during the first half. Second half was not so good but it could easily have been 2 - 0 after Ballacks blast from Deco's lay off.

Still, probably a bit late in the day for a serious chance of the title but prospects now look better for the Champions League. :o

Watched the Aston Villa game last night and there was a very visable improvement during the first half. Second half was not so good but it could easily have been 2 - 0 after Ballacks blast from Deco's lay off.

Still, probably a bit late in the day for a serious chance of the title but prospects now look better for the Champions League. :o

What I saw last night was a much more reserved style of play which complimented the type of player we have in the team now.We have technically skilful,good passers of the ball that are slow.Hiddink,to his credit has addressed this straight away.Drogba probably earned 5% of his weekly wage yesterday which is 5% more than he has mustered over the last two months.He's just a shadow of the player he was.Bosingwa annoys the hel_l out of me.He can't tackle to save his life.John Terry and Frank Lampard were outstanding and Ferreira did a good job considering he hasn't played lately.

Cech rejects unrest talk

Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech has denied rumours of unrest among the squad at Stamford Bridge.

There have been rumours of discontent in the Chelsea camp among the players in the wake of Luiz Felipe Scolari's departure.

Reports suggested player power helped remove Scolari from his post with Cech, Michael Ballack, and Didier Drogba allegedly key in persuading Blues owner Roman Abramovich to axe Scolari after having a meeting with the Russian.

Cech has denied there is a split in the camp and believes Saturday's win at Aston Villa shows the spirit in the sqaud remains intact.

"I think there was a lot of reports about Chelsea being divided in the dressing room and stuff like that but it has never been true," Cech told Sky Sports News.

"This club since I have arrived there is something which keeps the momentum, keeps the club going and that is the strength in the dressing room.

"I think the players have a great relationship. We stick together, the team has a sprit and even in a difficult time we show now and again that this is the case."

Cech was delighted with the 1-0 win over Villa as Chelsea ended a poor run of results and he felt the reaction of the players showed how important the victory was to them.

"I think it was the reaction after the game it was not showing off for the cameras it was because we felt it was a massive game and we knew it was going to be difficult and we made it," added Cech.

"This was great to know that when you finish a poor run of results with a massive victory like that you are delighted."

Lampard hails coach influence

Frank Lampard has paid tribute to current manager Guus Hiddink and former coach Claudio Ranieri, as the two men prepare to meet on Wednesday night.

Hiddink began his reign as Chelsea boss with a 1-0 win over rivals Aston Villa at the weekend, and Lampard believes that whatever new methods the Dutchman brings to the club, they will all focus towards that single aim of recording victory.

"Every coach has slightly different ideas, but the one idea is that you want to win and I think that's going to be idea that the manager comes in with and that's the idea that the players have," the talismanic midfielder told Sky Sports News.

"We haven't performed as well as we should have this season, particularly in the past two or three months, and I think with the quality that we've got in the squad we should have performed better.

"But we've still got great chances in every competition that we are in and that makes Wednesday the huge game that it is."

Indeed, Wednesday brings a familiar face back to the club as Stamford Bridge welcomes Claudio Ranieri's Juventus for the UEFA Champions League knockout stages.

Ranieri was the man that brought Lampard to the club back in 2001, and the England international has moved to thank the Italian for making him the player that he is today.

"Without Claudio Ranieri I probably wouldn't be sitting here," admitted Lampard.

"He brought me to Chelsea at a time when £11million seemed a lot of money for me, so I have the utmost respect for him.

"I think he's a great man as well as a great manager and I saw that as soon as I met him many years ago. He helped me develop from a West Ham player who hadn't seen the real world in football terms - I had just seen a small part of it - and he opened my eyes to a lot of things."

Despite nurturing Lampard to become one of the club's all-time greats, Ranieri exited the club in 2004 in acrimonious circumstances after failing to find Roman Abramovich's favour.

Ranieri has since expressed his disappointment at not being given the chance to build a great side with Chelsea, but Lampard himself does not feel that his former mentor will be preoccupied with anything more than getting a result.

"I don't think Ranieri is going to be thinking about having a point to prove, I think he is going to be thinking about winning the game for Juventus and trying to get through to the next round," Lampard added.

"It adds a little touch to the game because he's very well held here with the fans. I think everyone respects the way he carried himself through his time here, particularly in the end."

Lampard hails coach influence

Frank Lampard has paid tribute to current manager Guus Hiddink and former coach Claudio Ranieri, as the two men prepare to meet on Wednesday night.

Hiddink began his reign as Chelsea boss with a 1-0 win over rivals Aston Villa at the weekend, and Lampard believes that whatever new methods the Dutchman brings to the club, they will all focus towards that single aim of recording victory.

"Every coach has slightly different ideas, but the one idea is that you want to win and I think that's going to be idea that the manager comes in with and that's the idea that the players have," the talismanic midfielder told Sky Sports News.

"We haven't performed as well as we should have this season, particularly in the past two or three months, and I think with the quality that we've got in the squad we should have performed better.

"But we've still got great chances in every competition that we are in and that makes Wednesday the huge game that it is."

Indeed, Wednesday brings a familiar face back to the club as Stamford Bridge welcomes Claudio Ranieri's Juventus for the UEFA Champions League knockout stages.

Ranieri was the man that brought Lampard to the club back in 2001, and the England international has moved to thank the Italian for making him the player that he is today.

"Without Claudio Ranieri I probably wouldn't be sitting here," admitted Lampard.

"He brought me to Chelsea at a time when £11million seemed a lot of money for me, so I have the utmost respect for him.

"I think he's a great man as well as a great manager and I saw that as soon as I met him many years ago. He helped me develop from a West Ham player who hadn't seen the real world in football terms - I had just seen a small part of it - and he opened my eyes to a lot of things."

Despite nurturing Lampard to become one of the club's all-time greats, Ranieri exited the club in 2004 in acrimonious circumstances after failing to find Roman Abramovich's favour.

Ranieri has since expressed his disappointment at not being given the chance to build a great side with Chelsea, but Lampard himself does not feel that his former mentor will be preoccupied with anything more than getting a result.

"I don't think Ranieri is going to be thinking about having a point to prove, I think he is going to be thinking about winning the game for Juventus and trying to get through to the next round," Lampard added.

"It adds a little touch to the game because he's very well held here with the fans. I think everyone respects the way he carried himself through his time here, particularly in the end."

Well,we got the win but it was far from convincing with too many misplaced passes.This allowed Juventus to come into the game but they too lost possession easily,and so it when on.Chelsea dominated the early exchanges and got the goal which proved to be the winner,a terrific defence splitting through ball by Kalou which either Lampard or Drogba could have converted before Drogba seized on to it.Thereafter,the game became to frantic with plenty of closing down in midfield which stifled the flow of the game.Juventus showed enough,especially in the second half,to remind Chelsea that the second leg in Turin will be tough.Great to see Claudio Ranieri get a round of applause from the Chelsea fans before the game.Thoroughly deserved for his work at the club.

Good result last night but I would of felt more comfortable if we banged in another, those headers Drogba missed were a pity, he seems to be a little more focused since Hiddink has arrived.

Anelka was like a ghost floating around on either flank, he is playing far too deep at times also. We are missing Joey Cole for a bit of genius and link up play...what's happening with Quaresma?

if he is just gona sit on the bench he can <deleted> off back to Inter. The 2nd leg in Turin will be battle of tactics I feel, as long as we go out positively our defense should withstand their aging attackers.